Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So hyped to see what his new 'grassroots' movement will be about.

e: 1971 - The Angry Brigade, the last left-wing radical terrorist organization in the UK, bombs some employment offices. The radio receiver licence is abolished and currency is decimalized.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

It's funny though, I'm almost certain that if the European court had allowed employers to ban headscarves a couple days -before- the referendum, Remain would have won. I mean just look at the Mail comments and such - "finally the EU starts listening to what people want". Disgusting.

Ah but then it would be Looney EU Bans Good British Employees from wearing Crosses

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

learnincurve posted:

Why do people assume people voted to leave because of racism? I'm sick of the London based media portraying the majority of the country as being ignorant racists because they want to leave Europe. Your average racist is fully aware that Asia isn't in Europe and that won't make any difference to immigration from those countries. If you want a more accurate stereotype then try " being sick of the UK paying in to prop up Eastern European countries who don't contribute poo poo"

Source your quotes

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

learnincurve posted:

Why do people assume people voted to leave because of racism? I'm sick of the London based media portraying the majority of the country as being ignorant racists because they want to leave Europe. Your average racist is fully aware that Asia isn't in Europe and that won't make any difference to immigration from those countries. If you want a more accurate stereotype then try " being sick of the UK paying in to prop up Eastern European countries who don't contribute poo poo"

Source your quotes please.

- the London Elite

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Also the ECJ ruling could be read to allow a ban on employees wearing the Poppy which would lead to some hilarious headlines

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm sure hundreds of leave voters weren't racist.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Pochoclo posted:

I have to say, in all my life, you two are the first people I ever find that don't like Queen. Maybe brits are more likely to not like them? Prophets in their own land and all that.

I don't like the queen either, don't like any royals. Except the current swedish king, he's cool.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

learnincurve posted:

You've got this wrong on several counts:

1) A majority of the country did not vote to leave, just a majority of votes cast.
2) They are not racist because they want to leave Europe, they want to leave Europe because they are racist.
3) They'll happily get rid of all the non-European migrants too.
4) I don't live in London and this is what real Brexiters tend to be like.
5) If they're just sick of "propping up Eastern European countries" then why are they all so ignorant about how much the EU costs and what it spends its money on?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
There are three types of Leave voters:

Racists
Idiots
Racist idiots.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

So hyped to see what his new 'grassroots' movement will be about.

e: 1971 - The Angry Brigade, the last left-wing radical terrorist organization in the UK, bombs some employment offices.
tfw your life's work goes unrecognised

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

His Divine Shadow posted:

I don't like the queen either, don't like any royals. Except the current swedish king, he's cool.

The post was about Queen the band.

I utterly despise royalty and the concept of monarchy beyond words.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pochoclo posted:

I like the queen.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Pochoclo posted:

That's what you get for living by tl;dr

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Why are people in this thread unable to tell the difference between xenophobia and racism?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

learnincurve posted:

Why are people in this thread unable to tell the difference between xenophobia and racism?

racism is less letters to type

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

learnincurve posted:

We only like nuance when it suits us.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jBrereton posted:

tfw your life's work goes unrecognised

Separatist groups are classed as separate (:v:) to left and right wing groups when they're doing the stats.

The UK has always been much lower than Southern Europe for left wing terrorism.

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm sure hundreds of leave voters weren't racist.
Some people voted leave because they were pretty racist, others because the EU is pretty racist. Leave going full 'tidal wave of migrants' in the final weeks scared off most of the latter group though.

If the EU had doubled down on headscarves and burkinis in the run up it might have scared them back to leave, while doing nothing to get the people voting out because 'they're all foreign' to vote Remain.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure that if you like Australians and Canadians, but hate people of arabic ethnicity, indians and the Polish, you're drat racist.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can simplify that statement a lot and still have it accurate.

Pochoclo posted:

I'm pretty sure that if you like Australians you're drat racist.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Ask Canada about the First Nations too!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
”It is often said that Her Majesty is the golden thread that binds our nation together, and the key part of that phrase is the word “golden”. Her Majesty is not the cotton thread, or the silver thread, or the woollen thread, she is a golden thread that binds the nation together..."

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
SWL argues that Brexit changes the economic situation for indyref 2 substantially.

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/brexit-makes-economics-of-scottish.html

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hakimashou posted:

”It is often said that Her Majesty is the golden thread that binds our nation together, and the key part of that phrase is the word “golden”. Her Majesty is not the cotton thread, or the silver thread, or the woollen thread, she is a golden thread that binds the nation together..."
Highly expensive, limited industrial uses, mostly valued for cultural reasons, but generally hypoallergenic and corrosion resistant?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Guavanaut posted:

Highly expensive, limited industrial uses, mostly valued for cultural reasons, but generally hypoallergenic and corrosion resistant?

Also a good conductor for electricity.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's really easy to sit there and say that 53.4% of the population of England are racist and just dismiss it as that. Reality is that the vast majority of people outside of the capital don't want to be in the EU, and that the vast majority of people outside of London are not in fact racist. Implying that they are and dismissing everyone outside of London's opinions as worthless makes you look like a bit of a smug tit, and is the attitude that in part lead to the Brexit vote in the first place.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Fangz posted:

SWL argues that Brexit changes the economic situation for indyref 2 substantially.

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/brexit-makes-economics-of-scottish.html

We've been having a lot of fun in the Scottish thread discussing how, while leaving the common market will be bad for UK trade, the uk market is much more important for Scotland than the EU, so being on the wrong side of the EU trade barrier would be even worse.

I don't know who SWL is but I'm not impressed with this analysis as he's out of date or simply wrong on several issues.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Oh dear me posted:

I'd rather we stopped talking as though we had a presidential system. May was elected as MP by her constituents and as party leader by her party, just like every other PM.

Well, by the MPs of her party, at least.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

"The economic cost to the UK of leaving the EU could be as high as a reduction of 10% in average incomes by 2030."

gently caress does this guy think that going from a nearly 10% budget deficit (without even considering Barnett) to an enforced surplus to have the privilege of using the Euro is going to do to public spending and average incomes in an independent Scotland by 2030?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TinTower posted:

Ping-pong is theoretically infinite. The government would have to wait for a new session of Parliament.

In addition to everyone else pointing out you don't know how the gently caress our constitution works and/or have time travelled from 1910, you realise the government could do exactly what it threatened to do back then and get the Queen to appoint as many pro-Brexit Lords as are necessary to vote things through? You may want to read a GCSE History textbook, just saying.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

learnincurve posted:

It's really easy to sit there and say that 53.4% of the population of England are racist and just dismiss it as that. Reality is that the vast majority of people outside of the capital don't want to be in the EU, and that the vast majority of people outside of London are not in fact racist. Implying that they are and dismissing everyone outside of London's opinions as worthless makes you look like a bit of a smug tit, and is the attitude that in part lead to the Brexit vote in the first place.
The Brexit vote was caused by decades of politicians and the press scoring points off the EU and immigrants by blaming almost every single ill this country faces on them, followed by an organised campaign of egomaniacs using that built up division to further their political careers. Its not like there was a loud voice on the national stage claiming that voting to leave would be racism. Every single one of the biggest selling newspapers vindicated the view that the reason why the country was falling apart was not because of a political system could no longer meet the needs of it people, but actually it was the Polish cunts down the road.

Would you prefer if we called these people idiots instead? Because Brexit is undeniably idiotic, and in their attempt to "Make Britain Great Again" they've pulled the trigger on the gun pointed at their head, and may lead to the break up of the union.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

learnincurve posted:

1. Even the voting population didn't constitute a "vast majority". Less than half of the country overall voted for Brexit, so that's not a majority of any sort.

2. A lot of Londoners are also racist. Most people are racist. I think you'd have a really hard time finding anyone who isn't. Being racist is a compounding issue; being ignorant enough to act on prejudice instead of going "That's a bit racist, isn't it?" and trying harder is the root cause. And most people who voted for brexit are indeed ignorant, which you can tell because they believed that Brexit constituted a binding NHS pledge and that immigration has no positive effects. A lot of remain voters also believe this, to be clear, they're just more scared of the economy exploding after we leave the EU, as, again, most of London is also ignorant.

3. Everywhere outside of London. Except Bristol. And Manchester. And the entirety of Scotland. I will also note, funnily enough, that many of the places voting remain were the places with more migrants, almost like, having actually met muslims and romanians, most people decide they're not actually devilspawn.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The big problem you/remainers have is that in the average northern town, people's lives were completely unaffected by the drop in the value of the pound. Stuff like white goods and televisions are still the same price in Argos, wilcos haven't raised prices, market stalls haven't increased the prices on fruit and veg, milk is still being priced artificially low, rents haven't gone up, there hasn't been a mass exodus of employers from the UK. What is it, one bank pulled out and it turned out that 99% of their employees were European? The predicted economic cataclysm has in fact, not happened.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Pissflaps posted:

I don't know who SWL is but I'm not impressed with this analysis as he's out of date or simply wrong on several issues.
Professor of macroeconomics at Oxford, and was strongly critical of the original Yes campaign for its dishonesty over economic issues.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Those were things that were predicted to happen post-Brexit. Brexit hasn't happened yet.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

learnincurve posted:

The big problem you/remainers have is that in the average northern town, people's lives were completely unaffected by the drop in the value of the pound. Stuff like white goods and televisions are still the same price in Argos, wilcos haven't raised prices, market stalls haven't increased the prices on fruit and veg, milk is still being priced artificially low, rents haven't gone up, there hasn't been a mass exodus of employers from the UK. What is it, one bank pulled out and it turned out that 99% of their employees were European? The predicted economic cataclysm has in fact, not happened.

This isn't a problem for this Remainer.

I want to be proved wrong about Brexit. I want it to be a success.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

learnincurve posted:

yet

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Hello I live in Scotland but am against the UK leaving the EU, how much is that opinion worth on a scale of Smug London Elite to Xenophobic Non-Racist Northerner?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

learnincurve posted:

Gentle reminder: Brexit hasn't happened yet

Also inflation has increased thanks to the falling value of the pound, so your line about prices increasing isn't even true anyway.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

feedmegin posted:

In addition to everyone else pointing out you don't know how the gently caress our constitution works and/or have time travelled from 1910, you realise the government could do exactly what it threatened to do back then and get the Queen to appoint as many pro-Brexit Lords as are necessary to vote things through? You may want to read a GCSE History textbook, just saying.

Every government since Lloyd George has threatened to pack the Lords. Neither has done so because using the Parliament Act has sufficed.

Also, if you travelled back to 1910, you'd realise that King Edward refused to appoint new Liberal peers unless the Lords voted down a Parliament Bill that was a clear part of their election manifesto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

learnincurve posted:

The best argument for leaving the European Union is that for the period of time in-between voting for it and actually doing it, its not gotten that much worse for people living in the North.

• Locked thread