Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Samurai Jack is a very episodic show and there's a lot that's skippable. The art and visual storytelling is a constant treat though and for every skippable episode is a really incredible moment or two.

There's probably a million "must watch" SJ episode lists out there to show the essentials that are pretty easy to find, but I imagine most of them generally include:

The Premiere Movie - first three episodes, set-up the main premise
Jack and the Three Blind Archers - visually stunning, one of the peaks of the show's show don't tell style
Jack and the Scotsman - introduces the best recurring character, basically any episode with the word "Scotsman" in the title is a guaranteed good time
Aku's Fairy Tales - funny as hell, bit of insight into the villain's mind
Jack vs Aku - a tour de force of amazing lines and mind games
Tales of X9 - just watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Also Samurai versus Ninja for the sunset battle. Mad balls, that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

As long as you're familiar with the basic concept of Samurai Jack, S5 shouldn't lose you, but it'll probably have more impact if you've seen some of the show, and like was said earlier, it was completely episodic with the only real continuity being the Scotsman episodes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just do know that this final season is serialized. And adding a shout-out for "Jack vs the Rave".

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

And adding a shout-out for "Jack vs the Rave".

Oh yes.

Jump Good episode is good.
That haunted house episode, and that graveyard zombies episode.
The episode with the bounty hunters in the cabin.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The_Doctor posted:

Would I need to watch seasons 1-4 of SJ, or is this a decent jumping on point?

You should watch seasons 1-4 because Samurai Jack is really drat good outside of a few stinkers, and even some of the stinkers are adorable in their nineties sensibility. (See: Jack vs. the Rave.)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The only SJ eps I'd really dub bad were all from the first season, and even then, it's more because they were just kinda average kids cartoons fare than anything else.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Is it just me, or did every single one of Cartoon Saloon's productions have this dimension?

furries. the lot of them.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

Animation seems like a great career choice if you're into weird sex things
...okay, that's probably selling Cartoon Saloon hella short

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The_Doctor posted:

Would I need to watch seasons 1-4 of SJ, or is this a decent jumping on point?

All you need to know about the show, it tells you in its theme song.

Also loved the premiere. After Sym-Bionic Titan was so ehhhhh I had tempered my expectations, especially since the move to Adult Swim could make it so easy to overindulge, but it used the new freedom so well and seems to be using it to an actual point re: having to actually fight actual humans and not just robots and monsters.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Saw Sing last night finally. I liked it. It wasn't Zootopia, but it made me want more of it anyway.

Pretty sure Mike is dead though, but no big loss.

There needs to be more Johnny in the 2020 sequel (which is a thing). Also more of the lab technician hippo. He was all over that movie in the background.

I'd watch the gently caress outta this.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 13, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I LOVE the animation in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbVKo9woevU

I HATE how much this trailer is just *record scratch* JOKE over and over. I'm sure the movie has plenty of jokes but this trailer feels specifically cut up to be that way and the movie won't be anywhere close to that

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Macaluso posted:

I LOVE the animation in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbVKo9woevU

I HATE how much this trailer is just *record scratch* JOKE over and over. I'm sure the movie has plenty of jokes but this trailer feels specifically cut up to be that way and the movie won't be anywhere close to that

Gonna take my bf to that, he loves the smurfs (and he hated the previous half live action movies -- which this new one seems to step far away from, and back to the roots of the characters)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I guess it looks watchable. I'll be real though, if I didn't go see Moana in theatres I'm probably not going to go see The Smurfs.

Maybe a Netflix curiosity-watch though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I keep re-watching Trolls in the background when I work. I do like the movie a lot, but also drat I just like the sound of it. Arrrgh.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pick posted:

I keep re-watching Trolls in the background when I work. I do like the movie a lot, but also drat I just like the sound of it. Arrrgh.

"You all said I was crazy. Well Who's crazy now?

Me.

Crazy prepared"

Is one of my favorite movie lines in anything ever. So many twists and turns!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I wouldn't be caught dead at your party. But you will be. Caught, and dead.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I also wanna shout out the Samurai Jack finale. It doesn't tie anything up in any way, but it's a cool homage to Lone Wolf and Cub.

Also I reviewed the new episode on Cartoons 101 today. Probably too late to matter but I was crazy busy this weekend: https://youtu.be/Nn9F3lulofg

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Unmature posted:

I also wanna shout out the Samurai Jack finale. It doesn't tie anything up in any way, but it's a cool homage to Lone Wolf and Cub.

Also I reviewed the new episode on Cartoons 101 today. Probably too late to matter but I was crazy busy this weekend: https://youtu.be/Nn9F3lulofg

Loved it.

The little tease of Aku's voice was great and reminded me of why the little splashes of humor in the show just work so well. I know Mako is going to difficult to replace but Greg Baldwin should be a decent stand in. His work on Korra/Avatar was solid.

Looking forward to the next episode!

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Well I just watched the first episode of Buddy Thunderstruck and its at the worst harmless. The storylines are pretty par for the course, and the animation is a cut above the Robot Chicken era, which is nice. Buddy is a lot less obnoxious than the trailer hinted, and his relationship and interplay with his life partner Darnell (the albino ferret mechanic) makes adds a 'fur'sonal element to the mix. With a bit more emphasis on character and some light-hearted absurdist digs at their genre and the fourth wall, Buddy Thunderstruck might be decent.

Now updated with gifs!

Buddy loves everyone in Greasepit, even tourists like that guy!

Who are we kidding, he loves Darnell the most.

The Sheriff sure hates him some Buddy Thunderstruck though!

P.S. Mustelids are super represented in this, too. You've got Darnell, an albino ferret PLUS the reoccurring Mr. Weaselbrat.

Buddy and Darnell about to depart the home of Weaselbrat.

Said Weasel super stoked to have Buddy visit.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 14, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ah I should check that out. Even though the premise kinda bores me

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Ah I should check that out. Even though the premise kinda bores me

I'm going to give it a go. I'll keep my eyes peeled for any kitty cats. :3:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Help

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Go on

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Do you need more gifs? I can do more gifs.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Did we decide this thread was for everything? I mean this with no disrespect but the Thunderstruck show would make more sense in the TV IV kids show thread and they've already got a Samurai Jack thread that's been going on for a while.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A new Dispicable Me 3 trailer is out.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
:yikes:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Jonas Gruture Jr.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That doesn't look bad, except for the loving minions.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It comes across very "we basically couldn't think of anything for another sequel" so they were like uhhhhhhhh twin brother.

What I did like from the trailer was the all the shots of like... really big ridiculous cars and machines and stuff. It looks they had a lot of fun designing that stuff

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

CRINDY posted:

Did we decide this thread was for everything? I mean this with no disrespect but the Thunderstruck show would make more sense in the TV IV kids show thread and they've already got a Samurai Jack thread that's been going on for a while.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think it's ok to give a heads up about tv stuff like "oh hey there's this new animated thing fam" because we're a tight knit group who all share this toon madness :3: but any protracted discussion of non-movie things should happen in other threads

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think it's ok to give a heads up about tv stuff like "oh hey there's this new animated thing fam" because we're a tight knit group who all share this toon madness :3: but any protracted discussion of non-movie things should happen in other threads

Thats on me, I see animation and I think this thread.

Though animation does not necessarily mean 'for kids'.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Larryb posted:

Feels like they've spoilt 50% of the plot at this point.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Fangz posted:

Feels like they've spoilt 50% of the plot at this point.

Welcome to trailers

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm personally fine with a little general animation chat between theatrical releases. If we hit that point where Boss Baby is the only thing available, I'll lock this thread and burn it to the ground.

Perhaps with you all inside.

E:

Larryb posted:

Two things: Did Minions always speak jumble Spanish? And the necessity of two distinct plots that should be enough to carry a film on their own suggests the weakness of both.

Das Boo fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 15, 2017

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I find it fascinating that Open Road and the Weinsteins are really going to throw Spark and Leap! out to die not only in the same month, but two weeks away from each other. Spark is up against Fate of the Furious and Leap! is not only on a weekend with six releases but it's coming out two weeks before Guardians Vol. 2, which means it loses all of its screens if it doesn't perform well. Then again, we're getting close to full animated saturation where there are so many major studios that there's a new studio pic every month or so. Is animation fatigue a possibility for the wider market, do you think?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Larryb posted:

Will the movie end with Gru creating the Gru-mer which causes his twin brother to go bankrupt?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

Will the movie end with Gru creating the Gru-mer which causes his twin brother to go bankrupt?

That sounds really... Grusome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

Two things: Did Minions always speak jumble Spanish? And the necessity of two distinct plots that should be enough to carry a film on their own suggests the weakness of both.

IIRC their gibberish has always been speckled with loanwords from actual languages.

e.

quote:

They mostly speak their own creole-like language called "Minionese", which is partly derived from Bahasa Indonesia, French, English, Italian, Spanish, and Hindi.[2][3] Although seemingly nonsensical, the English-sounding words are dubbed for every country, in order to make them recognizable.