Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

A lot of really bad American comedies in the last ten years or so have been going that way. Just point the camera at your cast and get them to say funny stuff. It's crap.

Agreed. I can't even remember the last American comedy I really loved. Probably Stepbrothers, an opinion that is no doubt divisive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

priznat posted:

Agreed. I can't even remember the last American comedy I really loved. Probably Stepbrothers, an opinion that is no doubt divisive.

I think mine is Tropic Thunder.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grand Budapest Hotel was really good

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

I hope the new film shows people how good the Jackson one was. FWIW I have seen that trailer as two separate trailers before this so I think that one literally is just them reuploaded as one.

It wasn't just reuploaded to YouTube I actually saw that trailer when I saw Logan lol.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I think mine is Tropic Thunder.

I liked Ghostbusters 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

a bone to pick posted:

It wasn't just reuploaded to YouTube I actually saw that trailer when I saw Logan lol.

Good lord lmao

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
the last great American comedy was hot fuzz.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

General Dog posted:

Which drops first, the Avatar sequel or the next Song of Ice and Fire book?

George R. R. Martin from a heart attack.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

priznat posted:

Frances Ha

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like Peter Jackson's King Kong because of all the crazy dinosaurs and stuff that happens on SKull Island, and the lead-up to it. It was way too long to sit through in the theater but at home its not so bad.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Blue Star posted:

I like Peter Jackson's King Kong because of all the crazy dinosaurs and stuff that happens on SKull Island, and the lead-up to it. It was way too long to sit through in the theater but at home its not so bad.

The lead-up to Skull Island was 75% of the movie.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

dreezy posted:

the last great American comedy was hot fuzz.

Hot Fuzz is one of my all time fav comedies bar none.

Speaking of Edgar Wright joints I am really keen to see Baby Driver.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Krinkle posted:

Is the ending he's basically insane? I skipped around but without the context of the movie I don't get it.
The wikipedia plot summary does it better than I can explain, basically he does goes insane as most Lovecraftian protagonists do (the story is mostly told in flashback too while the protagonist is in a insane asylum which is another common thing Lovecraft did)

There is a great documentary on Lovecraft from 2009 on Youtube with guys like Neil Gaiman, Del Toro, Stuart Gordon, and Carpenter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg9VCf5einY

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Squashing Machine posted:

It was kind of charming to see it pop up in spots in The Force Awakens

I had the opposite reaction.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

achillesforever6 posted:

The wikipedia plot summary does it better than I can explain, basically he does goes insane as most Lovecraftian protagonists do (the story is mostly told in flashback too while the protagonist is in a insane asylum which is another common thing Lovecraft did)

There is a great documentary on Lovecraft from 2009 on Youtube with guys like Neil Gaiman, Del Toro, Stuart Gordon, and Carpenter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg9VCf5einY

Haha what's up with 1:06:10 why's this guy taking a weird swipe at islam? All through the documentary he's like "yeah lovecraft was racist as gently caress but give him a break" and then an hour in he's all "and mooselimbs gonna behead us all"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

priznat posted:

Everybody Wants Some!! was one of the best movies of last year period.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Is it based on this??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz6Kcz62onA

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

tropic thinder good, bridesmaids good, grand butapus hotel good, strange wilderness gfood

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

nice guys was like comedy noir / death slapstick but if that counts then nice guys too

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i actually havent seen strange wilderness a second time since i saw it in theaters. i was loving dying of laughter the first tome but ; ive always been afraid it won't hold up on re-watching

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Nice Guys is great especially for the shot of the guys falling off the building. :stare:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

There's plenty of good comedy still to be found, it's really just that the prominent Apatow-Fieg brand of comedy takes up all the air in the room and is what we consider straight "Comedy" these days, and it's really played out. The 40 Year Old Virgin was funny though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really like Hunt for the Wilderpeople, most recent comedy I actually laughed at. Some great Sam Neil.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

I really like Hunt for the Wilderpeople, most recent comedy I actually laughed at. Some great Sam Neil.

It was really good, and it was a dark comedy which I didn't expect.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Baronjutter posted:

I'm glad Sam Neill is showing up in Thor 3 too, not just for the Jurassic Park reunion with Goldblum, but also directed by the same guy who did Hunt for the Wilderpeople

priznat posted:

The Nice Guys is great especially for the shot of the guys falling off the building. :stare:
Shane Black movies are so good even though they follow the same beats, guy knows how to write perfect dialogue, and also good at directing kid actors.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
John C. Reilly with a samurai sword was the best part of Kong and I don't give a gently caress if you disagree with me. I laughed.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Shinjobi posted:

John C. Reilly with a samurai sword was the best part of Kong and I don't give a gently caress if you disagree with me. I laughed.

I'm hearing very mixed reports, snobs hate it but nerds love it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

Nerds are snobs

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

a bone to pick posted:

Pacific Rim for a new generation?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Get out was good.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Great now I'm going to put on Better Off Dead for the 100th night of my life, thanks a lot

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Baronjutter posted:

not an american comedy tho, it's from australia's canada

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Logan works as a comedy if sadness makes you laugh.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Sazabi posted:

Logan works as a comedy if sadness makes you laugh.

*in an extremely rich evans voice* yes

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
That shotgun blast to the head/eye socket should have killed x24, Fallout style. Guess it went in at a bad angle.

:goonsay:

Seeing the great Xavier reciting taco bell commercials in a state of dementia was neat.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Magic Mike XXL was a good comedy

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Getting to preview the new beauty and the beast.

There's just no way for the cg to compete with the original animation. No charm, just...blah, soulless standard cg. It kills me and takes me out of the whole thing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Plus the Beast keeps trying to mount Belle constantly.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 14, 2017

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Squashing Machine posted:

Great now I'm going to put on Better Off Dead for the 100th night of my life, thanks a lot

It's a really great movie and nails its tone and style so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

Getting to preview the new beauty and the beast.

There's just no way for the cg to compete with the original animation. No charm, just...blah, soulless standard cg. It kills me and takes me out of the whole thing.

Was there ever any doubt? It didn't even look like the real actors were any good.

• Locked thread