Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Inventor asks for his fatted pig and gold coins as payment, is promptly used to beta test device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sudden question, but does Total War's DLC traditionally ever go on sale or just the base games? Want to figure out if I should wait before starting to pick up some of the races or not.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Panfilo posted:

Goddamn Battle Pilgrims are holding their shields upside down, I just noticed this.

:byodood: THIS IS WHY PEASANTS CANT HAVE NICE THINGS!

I noticed it early on but I think this is actually a thing? Isn't that shield design supposed to help deflect blows to the side, instead of stopping them dead on the top of the shield and shocking the arm?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Mordja posted:

Sudden question, but does Total War's DLC traditionally ever go on sale or just the base games? Want to figure out if I should wait before starting to pick up some of the races or not.

I think I've seen some DLC for the other TW games get a price reduction; couldn't tell you how long the time between release -> sale was.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I thought they are using swiped cavalry shields but because they are derpy peasants they don't know which end goes where.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Mordja posted:

The DLC generally gets discounted whenever the main game does, but new content stays at full price for a while. The main packs for TW:W will hopefully get a good discount in this year's summer steam sale, and definitely in the winter sale.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I was wondering how hard/easy it would be to mod in a shadow of the horned rat style experience. Lower unit counts, make the campaign map larger, set it in the border princes. Start with a generic 'mercenary' human lord that can either stick to empirish stuff or fall to chaos and get a mark. Fight armies of chaos rebels, undead necromancers, greenskin warbands, dwarf wayfarers/outcasts etc. Focus on defending a single province (I mean like 3 connected territories). A little more of a evolving narrative crusader kings style. Units are named and ranking up does bigger things. So instead of Swordsman it's 'Ricthers Glorius Fighting Companions' and they have their own little hero trees.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Phrosphor posted:

I was wondering how hard/easy it would be to mod in a shadow of the horned rat style experience. Lower unit counts, make the campaign map larger, set it in the border princes. Start with a generic 'mercenary' human lord that can either stick to empirish stuff or fall to chaos and get a mark. Fight armies of chaos rebels, undead necromancers, greenskin warbands, dwarf wayfarers/outcasts etc. Focus on defending a single province (I mean like 3 connected territories). A little more of a evolving narrative crusader kings style. Units are named and ranking up does bigger things. So instead of Swordsman it's 'Ricthers Glorius Fighting Companions' and they have their own little hero trees.

Just based on the fact we haven't yet seen any custom campaign maps, mods to change experience, mods opening up access to other race's units I'd say it was somewhere between impossible and not possible.

Sounds more like a Mod to Mount & Blade, honestly. The WHFB mod for Mount & Blade already rules, though.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Now that Bretonnia has been out for a couple of weeks has there been any hints on when the last DLC/TWW 2 will be dropping?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Phrosphor posted:

I noticed it early on but I think this is actually a thing? Isn't that shield design supposed to help deflect blows to the side, instead of stopping them dead on the top of the shield and shocking the arm?

It's because they're obviously religious accoutrements, not shields, that's crazy. Peasants aren't technically allowed to bear knightly arms, but most of them aren't technically allowed to travel freely either. Grail Pilgrims get around it by being on permanent religious pilgrimage and also crazy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Bretonnia's distrust of firearms on the field of battle also has an amusingly simple root cause, or at least it did in one army book I read: so a century or so back, a Grail Knight decided he would saunter down to the Empire and seek out their greatest champion to duel and demonstrate Bretonnia's superiority. Said champion accepted, and the moment the Grail Knight guy drew his sword the Imperial drew a pistol and shot the knight in the face.

Bretonnia promptly outlawed firearms as cowardly, unchivalrous weapons.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

wiegieman posted:

It's because they're obviously religious accoutrements, not shields, that's crazy. Peasants aren't technically allowed to bear knightly arms, but most of them aren't technically allowed to travel freely either. Grail Pilgrims get around it by being on permanent religious pilgrimage and also crazy.

This is how all of Bretonnian society works and is the best part of it. "I'm not paying taxes besides the 9/10th of my agricultural produce, mi'lord, but here are all these 'gifts' from my mercantile side business and I am totally still a farmer, are we clear?"

"I'm just cleanshaven and boyishly handsome. Ignore the high pitched voice."

"We are clearly just pilgrims and not a band of roving murderhobos."

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
They should have gone full Pratchett with that peasant story and had it so that every time he invented something new, his master would mutilate him in some way out of jealousy and wanting to prevent him from building anything for his rivals.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I think one thing that really hasn't really been properly developed in the game yet is the influence of the Chaos Gods, especially on the human factions.

They should be more of an insidious threat, especially in the terms of Nurgle, Slaanesh and Tzeentch but even Khorne can be subtle (for outlying definitions of subtle).

Say a captain is having to defend his hometown with just a unit of militia and he makes a desperate prayer for aid to any god that would help him to save his people, there is a decent chance Khorne might take a listen. If there is a good enough fight and the captain does enough killing then he could end up with a boon without even realising what path he is setting down. It is the downfall of many a hero in the universe that if you make a desperate enough prayer something is going to listen. It is honestly something I wish the stories explored more, because it is an interesting concept to consider.

And if that unwitting khorneish champion continues to win and kill over an over again, do you really want to get rid of him? The more he wins the more favors he gets from the God of Slaughter, and that is a pretty great thing to have if you are fending off waves of orcish aggression or whatever. As long as he keeps having something to fight that is, as soon as he beats the orcs suddenly you have a berserker champion turning back on the city he was defending. It's why Witch Hunters don't just hunt down hedge wizards and the like. They look for corruption and heresy that could lead to this, and there is enough of it that Witch Hunters are a big deal in the society.

A big aspect of Chaos in the Warhammer universe is not only the aggressive, in your face side of it, but the slowly growing cancer that leads to 'Oh poo poo those cultists just exploded into pus demons and they are slaughtering the city guard, maybe we should have looked into that snake oil salesmen a little more carefully'.

I think having Chaos waxing and waning inside your empire a little more could provide an extra angle to the game. They kind of started something with the chaos corruption mechanic but it needs ways to grow that aren't just agent actions, and the agent actions need to be scarier. And don't forget the Chaos Gods Hate each other. There is a great boardgame that explores this called Chaos in the Old World, where each player is one of the gods and you basically screw each other over trying to destroy the empire. You do Not want a chaos sorcerer in Altdorf telling the locals how great Slaanesh worship is.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 14, 2017

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Chaos daemons are a faction in the future, so it'd come up there if anywhere.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Just finished up a long campaign as the Von Carstein faction of Vampire Counts. It was a long, grueling campaign that involved the undead saving the world from Chaos, only to get war declared on by almost every surviving faction in a shameless display of ingratitude! My conclusion: Vampire Counts make KICK rear end SCREENS.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Round 1: Dtkozl vs ChickenWing

outcome: 2-0 ChickenWing

Round 1 - VC vs Empire: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65842159/dtkozlvchickenw1.replay - I was basically on autopilot for most of this match while I tried futilely to micro karl/light wizard/templehof luminark. Luminark got off like 2 shots becuase I'm really loving bad :tizzy:

Round 2 - Brettonia vs Dwarfs: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65842159/dtkozlvchickenw2.replay - loving Ramirez. Also I forgot about my Runelord until the battle was basically already won :cripes:

I had a much better effortpost but then I refreshed my page and munched it because I am A Bad.

e: please critique these, I'm bad and want to be less so

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 14, 2017

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
In your first match I'd have spaced out your troops a bit more, it was an overly tight formation. I'd also check what spells the VC general has brought and watch out for Wind of Death. Guy brought a auto-gen army for the second match so whatever.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

How do you guys find multiplayer battles?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

uh okay...

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

henkman posted:

uh okay...

Wow

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like whatever jankiness that the auto resolve had before they patched it is what dwarves vs greenskins was balanced around at release, usually greenskins and dwarves would be 50/50 on who won the badlands, now every single game for me the greenskins are holding onto scattered territory with 1 low fightiness army by turn <40 and the dwarves own everything with 3+ full stacks with plenty of renown units.

Sucks for any faction that hates the dwarves and is a huge boon to any faction looking for dwarvey allies.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

NovemberMike posted:

How do you guys find multiplayer battles?

There's a goon tournament going on right now that's halfway through, not sure when there'll be a new one. I'd recommend using the multiplayer lobby list, join or host a game there. Wins and losses from the multiplayer list aren't ranked like quick battle so you'll probably get less jerks that way, though no guarantees. Once you get the hang of it then you can start doing quick battle if you want.

Or you can join the warhammer fight club discord: https://discord.gg/gjDJUpQ

There's usually people looking to practice in the discord lately because of the tournament.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 14, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel like whatever jankiness that the auto resolve had before they patched it is what dwarves vs greenskins was balanced around at release, usually greenskins and dwarves would be 50/50 on who won the badlands, now every single game for me the greenskins are holding onto scattered territory with 1 low fightiness army by turn <40 and the dwarves own everything with 3+ full stacks with plenty of renown units.

Sucks for any faction that hates the dwarves and is a huge boon to any faction looking for dwarvey allies.

Dwarves are the worst AI faction to fight, they always have like 5 artillery pieces and corner camp to gently caress. Tremendously unenjoyable

Greenskins are usually pretty fun, if a bit easy to beat. The AI just doesn't produce the number necessary to compete

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Trujillo posted:

There's a goon tournament going on right now that's halfway through, not sure when there'll be a new one. I'd recommend using the multiplayer lobby list, join or host a game there. Wins and losses from the multiplayer list aren't ranked like quick battle so you'll probably get less jerks that way, though no guarantees. Once you get the hang of it then you can start doing quick battle if you want.

Or you can join the warhammer fight club discord: https://discord.gg/gjDJUpQ

There's usually people looking to practice in the discord lately because of the tournament.

Your discord invite link isn't working for me.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Ammanas posted:

Dwarves are the worst AI faction to fight, they always have like 5 artillery pieces and corner camp to gently caress. Tremendously unenjoyable

Lore-friendly and tabletop accurate though.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I wonder how the other factions will end up playing on the battle map. Some thoughts:

Ogres: Bowling Ball of death. They have one tactic and it is charge. Horrendously vulnerable to slayers and other anti-monster.

Tomb Kings: Vampire counts with no chaff, excellent frontline and good ranged.

Lizardmen: Tricky, probably a solid core with good flankers and magic that's actually worth a drat. Lacking in artillery though.

High Elves: Oddly like chaos with no marauders and fewer monsters: Really good in every corner save monsters, really expensive, probably too expensive to make them viable in multiplayer.

Dark elves: Kind of like wood elves, micro-intensive, very fast, high damage but poo poo ability to take a hit. Excellent selection of monsters though.

Chaos Dwarves: Greenskin hordes to act as chaff and flankers, chaos dwarves frontline with amazing ranged and utterly immovable defense. Massive, massive selection of artillery.

Skaven: Clanrat chaff that puts vampire counts to shame. Friendly fire is going to happen no matter what. Amazing if unreliable war machines and special tactics that are as likely to rout your own side as win you the day.

Daemons of Chaos: I have no clue. They're gonna be either OP as hell or utter trash.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Daemons will have a less lethal crumbling mechanic and a universal Ward save, and then a whole ton of absolutely bonkers units. Super tough plaguebearer blocks, living Khornate cannon chariot, etc.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Phrosphor posted:

Some of this is possible and some of it even easy but a bunch of it isn't possible thus far and the amount of collected work you laid out is nearly equivalent to remaking a large portion of the game with essentially half the tools and far less people than CA itself has.

Short answer = not anytime soon

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

People who know modding: how hard would it be to edit the intro cinematics and/or the advisor ingame audio and text? I have... ideas.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Night10194 posted:

This is how all of Bretonnian society works and is the best part of it. "I'm not paying taxes besides the 9/10th of my agricultural produce, mi'lord, but here are all these 'gifts' from my mercantile side business and I am totally still a farmer, are we clear?"

"I'm just cleanshaven and boyishly handsome. Ignore the high pitched voice."

"We are clearly just pilgrims and not a band of roving murderhobos."

So how do they get around the 'illegal to educate Peasants' bit so that a merchant class can form and sell/make things? Honest question. It stumps me, but I'm not smart.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Bloodly posted:

So how do they get around the 'illegal to educate Peasants' bit so that a merchant class can form and sell/make things? Honest question. It stumps me, but I'm not smart.

Disgraced Nobility?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Blinks77 posted:

Disgraced Nobility?

laws honored more in breach than practice, from what I understand.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Merchants are an exception in Bretonnian society. Most are peasants, and many are richer than nobles. But because Bretonnia's strict tax laws that keep peasants dirt poor were written with respect to agricultural proceeds, merchants end up as rich peasants who're not obligated to pay a lot in taxes. But they're still dirty loving peasants according to law, so in the end they make generous "donations" to their noble lords to stay in business and keep the peace, which ensures the nobles are content with the laws as they are and that the merchants have only good intentions. Thus, trade possible where otherwise crazy-high taxes would put all traders out of business. In practice then their social class is something above peasant, below noble, not recognized by law, but necessary for an economy to flourish.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 14, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Thinking of some way to make greenskins better on the campaign would probably be a way to buff raiding and global recruitment, heres my idea.

- +1 global recruitment slot from a level 4 and above city.
- No extra turns to recruit units globally, cash cost stays the same.
- Raiding in foreign territory owned by a faction(not ruins) reduces army upkeep by 50-75%

Those seem like they could help their campaign and fits thematically with the whole raiding and numbers thing.
Would the last two ideas be easy to implement as mods or is there no way to make raiding stance only reduce upkeep in foreign territory or change global recruitment turns for only one faction?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

Bretonnia's distrust of firearms on the field of battle also has an amusingly simple root cause, or at least it did in one army book I read: so a century or so back, a Grail Knight decided he would saunter down to the Empire and seek out their greatest champion to duel and demonstrate Bretonnia's superiority. Said champion accepted, and the moment the Grail Knight guy drew his sword the Imperial drew a pistol and shot the knight in the face.

Bretonnia promptly outlawed firearms as cowardly, unchivalrous weapons.

One of my favourite WHFB moments was from a novel where there's this huge bloody battle going on between the Empire and Chaos Warriors. The Chaos Warriors have been forced to cross a river to fight the Empire, and the Empire General has arranged all his spearman on the river bank just stabbing down into the Warriors as they emerge from the river turning it into a killing zone.

The Chaos Champion decides to do something about this so he breaks through the line with a group of chaos Knights and heads for the General who is on a hill watching the battle from a far.

The General staff is like "Uhh Sir? Shall we flee?" and the General just tells them to send in some spearmen.

So the Knights kill these spearmen and continue towards the General. So he sends in some more. This happens like twice more.

In the end all the Knights are dead and the chaos champion is beaten and bloody with rends in their armour and stuff, but they reach the hill in front of the general and bellow a challenge.

The General just looks at him and says something like "Hmm, good show", then draws a pistol and shoots the campion dead.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Kitchner posted:

One of my favourite WHFB moments was from a novel where there's this huge bloody battle going on between the Empire and Chaos Warriors. The Chaos Warriors have been forced to cross a river to fight the Empire, and the Empire General has arranged all his spearman on the river bank just stabbing down into the Warriors as they emerge from the river turning it into a killing zone.

The Chaos Champion decides to do something about this so he breaks through the line with a group of chaos Knights and heads for the General who is on a hill watching the battle from a far.

The General staff is like "Uhh Sir? Shall we flee?" and the General just tells them to send in some spearmen.

So the Knights kill these spearmen and continue towards the General. So he sends in some more. This happens like twice more.

In the end all the Knights are dead and the chaos champion is beaten and bloody with rends in their armour and stuff, but they reach the hill in front of the general and bellow a challenge.

The General just looks at him and says something like "Hmm, good show", then draws a pistol and shoots the campion dead.

You know, this just makes me think: Why is there no chaos unit with guns? They buy artillery from the Chaos Dwarfs easy enough. Use them for maintenance and ammunition, ect. So why not a regiment of chosen handcannoneers?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ammanas posted:

Greenskins are usually pretty fun, if a bit easy to beat. The AI just doesn't produce the number necessary to compete

Play as Vlad and just spawn all your poo poo in their grill or play Brets and charge 18 stacks of knights directly at them FOR GREAT HONOUR.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

NewMars posted:

You know, this just makes me think: Why is there no chaos unit with guns? They buy artillery from the Chaos Dwarfs easy enough. Use them for maintenance and ammunition, ect. So why not a regiment of chosen handcannoneers?

Just a guess, but Chaos guys are probably too corrupted or insane to maintain and use firearms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Where's the fun in shooting a guy when you can hit him with a huge sword instead?

• Locked thread