Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know, it really bugs me how both Republicans and Democrats usually only talk about the middle class and comparatively rarely mention the poor. I imagine a big part of it is related to how most Americans consider themselves middle class*, but it still bugs me, since it seems like a morally obvious conclusion that the highest priority should be the help the poor.

It also bugs me how something like 60k/yr is often consider a representative middle class salary. That is significantly higher than the median individual income, which is only like 35k or something IIRC.

* I wonder how this is on the lower end of the spectrum. I know that many people who make six figures consider themselves middle class, but are there a bunch of people making like $20k who also consider themselves middle class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

HappyHippo posted:

This explanation wouldn't even fit in a tweet there's no way it gains any traction.

AHCA would save $33 bln a year -- less than the $54 bln DoD spending increase Trump wants. More money for bombs, no money for health care. #hashtag

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

You know, it really bugs me how both Republicans and Democrats usually only talk about the middle class and comparatively rarely mention the poor. I imagine a big part of it is related to how most Americans consider themselves middle class*, but it still bugs me, since it seems like a morally obvious conclusion that the highest priority should be the help the poor.

It also bugs me how something like 60k/yr is often consider a representative middle class salary. That is significantly higher than the median individual income, which is only like 35k or something IIRC.

* I wonder how this is on the lower end of the spectrum. I know that many people who make six figures consider themselves middle class, but are there a bunch of people making like $20k who also consider themselves middle class?

Yeah the middle class identity is pretty idealized, just about anybody who doesn't require government assistance is going to start asserting their middle class status. A lot of the poorest working class can't vote anyway, either because they're immigrants or were disenfranchised for committing a felony, and those that can do so in much lower numbers than those with higher incomes, so it's not surprising just about every policy is marketed as good for the middle class regardless of its actual impact.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Arglebargle III posted:

AHCA would save $33 bln a year -- less than the $54 bln DoD spending increase Trump wants. More money for bombs, no money for health care. #hashtag

Well the other problem here is that Republicans would gladly take grandma's health insurance away to buy more bombs.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

awesmoe posted:

yes this. If i want propoganda I'll go somewhere else (cspam probably)
:tipshat:

Arglebargle III posted:

Are we failing to properly message the anti-war deficit hawks who are ambivalent about Trumpcare?

Also, it's TigerBeat, but...

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/obamacare-uninsured-white-house-236019 posted:

The White House's own internal analysis of the GOP plan to repeal and replace Obamacare show even steeper coverage losses than the projections by the Congressional Budget Office, according to a document viewed by POLITICO on Monday.

The executive branch analysis forecast that 26 million people would lose coverage over the next decade, versus the 24 million CBO estimate — a finding that undermines White House efforts to discredit the forecasts from the nonpartisan CBO.

The analysis found that under the American Health Care Act the coverage losses would include 17 million for Medicaid, six million in the individual market and three million in employer-based plans.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paracaidas posted:

:tipshat:

Are we failing to properly message the anti-war deficit hawks who are ambivalent about Trumpcare?

this is probably another one of those "it turns out you need to actually appoint people to all of the political appointee positions to actually control the agency" hilarious trumpian incompetence stories, they assumed because they appointed the head it would tell them what they wanted to hear, but everyone below the single trump appointee actually did the math honestly (and then promptly leaked it so they couldn't bury it) :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Paracaidas posted:

I need to remember that nickname for Politico, it's spot on.

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

Ugh, if this poo poo passes I'm sure they'll end up kicking my 93 year old grandma out of her care home. She's on medicaid and it's already incredibly restrictive about how much money/assets she can have (literally none, they take it all), and she has COPD and all kinds of other health issues and is on oxygen.

UGHHH

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
It's always a great sign when your teams talking points alternate between 1) The cbo report is completely wrong and inaccurate 2) actually the outcome the cbo describes is a good thing because...

I wonder how long until Trump senses the winds have turned and throws Paul Ryan under the bus.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Subvisual Haze posted:

It's always a great sign when your teams talking points alternate between 1) The cbo report is completely wrong and inaccurate 2) actually the outcome the cbo describes is a good thing because...

I wonder how long until Trump senses the winds have turned and throws Paul Ryan under the bus.

Trump already came out in support of the bill, so there is no retreat. As soon as a journalist frames the question in a way that suggests defeat, he will triple down, and before you know it Tom Cotton will be calling it the gold standard of healthcare bills.

It's funny that the GOP's first order of business was to take take their total control of Washington and put it back up for grabs in 2018.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

TyrantWD posted:

Trump already came out in support of the bill, so there is no retreat. As soon as a journalist frames the question in a way that suggests defeat, he will triple down, and before you know it Tom Cotton will be calling it the gold standard of healthcare bills.

It's funny that the GOP's first order of business was to take take their total control of Washington and put it back up for grabs in 2018.

will he really though I mean he claimed that he appointed Bannon to the NSC cuz he didn't read the documents he was signing maybe he'll just say someone lied to him about what was in the bill

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TyrantWD posted:

He has also said, repeatedly, "we're doing the democrats a favor by repealing the law before it collapses next year we could easily do nothing but we're just too nice!!!!!" so he's already laying the groundwork to leave Ryan holding the bag.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Does anyone other than Ryan actually like this bill? Seems like literally all its support is "well we gotta do something cause we said we would"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

HappyHippo posted:

Does anyone other than Ryan actually like this bill? Seems like literally all its support is "well we gotta do something cause we said we would"

Well, presumably it makes some people very wealthy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HappyHippo posted:

The people recieving those massive tax cuts, who all make over $200k (single) or $250k (couple).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

evilweasel posted:

He has also said, repeatedly, "we're doing the democrats a favor by repealing the law before it collapses next year we could easily do nothing but we're just too nice!!!!!" so he's already laying the groundwork to leave Ryan holding the bag.

oh hey

quote:

“The President gave Ryan a chance,” one unnamed source "close to the President" told the publication. “If he doesn’t get his act together soon, the President will have no choice but to step in and fix this on his own. He’s the best negotiator on the planet, and if this were his bill not Ryan’s it would not be this much of a mess.”

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/breitbart-leaks-ryan-call-house-october

(i bet that source is Trump himself)

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

the best negotiator on the planet.

Quite the cult of personality you've got there, Mr President. Shame if something happened to it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The source is John Miller, who looks suspiciously like Trump but wearing Groucho Marx glasses. Could it be...?

Nahhhhh.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Steve, tell them that I gave Ryan a chance and furthermore

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Homer is the head safety inspector at a nuclear power plant. There's no way he makes less than $130k/year.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

FuturePastNow posted:

Homer is the head safety inspector at a nuclear power plant. There's no way he makes less than $130k/year.

He's Safety Inspector of Sector 7G (Not the whole plant), started out without a college degree, and had to grovel to get the job. In the early seasons especially, it's pretty clearly shown that the family makes enough to get by, but not much more than that.*

*(subject to whatever plot the writers came up with)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

This is a good thing.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FuturePastNow posted:

Homer would be getting Obamacare subsidies with his 3 kids, but would have a dramatically decreased subsidy under the AHCA.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rsk1quUps0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGui_ofbdlk

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Homer would be getting Obamacare subsidies with his 3 kids, but would have a dramatically decreased subsidy under the AHCA.

Yeah, but what year was this? Looks like he makes roughly 10.50/hr before tax. If that was 1992 (call it season 3ish), then that would adjust to 18.17 or so now.

Yeah... he's not going to be doing well with 3 kids and needing the AHCA.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

No Butt Stuff posted:

Yeah, but what year was this? Looks like he makes roughly 10.50/hr before tax. If that was 1992 (call it season 3ish), then that would adjust to 18.17 or so now.

Yeah... he's not going to be doing well with 3 kids and needing the AHCA.

Season 7, so '96.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

The fact that we're discussing how much a fictional character makes and will lose under AHCA is what's wrong with politics tbh.
I can only understand this bill if it's in a Harry Potter metaphor.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Spaced God posted:

The fact that we're discussing how much a fictional character makes and will lose under AHCA is what's wrong with politics tbh.

Harry Potter metaphors are for education cuts.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Spaced God posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ervjj_qRXXQ

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

evilweasel posted:

Trump's entire career and "leadership" style is basically this. Always have an underling available to dump full responsibility for failures onto.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Typo posted:

will he really though I mean he claimed that he appointed Bannon to the NSC cuz he didn't read the documents he was signing maybe he'll just say someone lied to him about what was in the bill

Or just lie and say he never said that. That has worked pretty well for him so far.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I wish Ryan had any personality except wanting to starve children and old people and just told Trump "OK, do your thing Mr Art of the deal".

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Barbe Rouge posted:

I wish Ryan had any personality except wanting to starve children and old people and just told Trump "OK, do your thing Mr Art of the deal".

Now now, hold it there mister...are you telling me that this doesn't scream personality?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I like the "three pronged approach to healthcare" bullshit because it's obvious to anyone with half a brain that the second this passes reconciliation they aren't going to touch it and say healthcare is "fixed".

Have they even said was step 2 & 3 are yet?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rabble posted:

I like the "three pronged approach to healthcare" bullshit because it's obvious to anyone with half a brain that the second this passes reconciliation they aren't going to touch it and say healthcare is "fixed".

Step 2 is regulatory reforms the Trump administration puts into place once they figure out what the buttons do in two years. Step 3 is the magical bill that gets through a filibuster.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rabble posted:

Well, step 3 is profit.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

evilweasel posted:

Step 2 is regulatory reforms the Trump administration puts into place once they figure out what the buttons do in two years. Step 3 is the magical bill that gets through a filibuster.

what kind of reforms would step 2 entail? Have they given any hints at all?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

clockworkjoe posted:

what kind of reforms would step 2 entail? Have they given any hints at all?

I think it's the old saw of insurance across state lines. This would destroy the state exchanges but no one seems to have thought about it that far ahead.

Maybe malpractice award limits too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

I think it's the old saw of insurance across state lines. This would destroy the state exchanges but no one seems to have thought about it that far ahead.

Maybe malpractice award limits too.

dont forget the race to the bottom w/r/t general insurance legislative and regulatory standards