Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

pr0zac posted:

NaCl is the academic implementation, you want libsodium which has wrappers for multiple languages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
that's what you gotta remember about djb: yes he is a genius and everything he writes is Good but everything he writes is also Unusable because he's stubborn as gently caress

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

huh i thought the dolphin guys decided to start seriously working on wii u support once the system got discontinued, whats this cemu thing

some say its closed because they got access to internal documentation / code they weren't suppose to have, which is why development has been so quick.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

A Yolo Wizard posted:

some say its closed because they got access to internal documentation / code they weren't suppose to have, which is why development has been so quick.

nonsense, everyone knows nintendo doesn't provide good documentation to anyone

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

except for that guys uncle

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a lot of yosposters are fans of the NaCl crypto library, so i was reading up on it.

don't bother, use the libsodium spinoff. nacl has a too special by half build system, I doubt you can even cross-compile it. libsodium has a sane build system, can be cross-compiled, can target web (both emscripten and native client), has a few extra goodies like secure memory handling and some more algorithms (standard ones, like aes-gcm instead of xsalsa20/poly1305, for regulatory compliance), and a simplified less error prone (therefore more secure) api

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
i managed to get 2nd place in a ctf today using the powers of google

i'll explain at 4 pm pdt tomorrow lol

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

OSI bean dip posted:

i managed to get 2nd place in a ctf today using the powers of google

i'll explain at 4 pm pdt tomorrow lol

Unsalted md5s?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Jabor posted:

Unsalted md5s?

close

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Capture the flag is fun. I am glad you got second!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Uncompressed mp3s?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

fishmech posted:

there's pressed disc copies like for every disc based console,

any proof of this? I've never heard about pressed pirate disc copies that work on unmodded consoles, ever

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Uncompressed mp3s?

...WAVs?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AIFF

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

ymgve posted:

any proof of this? I've never heard about pressed pirate disc copies that work on unmodded consoles, ever

dreamcast lets you run wild but that's the only one without some bootsy hacks

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

the year of malware on the anroid

https://security.googleblog.com/2017/03/detecting-and-eliminating-chamois-fraud.html

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Any of you goobers at ACSC?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://zcoin.io/language/en/important-announcement-zerocoin-implementation-bug/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://cyberx-labs.com/en/blog/operation-bugdrop-cyberx-discovers-large-scale-cyber-reconnaissance-operation/

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ymgve posted:

I'm about 95% sure that a properly pressed copy would work fine for an Xbox or Xbox 360, and it wouldn't surprise me to find the same applied to Xbox One. Their security, at least on the first two, comes down to flags in the game header indicating which media types a binary is allowed to run off of. The custom firmwares for Xbox 360 DVD drives just make the drives lie and say it's an Xbox game disc rather than a DVD-R. The same trick worked on the original Xbox, but only a few people ever bothered because those were so easy to completely hack.

There are definitely non-standard tracks on an Xbox game disc, but if you're at the scale of pressing copies I can't imagine it's hard to replicate those things.

Their security is basically designed to defeat small to medium scale piracy, probably with the assumption that anyone operating on a large enough scale to press copies will be large enough to be worth going after legally. There is unlikely to ever be a Dreamcast-grade hack where unmodified hardware can boot copies made with equipment available to normal people.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

EndlessRagdoll posted:

dreamcast lets you run wild but that's the only one without some bootsy hacks

dreamcast and I think maybe sega saturn and some other consoles from that era can run games on normal burned CDs, so there was no need to press pirate copies

there were also some warez compilations on pc that I think were professionally pressed, like https://twilight-cd.com/ but of course for that you don't need to worry about reproducing state of the art copy protection which every playstation, xbox and nintendo console has used

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

The most annoying thing about these articles is having to go remind myself which is zcoin and which is zcash and what the differences are each time

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

ymgve posted:

dreamcast and I think maybe sega saturn and some other consoles from that era can run games on normal burned CDs, so there was no need to press pirate copies

Sega Saturn had protections but the Sega CD did not.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
3DO will also read burned discs without modification, although it's very selective about what type of burned discs it will reliably read.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

infernal machines posted:

3DO will also read burned discs without modification, although it's very selective about what type of burned discs it will reliably read.

yeah that's usually just because console lasers are crap though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
FTC: IoT will just have to self-regulate. i'm sure it'll be fine

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what would the scope of IoT regulation be, if there were some? "thing with network connection"? seems more FCC at that point

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ymgve posted:

uh, yeah? back in the day people would call them "hong kong silver" discs, they started up in earnest for the PlayStation and Sega Saturn. the pirates would make masters either via getting a hold of a used master from the real production run or though careful work with replicating retail discs, and they'd also pay for laser cutting the codes in special areas that some systems demand.

it's all relatively easy to do, you just need a decent chunk of capital to start the process.

ymgve posted:

there were also some warez compilations on pc that I think were professionally pressed, like https://twilight-cd.com/ but of course for that you don't need to worry about reproducing state of the art copy protection which every playstation, xbox and nintendo console has used

you're misunderstanding something here. these discs were produced and sold to consumers as legit discs, in the same way that the shady guy on the street corner has cheap DVDs nowadays. saturn can't run burned CDs just as is, either you need a mod chip for it to do it or you need to perform a fairly tricky swap operation like you'd also do on the playstation.

these discs you could just plop int he system and play because they were identical in manufacture.

here's an example hong kong silver disc, which will boot right up in any PlayStation:

Notice that the pirate manufacturers didn't bother to use the dye to make the ink black like on most PSX games, because that's completely unneccesary to the copy protection.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

quote:

“We’re saying not ‘Let’s speculate about harm five years out,’ but ‘Is there something happening that harms consumers right now or is likely to cause harm to consumers,’”

this quote is written directly to the right of https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/26/ddos-attack-dyn-mirai-botnet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

what would the scope of IoT regulation be, if there were some? "thing with network connection"? seems more FCC at that point

roughly, something mandating ongoing manufacturer support and minimum levels of security for internet connected devices.

e.g. your fridge/stove/babymonitor/drone/doorbell connects to the internet in any fashion then you have to provide security updates for x number of years for any discovered vulnerabilities and it has to have some basic level of authenticated access, no hard coded root passwords, etc.

have really basic pen testing certification requirement, like a CE mark

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

roughly, something mandating ongoing manufacturer support and minimum levels of security for internet connected devices.

e.g. your fridge/stove/babymonitor/drone/doorbell connects to the internet in any fashion then you have to provide security updates for x number of years for any discovered vulnerabilities and it has to have some basic level of authenticated access, no hard coded root passwords, etc.

literally nothing would currently pass, the cries from industry would be amazing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, but that's the whole point of having something like the FTC, to pass regulation to protect consumers because businesses will not do it voluntarily.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

legislation dictating process is always bad, dictate results instead. Telling them they need to patch doesn't mean they'll patch right and you cant ever create valuable standards around their code quality or security.

A better idea is making manufacturers liable for security or other breaches involving their products. It doesn't matter how they keep their products secure, only that they do.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fishmech posted:

uh, yeah? back in the day people would call them "hong kong silver" discs, they started up in earnest for the PlayStation and Sega Saturn. the pirates would make masters either via getting a hold of a used master from the real production run or though careful work with replicating retail discs, and they'd also pay for laser cutting the codes in special areas that some systems demand.

it's all relatively easy to do, you just need a decent chunk of capital to start the process.

you're misunderstanding something here. these discs were produced and sold to consumers as legit discs, in the same way that the shady guy on the street corner has cheap DVDs nowadays. saturn can't run burned CDs just as is, either you need a mod chip for it to do it or you need to perform a fairly tricky swap operation like you'd also do on the playstation.

these discs you could just plop int he system and play because they were identical in manufacture.

here's an example hong kong silver disc, which will boot right up in any PlayStation:

Notice that the pirate manufacturers didn't bother to use the dye to make the ink black like on most PSX games, because that's completely unneccesary to the copy protection.

You still needed a modded console to play HK silvers, they didn't include the copy protection region.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

spankmeister posted:

You still needed a modded console to play HK silvers, they didn't include the copy protection region.

'mechin

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

yes, but that's the whole point of having something like the FTC, to pass regulation to protect consumers because businesses will not do it voluntarily.
afaik the CE mark is a lot like UL certification, and neither of those are the american government

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

anthonypants posted:

afaik the CE mark is a lot like UL certification, and neither of those are the american government

but the FTC requires those certifications for certain types of products to be sold in the us.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

but the FTC requires those certifications for certain types of products to be sold in the us.
okay but you think the FTC should itself certify products for sale in the us. do you believe that this is an attainable goal

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

spankmeister posted:

true. some people are confused b/c there were some reprints released with silver discs but these were legit releases not bootlegs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

anthonypants posted:

okay but you think the FTC should itself certify products for sale in the us. do you believe that this is an attainable goal

cpsc banned hoverboards without a ul label

• Locked thread