Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

We just switched to ServiceNow from Track-It!, and I'll take ServiceNow any day of the week.
Oh so you were Track-It's other customer! Now it's just us I guess :gbsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I just recently wrote a huge feature to implement Servicenow integration with our tool.

Servernow seemed like a web 2.0-y sharepoint. I liked it, seemed p cool

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Aunt Beth posted:

We use Track-It, too. Other than the loading speed, it seems five. Then again, I haven't used anything else.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

We use Track-It, too. Other than the loading speed, it seems five. Then again, I haven't used anything else.
Maybe our implementation is subpar then. I know it's particularly slow because we never get rid of anything, so have every ticket every created still in the database because Oh God what if someday we need to see how we fixed that Java bug on that Windows 2003 server in 2007 or remember how to solve problems in our old 16-bit W2 tracking system. I'm also not an admin of the system so I don't know what is our customization of the product and what is inherently bad design.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Aunt Beth posted:

Maybe our implementation is subpar then. I know it's particularly slow because we never get rid of anything, so have every ticket every created still in the database because Oh God what if someday we need to see how we fixed that Java bug on that Windows 2003 server in 2007 or remember how to solve problems in our old 16-bit W2 tracking system. I'm also not an admin of the system so I don't know what is our customization of the product and what is inherently bad design.
Our database only goes back 4-5 years, I think; maybe not even that long.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Aunt Beth posted:

For a large database you might just need to throw a faster RAID at it, which for tracking tickets might be hitting too expensive when reducing what is in it would let you do it for thousands less. What if you just archived the data for a just in case.

I haven't used this exact software but I've used a several ticketing systems and people tend to throw them on cheap hardware with no budget every place I've worked.

Is the tickets db small enough you could throw it on a single SSD? Maybe just 2SSDs in RAID1 could do it on the cheap.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

pixaal posted:

Is the tickets db small enough you could throw it on a single SSD? Maybe just 2SSDs in RAID1 could do it on the cheap.
Maybe I could push it over onto flash. It's not on bad disk right now (Netapp FAS, 500GB 15k spinning disk, FlashCache), but I'll see how much room we have on flash. Might help put a Band-Aid on things.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

In our homebrew ticketing system we have never deleted a ticket, somewhere between 1.5-2mil right now, and it works beautifully. It comes up a little short in some areas, but otherwise works well.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MF_James posted:

In our homebrew ticketing system we have never deleted a ticket, somewhere between 1.5-2mil right now.

how much bitching and moaning do you hear when the bossman tries to run reports on that database?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Judge Schnoopy posted:

how much bitching and moaning do you hear when the bossman tries to run reports on that database?

Not much, reports run overnight and are limited in scope, we've had a few times during the day where he forgets to pick a decent date range and it causes the thing to chug for a few minutes.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Welp my server with the RAID10 array made up of hard disks with 8.9 years of power on time finally had its luck run out yesterday..

One disk failed, and while it was rebuilding to the hot spare, the spare failed as well. Was able to swap some new disks in today and get the array back to normal.

Management is finally let me replace the server.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
Had a user call in complaining that he couldn't get to our payroll sites. I check with web services and netops, nothing going awry. I finally work it out of the user that he's working on a cell phone hot spot while in the Californian wilderness and "This connection is slow and annoying!!! Fix this ASAP"

Yeah, let me just phone up the county zoning board and Verizon and get that LTE tower put in this afternoon..

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Aunt Beth posted:

BMC will tell you they can migrate from Track-It to Footprints.

They can't.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

uPen posted:

:) We're moving to a new NAS and we need a print out of every folder on the old NAS
:eng101: Why do you need a print out, what are you using it for?
:) We want to compare the folders on both NAS's to make sure all the data moved over
:eng101: why not have a PC do it? You could run a comparison in a matter of minutes and be done with it
:) No we want to do it by hand, just print out the list.

Sent them their 700 page document, have fun I guess.

Over a month later, they're still using their old failing device because they haven't finished doing whatever it is they're trying to do here. They keep filing tickets to have us reboot/fix the device they're replacing, racking up billable hours when we could do the transfer in 30 minutes? I don't understand people.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

uPen posted:

Over a month later, they're still using their old failing device because they haven't finished doing whatever it is they're trying to do here. They keep filing tickets to have us reboot/fix the device they're replacing, racking up billable hours when we could do the transfer in 30 minutes? I don't understand people.

eh, I had a manager who was aghast we ran scripts to see what books to pull from the shelves and remove from the library collection, it was supposed to be done by hand.
We simply ignored his directive and continued to do it the modern way, leaving us with more time to actually help people.

Some people think that manual labor is the only proper work and everything else is cheating.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
"I've been getting these emails that my password was going to expire, and then that my password had expired, but I don't know what password that's for."
Okay, when did you get the email that your password had expired?
"On Monday...the 6th."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

anthonypants posted:

"I've been getting these emails that my password was going to expire, and then that my password had expired, but I don't know what password that's for."
Okay, when did you get the email that your password had expired?
"On Monday...the 6th."

Also, I haven't been able to log in all loving week why the hell can't you people fix this poo poo?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Also, I haven't been able to log in all loving week why the hell can't you people fix this poo poo?
He's remote and has never used the VPN and says he's been sending/receiving emails just fine?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

anthonypants posted:

He's remote and has never used the VPN and says he's been sending/receiving emails just fine?

Black magic voodoo

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Lord Dudeguy posted:

BMC will tell you they can.

They can't.
Made this more generally applicable.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
BMC is a huge chunk of my daily work. The other half is transitioning to a more usable system.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Some quick org reference: I work for $companyHQ, in the same building as us we have $sub1 and $sub2. $sub1 is large enough to have it's own IT staff but $sub2 is not. $sub2 is physically on $sub1's infrastructure but is supported by us. This is changing, but not soon enough.

Throughout the day we've received tickets from nearly everyone in the $sub2 office stating in some form that firefox no longer works.

The Cause:
$sub1.site1 and $sub1.site2 were having issues with certain versions of Firefox and a certain version of Maximo. As a solution $sub1.home uninstalled Firefox remotely for every computer on their domain. This covers nearly 3000 users spread over 15 sites and $sub2. I don't know if it's an SCCM fat finger or what, but I find it hilarious.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Figure you pro chappies might have a little more experience with these than I. Any take on Cyberpower UPS units for home use? My last APC experience was a freaking nightmare and a half.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Samizdata posted:

Figure you pro chappies might have a little more experience with these than I. Any take on Cyberpower UPS units for home use? My last APC experience was a freaking nightmare and a half.

I've been using them since 2003 and they've been really solid. I think I have 7 or 8 now (lot of PCs/equipment and bad power). Like with any UPS you have to replace the batteries every 3-5 years but they use pretty standard lead acid batteries.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
How bad is Microsoft Teams?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

As far as I can tell, and I spent like a week trying to figure it out, it's just Office 365 Groups as an app but with Skype for Business Persistent Chat built into it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Rexxed posted:

I've been using them since 2003 and they've been really solid. I think I have 7 or 8 now (lot of PCs/equipment and bad power). Like with any UPS you have to replace the batteries every 3-5 years but they use pretty standard lead acid batteries.

Cheers, sir.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Yesterdays emails right when I left the office:

UPS: An automatic voltage regulator (AVR) relay fault exists.
UPS: The power for switched outlet group 1, Outlet Group 1, is now turned off.
UPS: The output power is turned off.

X 100 until I shut the loving emails off

Also:

Critical Alert Message For AMI_MD3200

This is the same UPS that gives this message a couple times a day:

UPS: A site wiring fault exists.
UPS: A site wiring fault no longer exists.

Company electrician GUY THAT KNOWS WIRES is so loving useless.

"Durrr it works whatcha want me to do about it"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I swapped a UPS out at a customer site, going from some old dumb as gently caress APC unit to a double-conversion, LCD screen Eaton model, and the first thing it did was start screaming about how live and neutral were flipped around in the mains.

"Huh, I always thought the power did funny things around here." Turns out the person who wired the circuit was colour blind and didn't think to run a tester over the work once completed.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What the gently caress.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

the person who wired the circuit was colour blind
:catstare:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thanks Ants posted:

"Huh, I always thought the power did funny things around here." Turns out the person who wired the circuit was colour blind and didn't think to run a tester over the work once completed.

Did no-one think to double-check the work, knowing this? :stare:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did no-one think to double-check the work, knowing this? :stare:

How did he not think to double-check it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The answer is because people are loving dumb yet somehow hold down jobs

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
A directive came in.

We're trying to enable port-based authentication so people can't connect outside devices to the LAN, but a good chunk of our phones (Digium) don't have 802.1x pass-through enabled, despite it being supported. Computers connect to the phones which connect to the LAN, so this is obviously a problem. Since we have a Switchvox PBX, the PBX would have to control that functionality on the Digium phones.

No such functionality exists within Switchvox. You simply cannot enable 802.1x pass-through on a Digium phone, despite the functionality existing. Digium says they have submitted a request to their engineering team to add the feature, which means, well, jack poo poo, just like it does when any vendor says it.

So we gave the IT Director four options:

1) Replace the ~30 Digium phones with Polycom ones, which are about $80 each.

2) Install a second drop in each cube (obviously a big expense).

3) Get a new phone system that doesn't suck as much.

4) Undertake the Sisyphean task of arguing with Digium in order to push them to add this functionality to the PBX.

IT Director posted:

I like number 4.

:suicide:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

IT Director posted:

I like number 4.
This checks out.

The support team I am on has to dedicate a person to managing an email inbox, because our system sends a lot of emails out on behalf of our customers that use our software, and we get all the replies.

I'm just a level 1 but I've put some work in researching options to essentially remove the need for this. I provided three options and I got shot down because they would "take effort".

One of the options was to send the emails from donotreply@mycompany.com :ssh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Everything to do with phones loving sucks

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Everything to do with phones loving sucks

Better integrate your phones into your printers, make it an all-in-one-suck solution.

Fake edit: cloud your phonters, too, just to poo poo on all bases.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

We still loving have one of those in storage. I was so confused when I first found it.

I wish we could throw away the old electronics.

• Locked thread