Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Hoooollllyyyy poo poo.

So this is worse than our worst case estimates but somehow we have come out relatively intact.

IKA AND SANDMAN REPORT!

The way we have deployed in town (against my orders I might add, I was explicit that the bde deploy along the western outskirts) may have hosed us if they charge so holy poo poo lets hope that we can counter-charge or the MG do their jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Our support should supress or kill some of the three combat capable cars next turn, I'm pretty sure we have enough troops to kill them, including the two that retreated. It's kind of down to whether our brigade has enough to survive a morale check.

Second brigade isn't in an optimal formation, but I very much doubt the BEF will survive an attack if we just stay in the town and let the support cut them down as they charge.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Just look at all our machine guns. Historically charging emplaced machine guns with dudes on horsies goes one way and one way only. Just tell our guys to stop, drop, and get ready to roll, and get 3bde moved up. We are doing great.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I dont think we can see the AC till they fire as they are in the sunken road. Our own MG fire at the same time soooo we dont see them till they cut down our horsemen and then its too late to fire? Is this the correct interpreation of the rules cause we may be about to be reamed by them.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

quote:

Spotting occurs during any phase when a Company is within the unobstructed Spotting Range of an enemy company; each company determines spotting individually, but informs the entire brigade of what it has seen.

quote:

On the right of the map is the Chemin Creux, a sunken road. A company located on the Chemin Creux has spotting and protective cover. If an Entrenchment is dug inside the Chemin Creux, it gives additional protection, and blocks other units from moving along the road at their usual movement rate.

quote:

The sunken road offers the same protective cover as a trench; however, companies in the sunken road can spot other companies in the sunken road at unmodified spotting distance. A trench in the sunken road is more protective than a trench anywhere else, and you're back to trench spotting.

With all three of these rules together, you aren't going to lose sight of them as long as they stick around. The front companies will spot for the support ones. There's not enough ACs to kill them all, and while I don't know exactly when in the firing ACs get their turn, the artillery at least should fire first.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Man after being sick for three days straight then seeing this I am nervous as hell to go into the rolls room as I am terribly afraid it is going to be an echo chamber of AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Trin to clarify something, for cavalry to get the 16" move for being on the road the full brigade has to be on the road right, it can't say have one or two chits on the road, the rest spread out line abreast and still get the bonus. That correct?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

He clarified in R20 and the ones on the road can move 16'' but they have to be explicitly set to do so.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

so, do we have anybody here who defended a town with cavalry against a cavalry charge in the last round? or at least any one or two of those things? i'd love to hear some experience

the MGs and AH are NOT going to move, that much is clear. i don't think i'm supposed to be ordering individual chits to do individual things. so that leaves the question - to charge, or not to charge?

oh also, to dismount or not to dismount? is dismounting gonna be a really awesome thing where suddenly our cav are pouring rifle fire down, or will it be a really awesome thing where our cav get sabered to death while they're stuck in their stirrups?

so, charging and, if not charging, dismounting. are those the two questions i have for my brigade?

oh yeah, and what the gently caress should i do after the encounter with this brigade that just popped into view, i guess that's the bigger question

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Orders:

1 Cav Bde [IKA]:
Gallant charge boys, keep up the pressure. Have your Bde continue combat then once the AC are dead or fled turn west for combat with the arriving BEF cavalry. Engage as best as you see fit (yellow). Once the BEF cavalry retreat move to occupy the SW corner of Tallis Douche to overwatch the Fords in case the AC come back (blue).

2 Cav Bde (Now commanded by OTF due to Sandman being AWOL):
1)Move the cavalry scattered about the town a max of 4'' to the western outskirts of Steth as originally ordered. (The 4'' is to keep the ability to rifle fire if the enemy bde moves into rifle range.)
2)For this move do not block the AH firing route and keep one Cav in contact with the northern MG and try not to block LoS to the east of said Cav unit so hopefully that MG can fire.
3)Once this move to the outskirts or as near as possible is complete check if the enemy Cav is within charge range of greater than 50% of our cavalry companies and if so charge them using the cavalry.
4)If the enemy is retreating they are to pursue to go after the enemy arse hortillery but stop before the Fords.

3 Bde [Mossyfisk] :
Enter in combat formation along the southern road and proceed to Steth. If Steth has fallen retake the town but if not reinforce 1 Bde in Tallis Douche, prepare to assault over the southern Fords.

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 14, 2017

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

oystertoadfish posted:

so, do we have anybody here who defended a town with cavalry against a cavalry charge in the last round? or at least any one or two of those things? i'd love to hear some experience

the MGs and AH are NOT going to move, that much is clear. i don't think i'm supposed to be ordering individual chits to do individual things. so that leaves the question - to charge, or not to charge?

oh also, to dismount or not to dismount? is dismounting gonna be a really awesome thing where suddenly our cav are pouring rifle fire down, or will it be a really awesome thing where our cav get sabered to death while they're stuck in their stirrups?

so, charging and, if not charging, dismounting. are those the two questions i have for my brigade?

oh yeah, and what the gently caress should i do after the encounter with this brigade that just popped into view, i guess that's the bigger question

If you dismount that costs you half you move so you go from 12" move to 6", your cav units then become infantry for all intents and purposes, if you want your inf to shoot they then can only move half again and while inf have a move of 8" I think realistically means they could only move 3" and shoot this turn. If that is enough to get them out of the town and into the outskirts then great, if not then it comes down to will they get charged on the first turn of movement. If yes, then its not good except to throw up meatshields to protect the MGs and artillery. if no then they can move another 4" the next turn and shoot the brit cavalry.

the big question in regards to charging is, will we be able to do the charging instead of being charged and will charging block our MGs and artillery from firing.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Guys please don't charge out of this amazing position. Just look at that end of turn pic. The MGs are situated perfectly. It's perfect. The enemy have the choice of running away or dying. Tell everyone in the city to go to defend and bring up 3bde.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

We arent charging out willy nilly.

The most likely scenario is:

Turn +1) The enemy is currently >12''. They move 12'' to <12''. In the same turn we move to the outskirts and take firing positions but dont move far enough to lose the ability to rifle fire. We then Rifle/MG/AH fire upon them and gently caress them up good.

Turn +2) Then the turn after the remnants charge (and get shot again) or our MG shoot them and then the Cav charges them messing up the few survivors. We then exploit to over-run the Arse Hortillery.

Saros fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 14, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

koolkevz666 posted:

If you dismount that costs you half you move so you go from 12" move to 6", your cav units then become infantry for all intents and purposes, if you want your inf to shoot they then can only move half again and while inf have a move of 8" I think realistically means they could only move 3" and shoot this turn. If that is enough to get them out of the town and into the outskirts then great, if not then it comes down to will they get charged on the first turn of movement. If yes, then its not good except to throw up meatshields to protect the MGs and artillery. if no then they can move another 4" the next turn and shoot the brit cavalry.

the big question in regards to charging is, will we be able to do the charging instead of being charged and will charging block our MGs and artillery from firing.

thanks, i wasn't picturing any of that, that helps me understand the relevant mechanics.

i'll plan to have the orders done tomorrow night. i'll keep chatting about it but i'm prepared to follow the current orders, obviously

i feel like we should have the advantage defending in a town; i hope people post more about the mechanics so i can understand whether we do or not

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

Guys please don't charge out of this amazing position. Just look at that end of turn pic. The MGs are situated perfectly. It's perfect. The enemy have the choice of running away or dying. Tell everyone in the city to go to defend and bring up 3bde.

do you think the cavalry should be dismounted? so it's just infantry defending a town? do we have time?

disclaimer, i'll follow the orders saros gives in the end, but i'm interested in this line of argument

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

oystertoadfish posted:

do you think the cavalry should be dismounted? so it's just infantry defending a town? do we have time?

disclaimer, i'll follow the orders saros gives in the end, but i'm interested in this line of argument

If you dismount, then you can't cavalry charge but you will only be spotted at infantry range which is 4" unless you shoot. If you stay mounted then you can cavalry charge but you will be spotted at 8" unless you shoot. In any case any unit that shoots can be seen by anything up to 24" away.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
NO DISMOUNTING. It would go against the whole idea of us counter-charging that brigade.

Blut für den Blutgott!

Edit: Also, keep in mind that should our attack succeed, we could always return to those defensive positions if we so chose.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 14, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Information:

quote:

Towns

A company in a Town is invisible to anyone not in the Town and cannot see out of the Town. It has both Spotting and Protective Cover at all times while in the Town, and uses the Cover spotting rules.

All Towns have Outskirts, which extend 50mm from the marked borders of the town. A company in the Outskirts has Spotting and Protective Cover and has an unobstructed view out of the Town, but cannot see into the Town, or be seen by any company inside the Town. The Outskirts are unmarked and do not exist until and unless a Company specifically declares that it is in them.

OK. Point one, all the rifle cav in town can't see out or fire out. Therefore you need to move them to the outskirts unless you want to sacrifice your support and fight them in the town.

quote:

This is halved for any unit which intends to use Rifle Fire on that turn. Units which move more than half their speed during a turn may not fire; MGs, Mortars, and Artillery may not fire if they have moved at all.
To dismount takes half your movement. So technically dismounting and moving would stop you from firing, although only by a tiny margin. The main advantage gained by dismounting is that your cav is treated as infantry and therefore gets to fire earlier than mounted cav.

Point 3, 2nd brigade in a defensive stance and your orders are subject to a command roll if you want to change them. This may cause a turn's delay , especially as your Div HQ is still moving.

Point 4: Current (Sandman's) orders state that the combat companies are to charge anyone close enough and then return to the city. These are the orders that will happen until the change of orders gets through.

Thoughts:
I think the dismounting ship has sailed, although that's how I prefer to defend. Key now is to make sure as many units can fire on the enemy as possible.

I leave it to the korps surveyors to decide if they are in charge range or not, but if they're not, or if they advance with rifle fire, we could plan on a counter-charge on turn 10, when they are already weakened.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

if saros doesn't change his mind i'll draw up what he said - although if they do charge and our orders don't fire on turn 9 but do on turn 10, do we gently caress up our defense then?

i buy that dismounting isn't going to work and if saros does change his mind for sure the whole 'people in the town can't see out' thing is worth noting. is there a defensive advantage to being an unspotted chit when somebody charges into your town? or do you just get killed?

anyway i'll make a few maps in less than 24 hours

does ikasuhito have to give orders, or is it just 'try to kill the cars before they kill you, then if you're still alive just sit there and defend the south of steth'?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mossyfisk posted:

Good job on 1st and 2nd Brigade: getting into the town and ready for a charge without taking a single loss to what approximates a CORPS WORTH of British machine guns!

This is the worst possible thing we could have run into, and could result in a major swing of the battle.

Worst possible thing, at the best possible moment _driving blind into the charging range of freshly readied cavalry. The casualties seem to have followed initiative rolls rather than tactical advantage for one side.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

At the moment I think we need to charge the British Cav because if we do not they will survive to charge us and slaughter all our exposed support weapons because of the way that they were set up. They should also not see us until they move too far to use rifle fire so a charge should go off without a hitch.

Its also worth noting our Cav didn't cause a single AC casualty, the killing was done by our MG/AH.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

oystertoadfish posted:

does ikasuhito have to give orders, or is it just 'try to kill the cars before they kill you, then if you're still alive just sit there and defend the south of steth'?

There is enough going on that it would be prudent for me to post some new orders. So I will in a bit.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Yeah, looks like we've got advantage, so I don't see why we shouldn't just run them all down. Can we move Cav1 to outskirts for the the shot and then countercharge out when they charge?

Or is that the plan and I'm bad at reading?

Edit: Also, is Cav3 going to take the north road when they get here, or is that more of a "We'll figure that out when they get here" thing?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

That's basically the plan, we move to the outskirts and shoot them then either charge or get to shoot them again when they charge.

[E] I have amended orders to give more preference to a charge if they move up.

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 14, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

HQ update: DHQ is currently south of Ferme Chatte and will be hooked into the telephone network on Turn 15.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Capfalcon posted:

Yeah, looks like we've got advantage, so I don't see why we shouldn't just run them all down. Can we move Cav1 to outskirts for the the shot and then countercharge out when they charge?

Or is that the plan and I'm bad at reading?

Edit: Also, is Cav3 going to take the north road when they get here, or is that more of a "We'll figure that out when they get here" thing?

Cav 3 will probably take the south road because it's faster, and because we don't know what's in the north road.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Flesnolk posted:

Cav 3 will probably take the south road because it's faster, and because we don't know what's in the north road.

Right, but shouldn't we try to find out what's there?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
If there's nothing in there, we wasted time taking the slower route to reinforce the fight. If there is something in the north of CC, our cavalry won't see them until they've been ambushed and torn up.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
There's two probable extra forces they might have right now - ambushers or something like a Construction Battalion. Given how carelessly they drove these two units forward, they would have thrown any other fast units forward as well.

If they have a CB, I'd guess it's securing the fords or trenching up the northern woods.

For ambushers nothing to do but drive forward and flush them out.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, have fun. We do that and we wouldn't still have a reinforcement brigade.

Speaking of, mossyfisk, we need you to get your orders in. Ikasuhito, if you're gonna change orders at all, do it soon. OTF, let's just make sure your orders are official.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Orders up!

The jobs not quite done yet boys. All non support assets must continue the push until the ACs have been swept from the field. Our support should continue to do so.

Once that has been dealt with, we will take one of two paths.

A) If enemy has been destroyed, Brigade should continue on to Taillis as planned and set up along the lines shown in the previous Taillis map as best they can.
B) If the enemy Cav is still active Brigade should Charge to assist 2nd Brigade in destroying them. If we are still alive after all that we are to move on to Taillis as planned and set up along the lines shown in the previous Taillis map as best they can.

Any support unit that cant fire on enemy cavalry during charge should move into the sunken road until they can get los on enemy.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 15, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

You might want to order support units who can't shoot the enemy cav to move into the sunken road until they can then to Tallis douche later.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
For those we're still waiting on, remember that Trin runs the round tomorrow. We can't afford to dawdle like we did before phase 1.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Steinrokkan, don't forget you also have some mounted engineers entering the board on turn 12 per "engineers and entrenching" in this post.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Putting my orders together, but I have a fairly large issue.

How do I know if we still hold Stethoscope? Can I ring up Saros and ask? Because we won't be in brigade to brigade contact while they're hidden in town. And I feel like ordering a charge into friendly troops might be a problem.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

You just give orders to ride along the road into town with orders for the support weapons to stop and setup if they enter range of any enemy and for the cav to charge. You'll actually pass my position on the road in but I won't be hooked into the telephone network.

IKA there are big problems with your wording, you don't specify the support units in a) should continue firing/stay stationary rather than start moving if we lose sight of the AC's and in b) there are no move limits so they may go wandering off down the sunken road and get killed.

Im not trying to micromanage here but bde orders need to be precise guys!

Saros fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 15, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i'll have a draft up soon, i absolutely want it to go through tons of review before we consider it final

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
We don't have time for "tons of review" I think.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ok, so just like somebody who's played before reading it and posting at least one word about it

thats all im hoping for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Post it in the next couple of hours and I can have a look. But also use the example orders I linked a few pages back.

• Locked thread