Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Loving Life Partner posted:

It's hard to overstate the extent of which false consciousness has permeated American thought, the "American Dream", belief in a 'just world', etc. America's nickname as THE GREAT SATAN is one apt cherry I love (from a line of leftism I mostly don't), I feel like we're uniquely in the history of the world a capitalist society the likes of which would have been Marx's nightmare final boss for the prole revolution.The conditions of our founding, expansion, the restructuring of the South IN A BIG WAY all have created this hellbeast of class blind angry exploited people who can't imagine or reach for much beyond vague tribalism and faith based reflexes

Not a big enough way. We should have given Sherman six months and as many torches as he could carry. A huge part of our present political problems stem from being insufficiently firm with the boot that was on the South's neck after the Civil War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

OwlFancier posted:

If you're arguing that I should suspend ethical reasoning and just go with whatever my instinctive reaction says then I proclaim the highest morals to be spending as much time as possible asleep and scratching your balls a lot in public.

Keep going with that strawman.

Edit: Seriously, that's not a thing that people do.

I'm not a big fan of Mincome but whenever we've tried it, people don't loaf about. They actively engage and do things.

Your dim view of human nature stems from a misinformed moral education.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 14, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Loving Life Partner posted:

It's hard to overstate the extent of which false consciousness has permeated American thought, the "American Dream", belief in a 'just world', etc. America's nickname as THE GREAT SATAN is one apt cherry I love (from a line of leftism I mostly don't), I feel like we're uniquely in the history of the world a capitalist society the likes of which would have been Marx's nightmare final boss for the prole revolution.The conditions of our founding, expansion, the restructuring of the South IN A BIG WAY all have created this hellbeast of class blind angry exploited people who can't imagine or reach for much beyond vague tribalism and faith based reflexes

http://www.bestoftheleft.com/_1085_a_case_against_the_myth_of_individualism_culture

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Not a big enough way. We should have given Sherman six months and as many torches as he could carry. A huge part of our present political problems stem from being insufficiently firm with the boot that was on the South's neck after the Civil War.

Uh, how would a brutal, war crime-heavy occupation "help?" The South already hated the North, why would murdering all of them fix this problem?

Ignoring how unethical it is, is it even practical? Do such bloody occupations have a good success rate of putting down all dissent?

Shbobdb posted:

Easy, culture does change.

So what?

Would culture changing make it OK to gently caress a baby until your dick breaks the child in half?

You are probably tempted to write something like "yeah, that'd be OK if I was raised in that culture" just to be contrarian but despite infanticide and pederasty being a thing throughout human history you won't find that practice. Also, as you start to type that "Yeah, that'd be OK" there is probably a really bad feeling in your gut.

Listen to your innate moral grammar. We've all got it. It's certainly not rational and not ideal. It's especially bad when it comes to in-group/out-group distinctions. But construct Republican policies as Trolley problems and they fail spectacularly every time.

There are five people tied to train tracks. There is a train coming on a parallel track. You can pull the lever to make the train run the five people over. This will make the people on the train be five minutes late to their appointments. Most of them are not serious but some are very important. However, you will be awarded a substantial insurance sum for killing those people and making those people late. Do you pull the lever?

What if it wasn't you being awarded that money. What if it was someone else who you didn't know but they are fantastically wealthy?

What does your innate sense of the good tell you to do?

Do I kill people for money? No. That would be wrong, obviously .But I think that's too simple and extreme.

But that's not my point. I was asking what in human society or culture defines good and evil since our ideas of those two things have changed constantly throughout history?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 14, 2017

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

NikkolasKing posted:

Uh, how would a brutal, war crime-heavy occupation "help?" The South already hated the North, why would murdering all of them fix this problem?

Ignoring how unethical it is, is it even practical? Do such bloody occupations have a good success rate of putting down all dissent?

Do I kill people for money? No. That would be wrong, obviously .But I think that's too simple and extreme.

Republicans do kill people for money, but I do agree it is "obviously" wrong.

That's your answer.

It's been touched on in other areas in this thread. The mass line takes time to build but during the Roman times there were abolitionists. In early America there were abolitionists. They were considered extreme. Now their views are accepted as morally correct.

To argue the moral relativism you are espousing is to ignore their achievements and normalize brutality.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The lack of an objective morality doesn't preclude moral conviction. If you believe something, then your act on the basis of that belief, at the time you have that belief.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

It's immaterial in that it runs up against the chinese room problem, observation of a mind cannot tell you whether it is self aware, merely that it responds suitably to stimulus.

The difference between a self aware intelligence and a sufficiently expert system is, literally, immaterial. Or at the least, unobservable.
You're making assumptions about awareness and consciousness that have not been proven, and ones I find questionable - the assumption that only a immaterial consciousness can be 'truly conscious', because otherwise it's somehow equivalent to the Chinese room, is very problematic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

Keep going with that strawman.

Edit: Seriously, that's not a thing that people do.

I'm not a big fan of Mincome but whenever we've tried it, people don't loaf about. They actively engage and do things.

Your dim view of human nature stems from a misinformed moral education.

My dim view of human nature stems from the fact that I am acutely aware of how insufficient gut instinct is as a moral guide, as my gut instinct most certainly does not correlate with any substantive moral code. Reasoned ethics exist because gut instinct is woefully inadequate. Suggesting we abandon them in favor of whatever feels right is laughable.

rudatron posted:

You're making assumptions about awareness and consciousness that have not been proven, and ones I find questionable - the assumption that only a immaterial consciousness can be 'truly conscious', because otherwise it's somehow equivalent to the Chinese room, is very problematic.

If your concept of self awareness is simply that a thing looks self aware then it makes absolutely no sense to suggest that religion is any impediment to it.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Religion teaches you to value emotional attachment towards facts about reality. Emotions are not a viable way of discovering knowledge about the world, because the universe does not give 2 shits about how you feel. It simply does.

Similarly, the process of self awareness requires you to confront uncomfortable truths about yourself, constantly.

Therefore, a system of beliefs that encourages people to ignore reality in favor of what feels true ('spirituality') is one that teaches people not to confront themselves, and live in ignorance.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
reminder that shoboab the morals man belives that thirty million people should be executed

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

I remember, and prefer, the left that believed it was suffering and oppression that created reactionary ideologies, with the hope that people, ever malleable, could be uplifted, with adequate nutrition, health, love and support, and education into the humanitarian and cosmopolitan spirit.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Great listen, super pro click!

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

rudatron posted:

Similarly, the process of self awareness requires you to confront uncomfortable truths about yourself, constantly.

So, religion?

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

coyo7e posted:

I literally quit playing online games entirely, because every time I could hear someone talking, it was some teenager bitching about Hillary Clinton being "a second affirmative-action president".

It's way higher than 1% and gently caress you for minimizing how bad it has become.

It's being a minority in the land of a majority which differs from your own - you just have to roll with it, sometimes make not-quite-lies or hide truths to keep things smooth, and you can never escape it entirely.

I'm not defending Gamergate or "gamer" culture in any way. 1% is an exaggeration, but video games are ubiquitous now. 59% of Americans play video games, and the largest demographic is now adult women.

The issue of teenagers/adult being loud bigoted assholes online is not a new thing and we are seeing a brand new world with the rise of Trump where they are emboldened. Imagine being a 15 year old shithead from a random town where there's standard American casual misogyny/racism, and now the America has Donald "Grab 'em by the pussy" Trump for president.

Video games are just entertainment and come with a similar set of problems as all of our pop culture. Again, gently caress Gamergate assholes, seriously. Their harassment campaigns were vicious, and disgustingly sexist. They're angry and afraid that video games are now enjoyed by everyone and not middle/upper class white men (boys). But they don't represent the overwhelming majority of gamers.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

But that's not my point. I was asking what in human society or culture defines good and evil since our ideas of those two things have changed constantly throughout history?

You can arrive at a good moral framework with basic empathy - i would not wish to be murdered, therefore murder is wrong. I would enjoy getting help if ever in need of it, therefore charity is good. And so on.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Is it possible for one's emotions and intuition to be poisoned — as by, for example, addiction, depression, disease, or social pressure —so that this moral framework cannot be validly constructed?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cingulate posted:

I remember, and prefer, the left that believed it was suffering and oppression that created reactionary ideologies, with the hope that people, ever malleable, could be uplifted, with adequate nutrition, health, love and support, and education into the humanitarian and cosmopolitan spirit.

Yeah, well, as we say to Libertarians : "on the other hand, recorded history"

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Bolocko posted:

Is it possible for one's emotions and intuition to be poisoned — as by, for example, addiction, depression, disease, or social pressure —so that this moral framework cannot be validly constructed?

If you base it on emotions and feelings then yes, obviously. Which is why we should use logical rational arguments rather than feelings. You can feel that something is right or wrong but need an actuall argument to back up your stance if you want to make it a law for example.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Bolocko posted:

So, religion?
Religion is an impediment to introspection. It valorizes empty-headed commitment, and allows one to project emotional preferences onto reality (the world is this way because, it feels like it should be that way).

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
Are we really stuck on "without god what's to stop us from doing whatever we want"? How old is everyone here?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

zh1 posted:

Are we really stuck on "without god what's to stop us from doing whatever we want"? How old is everyone here?

Hey, we haven't gotten to the Problem of Evil yet. :v:

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

NikkolasKing posted:

Question. How does one embrace moral absolutism without the presence of a higher authority? What is evil now wasn't evil a few short centuries ago. Would you judge every racist or slave owner in history as evil when they could not possibly know any better?
See, this is a misconception that could have been handled if the U.S. had even a halfway decent education system. Still, I remember learning as a child that many people "knew better" even back in the day. How is possible to be unaware of all the well-known abolitionists as an adult in loving 2017?

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

Liquid Communism posted:

Hey, we haven't gotten to the Problem of Evil yet. :v:

But I gotta be religious so I can see my mommy and daddy again after I die. Can you handle that argument, atheists?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

zh1 posted:

See, this is a misconception that could have been handled if the U.S. had even a halfway decent education system. Still, I remember learning as a child that many people "knew better" even back in the day. How is possible to be unaware of all the well-known abolitionists as an adult in loving 2017?

Okay, I went to public school but I know who John Brown was and I remember the Underground Railroad stuff.

But so what? What about a century before that? Was abolitionism big in the 17th or 18th century? That I honestly don't know a thing about.

And what if we went back even further, to Antiquity? Was everyone in Athens evil because they were racist and sexist as gently caress slave owners?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 14, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
To answer the original question: unless we are talking hardcore communists, whom I loathe, then unfortunately no.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised the thread has such a bad rating. We've had a few pages of decent, civil discussion.

NikkolasKing posted:

Okay, I went to public school but I know who John Brown was and I remember the Underground Railroad stuff.

But so what? What about a century before that? Was abolitionism big in the 17th or 18th century? That I honestly don't know a thing about.

And what if we went back even further, to Antiquity? Was everyone in Athens evil because they were racist and sexist as gently caress slave owners?
I'm here:

Galen Strawson posted:

Maybe one way to put it is this: People in themselves aren’t evil, there’s no such thing as moral evil in that sense, but evil exists, great evil, and people can be carriers of great evil. You might reply, Look, if they’re carriers of evil they just are evil, face the facts. But I would have to say that your response is in the end superficial. After all, we don’t call natural disasters evil.
(Also see Matthew 7:1-3)

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, well, as we say to Libertarians : "on the other hand, recorded history"
I believe that is what Libertarians like to say to Communists ..?

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 14, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Heh, it's by far the longest and most thought-provoking thread I've ever made. Apart from some trolling, I'm glad I made this.

And that is a good and enlightened view you have there. I wish I could be less judgmental.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

NikkolasKing posted:

How does one embrace moral absolutism without the presence of a higher authority?

Just how would the presence of a powerful entity make any difference to morality, unless you already have 'obey powerful beings' as a root moral conviction?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

And that is a good and enlightened view you have there. I wish I could be less judgmental.
It's more of an ideal than a practice. I get angry and blame people all the time. But at least afterwards I almost never agree with my anger or blame. I don't identify with it. I say, it - being angry at a person - is a bad thing that has happened to me. It's not a part of me. (There are very few exceptions: when anger is used as a tool to help others. This is exceedingly rare, but it happens.)
I think this is good and helpful.

On this fallibility of man, Strawson, in the passage just before the one I just quoted:

Galen Strawson posted:

BLVR: You’re right that many people find this hard to swallow. As you write in one of your essays, if it all comes down to luck, “even Hitler is let off the hook.” So how should we regard Hitler and Stalin and other villains of history? Should we view them like we view the Lisbon earthquake, or the Plague?

GS: In the end, and in a sense: yes. Obviously it’s wildly hard to accept. For some people I think it’s impossible to accept, given their temperament (they might not be able to make sense of their lives anymore). As I said, I can’t really accept it myself—I can’t live it all the time. If someone harmed or tortured or killed one of my children I’d feel everything almost anyone else would feel. I’d probably have intense feelings of revenge. But these feelings would fade. In the end they’re small and self-concerned. Only the grief would last.

That's an even more powerful quote, I think. Strawson is an aggressive materialist and a convinced atheist, with a particular distaste for Christianity, but this line is I think very close to the New Testament.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cingulate posted:

I believe that is what Libertarians like to say to Communists ..?

It's really applicable to both. I'm mostly using it here as a rejection that, historically, radicals are uplifted via education. As is very relevant to the thread topic, it is very difficult to argue someone logically out of a position that they never talked themselves into logically. Indoctrination and bad cultural norms are incredibly powerful, and historically are only broken by forceful intervention into the culture that produces them.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

It's really applicable to both. I'm mostly using it here as a rejection that, historically, radicals are uplifted via education. As is very relevant to the thread topic, it is very difficult to argue someone logically out of a position that they never talked themselves into logically. Indoctrination and bad cultural norms are incredibly powerful, and historically are only broken by forceful intervention into the culture that produces them.
Well I didn't want to make a specific claim about what we should actually go for, just about ideals. But at least there's two possible scenarios here:
- what you describe. Take some kids who have been socialized into violence, and try to re-educate them.
- have kids grow up in the context of a decent education, hoping they'll never be socialized into violence in the first place.

Still, I was more interested in left ideals and goals. E.g., some dream of a world where nobody is racist because everyone loves their neighbor instead. Others dream of a world where all the racists have been burned at the stake. Regardless of what's more realistic, I'd rather hang out with group #1.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

NikkolasKing posted:

They can't hate the north if they're all dead, now can they?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cingulate posted:

Well I didn't want to make a specific claim about what we should actually go for, just about ideals. But at least there's two possible scenarios here:
- what you describe. Take some kids who have been socialized into violence, and try to re-educate them.
- have kids grow up in the context of a decent education, hoping they'll never be socialized into violence in the first place.

Still, I was more interested in left ideals and goals. E.g., some dream of a world where nobody is racist because everyone loves their neighbor instead. Others dream of a world where all the racists have been burned at the stake. Regardless of what's more realistic, I'd rather hang out with group #1.

I don't think violence is something humans have to be socialized into.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

From religious leftist Kareem Abdul-Jabbar:

"For civilized societies, the absence of reason and compassion is the very definition of pure evil because it is a rejection of our sacred values, distilled from millennia of struggle."

"The audience’s willing suspension of disbelief is great for poorly written horror films, but when government tries to promote it to the American people, us buying into it would be social suicide. We can’t suspend our rational minds while a schlockmeister-in-chief turns our foreign policy into the tacky Plan 9 From Outer Space. The only way Trump can make a ban like this work, since it is so egregiously unconstitutional, is to convince the people that there is no legitimate source of truth except his administration. Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway describes the president’s first week of extensive lying as "alternate facts" and, in a Fox interview, even used references that compared Trump to Jesus. Trump strategist Steve Bannon has called the media “the opposition party.” They are trying to convince the public that no one has the moral integrity to judge what they say or do. Just like the royalty of old that Americans fought to get away from, they rule through God’s grace and so are infallible. Just ask them."

-------
full editorial

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Panzeh posted:

I don't think violence is something humans have to be socialized into.
Okay, yes - I should have said something like "disproportionally violent", or something more subtle about what groups to other, how hard to other them, and connecting that to violence.

I don't want to imply a state of nature where everyone is peaceful or anything like that, although I would assume you need a bit of ideology for cooperative mass murder (e.g., above small-group, personal conflicts).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Man, if we tear down all those Ten Commandments monuments, gonna be a lot of dead people.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
would it be gauche to point out that the scientific method is literally based on an article of faith?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Hume: "Both the sciences man and the religions man are dumb"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

A big flaming stink posted:

would it be gauche to point out that the scientific method is literally based on an article of faith?
It worked when Cixin Liu pointed it out and turned it into a sci-fi novel.

And physicists and mathematicians generally are willing to admit that there are some holes in math and physics which could someday be discovered and which could really, really gently caress up our understanding of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
What Happens When a Irresistible Frickin' Force Meets a Unmoveable Mothershitting Object, Science? Your Move, Butt-Turd.

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm not really here to educate you, so I'll keep this simple: Hitler. Think about Hitler and how it applies to your question. Hitler. Anything going on? Hitler.

• Locked thread