Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Regy Rusty posted:

I managed to find 117 shrines without a guide but I had to look up the last three. They all ended up being in the Gerudo area and I missed them because they had localized puzzles or shrine quests and therefore didn't beep.

Bizarrely the one other major thing I missed was the southwestern Akkala stable, despite having found its shrine.

Yeah I think if I end up guiding it I'll wait until I'm well and truly frustrated with it, but I've got some ideas (which is to say, giant empty spots on the map) to investigate first and I'm not in any rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just really want the classic set :(

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Your Computer posted:

I think it would completely ruin the atmosphere of the game if we had the field music DA DAHHH DA NA NA NA NAAAA blaring at all times. The music is incredibly well done in this game, the few piano notes here and there with all the ambient sounds make the game immersive as heck :3: The times when there is music, like the towns and such are always great too.

It's a different type of experience than Wind Waker, OoT etc. and I think the music (and use of it) in this game is fantastic. And I'm saying that as someone who loves the Wind Waker soundtrack to death.

I agree with all of your points but it really would be nice if the main Zelda song played at least once.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I was kind of dreading exploring Gerudo Desert because sand seals are shifty little bastards and like to disappear on you.

Then I remembered shield surfing is a thing that exists and it is now my favorite area in the game. The sand doesn't slow you down at all!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Soundtrack talk: I love how much of the old classic melodies have been worked into the more ambient songs of BotW. Has anyone made a list yet of these "cameos"? Like how there's some Sheik's theme is in the Kara Kara Bazaar song, some Link's Awakening caves in the Shrine song, some Zelda 1 Spectacle Rock in the Death Mountain song etc.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

comingafteryouall posted:

I was kind of dreading exploring Gerudo Desert because sand seals are shifty little bastards and like to disappear on you.

Then I remembered shield surfing is a thing that exists and it is now my favorite area in the game. The sand doesn't slow you down at all!

I think if you rent a seal explicitly they're better trained to not wander.

(I just whistlesprinted in sand boots all over that zone)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

DoctorWhat posted:

If you press Plus, you can open your inventory immediately from the pickup prompt.

Only if you had space in the inventory and actually picked up the weapon. If your inventory is full, you get no such prompt.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Oh, so if you take a photo of a boss and die, you don't keep the photo. :(

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
On my 2nd playthrough with the HUD set to Pro.

Now I comb through the lands with more appreciation and still love murdering moblins via broken royal swords thrown in their faces. I don't know if you guys have noticed, but this game is good.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

well that's a lot of her dialogue. But I think there's something legitimately interesting about such an iconic weapon not just being a legacy item, but a friend Link is reunited with again and again, silently supporting him across generations.

I like the concept of Fi's existence, but she was handled pretty poorly and really could have really benefited from character development over the course of the game. They pulled the starting to have emotions thing at the very end, when it was already too late for you to start considering her a friend instead of just a system message that tells you what boss doors mean and when your wiimote batteries are low.

Maybe they intended her character to be a missed opportunity so you would feel bad that she essentially died immediately after saying she felt happiness now and wished she could spend more time with you, but that doesn't really do anything for the entire duration of the game where she sucked.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

So I'm down to sub-20 shrines left, is there any in-game hint mechanism for "shrines you've missed" or is it just going to be "stumble around the areas that look like they don't have an even coating of shrines yet"

Shiek sensor doesn't beep for shrines you've already visited, so just leave that on since most of the time it won't do anything anyways and then yeah, explore places that look like they might be missing a shrine.

Alternatively just look up a map online, but that's no fun.

BlackFrost posted:

I really wish this game would let you discard weapons when your inventory is full and you find one in a chest or something.

That's my dumb minor gripe with this game.

e: To clarify, I mean right as you pick the weapon up, without having to dig into your menu.

Throw them? It works fine :)

Only thing this doesn't work on is the magic rods, since they have a ranged attack for the throw move.

Your Computer posted:

Soundtrack talk: I love how much of the old classic melodies have been worked into the more ambient songs of BotW. Has anyone made a list yet of these "cameos"? Like how there's some Sheik's theme is in the Kara Kara Bazaar song, some Link's Awakening caves in the Shrine song, some Zelda 1 Spectacle Rock in the Death Mountain song etc.

Epona's theme is in the stables tune briefly as well.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Well, I beat it. That was an extremely wet fart of an ending, but man, what a journey.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

Epona's theme is in the stables tune briefly as well.

Speaking of :smith:, how about those stable ruins

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Where do I get ancient cores? I got two from shrines, but then I triple parried a stalker and got giant ancient cores. Talk about a letdown.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Man, my luck with drops seems more terrible than usual. Why can't I get any Lizalfols tails no matter how many of these guys I kill?..."

*Checks photo based compendium* "Oh, regular plain green ones don't drop tails because reasons :shepface:"

Then Link went to the desert and came out ahead 10+ tails, and a bunch of shiny new knight claymores and maximum spikes lizard gear. Yay for happy endings.

DalaranJ posted:

Where do I get ancient cores? I got two from shrines, but then I triple parried a stalker and got giant ancient cores. Talk about a letdown.
Murphy's law based RNG, really. Murdering proper guardians has a chance, but it's still just a chance. So I think I killed... six? seven? A good amount of proper guardians before seeing a single core (my other two were also from shrine chests). As a heads up, the stationary ones that don't have working legs can not drop cores of any kind.

Catch 22. You want Ancient parts so you can fight guardians better. But you need to be good at fighting guardians to get ancient parts.

Oh right, speaking of Guardian stuff. Does anybody know offhand what the difference is (if any) between the Gerudo Diamond Jewlery's bonus vs Guardians, and the Ancient Set's bonus vs guardians? (Is it set bonus based? one piece at a time stacking? both)

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Beat the game, now it's time to 100% the game, which should be uh...

All Pictures
All Korok Seeds
All Shrines
All Side quests

Anything else I'm missing? Unsure if there's a checklist in-game or something.

Also does Kass show up anywhere playing his theme after the shrine stuff? it's good as all hell.

Also other question: Is there a wiki or something that shows all armor sets that give bonuses? I'm wondering about a few that may exist

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Best horse name: Pony Danza

Ganonhors

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm very deep into the game and need to know two things:

1) where the gently caress is the song of storms. is it actually not in the game?

2) are there any overt majora's mask shoutouts? i haven't come across anything which has disappointed me

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

murked by dragon posted:

1) where the gently caress is the song of storms. is it actually not in the game?

2) are there any overt majora's mask shoutouts? i haven't come across anything which has disappointed me

1. No

2. No

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Section Z posted:

Oh right, speaking of Guardian stuff. Does anybody know offhand what the difference is (if any) between the Gerudo Diamond Jewlery's bonus vs Guardians, and the Ancient Set's bonus vs guardians? (Is it set bonus based? one piece at a time stacking? both)

The only real difference is that the Diamond Jewelry won't activate the full set bonus if used alongside the Ancient set, but you'll still have the full level 3 Guardian protection if you do that. I feel like it's mostly there in case you either don't like the helmet for the actual set, or you don't want to dump as many guardian resources into a full set.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dizz posted:

Beat the game, now it's time to 100% the game, which should be uh...

All Pictures
All Korok Seeds
All Shrines
All Side quests

Anything else I'm missing? Unsure if there's a checklist in-game or something.

Also does Kass show up anywhere playing his theme after the shrine stuff? it's good as all hell.

Also other question: Is there a wiki or something that shows all armor sets that give bonuses? I'm wondering about a few that may exist

the entire compendium

note that you will literally lose your mind attempting this

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

cheetah7071 posted:

the entire compendium

note that you will literally lose your mind attempting this

You can buy your way to completion with the Compendium from Symin in Hateno though it's going to cost you a lot of money if you buy everything, I have 8 photos left but they're all the expensive ones, 500 a pop, and I'm broke as poo poo. I'll probably have to farm rupees from the Lurelin village game.

You also need to get all of the memories.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

s.i.r.e. posted:

You can buy your way to completion with the Compendium from Symin in Hateno though it's going to cost you a lot of money if you buy everything, I have 8 photos left but they're all the expensive ones, 500 a pop, and I'm broke as poo poo. I'll probably have to farm rupees from the Lurelin village game.

You also need to get all of the memories.

yeah the compendium isn't insanely bad, it's the korok seeds that will literally kill you

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

murked by dragon posted:

even in the places where the game rattles off a bunch of references to past titles at once, there's no Majora's Mask shoutout. i guess since it happened in an 'alternate world' or whatever it doesn't get anything

dataminers did find an unreleased Majora's Mask related Amiibo that can give you the full Fierce Deity Link outfit and sword but there's no way to know if that's cut content or future content

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Kelp Plankton posted:

even in the places where the game rattles off a bunch of references to past titles at once, there's no Majora's Mask shoutout. i guess since it happened in an 'alternate world' or whatever it doesn't get anything

dataminers did find an unreleased Majora's Mask related Amiibo that can give you the full Fierce Deity Link outfit and sword but there's no way to know if that's cut content or future content

Future content, it's in the official guide.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

drat, getting to Zora's Domain was a hell of a hike. Even though this game is open world it still has really good level design, the entire path was littered with interesting enemy placements and traps. The pair of lightning-arrow guys behind a large puddle of water was a particularly nasty set-up.

I assume I was supposed to sneak past the Lynel and steal his arrows? I just downed an armor potion and a max heart-boosting position and went at him. Was crazy fun.

First dungeon was very cool. Were people really complaining about this?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

SystemLogoff posted:

Future content, it's in the official guide.

oh cool, well looking forward to buying whatever that amiibo ends up being then. hopefully they do a second run of the other 30th Zelda amiibos alongside the new ones because that OOT Link outfit looks drat good in BotW and he's basically impossible to get right now

still have only managed to get the full Windwaker outfit so far, plus the hat from Twilight and the Classic shirt. with how much special stuff these take to upgrade anyway i guess it's not a huge deal that it's taking a while, but it'd be nice to have the sets completed before i finish all the shrines

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I went to Hyrule Castle to get the last memory. Pretty drat cool place, felt like a proper dungeon minus puzzles. Which is fine by me since the other 4 dungeons are really just elaborate puzzles.

Also I climbed to the top of Hyrule Castle and the view is pretty drat good. And of course there's a loving Korok there what are you little idiots doing here

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Are the dungeon bosses fixed in difficulty or is there some kind of scaling in place? Is there an order you're more or less expected to do them in? Because the water boss definitely felt like a first boss to me

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Kelp Plankton posted:

oh cool, well looking forward to buying whatever that amiibo ends up being then. hopefully they do a second run of the other 30th Zelda amiibos alongside the new ones because that OOT Link outfit looks drat good in BotW and he's basically impossible to get right now

Got the last OOT Link from my local Toys R Us on Sunday. They still had a lot of 8 bit Links. All the Gamestops have nothing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Augus posted:

Are the dungeon bosses fixed in difficulty or is there some kind of scaling in place? Is there an order you're more or less expected to do them in? Because the water boss definitely felt like a first boss to me

Fixed, but some are deffo rougher.

murked by dragon posted:

a pond named after mikau is the only thing that jumped out at me

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
One day I hope to see those weird aliens from MM return as a boss fight.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Does the master sword not start recharging until it's completely broke/drained?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Augus posted:

I think there might be some scaling. I found all of them trivially easy except the Gerudo boss which was very tough. I did it last so it could have been slightly because of scaling, but probably mostly static, the Gerudo questline is also the longest and feels like they wanted you to do it last.

The bosses are kinda weird because if you happen to have a powerful weapon for your level (not hard to come by in this game) you can do so much damage to them so fast that you pretty much skip them every using certain attacks.

I hope Hard Mode cranks all the bosses up to the same level.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've finally uncovered the entire map so I decided to go memory hunting, they were surprisingly easy to get now that I know all the locations :3: I'm missing one which I assume is in the castle? It looks like it's on a castle wall anyway, someone please confirm/deny.

Also got the Master Sword. I'm super intrigued by Zelda's character in this game, I wish there were twice as many memories! Love her design too, all in all it's looking like she might be my favorite incarnation of Zelda to date.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

I think there might be some scaling. I found all of them trivially easy except the Gerudo boss which was very tough. I did it last so it could have been slightly because of scaling, but probably mostly static, the Gerudo questline is also the longest and feels like they wanted you to do it last.

Honestly the "hard part" of the gerudo boss is just the arena being a tube with awkwardly placed platforms. The same fight in the Sanctum is way easier.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Honestly the "hard part" of the gerudo boss is just the arena being a tube with awkwardly placed platforms. The same fight in the Sanctum is way easier.

I actually think he might have kinda bugged out against me. I watched some streamers fight him after I did it, wondering what I was missing, and the fight was completely different for them.

when he did the dash move, he'd only hit me once and then dash away and stop. Against them he'd do a 3 hit combo, where the 3rd hit was very easy to perfect dodge to get a window to hit him, but he literally NEVER did that against me. He would dash, which breaks lock-on, then hit me once, then dash away. It was impossible. The actual gimmick of the fight with the lightning posts was super easy, but I couldn't even get him to get into the phase where he did that because I was stuck in the first phase with a sliver of health left above 50% and he just kept doing the same bullshit

I think lots of the bosses have changes to their attacks based on how low their health gets, not just the obvious major phases. And like I said, if you have a high damage weapon, you can push them right through that stage to killing them. But if you happen to leave them alive with just a sliver, then its ridiculously hard to actually finish them off.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
He only did dashes at me and I never figured out how to properly dodge them. What I did was tank the hit with a shield which caused him to recoil, and then I just hit him with my heaviest weapon. His guard would eventually break and let me beat him up.

The lightning post part actually gave me the most trouble for two reasons. One, trying to use magnesis in the middle of a fight on very thin objects is not easy. Two, I naturally assumed the giant monster that attacked with lightning was immune to lightning. So rather than just hold it next to him I was trying to impale him with the posts by holding them high above his head and dropping them. The game had to literally spell out "hey dumbass you're just supposed to shock him".

EDIT: The combat in this game is probably significantly harder if you never uses shields honestly. Shield durability is very high and lets you tank pretty much anything once you get the good ones. I've noticed Lynel in particular are much easier if I just let them punch my shield rather than try to dodge every single one of their attacks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

man nurse posted:

1. No

2. No

:wrong:

If you talk to the moon researcher at Duelling Peaks Stable during a Full Moon, he'll tell you something like "it looks so big and that it could fall at any moment".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I thought I was getting pretty good at this game until I found a major test of strength