Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vegetable posted:

-100% natives means genocide. Don't do it!

Genocide is the option where you spend mil points to have your army attack the local natives in order to reduce the native population to 0 (which is absolutely what you should do if you're colonizing in one of those high-population low-dev provinces). The -100% native attack policy is actually called "coexistence" and suggests the opposite of genocide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My bad, confused the two.

Genocide still bad though

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
So I tried to combine two achievements in one run. One was conquering Scandinavia and the British Isles as a 200 point custom nation with the Norse religion, and the other was uniting North and South America starting as a 200 point custom nation. I started on the Americas with an idea set that (limited by points) gave me +1 colonist and +10 settler/month. I should be able to unite the continents, but I'm not going to be able to conquer everything for For Odin! I assumed if I got four settlers running 100-140 settlers/month ASAP I'd be able to colonize nearly everything in the Americas, but I was wrong. Even with Portugal gone before 1500AD, it took quite some time to get rid of all the European powers trying to colonize.

I wonder where you should start the For Odin! achievement, then.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm actually doing that exact run right now!

You don't want to kill the European colonizers, because letting them do their thing and grabbing the land they've settled is much, much quicker than colonizing yourself. You'll still probably want a bunch of settler bonuses, of course, to fill in the holes. In my game, I've gone to war with Spain or Portugal every few dozen years to clean them out.

One important tip that I wish I knew before now: you definitely want to go Exploration then Religious. The Holy War / Cleansing of Heresy CB is absolutely vital, because using a standard Conquest CB will cost you lots and lots of Diplomatic points when you're grabbing land in North America. I went Expansion as my second idea group instead, and I regret it.

I was kind of lucky, and Scotland was reduced to a single island off the coast of Britain, and had taken Religious ideas. I No-CB'd them and vassalized them, converting them to my religion in the process. Then, over the course of a few wars, I've been feeding the rest of the British Isles to them, and they're doing great.

Norway had broken away from Denmark, lost a few provinces to Sweden, and was a colonizer, so I fabricated a claim when they settled too close to me. Again, I vassalized them, converted them, and now they're graciously converting Swedish land and colonizing for me.

It's 1668, and I think I'm going to make it!

e: Set your custom ideas to have an extra Colonist as your first idea, and not part of your traditions. You won't be able to afford a colony for a while, anyway.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I finally did a byzantine game, and after doing the colonialistest of colonial games the last few times resolved to stay far away from expansion and exploration ideas and stay as rooted in Europe as I can and try and get mare nostrum. 1100 hours and I think it's actually my first game like this.

But wow, am I just a bit burned out on EU4 or is this style of play boring to you guys too? The first hundred years or so of beating back the ottomans, then mamluks, then Spain while at a big disadvantage were great fun, but now here I am with the eastern half of the Mediterranean, no true rivals and I just see the rest of the game playing out in constant repetition. Just constantly timing warring to avoid coalitions as I slowly eat half of europe while nobody can do anything to stop me.

Trade and colonization add such a huge amount of depth to the game, I don't understand how people can enjoy playing only on europe so much. Maybe in the HRE it's a bit different but outside of it there's not actually that much to do after you've established yourself.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Genocide still bad though

Only IRL

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Well now I've run into a problem. In my First Come, First Serve / For Odin run, I've annexed Norway, and in so doing the ownership of their colonial nation, Vinland, was transferred to me. Trouble is, First Come First Serve states that I have to directly own all non-wasteland provinces in the Americas. Uh, is there some way to annex your colonial nation? I can't even release them from servitude to attack them and take the land by force.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Node posted:

I started in Denmark for my run. This has the effect of weakening actual Denmark, making it easier to break up the PU-fest at the start.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 14, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jay Rust posted:

One important tip that I wish I knew before now: you definitely want to go Exploration then Religious. The Holy War / Cleansing of Heresy CB is absolutely vital, because using a standard Conquest CB will cost you lots and lots of Diplomatic points when you're grabbing land in North America. I went Expansion as my second idea group instead, and I regret it.

Aren't they nerfing the Holy War CB in the next expansion? :negative:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Jay Rust posted:

Well now I've run into a problem. In my First Come, First Serve / For Odin run, I've annexed Norway, and in so doing the ownership of their colonial nation, Vinland, was transferred to me. Trouble is, First Come First Serve states that I have to directly own all non-wasteland provinces in the Americas. Uh, is there some way to annex your colonial nation? I can't even release them from servitude to attack them and take the land by force.

Can you release them from the Subjects page?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You mean the screen for releasing dead nations as vassals? Nope, no Vinland in there.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Aren't they nerfing the Holy War CB in the next expansion? :negative:

That's the first I'm hearing of this; what's happening?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Jay Rust posted:

You mean the screen for releasing dead nations as vassals? Nope, no Vinland in there.

No, on the screen where you can give orders and see your subjects' liberty desire and tariffs and how much ducats they give you etc. At the bottom right of that screen there should be a button that lets you release colonial nations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Found it, thank you so much!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Node posted:

i did the easiest way i think which is London/Essex/Yorkshire/Lothian/Pale

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Did someone say ugly name placement?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arzakon posted:

:stonklol:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
New dev diary about shinto

looks cool although unless there are a bunch of events or something it seems like only 2 of the levels of isolation are at all worth picking.

also, unique ideas for every single daimyo? drat. unique models for a bunch of them too.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Arzakon posted:

I think the game did the best it could. This one is on you.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Koramei posted:

looks cool although unless there are a bunch of events or something it seems like only 2 of the levels of isolation are at all worth picking.

also, unique ideas for every single daimyo? drat. unique models for a bunch of them too.

Isolationism level 2 probably shouldn't be called "Isolationism"

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Out of curiosity, how frequently do people find they go to war when they want to expand as a smaller nation? I'm noticing that with smaller nation's manpower recovery it seems there's maybe a year or two between wars.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

spectralent posted:

Out of curiosity, how frequently do people find they go to war when they want to expand as a smaller nation? I'm noticing that with smaller nation's manpower recovery it seems there's maybe a year or two between wars.

Literally at every possible opportunity; in the first century of my Byzantium game just now I was almost constantly at war. The early game is when you have the most diplomatically isolated powers, before alliance blocks start to set in. So you wanna grab as much land as possible in that time.

Manpower is an issue you get around with mercenaries and extreme numbers of loans.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Agree with Koramei, if you're going all out as some minor, your belligerence should be moderated only by the diplomatic situation, and not by your manpower because mercs exist.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It really can't be overstated how powerful mercs are. Usually my goal for the mid game is to be able to have all my infantry be mercs. For me the biggest advantage of this is that I almost never have to worry about attrition.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Huuuh. I barely have enough gold for my standing army but I guess this is just the point where I keep taking out loans and currency debasing and paying that back by looting everyone?

Relatedly: Is America the only place to colonise in Asia? All the asian trade nodes are downstream of everything else.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

^^ just move your trade port as you go, definitely don't skip the spice islands

I'm kind of glad they're nerfing mercs next patch. I think having to care about your manpower is a good thing (but I still merc like woah)

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Koramei posted:

shinto's overhaul is a bit underwhelming compared to the confucian one. the daimyo nis are pretty exciting tho

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I've not seen any new achievements mentioned with this new expansion, they're forgetting the most important part again.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't they do a 2 hour stream on achievements?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Senor Dog posted:

I'm kind of glad they're nerfing mercs next patch.

What's all this, then?

E:

Also, €20 for the next DLC? It was going to be the first one I wouldn't buy, that just cements it further.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Tahirovic posted:

I've not seen any new achievements mentioned with this new expansion, they're forgetting the most important part again.

Seriously? Gameplay systems are more important. Or maybe you are being sarcastic I can't tell.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

THE BAR posted:

What's all this, then?

Making them more expensive, as far as I remember. Which means that the merc discount ideas are actually worthwhile.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Mandalay posted:

Seriously? Gameplay systems are more important. Or maybe you are being sarcastic I can't tell.

Looks like sarcasm to me.

They've yet to release an expansion that didn't come with new achievements to my knowledge, so I'm looking forward to whatever the new achievements lead me to trying out.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

algebra testes posted:

Didn't they do a 2 hour stream on achievements?

They revealed a couple on stream, there's four new timed achievements that you have until 1500 to complete similar to Big Blue Blob.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

don't need achievements to have a good time. ah now to start brittany... ah.... hah. gonna start now...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

algebra testes posted:

Making them more expensive, as far as I remember. Which means that the merc discount ideas are actually worthwhile.

Oh sure, gold will solve this problem.

Maybe if they didn't inherit your nation's land combat NIs, it doesn't make much sense that mercenaries are identical to your own trained troops, anyway.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
No I wasn't being sarcastic, I don't care too much about Asia right now and this DLC doesn't make that area any more interesting to me. The only system changes I'd really care about would be to make trade less Euro-centric or merge the half-dozen tacked on features like estates/corruption and what not into an actual fun and integrated system. Some rework to the PU system would be great too.

These days I actually need achievements to help me decide which nation to play, so getting new ones is more important to me than this China overhaul.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I stopped playing ironman a while back, but achievements really are nice. They give you a sort of win condition in this game that's otherwise open-ended.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Are there any other dev studios that do achievements as well as Paradox? I thought they were the most retarded thing until I played CK2 and EU4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wafflecopper posted:

Are there any other dev studios that do achievements as well as Paradox? I thought they were the most retarded thing until I played CK2 and EU4
I like some of the achievements in PayDay2. They encourage you to use different playstyles / do things differently to get them, or be lucky and/or persistent. They dont do it as well as EU4's though. Also there are like 500+ of them.

I think with Paradox's niche and how EU4 is so set-piece at the start, with such a prominent historical backdrop, they do a great job of utilizing the opportunity.

• Locked thread