Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

big scary monsters posted:

he's racist by birth but doesn't live there any more

I outwardly talk about how great multiculturalism and inclusivity are but inside i'm wondering just why all those women in headscarves can't just speak English and I avoid the bits of town that have too many black people in them

livin' the liberal dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Jose posted:

I still think it should have said stay and not remain

You're probably joking but there's a lot of stuff like this you can point to for just how lazy the remain campaign was.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My middle class mother lives in the whitest place on earth and is terrified that the Muslim hoards are going to invade her village. My working class husband works on a pig farm and remains unconcerned even though my mother has warned him that "you will be the first to go".

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So to the guy who thinks we'll have more trade.

TM went to India to gain more trade for the country.

You know what India's criteria for that was? More lax controls on Indian immigration, which they absolutely know the Tory government can't accept.

India can afford to do that because Britain is worth gently caress all for their trade and spoilers, so can literally every other world economy outside the EU.

The UK is going to go to a bunch of countries cap in hand and hope people offer them a favourable trade deal because we're worthless to them.

Instead we could have been at the head of the EU and represented the highest concentration of wealth in the world. But clearly that's a poor negotiating position.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

learnincurve posted:

My middle class mother lives in the whitest place on earth and is terrified that the Muslim hoards are going to invade her village. My working class husband works on a pig farm and remains unconcerned even though my mother has warned him that "you will be the first to go".

This is a pattern.

My nan lives in an all-white suburb in the midlands, and whenever she goes into town loudly goes "It's like you've gone to some other country!" when there's a street with like one muslim family visibly existing.

Conversely, gran goes to church with a load of arab christians and has started organising clothes drives for refugees and knits sweaters for refugee children.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I am not from London and voted remain - though I must admit I do eat humus and occasionally read the guardian

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

kustomkarkommando posted:

I am not from London and voted remain - though I must admit I do eat humus and occasionally read the guardian

Just laying my cards on the table: I love hummus.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I too am a not-London remainer. The furthest south I've ever lived was Sheffield, I don't think I've ever eaten humus (though I'm not opposed to it or anything, just never gotten round to it), I've never been to university, & I only read The Guardian to sneer at its idiot opinion writers.

Anyway, https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/841653201044721664

Buckfast to become the lone drink at our embassies, meaning Scots vote to stay in the union & all apply to work for the Foreign Office.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

I hope to god you don't eat humus.

Hummus though is lovely, best to make your own as well not difficult and usually much better than the shop bought stuff.

Remember re North voting Leave - they didn't. Most of the pro remain areas outside of Greater London in England were in northern areas, its the coastal Northern Towns and cities that were heavily Leave (Hull, etc) while the inner towns and cities were pro remain (Leeds, Harrogate, etc).

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Four years from now a GCHQ officer in a peaked cap and trenchcoat is going to interrogate you into confessing that you made this post

When you are finally taken out with the others and lined up against the wall all you will feel is an oddly relaxing feeling of relief

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have never eaten hummus or avacado. I do however have an unlimited free supply of bacon.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Not mad keen on hummus, not for socioeconomic signalling reasons, just because chickpeas are best enjoyed as a curry.

ukle posted:

Remember re North voting Leave - they didn't. Most of the pro remain areas outside of Greater London in England were in northern areas, its the coastal Northern Towns and cities that were heavily Leave (Hull, etc) while the inner towns and cities were pro remain (Leeds, Harrogate, etc).
Harrogate was incredibly close, you're also somehow ignoring sheffield, sunderland, rotherham, donny, wakefield etc. which I can personally assure you exist and are in the north of England.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I however will state I do not own a pair of sandals and kale is loving stupid

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Kale's fine if you grow it yourself, why you'd buy I have no idea. See also rhubarb.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I eat a bunch of kale because I am on a low carb diet, it's...fine? I guess? Greens are better and cheaper but more of a hassle to deal with since kale usually comes pre chopped in bags.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

learnincurve posted:

I have never eaten hummus or avacado. I do however have an unlimited free supply of bacon.

I'm a big fan of avocado.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I voted remain and live in Newcastle. I'm not particularly keen on hummus but I love falafel.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Hummus is alright i don't know why people love it so much though. I'm currently eating some nik naks

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ukle posted:

I hope to god you don't eat humus.
The good soil is all over 15' down. Don't eat humus, but honest midlands red clay is good for iron and mineral deficiencies, especially during pregnancy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Greens are better and cheaper but more of a hassle to deal with

But enough about the political party.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Hummus is nice but "chickpeas are best enjoyed in a curry" is wrong - chickpeas are best enjoyed in the form of a nice thick slice of fainá on top of an argie pizza brimming with mozzarella in a local 'hood pizzeria.

Also as a mezze, baba ghanoush is clearly superior to hummus anyway.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Party Boat posted:

I voted remain and live in Newcastle. I'm not particularly keen on hummus but I love falafel.

:same:

broccoli is the best green imo

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pochoclo posted:

Hummus is nice but "chickpeas are best enjoyed in a curry" is wrong - chickpeas are best enjoyed in the form of a nice thick slice of fainá on top of an argie pizza brimming with mozzarella in a local 'hood pizzeria.
ˇLos garbanzos están indianas!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

Also as a mezze, baba ghanoush is clearly superior to hummus anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5gTx1fVU4

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tesseraction posted:

But enough about the political party.

Apparently the Greens in my area are full of right-wing Jill Stein-esque weirdos since all the left-wing people joined the Labour party after Corbyn won

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Right... and the Swiss have a really big airport which explains them getting more trade than the French or what?

Our level of trade with the Netherlands is likely to be distorted by its prominence internationally, yes.
http://webarchive.nationalarchives....am-effect-.html
Out of all of the examples to pick this is probably the easiest to dispute.

Anyway, these are the most up-to-date figures rather than those 2014 ones. This includes graphs showing the impact of distance/size on trade.
http://visual.ons.gov.uk/uk-trade-partners/

ONS posted:

Trade relationships are usually stronger between neighbouring countries, and with countries with large economies. China and the US are large economies and are important UK trading partners even accounting for their distance from us.

However, distance is important. The value of the UK’s trading relationship with Ireland is higher than the value of UK trade with Italy or Spain. Ireland is the UK’s neighbour, even though the total size of its economy is much smaller than Italy’s or Spain’s.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

MikeCrotch posted:

Apparently the Greens in my area are full of right-wing Jill Stein-esque weirdos since all the left-wing people joined the Labour party after Corbyn won

Give it another couple of months and they'll all be back

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

learnincurve posted:

Life without avocado is literally pointless

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

MikeCrotch posted:

This doesn't surprise me.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
This is my favourite hummus.

http://www.delphifoodproducts.co.uk/en/products/dips/

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

The Green Party's central committee are full of right-wing people who are virulently opposed to gay people, trans people, black people, women, Muslims, etc.

The youth of the party frequently said that they're more naturally Labour but couldn't support New Labour. With any luck the outcome of the Corbyn experiment will at least have a new generation of left-wing Labour members to revive the party post-2020 defeat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

avocados are overrated

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

learnincurve posted:

It makes it harder to argue for Brexit if one of the main remain arguments was that if we voted yes then we would all wake up in the morning to economic collapse. Sugar tax will make more of a difference to the poor than the impact the yes vote had.

Leaving the EU opens us up for more trade deals. India, Pakistan, Australia, Canada, America, China and Russia have all said they would be open to negotiating trade deals with us. Short term pain for long term gain.

Just out of interest, what is it that you think a trade deal does, and what do you think is a country's source of leverage in negotiating one?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

The Green Party's central committee are full of right-wing people who are virulently opposed to gay people, trans people, black people, women, Muslims, etc.
Mainstream environmentalism has a very strong conservative trend when you go deep enough and I'm not sure why people are so frequently surprised given that 90% of the premise is "wasn't it better when this was all countryside?"

I'd be interested in their actual justification for hating LGBT people and women, except I'd imagine they're no more interesting than that of the Religious Right only swap The Lord with Gaia and keep the underlying reason of "they're different and I don't like them."

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

With any luck the outcome of the Corbyn experiment will at least have a new generation of left-wing Labour members to revive the party post-2020 defeat.

Yeah this will definitely revive Labour.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Guavanaut posted:

Mainstream environmentalism has a very strong conservative trend when you go deep enough and I'm not sure why people are so frequently surprised given that 90% of the premise is "wasn't it better when this was all countryside?"

I'd be interested in their actual justification for hating LGBT people and women, except I'd imagine they're no more interesting than that of the Religious Right only swap The Lord with Gaia and keep the underlying reason of "they're different and I don't like them."

I would not be surprised if there's a bunch of "Real Women" transphobia going on and talking about doing things "naturally".

As for Labour certainly in my constituency we've been making efforts to get left wing people in branch and CLP positions. All efforts at the minute are on the upcoming county council elections but after May I want to try and get the influx from the second leadership election involved, since the whole farce of the election and CLPs being shut down totally hosed recruitment and campaigning for a while and we haven't really recovered.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
babbaganoush is better than hummous every day of hte week

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

It was a bunch of old white guys. It's basically their default state. Bonus points for the bewildered looking white dude ranting about "the Islams." Local parties can be better. Mine basically just talk about carpools, recycling and disability rights.

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah this will definitely revive Labour.

Higher likelihood than impotently whining about Corbyn on a dead comedy forum!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

As a northerner I would vote yes on 'Bring Back Phileas Fogg Crisps', esp. the tortilla chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

Higher likelihood than impotently whining about Corbyn on a dead comedy forum!

At least my impotent winnings on a dead comedy forum won't actively make Labour worse.

• Locked thread