Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nipponophile posted:

I mean, different strokes and all, but I've been laughing my rear end off with every episode. Maybe the problem is you?

Every episode leaves me with a grin and the warmfuzzies. I have no idea how someone could find this show boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I mean Dragon Maid is no breakthrough in character archetypes either but people like that, dunno why it feels like LWA needs to be this big sprawling epic or be the absolute apex of comedy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Because Trigger still needs to save anime.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I never said LWA isn't good or isn't doing anything it "needs" to do. I said I, as in me alone, find it boring. No need to get testy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe Trigger isn't going to save anime. Maybe anime doesn't need saving.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I feel like I was ready to roll my eyes at the latest ep of LWA but it turned out good for me.

LWA seems like what if you had the Harry Potter books without Voldemort as some sort of happier slice of life thing where Harry's parents never died but somehow they still find a troll in the dungeons.

Perfect.

xXWehrabooXx
Mar 11, 2014

AnacondaHL posted:

Fuuka (10): That scene's construction was so hamfisted lol I knew they weren't gonna go through with it

I hope she gets trucked as the 1st cour ends for a supreme meme

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I never said LWA isn't good or isn't doing anything it "needs" to do. I said I, as in me alone, find it boring. No need to get testy.

Yeah, sorry for getting snippy. You just seemed to be complaining about it with every new episode and it's kinda hard to tell what you want out of the show

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

AnacondaHL posted:

Fuuka (10): That scene's construction was so hamfisted lol I knew they weren't gonna go through with it

I find it funny that they have her now breaking up the band anyways since she's not dead so they can still have some semblance of that arc.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Yeah, sorry for getting snippy. You just seemed to be complaining about it with every new episode and it's kinda hard to tell what you want out of the show

It's all good. I just want either the characters to do something less archetypical and more resonant or for the comedy to do stuff I find funnier. Last episode in particular was frustrating on both fronts - the only character we really learned anything about (outside of a very brief beat with Lotte and Andrew's hanger-on) was Andrew, and all we learned is that he's a snooty rich noble type with a softer side and perhaps a crush on the main character. Not really groundbreaking stuff, and unlike some of the archetypes in Maidragon I didn't really feel the execution was strong enough to make up for the rote material. Meanwhile I was able to predict what felt like half the gags in the episode just from the screenshot on Asenshi and the introduction of the love bee in like the first shot of the episode, which made it really really really difficult for any of them to get more of a chuckle out of me. And, like...it's not unfunny. And the characters aren't bad. It's just that neither of them is landing hard enough consistently enough to carry the show for me. Like I said, frustrating, and obviously very subjective.

At any rate, I'm taking a break from it so that'll be the last I say on it for a while. Was just talking.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I am both marooned via a huge snowstorm and quite ill from PAX, so I have decided to spend today marathoning Gabriel Dropout.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I am both marooned via a huge snowstorm and quite ill from PAX, so I have decided to spend today marathoning Gabriel Dropout.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

A good decision. The LordBread has blessed you on this day!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hail Satan.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This show is A-OK.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only downside to my plan was that after a point the combination of lying down + cold medicine + anime started to induce something akin to a fever dream. But the show is pretty solid for a manga that I read maybe a few chapters of and promptly immediately forgot. I definitely agree that it fills the silly/cute/dumb/funny gap that LWA has failed to do so up to this point.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

The only downside to my plan was that after a point the combination of lying down + cold medicine + anime started to induce something akin to a fever dream.

How many Gabriels/Cerberus did you count?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

AnoHito posted:

How many Gabriels/Cerberus did you count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNHIcWK2ySY

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

not one, not two, but three Eureka Seven movies got announced

https://twitter.com/EUREKA_HI_EVO/status/842572582972874752

...:toot:?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

on further research, apparently it's a recap, but is gonna start as a prequel showing the first summer of love that was only ever mentioned, then recapping the series proper. also new ending i guess. Weird

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-17/eureka-seven-gets-film-trilogy-set-a-decade-earlier-with-new-hardfloor-song/.113546

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eureka 7: The Origin

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i'm tentatively on board? first summer of love presumably means more Norb

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If they can't come up with any new E7 that's any good, I'm okay with seeing the old E7 again.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sindai posted:

If they can't come up with any new E7 that's any good, I'm okay with seeing the old E7 again.

What if they make it not good?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

chumbler posted:

What if they make it not good?

Then we can always go back to the original and leave it at that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

not one, not two, but three Eureka Seven movies got announced

https://twitter.com/EUREKA_HI_EVO/status/842572582972874752

...:toot:?
*shrug*

Though I like the look Anemone has there. So seeing her again in some form I think is OK by me.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Man, Fuuka's Tama-chan is such a well-done character. I wish the show were called Koyuki instead. (They've quite drastically failed at making me care about the titular character at all - piano, drums, guitar... every other character is more relateable).

Also, the Trinity7 movie is up on Crunchyroll now. Can't wait to watch it.

xXWehrabooXx
Mar 11, 2014

Kytrarewn posted:

Man, Fuuka's Tama-chan is such a well-done character. I wish the show were called Koyuki instead. (They've quite drastically failed at making me care about the titular character at all - piano, drums, guitar... every other character is more relateable).

Also, the Trinity7 movie is up on Crunchyroll now. Can't wait to watch it.

She was meant to be trucked relatively early and the manga is about getting over loss. Then they decided to rewrite the plot in the animu.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

xXWehrabooXx posted:

She was meant to be trucked relatively early and the manga is about getting over loss. Then they decided to rewrite the plot in the animu.

Isn't that completely ruining the entire premise?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Isn't that completely ruining the entire premise?

Nope.

There's a second Fuuka. The manga's gone on for well over a 100 chapters since the trucking too (which happened in the very early 30s), so she was always intended as the actual headliner one apparently.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think they meant the anime ruined the premise of the manga.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Lord Koth posted:

Nope.

There's a second Fuuka. The manga's gone on for well over a 100 chapters since the trucking too (which happened in the very early 30s), so she was always intended as the actual headliner one apparently.

Well I'm back on board.

e: Or maybe not, I'm not sure.

Anyways, Urara had a very strong episode with Chiya gaining some sweet Eyes of Divine Perception and I hope we get more seasons, I kinda wanna watch them climb the fortune tellers ranks.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 18, 2017

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Lord Koth posted:

Nope.

I had already read the spoiler, in fact that's what got my kinda curious about the show.

Here's the bit that I find kinda interesting:
The Fuuka that we know is apparently the daughter of the main characters from the mangaka's previous popular work, right? So dude writes this happy ending, and then just decides to utterly ruin their lives 15 years later by killing their only child.

I would love to know what prompted him to make that decision.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

probably to write a story about grief, that happens to be have more impact on people who followed his previous work. no idea how well it's actually executed though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

I had already read the spoiler, in fact that's what got my kinda curious about the show.

Here's the bit that I find kinda interesting:
The Fuuka that we know is apparently the daughter of the main characters from the mangaka's previous popular work, right? So dude writes this happy ending, and then just decides to utterly ruin their lives 15 years later by killing their only child.

I would love to know what prompted him to make that decision.

Close.

Specifically, she was their first child, and still the only one they had in their brief appearance in Kimi, but in the time since they've had another. Still traumatizing, but it's actually Suzuka who snaps the new lead out of blaming herself for the death (she's the daughter of the truck driver), because it really was Fuuka's fault for not paying attention to the crosswalk signs. They're not exactly major players and don't appear a lot, and it certainly would have hurt a lot, but he apparently went the route of them being able to get past that - to some extent at least.

At least supposedly one of the reasons the anime changed it is because he regrets the choice. I haven't really looked for a definitive source though, so that might just be hearsay. Another rumor I've heard is that it was changed because that spoiler was percolating through the net even before the show aired, and thus he wanted it changed just because. :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So apparently Yuujo Senki, Kemono Friends, and ACCA all have had major upwards drifts in their MAL score from when they first aired. Kemono Friends went from 4 to 6, ACCA from 6.9 to 7.4, and Yuujo Senki went from allegedly 7.3 to breaking 8.

An interesting season in terms of upward reassessment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Raenir Salazar posted:

So apparently Yuujo Senki, Kemono Friends, and ACCA all have had major upwards drifts in their MAL score from when they first aired. Kemono Friends went from 4 to 6, ACCA from 6.9 to 7.4, and Yuujo Senki went from allegedly 7.3 to breaking 8.

An interesting season in terms of upward reassessment.

It seems that people assumed the season would be mediocre, and thus gave all the slow starters a poor score initially.

• Locked thread