Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dareon posted:

Looks like a pre-Comics-Code horror comic, which were like 90% horrible things happening for no reason. I may not like the Code much, but I have to admit it lead to more coherent storylines and actual resolutions at the end.
It is - it's from Fantastic Fears #8, which was only a few months before the CCA came in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wow.

And those cops really are great.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dareon posted:

Looks like a pre-Comics-Code horror comic, which were like 90% horrible things happening for no reason. I may not like the Code much, but I have to admit it lead to more coherent storylines and actual resolutions at the end.

Wasn't part of the reason for the code to basically kill EC comics, because they (rightfully so) utterly dominated the horror comics?

I get the feeling it wasn't because they were telling great, genre-defining stories (which let's be clear, they were) insomuch as apparently nobody else could achieve even basic competence.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I don't know enough about the Code to comment to that causation, but killing EC Comics was a definite goal. I don't have a real solid grasp of the situation, most of my knowledge comes from The Horror! The Horror!, an anthology of horror comics and examination of the genre and events surrounding the creation of the Code.

Mostly what sticks when I think about the Code is the absolutely abysmal science performed in Seduction of the Innocent and how concerned parents and lawmakers just lapped that bullshit up.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo that cactus comic is terrifying and the cops just slightly annoyed at how they're going to explain this poo poo makes me wonder what other horrible things they've seen.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Holy poo poo that cactus comic is terrifying and the cops just slightly annoyed at how they're going to explain this poo poo makes me wonder what other horrible things they've seen.

-Multiple variations on death by animated skeleton
-A few straight-up meltings
-An eyewitness report of a man who started yelling at a sack, crawled in, and disappeared
-A slave ship full of cannibals who quite unfortunately ate their slaver

Really, if you're a cop in a horror comic, usually you come out okay, but wishing you were back on the gang unit.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 13, 2017

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Red posted:

I'm blanking on the guy between Shocker and Melter.

Also, isn't Shocker still head of the NY crime families?

That's Diamondhead. He was one of Nova's old enemies who nowadays is mostly used to show how completely outclassed he is by both Novas.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Here's a rare golden oldie for most folks.. pretty sure they used these whenever they couldn't sell ad space in the books, which in the 70's-80s happened more often than not..

Obviously drawn/inked by marvelous Marie Severin, and probably was in more than a few scattered Marvel issues..

Love that Iron Man has Salicrup in a neck lock and is obviously telling him "you don't draw me with the nose- EVER"

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 13, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not sure if Spider-Woman is trying to murder Uncle Roj or creepily ruffling his hair.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
What does Cyclops' visor say? HAMOO ?

Edit: It must be WAHOO.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Synthbuttrange posted:

The guy with the diamond for a head is called Diamondhead.

Is he from Hawaii?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lobok posted:

Is he from Hawaii?

He's got his own theme song built-in.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Oh, Spidey Super Stories:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Oh, Spidey Super Stories:

They could adapt Spidey Super Stories straight into Deadpool and I'm not sure if people would notice.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Red posted:

What does Cyclops' visor say? HAMOO ?

Edit: It must be WAHOO.

I'm pretty sure it's NANOO. A Mork from Ork reference, I guess.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Scaramouche posted:

They could adapt Spidey Super Stories straight into Deadpool and I'm not sure if people would notice.

I want a Spidey Super Stories movie

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Gaz-L posted:

I'm not sure if Spider-Woman is trying to murder Uncle Roj or creepily ruffling his hair.

:obligatory por que no los dos reference:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

All-Star Batman #8

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Scaramouche posted:

Or Newspaper Spider-Man. That could apply to either of those.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Guess Batman's no killing thing doesnt extend to flamingos

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

poly and open-minded posted:

Guess Batman's no killing thing doesnt extend to flamingos

That only barely extends to human beings. Batman has no problem whatsoever with murdering animals/aliens/anything he doesn't consider "human".

Someone post the panel where Batman blithely murders a giant and is all "he's better off this way".

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

biracial bear for uncut posted:

That only barely extends to human beings. Batman has no problem whatsoever with murdering animals/aliens/anything he doesn't consider "human".

Someone post the panel where Batman blithely murders a giant and is all "he's better off this way".

From the first 12 issues? Batman murders like 20 people during those.

The first thing he does in combat in the first issue is throw a guy off the roof. The "no killing" thing came later.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That same comic also had him killing the drivers of Dr. Strange's trucks with aircraft-mounted machine guns.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

That same comic also had him killing the drivers of Dr. Strange's trucks with aircraft-mounted machine guns.

Huh so BvS didn't veer away from the comics at all!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Huh so BvS didn't veer away from the comics at all!

You can also read The Dark Knight Strikes Again, Frank Miller's sequel to the famous The Dark Knight Returns. He went completely off the deep end by that point and it's a mixture of Picasso-esque art and horrible dialogue.

The creepy girl is Lara, Superman and Wonder Woman's daughter. The series ends with Superman finally admitting that Batman is right and both of them breaking their rules to start killing bad guys, and the final villain is Dick Grayson, having been fired by Bruce for being "unable to cut the mustard" as Bruce keeps saying and being made immortal and insane through genetic manipulation.

It's in the same continuity as All-Star Batman, of the "I'm the goddamn Batman" line.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Like at the lowest 1 in 5 of the thugs Batman kicks the poo poo out of dies of complications within a few days, if they ever get treatment at all. Same with any other hero.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Who What Now posted:

Like at the lowest 1 in 5 of the thugs Batman kicks the poo poo out of dies of complications within a few days, if they ever get treatment at all. Same with any other hero.

The old genre convention where being knocked unconscious has no negative side effects is working overtime on Batman's behalf.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's not like the good guys don't get knocked unconscious on a regular basis with no side effects. Batman should logically be like one of those retired wrestlers who can't remember his name because of all the concussions.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

purple death ray posted:

It's not like the good guys don't get knocked unconscious on a regular basis with no side effects.

See Hal Jordan, career of

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Keeshhound posted:

This is just an empty folder, and it smells bad

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

purple death ray posted:

This is just an empty folder, and it smells bad

Not true. There's some dried guacamole stuck in there

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Keeshhound posted:

Yeah, head injuries have clearly not taken a toll on Hal.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

chitoryu12 posted:

You can also read The Dark Knight Strikes Again, Frank Miller's sequel to the famous The Dark Knight Returns. He went completely off the deep end by that point and it's a mixture of Picasso-esque art and horrible dialogue.

The creepy girl is Lara, Superman and Wonder Woman's daughter. The series ends with Superman finally admitting that Batman is right and both of them breaking their rules to start killing bad guys, and the final villain is Dick Grayson, having been fired by Bruce for being "unable to cut the mustard" as Bruce keeps saying and being made immortal and insane through genetic manipulation.

It's in the same continuity as All-Star Batman, of the "I'm the goddamn Batman" line.

I thought it was also due to him being in love

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

chitoryu12 posted:

You can also read The Dark Knight Strikes Again, Frank Miller's sequel to the famous The Dark Knight Returns.

Say what you will about that, it had the Question in it. And Frank, for one brief shining moment goes back to being the Frank of the 80's and produces a moment of pure gold. He has him say this.

quote:

"I will gather evidence — document every foul lie. I will forge my manifesto. My challenge to any free mind that may find it. Like a note in a bottle. Cast into the ocean. [...] The mind of man must be reclaimed — if not by this generation or by the next, then some day. Some decade. It is not in my power to effect the change. I haven't the might. I am not the answer. I am only the Question.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Fine! It was a robot flamingo

Y'all don't deserve a funny panels thread.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 15, 2017

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It always bugged when superheroes have no problem killing intelligent aliens but will go to insane degrees to not kill a human. Same with them killing artificial intelligence robots.

If they're sentient, don't kill them guys. Be consistent.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Question IRL posted:

Say what you will about that, it had the Question in it. And Frank, for one brief shining moment goes back to being the Frank of the 80's and produces a moment of pure gold. He has him say this.

The Question then spends almost all of his screen time afterward arguing about Marxism with Green Arrow.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

chitoryu12 posted:

The Question then spends almost all of his screen time afterward arguing about Marxism with Green Arrow.

You know those plastic tabs on the end of shoe laces? Their true purpose is sinister.

Sorry not from a comic panel :shobon:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

chitoryu12 posted:

words and pictures

dude what is up with Superman's face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge