Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I think the game's unconventional save mechanic is thematically significant. You make decisions and they result in meaningful experiences. Yes, you mill miss out on some things, but that's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

eatenmyeyes posted:

I think the game's unconventional save mechanic is thematically significant. You make decisions and they result in meaningful experiences. Yes, you mill miss out on some things, but that's okay.

The only time it really bothered me was when I accidentally agreed to hang out with Bea before I was able to check in with the rest of the town. :v:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Opposing Farce posted:

They have a complete playthrough of Bea's route, but I don't know if there's anywhere to just see Gregg's events without commentary. Honestly, though, just playing through the game a second time isn't a terrible idea--even a completionist run goes pretty quick once you know where everything is, and redoing the parts you've seen before isn't too bad if you do it one or two days at a time.

I just don't want to redo the dreams :sigh:

Also is there another day where spend time with Gregg I've seen getting the mascot from the store, knife fight, eating at the diner, napping with him, and I think I'm missing the last ghost hunt event

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Well, you CAN go find your save files and back them up to redo stuff that way. They're in AppData/LocalLow/Infinite Fall/Night in the Woods/, and persist.dat keeps track of journal entries from previous playthroughs so that you can get the journal completion achievement.

Speaking of playing through a second time, I think the moon/eclipse in the dream sequences is the hole in the sky the Black Goat/Ibon went through to reach the world from the starry desert.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

I just don't want to redo the dreams :sigh:

Also is there another day where spend time with Gregg I've seen getting the mascot from the store, knife fight, eating at the diner, napping with him, and I think I'm missing the last ghost hunt event

You missed something when you went on the work trip with Bea.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

McFrugal posted:

Well, you CAN go find your save files and back them up to redo stuff that way. They're in AppData/LocalLow/Infinite Fall/Night in the Woods/, and persist.dat keeps track of journal entries from previous playthroughs so that you can get the journal completion achievement.

Speaking of playing through a second time, I think the moon/eclipse in the dream sequences is the hole in the sky the Black Goat/Ibon went through to reach the world from the starry desert.

I deleted my saved game since there was no NG+. Is it too late now?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Btw, if you like this game you might wanna check out Clementine

and Night Physics

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

eatenmyeyes posted:

You missed something when you went on the work trip with Bea.

OK I got the fixing the mascot scenes (car and apt), breaking into the society, legends, and gregg's ending at the party barn.

I actually liked Gregg's events more than Bea since they were a nice change of pace and somewhat happier. They should've let me do 2x activities in one day.

Alder fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 14, 2017

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I think the thing about Bea's events is because that relationship is kind of more complicated and contentious and Mae and Bea have these big interpersonal issues that the events never really quite resolve, Bea's route works noticeably better for the ending. Like, all of Gregg's events are great, and all together they tell a really nice, sweet story, but "Legends" ties that story up pretty neatly so it kind of becomes separated from the main plotline of the game. "Proximity," on the other hand, really doesn't resolve Mae and Bea's relationship, at least not completely--they talk things out and come to an understanding about their friendship and where they stand with each other, but part of that is Mae and Bea recognizing that they do have all of this baggage and it's not something they can just get rid of with one heartfelt conversation. And since Bea's last event leaves stuff unresolved, it creates this kind of thing where "Proximity" isn't really the culmination of their relationship the way "Legends" is for Mae's friendship with Gregg. Instead, the culmination of Mae and Bea's friendship is the actual climax of the game, because that's when Mae opens up about the biggest thing that's been driving all this resentment, and it's when Bea proves their uneasy, imperfect friendship is strong enough to keep them together even in the worst of times. It's not just proximity, it's not just two people who don't really like each other stuck together because they have no better options, and even if it was it wouldn't matter because at the end of everything you have to hold on to anything. In spite of everything else, Bea is in Mae's corner when she needs it most, and considering what the game is about that means everything.

The Gregg version of the ending is great because Gregg is great and Mae is great and the story itself is compelling, but I think the emotional arc of Bea's story connects more strongly to the emotional and thematic arc of the main plot, and it really makes the entire game come together beautifully.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 14, 2017

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Opposing Farce posted:

I think the thing about Bea's events is because that relationship is kind of more complicated and contentious and Mae and Bea have these big interpersonal issues that the events never really quite resolve, Bea's route works noticeably better for the ending. Like, all of Gregg's events are great, and all together they tell a really nice, sweet story, but "Legends" ties that story up pretty neatly so it kind of becomes separated from the main plotline of the game. "Proximity," on the other hand, really doesn't resolve Mae and Bea's relationship, at least not completely--they talk things out and come to an understanding about their friendship and where they stand with each other, but part of that is Mae and Bea recognizing that they do have all of this baggage and it's not something they can just get rid of with one heartfelt conversation. And since Bea's last event leaves stuff unresolved, it creates this kind of thing where "Proximity" isn't really the culmination of their relationship the way "Legends" is for Mae's friendship with Gregg. Instead, the culmination of Mae and Bea's friendship is the actual climax of the game, because that's when Mae opens up about the biggest thing that's been driving all this resentment, and it's when Bea proves their uneasy, imperfect friendship is strong enough to keep them together even in the worst of times. It's not just proximity, it's not just two people who don't really like each other stuck together because they have no better options, and even if it was it wouldn't matter because at the end of everything you have to hold on to anything. In spite of everything else, Bea is in Mae's corner when she needs it most, and considering what the game is about that means everything.

The Gregg version of the ending is great because Gregg is great and Mae is great and the story itself is compelling, but I think the emotional arc of Bea's story connects more strongly to the emotional and thematic arc of the main plot, and it really makes the entire game come together beautifully.

So, what you're saying is BeaBea + Maedae 4eva.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

rotinaj posted:

So, what you're saying is BeaBea + Maedae 4eva.

Absolutely.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bea reminds me far too much of a lot of people I used to know when I used to get so drunk I'd agree to things like "DJ a goth night".

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

precision posted:

Bea reminds me far too much of a lot of people I used to know when I used to get so drunk I'd agree to things like "DJ a goth night".

The joke where you go to Hot Topic and they have Bea's shirt on one of the racks is pretty good.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 15, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Opposing Farce posted:

I like Bea but I feel like their friendship is dysfunctional and this is probably what makes it more realistic than 100% game friendships. I can see them growing apart in the next few years unless there's significant change in their lives.

Now that I've seen both routes I realize almost all of Mae's friends are leaving her behind and Germ is right how everyone is going or wishing they'd be anywhere but here.

"Do Mae and Bea start dating after one of the endings?
No, but they do eventually find a decent BBQ place like 40 minutes away and that's pretty good." @bombsfall

Alder fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 14, 2017

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, I also think for thematic reasons and how it dovetails with the climax that Bea's route is a little more compelling than Gregg's, but I do like that there's events and differences for both characters since it encourages replaying to find more cool hidden stuff and some people are going to be more drawn to either character's story.

Also discovering a decent BBQ place nearby is basically a happy ending.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Alder posted:

I like Bea but I feel like their friendship is dysfunctional and this is probably what makes it more realistic than 100% game friendships. I can see them growing apart in the next few years unless there's significant change in their lives.

Now that I've seen both routes I realize almost all of Mae's friends are leaving her behind and Germ is right how everyone is going or wishing they'd be anywhere but here.

"Do Mae and Bea start dating after one of the endings?
No, but they do eventually find a decent BBQ place like 40 minutes away and that's pretty good." @bombsfall

I think Bea and Mae can work pretty well as a friendship. They are a pretty good influence on each other. Mae needs a healthy dose of reality that Bea can give her. And through Mae, Bea is able to actually live a little and actually break away from her routine of work, exhaustion and self-pity. For instance, without Mae, Bea doesn't even have the confidence to go the party she really wanted to go to, despite her having other friends there (Jackie). If anything, Mae and Gregg's relationship is the most dysfunctional one in the game, as Mae is enabling him to slide back into all of his old bad habits which actually threatens his only chance to make it out of there if he gets fired and/or arrested.

Though everyone is leaving possum springs at one point or another. There's really no future for anyone there, Mae included.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mae is bisexual, right? I know she likes "cute boys" but I could have sworn she also mentions being attracted to women at least once, early on?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Yeah, it's mentioned in Proximity with the bear lady, one of the Gregg hangouts where he says that he and Angus were the only queer people in town and she says she's there now too, and in the Bea graveyard adventure when asked about her ideal date, along with probably other places that I forgot about.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Mae is bisexual, right? I know she likes "cute boys" but I could have sworn she also mentions being attracted to women at least once, early on?

Might you be thinking of Angus's coworker?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ Oh yeah, that's where that conversation occurs, but my point stands because she definitely likes that one boy

It always makes me happy when writers don't use "bisexual" as shorthand for "will gently caress anything that moves and is always horny".

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

precision posted:

I think everyone here can agree that cute boys aren't so great. :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Gregg is cute and he rulz ok :colbert:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

precision posted:

her laptop is filled with popups of hunky dudes and cute ladies

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

precision posted:

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/836137525588688896

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

precision posted:

Gregg is cute and he rulz ok :colbert:

Get you a man who will loving bean you with beer bottles what the gently caress Gregg??

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Mae wants a tough person she can wrestle. Guy, girl, she's not picky. She thinks "cute" is overrated. These are the things we know from the game.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Time machine...

Three-Phase posted:

Just enjoy the fleeting halcyon days here before it gets ruined by Reddit and Tumblr.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
how exactly is this the game getting ruined?

(also that's literally one of the game writers giving an answer to the question, it's not a fan giving their own take on mae)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oh that's great. I've always been pansexual but I'll say "bi" if I don't have time for the entire "I'm attracted to people regardless of what's between their legs, I'd date a very femme boy just as easily as I'd date a femme girl, and likewise I have no interest in "butch" people of either gender".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kurona_bright posted:

how exactly is this the game getting ruined?

I assume that poster thinks it will ruin a game about being an outcast, growing up, fitting in, and figuring out what you're all about to discuss this stuff. Which is silly.

e: Do you have to do well/poorly on all 3 songs in the same playthrough for the trophies, because gently caress that last song :mad:

precision fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 15, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I love this part:

quote:

like mae probably hasn't discovered the word "pansexual" yet. mae barely knows that whales aren't fish or that you shouldn't microwave silverware.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
incidentally since im not sure it was mentioned: scott confirmed jackie was a trans woman on twitter, and also that an ingame mention will probably be patched in at some point

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

youcallthatatwist posted:

incidentally since im not sure it was mentioned: scott confirmed jackie was a trans woman on twitter, and also that an ingame mention will probably be patched in at some point

Honestly I'm a little disappointed we don't see much of Jackie because it sounds like there was more to her in earlier versions of the game but all we really get now is "she doesn't like Mae" which, while not unjustifiable, makes her seem like kind of a jerk.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just hung out with Angus.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

precision posted:

I assume that poster thinks it will ruin a game about being an outcast, growing up, fitting in, and figuring out what you're all about to discuss this stuff. Which is silly.

e: Do you have to do well/poorly on all 3 songs in the same playthrough for the trophies, because gently caress that last song :mad:

Yeah, you have to do really bad (like miss over 50% of the notes) for 3 songs for one trophy, and then I think get 90% of them right for all 3 for the other.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Just picked this game up and holy poo poo its so charming. Reminds me a lot of the same feelings i got from Life is Strange.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

precision posted:

Oh believe me I really hope that I'm completely wrong about some of my prognostications here, because I don't think we've really seen a game quite like NITW before.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

Just picked this game up and holy poo poo its so charming. Reminds me a lot of the same feelings i got from Life is Strange.

I get the comparison, but the whole time I was playing NITW I felt like it was a less dour Kentucky Route Zero.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Forgall posted:

Btw, if you like this game you might wanna check out Clementine

and Night Physics
Huh. Weird characteristic common between NITW and both of these: no tails.

In return, here is a song that suits NITW.

And for something even more tangential, if anyone had a pause or "wait what" at all when Pastor K said she was being stood up, here is a book on the subject (also a film).

AAAAAAGH