Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

evenworse username posted:

Delighted to see that there's a model for a Crocodile. Want a big flamethrowing tank.

I guess if I want to be fussy and have my little dudes be Canadian I just use the British rules?

Most commonwealth platoons were organised the same way, any differances usually are a few riflemen more. If you want to do it the groggy way (is there any other?) just look up the TO&E for a Canadian rifle platoon and drop it in for British.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Delighted to see that there's a model for a Crocodile. Want a big flamethrowing tank.

I guess if I want to be fussy and have my little dudes be Canadian I just use the British rules?

I've been using 1/48 scale armor because I'm "one of those guys". (The 1/56 stuff looks too small! Also I really enjoy the model-making aspect of the armor, so I go all-in on detail.) It changes your selection, opens up a few doors but closes a few others (like the Crocodile).

I think Canadians use British rules, yeah.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

zokie posted:

Most commonwealth platoons were organised the same way, any differances usually are a few riflemen more. If you want to do it the groggy way (is there any other?) just look up the TO&E for a Canadian rifle platoon and drop it in for British.

Between that, and minutely researching the right markings &c. for these little guys, I'm already doomed, aren't I?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I'll have to check my book at home to confirm, but from what I remember, pike blocks + sleeves of crossbow/musket are treated as a single unit when they're on the battlefield to capture how they were commanded on the battlefield. There's an order to make a hedgehog, for instance, where the pikes form a square and the muskets surround them.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I believe you're right in that it would be 9 units, because each block of pikes is a unit, and each wing of shot is a unit, so you'd get 9 in total. Googling backs this up, but just like in Black Powder, there are disagreements on exactly how large each one of those units should be, both in model count and frontage size.

OK TY I will revert the needful tomorrow. The "personality" of BP has swung me a little back towards larger-scale, fewer miniatures: I keep looking at the big BP/P&S boxes and thinking: I'm sure someone at Salute would trade me half and half - and then I could use that army directly in my KoW games too.

Phi230 posted:

My CoC rulebooks and bits just game in yeaaaahhhh boiiiii

M8 you're gonna have a blast - what made you go with CoC over BA (in general) ?

I mean, if that's what you're into, come to the world of moderns and let me spread the good word of Fistful of TOWs where each man or tank can actually represent one man or tank if you're sufficiently crazy dedicated.

oh god no - I just assumed it was par for course for historicals since it would appear that any thought of a points or army list is anathema.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just bought both CoC and BA lol. Just gonna make my lists conform to CoC/historical authenticity anyway and play BA with those lists.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Between that, and minutely researching the right markings &c. for these little guys, I'm already doomed, aren't I?

I've been in your place and it's not that bad.

This site will be a huge help:
http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/vehicles/markings/unitsignsinfantryunits.htm
http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/vehicles/markings/formationsigns.htm
http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/vehicles/markings/vehiclemarkings.htm

Dig around, there's a ton of amazing information buried everywhere.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The only annoyance I've had so far with making my BA lists more historically accurate is that in BA, transports cost points and are on the table, when in real life they'd be far away from the shooting, and that accurate US rifle squads should be 12 men and the boxes of winter infantry I'm using only come with 10 so I have to buy more goddamn minis.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What is a good scale for the age of rifles? I wanna get into American Civil War and Nappy Wars but 28mm seems kinda small in scope for such conflicts

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
if 28mm is too small for you, go with 54mm

:ssh: i get that you mean larger scale battles. just play along

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Phi230 posted:

What is a good scale for the age of rifles? I wanna get into American Civil War and Nappy Wars but 28mm seems kinda small in scope for such conflicts

6mm is the scale of kings. Play division level games on a 4x4 table and have corps fight each other on 8x4.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Leaning toward 28mm though. How big can fights get in lets say Black Powder or should I downsize.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Phi230 posted:

Leaning toward 28mm though. How big can fights get in lets say Black Powder or should I downsize.

BP as a rules system scales up pretty good but if you're playing it at 28mm you'll need a giant table to play. The examples in the rule book are played on something absurd like 12x6 because the Perry bros have a ridiculous gaming dungeon.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BP as a rules system scales up pretty good but if you're playing it at 28mm you'll need a giant table to play. The examples in the rule book are played on something absurd like 12x6 because the Perry bros have a ridiculous gaming dungeon.

I just built a 8x4 table for wargaming but poo poo yeah I'll build 12x6 in the future. 28mm it is.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I quickly gave up on Black Powder in 28mm because the amount of mini's and space needed was far beyond what anyone in our group was interested in committing to. Sharp Practice 2 seems more up our alley, but I haven't gotten around to introducing it yet.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Phi230 posted:

I just built a 8x4 table for wargaming but poo poo yeah I'll build 12x6 in the future. 28mm it is.

You're insane but I'm down with it. Have fun!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

You're insane but I'm down with it. Have fun!

probably gonna be another like 5 years lmao before I even get to that stage but by god I will build it

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Hey thanks for this, now I gotta practice my freehand maple leaves I guess.

e: God's death, the Canadian army never used the Crocodile!

e2: or maybe they did, poo poo's complicated

Giant Tourtiere fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 14, 2017

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

There's an order to make a hedgehog, for instance, where the pikes form a square and the muskets surround them.

I just got hard.

I'm in the same CoD/BA boat, starting with some US paras because it seemed like a smaller investment before I get some Nazi's. I've got some CoD scheduled at adepticon in a couple of weeks, and I'm hunting for some demo action in BA and Saga, and a little Sharpes Practice. Oh, and battletech, if I feel like it.

But really, I've been eyeing that Pike and Shorts for a number of reasons. Might have to sneak one of those box deals.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I've been using Sharp's Practice and Black Powder to do Revolutionary War stuff, but this thread is totally selling me on Napoleonics. I'm gonna have to do something like a British/Portuguese army to stand out in this thread full of Frenchmen.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Hey thanks for this, now I gotta practice my freehand maple leaves I guess.

e: God's death, the Canadian army never used the Crocodile!

e2: or maybe they did, poo poo's complicated

The only units that used the Chruchill Crocs were British- primarily 31st Army Tank brigade with 141 Regiment Royal Armoured Corps (Buffs) (Normandy onwards), 1st Fife & Forfar Yeomanry (September onwards) and 7th Royal Tank Regiment (Rhine Crossing onwards)., and 25th Armoured Engineer Brigade in Italy (51st RTR). You can probably find some sort of instance where the Canadians were supported by Crocs, especially during assaults on fortified positions (Scheldt campaign, or Operation Veritable during the Rhineland campaign - there may also cases during Normandy). You're unlikely to see Canadians in Italy fight alongside Crocs, though, because I Canadian Corps was withdrawn around January/Feb to reinforce 21st Army Group in Northwest Europe.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 14, 2017

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Another Late Roman Cavalryman! :hist101:

Two more and I'll have my first unit of Hearthguard for SAGA: Aetius & Arthur.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
those romans are fuckin rad

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Looks like they used the same organisation 43-45 which was:

Platoon Commander, pistol
Sergeant, rifle
(Radioman and Runner, usually removed in CoC)

Light Mortar Team
3 crew, one sten gun

Sections 1-3
Rifle Team
JL
6 Riflemen

Bren Team
Bren, 2 crew
Rifleman

Unsure what the section leaders had, should be rifle or sten gun.

The platoon commander later got a sten, probably the same for the platoon sergeant.

Found this at bayoner strenght,you get to calculate force rating:)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Phi230 posted:

Why not just use CM for measurement? A few batreps I've seen just half inch valuuess as well. I don't think there's a need for a new table until you want to get around to it? At least gently caress no for me - I got by with a 3' x 3' board for ages and I'll be god damned if I'm going above the 6' x 4' sheet I have now.

Class Warcraft posted:

I quickly gave up on Black Powder in 28mm because the amount of mini's and space needed was far beyond what anyone in our group was interested in committing to. Sharp Practice 2 seems more up our alley, but I haven't gotten around to introducing it yet.

Can you elaborate on this please? It would appear realistically one needs only to differentiate small, medium and large units and as such you could get away with four, eight and twelve 28mm figures each at minimum, in theory. Kings of War-style unit basing would give you something like eight, twelve and twenty four figures per unit for a greater headcount - and I'm not clear how much more work that is than a WHFB/KoW type army? Unless there's some kind of inherent fragility which means the units are disposable, and you need more of them for an equivalent game size/length?

Honestly I haven't played enough of either...

Having said that,

I've been using Sharp's Practice and Black Powder to do Revolutionary War stuff, but this thread is totally selling me on Napoleonics. I'm gonna have to do something like a British/Portuguese army to stand out in this thread full of Frenchmen.

I'm reading Sharpe's Tigers along with Campaigns of Napleon at the moment and while in general the period is quite fascinating I couldn't be less enthused about Brits or French. Especially those Warlord brits - they look as dull as dish water. It's all about Russians, Prussians, Austrians, Bavarians IMO.

DiHK posted:

I've been eyeing that Pike and Shorts for a number of reasons. Might have to sneak one of those box deals.

One thing 'for' P&S is that nobody but the groggiest of renaissance era grogs is going to know if your armies should be on opposite sides of the war - so seems fairly straightward to use them in literally any other regiment based wargame.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Phi230 posted:

I do WW2 in 28mm (because someone somewhere makes literally every unit you might want to field in 28mm), but for ACW I do 15mm. That way, I can play either skirmish games using SP2, or go up to larger regimental-scale games like Gettysburg Soldiers without having to change anything other than how many stands of troops I'm fielding.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Southern Heel posted:

One thing 'for' P&S is that nobody but the groggiest of renaissance era grogs is going to know if your armies should be on opposite sides of the war - so seems fairly straightward to use them in literally any other regiment based wargame.

The flexibility for other games is one of the draws, but I'll probably just wait till I can get a starter box. I've got enough projects now between ww2 and saga.

I'd like to build an 1815 Prussian army too but they seem to be very limited model wise. The osprey, iirc, showed their infantry to consist of landwhehr, regulars, skirmishers and a very small number of grenadiers. British companies seem to give Blucher the short end of the stick. Idk why... it's not like they turned Waterloo into a decisive action or anything.

Nifara posted:

So what's the deal with the new Flames of War? Stats on disposable cards? Is that right?

In the free FoW book I got there are no stat cards. Just instructions for using the v3 theater books along with an errata booklet. Supposedly stats will be on cards for mid war stuff when they release it. I doubt they'd be disposable. I'm not paying too much attention until I see some field results with the new rules.

Somebody asked about ona bushi models, Perry might have some. Lil Jonas would know more.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 14, 2017

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

zokie posted:

Looks like they used the same organisation 43-45 which was:

Platoon Commander, pistol
Sergeant, rifle
(Radioman and Runner, usually removed in CoC)

Light Mortar Team
3 crew, one sten gun

Sections 1-3
Rifle Team
JL
6 Riflemen

Bren Team
Bren, 2 crew
Rifleman

Unsure what the section leaders had, should be rifle or sten gun.

The platoon commander later got a sten, probably the same for the platoon sergeant.

Found this at bayoner strenght,you get to calculate force rating:)

:canada: thank you! :canada:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Oh, another quick P&S/BP question - when it comes to hand-to-hand combat it says 'all units that are interlinked by enemy units they are fighting count as the same engagement'.

Does this mean all units on both sides of an 'engagement' aggregate their rolls, saves and subsequently break test results? Or just that you must 'finish' all the individual rolls, saves and break-tests of that engagement as a block before moving on?

In a scenario where I have two enemy units (1 and 2) fighting three friendly units (A, B, C) - do I aggregate the attacks, casualties and break test results? Or test individually? I.e. A vs 1, then B vs 1, then B vs 2, then C vs 2?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

"Southern Heel" posted:

Can you elaborate on this please? It would appear realistically one needs only to differentiate small, medium and large units and as such you could get away with four, eight and twelve 28mm figures each at minimum, in theory. Kings of War-style unit basing would give you something like eight, twelve and twenty four figures per unit for a greater headcount - and I'm not clear how much more work that is than a WHFB/KoW type army? Unless there's some kind of inherent fragility which means the units are disposable, and you need more of them for an equivalent game size/length?

Honestly I haven't played enough of either...

The issue we encountered is that black powder seems to have been designed around using larger formations with attention towards maneuver and it's abstraction of combat. The game just didn't work well with only 3-4 units in our experience, and no one in our group was willing to build and paint 80-100 minis in order to play it. In sharp practice on the other hand, one box of minis is enough to play, so that was an easier sell for us.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

Oh, another quick P&S/BP question - when it comes to hand-to-hand combat it says 'all units that are interlinked by enemy units they are fighting count as the same engagement'.

Does this mean all units on both sides of an 'engagement' aggregate their rolls, saves and subsequently break test results? Or just that you must 'finish' all the individual rolls, saves and break-tests of that engagement as a block before moving on?

In a scenario where I have two enemy units (1 and 2) fighting three friendly units (A, B, C) - do I aggregate the attacks, casualties and break test results? Or test individually? I.e. A vs 1, then B vs 1, then B vs 2, then C vs 2?

My understanding is that it's the latter, but multi combat is pretty rare since most of the time you'll have one unit fighting and the others providing support so you can break the other side.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ Right, because the combats are individual it's better to use support to win decisively than have a huge melee.

Class Warcraft posted:

The issue we encountered is that black powder seems to have been designed around using larger formations with attention towards maneuver and it's abstraction of combat. The game just didn't work well with only 3-4 units in our experience, and no one in our group was willing to build and paint 80-100 minis in order to play it. In sharp practice on the other hand, one box of minis is enough to play, so that was an easier sell for us.

This is a totally fair point. It's taken me two evenings so far to paint up four miniatures - very easy to say 'Oh I'll just go for 28mm big battle games' and alot harder to actually paint them. I'm thinking I may just attempt it though - even if I end up speed painting and dipping: there's just a kind of heft to the models that I grew up with which I'm just not feeling with the 6mm stuff I picked up.

Speaking of picking things up, I just bought this little set (to compare and contrast with my Russian Jagers for 'feel') and have a small question about painting these guys: https://store.warlordgames.com/products/royalist-parliamentarian-command

What kind of difference in regimental flags is the chap talking about? And is it fair to assume while there might be common blazes of colour (i.e. red, blue, yellow) among a regiment, that the regiment itself wouldn't be identically clothed?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

What kind of difference in regimental flags is the chap talking about? And is it fair to assume while there might be common blazes of colour (i.e. red, blue, yellow) among a regiment, that the regiment itself wouldn't be identically clothed?

It's referring to those regiments being dressed virtually identical but differentiated by the flags they marched behind- it was pretty common in the early modern period to have opposing sides end up with similar uniforms, so for gaming you can just model one unit of pike or whatever and print out two flags and you suddenly have roundheads and cavaliers modeled. And yeah, that's absolutely a fair assumption re: colors- when it was a noble or wealthy person commissioning a regiment they'd often get uniforms when the troops were first raised, but months/years of campaigning with erratic resupply and decentralized logistics (and lots of looting if they won battles or got near towns and cities) would have ended up with the troops wearing all kinds of stuff. The total nonstandardization is one of the draws of the period, imo.

As for the scale of your army, I personally think BP and P&S really shine at smaller scales- you can paint guys a lot faster, you get a lovely sense of bulk in your regiments, and you can fit a big battle on a small table, which is nice if you don't live somewhere that can easily support a big ol table. All the rules and painting for the games come from former games workshop designers and artists and they carry their biases with them, but the system translates extremely gracefully to other scales if you want to go down that route.

That said, if you really enjoy the modeling and painting, 28mm holds a lot of detail and can be really spectacular. It's just a slog to get an army raised. This was a lot of words so here's more of my BP mans:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
If you check my post history, you can probably still see our pics of some BP games in 18mm, with about 3 brigades of 3-4 battalions, plus a little cavalry and artillery, on each side. We found the ranges work pretty well if you cut them down to 2/3 of the ones in the books. That fits a 6x4' table perfectly.

Edit: gently caress it, have a quote:

Fish and Chimps posted:

:siren:HUGE FUCKOFF POST INCOMING:siren:

So we played a great game of Black Powder last night. We were quite unprepared, having thought out no scenario or made any sort of OrBat. We basically just used everything we had, organised into more or less historical brigades. We improvised some reinforcement rules which ended up scattering our forces and having most of the British Division on the sidelines for most of the battle. It had also been a while, so we got a lot of the rules wrong. I'll just post pics and write out what happened. If you spot a rules error or something like that, chances are we spotted it ourselves a couple of rounds late. Hope it isn't too distracting from what was otherwise a bloody great game! Seriously, this game was easily among the top 5 of games I've ever played! Black Powder is a great ruleset and we should all play it more.

After the Battle of Quatre Bras, the Anglo-allied army was doing everything it could to regroup. Picton's 5th division was scattered, and moving to assemble at a small farm near Waterloo. A battalion of Riflemen were scouting ahead, while a regiment of the King's German Legion Light Dragoons was barging ahead and past them. A single artillery battery, which had become seperated from the brigade it was attached to, was moving along the road, oblivious to the danger ahead: the farm itself was occupied by a battalion of French Light Infantry!

Having sent a runner to their parent division, the single infantry battalion was quickly reinforced by a regiment of elite French Cuirassiers. They quickly moved up the centre, trying to catch the lone battery before it could be supported. Meanwhile, a battalion of the elite Old Guard Chasseurs arrived to hold the French left flank.

Determined not to let the Cuirassiers destroy the battery, the KGL Light Dragoons flanked the them and charged their rear. In the mean time, the Riflemen advanced to the hedgerow, wanting to slow the advance of the Old Guard until more British reinforcements arrived.

The cavalry clash resulted in the Cuirassiers becoming hopelessly disordered. They ended up fleeing the field, no doubt completely taken aback at the nerve of these lowly Light Dragoons.

The Old Guard Chasseurs maneuvered to move around the Riflemen, but the skirmishers took position on the small hill, firing off harrying shots at them. The French elite reformed into line. A drawn-out firefight had erupted in the centre.

While all this happened, a regiment of French Light Dragoons had arrived on the field behind the farmhouse. They tried to emulate the success of their KGL counterparts, but were met with disastrous results! The KGL Dragoons simply about-faced on the spot, took the charge and chased them off! Their casualties were horrendous though, and they retreated to behind the hill held by the 95th Rifles to regroup, while more Old Guard battalions arrived on the field.

The single artillery battery noticed that there were no cavalry threats immediately near by, moved forward, unlimbered and opened up on the Light Infantry in the farmhouse.

Having caught their breath and being reinforced by another regiment of KGL Light Dragoons, the Anglo-German cavalry moved into a brigade line, and screened the artillery from newly arrived French light cavalry. The accurate rifle fire has been taking its' toll on the Old Guard, forcing them to retreat. The French elite reinforcements come pouring in in a steady stream by now however, making the Riflemen doubt they can keep the upper hand for long. The cavalry from both sides advance towards each other, looking to cross sabres in the centre.

Under cover of the French Light Infantry taking cover in the farm, the French Light Dragoons strike! Charging the cavalry emerge from the clouds of powder smoke, completely surprise the KGL cavalry brigade, forcing the first regiment to withdraw from the field in disorder, and pushing the second regiment back. Satisfied with their work, the French cavalry take cover in the fields behind the farm. However, the beat of drums herald the arrival of the Hannoverian Militia Brigade. Two whole battalions might even out the odds for the Anglo-allied side a little.

Wary of being flanked, the Riflemen retreat in good order, keeping up a harrying fire against the implacable Guard infantry. Meanwhile, regular French Line Infantry reinforcements arrive in the centre, negating the local numerical superiority the arrival of the Hannoverians had achieved there.

A single battalion of Hannoverians advanced on the farm, under cover of cannon fire. The other battalion was held up by disorder in the ranks, owing to the fresh militia recruits' lack of drill experience. Soon the farm was covered in powder smoke. The French cavalry took a chance, and rode hard looking to chase the British gun crew from the field, as the Guard was folding out their lines pounding the KGL Dragoons. A volley of canister shot at point blank changed their minds about the plan though.

Where the French Dragoons had failed, the Guard tried to succeed. Firing a deadly volley at close range, several artillery crewmen fell. After a few choice words from their commander however, they reorganised, turned and chased one of the Guard battalions off with well placed canister shot.

On the left flank, the British 9th Brigade arrived, evening out the odds even further. The advantage was slowly turning towards the Anglo-allied army. Furious volleys were exchanged between the highlanders and the French Line as the fight for the farm intensified.

The French Light Infantry had been forced off the farm and been replaced by a Line Infantry battalion, which was itself starting to crack under the pressure of superior allied numbers. The remaining KGL Dragoons performed feinted charges at the Guard battalions, forcing them into square formation and trying to delay them until the rest of the 9th brigade arrived on the right flank.

Getting my final British reinforcements on the right flank, and breaking the last defenders of the farm, we decided to call the game a clear allied victory. I lost my Riflemen battalion and 2 regiments of KGL Light Dragoons, the French player had lost several infantry battalions, his Cuirassiers, Light Dragoons and a lot of the Guard, plus he had lost the farm he was supposed to defend. Even though it ended sort of sudden death-like, it was midnight, we had drunk two bottles of wine, and didn't have the energy for more.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 14, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
18mm!?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Yes, though it's probably closer to 20mm. You know, heroic scale

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
18mm is essentially scale-creeped 15mm.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Wow, those do look really really good. Four per base and nine bases per unit? That's alot of mans...

Blue Moon miniatures are 18mm right? I'm looking at them now - they're within 25% cost-wise to the Perry 28mm stuff:

pre:
		Cav	Cannon	Foot	Total
# Units		2	3	5	10
Pendraken	20.48	4.95	25.6	£51.03
Bluemoon	44.64	6	51.6	£102.24
Perry-Mins	70.4	27	34.4	£131.8

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
You are going to have to post how toy did that gunsmoke

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

Wow, those do look really really good. Four per base and nine bases per unit? That's alot of mans...

Blue Moon miniatures are 18mm right? I'm looking at them now - they're within 25% cost-wise to the Perry 28mm stuff:

pre:
		Cav	Cannon	Foot	Total
# Units		2	3	5	10
Pendraken	20.48	4.95	25.6	£51.03
Bluemoon	44.64	6	51.6	£102.24
Perry-Mins	70.4	27	34.4	£131.8

8 bases per unit. We originally were going to do 6 bases, but one of the other guys thought the squares looked silly that way and convinced us to expand to 8. I've never forgiven him, but it does look cool. He was a manager at our FLGS, so he got us great deals on Man at War minis, but they didn't have the more exotic regiments you need for Napoleonics, but luckily Newline Designs French, Prussians and Brits almost matched the size perfectly.

zokie posted:

You are going to have to post how toy did that gunsmoke

It's just these https://store.warlordgames.com/products/volleyfire-lights and regular cotton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I forgot to write about our first CoC campaign game. We played the first scenarios of Operation Martlet from 2FL, and I have to say, it was a frustrating experience, mostly because of our own inexperience. We had to look up a lot of rules, and we had basically no idea how to advance on fortified MG positions, so I wouldn't recommend the campaign as one of the first things you want to do when playing CoC.

That said, the rules are still cool, and any excuse to set up a great looking table is good in my book.