Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

X-O posted:

CBS has ordered directly to series a single camera spinoff of Big Bang Theory called Young Sheldon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

There was a certain point where Duchovny started having more fun with the character and the show becomes far more enjoyable. I can't even pinpoint it, he was suddenly just so much more fun to watch.

I think it's around when they started paying him enough to keep up with his coke habit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

precision posted:

I think it's around when they started paying him enough to keep up with his coke habit.

Possibly!

One of my favorite episodes (it's a little vague) involves Scully badgering Mulder about a weird case and he's like "I don't have time for this, I have to deposit my paycheck!"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Possibly!

One of my favorite episodes (it's a little vague) involves Scully badgering Mulder about a weird case and he's like "I don't have time for this, I have to deposit my paycheck!"

This is the groundhog day episode and it's fantastic

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MacheteZombie posted:

YES! I remember now!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MacheteZombie posted:

I am going to rewatch that episode literally right now.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So I finally got round to watching/finishing The Good Place and people were right, the ending was awesome. Can I get some clarification how it actually aired though? The second last episode goes for an hour and that's were all the crazy poo poo goes down, but then the last episode is back to regular run time and seems like a complete waste of time/anti climax. Did they have some sort of contractual obligation for an extra episode or something? It's completely worthless.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Looten Plunder posted:

So I finally got round to watching/finishing The Good Place and people were right, the ending was awesome. Can I get some clarification how it actually aired though? The second last episode goes for an hour and that's were all the crazy poo poo goes down, but then the last episode is back to regular run time and seems like a complete waste of time/anti climax. Did they have some sort of contractual obligation for an extra episode or something? It's completely worthless.

What are you talking about

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

IRQ posted:

And the most infuriating thing is that they had a perfectly servicable ending all ready to go but decided to go with the bizarre notion that the last 9 years of the show were about him asking his kids if it was ok to bone his ex.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/alternate-how-i-met-your-mother-ending-leaks-20140906

If that was the real ending the show would still be worth watching.

Also the gold standard for a show with a lovely ending is BSG

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

What are you talking about

Nevermind, I'm a complete idiot. Turns out Episode 12 I downloaded was 12 and 13 together, and then episode 13 was just the second half of what I already watched. I thought they were going for a groudhog day thing, but I was literally just watching the same episode

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Looten Plunder posted:

Nevermind, I'm a complete idiot. Turns out Episode 12 I downloaded was 12 and 13 together, and then episode 13 was just the second half of what I already watched. I thought they were going for a groudhog day thing, but I was literally just watching the same episode

That's impressive!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

sbaldrick posted:

My favorite is The Finder. It got canned after the first season (pretty justifiably, I think I was one of about five people who watched it) with one character on the run from a roma criminal gang, two characters disbarred/off the force and facing criminal charges, and the main character in prison with the implication that he'd go completely insane without an outlet for his Finding skills. Intended to be a cliffhanger season finale, it turned into a very downer ending.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

sbaldrick posted:

I'll take BSG's dumbass ending over Lumberjack Dexter any day of the week. I stuck that poo poo out and endured for however many seasons just for the inevitable everyone finding out the truth about him and him either going to prison or dying. Instead we get abandon your son to the Treadmill Sociopath and go chop wood. gently caress you Dexter.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Dexter was hilarious garbage well before the finale​ though. Lumberdex was just more of the same.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Every single arcade cabinet in this episode of X-files is making Sonic The Hedgehog noises and absolutely nothing else.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Struggling my way through Dark Matter season 2, and... Holy poo poo it's Nigel Bennett!

I loved him in Forever Knight.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snak posted:

Struggling my way through Dark Matter season 2
But why?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Because I ran out of The Expanse and Killjoys costs money?

It's not like, abysmal, it's just, kinda lame. It has some good parts. Android is the best character.

Edit: god damnit scifi, figure out how to do sound mixing. If I'm supposed to hear what's on the tv, it doesn't need to be mixed at a realistic level for what it would sound like compared to dialogue. No one talks in the whole scene. It's a scen of a person sitting alone eathcing tv, so that plot info can get dumped by the news on tv. But the tv volume is half the volume of dialogue in other scenes. What the gently caress. Figure it out.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 14, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rhyno posted:

John Barrowman stopped dying his hair and just buzzed it all off in celebration of his 50th birthday and he just looks wrong now.

It makes him look like Neal McDonough.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Timby posted:

Yeah, when it went whole hog with a concept episode, it was great. (Generally, anyway -- the last Slap Bet episode is just all sorts of terrible.) Like you said, the Robin Sparkles one, or when Robin "goes Canadian," or the "Murtaugh list." But, man, when it decided to take a poo poo on itself, like that abominable Band or DJ episode, holy poo poo could it get bad.

It's still fascinating to me how they took that episode where Barney emotionally manipulates Robin into accepting his proposal, complete with creepy-as-gently caress PUA-esque list of steps, and presented it as though it was supposed to be something the audience should be cheering on.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 14, 2017

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, it was just me being an idiot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

hehehe this is incredible

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
why the gently caress were the 80's so goddamned obsessed with satanism?

Like half of the non-spoopy cases have Robert Stack talking about 'Possible Satanic Connections' ffs

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Like half of the non-spoopy cases have Robert Stack talking about 'Possible Satanic Connections' ffs
Lost The Exorcist hosed up a lot of people.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
That doesn't explain why there are a ton of people who look drat weird in the 80's!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Is The Missing any good? I really enjoyed The Fall and S1 of Broadchurch.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

I loved him in Forever Knight.

Great show.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

After watching The Handmaiden, I looked a Tae-ri Kim's imdb credits and learned that there's a Korean remake of Entourage. I've only watched the first episode so far, but I'm pretty sure the 4 main actors and the agent are all even worse actors than Adrian Grenier. If there's a hell, I'm sure they're using this show to torture people with. And it's not just the acting, somehow they managed to take the terrible "plots" in Entourage and make them even worse. It's kind of amazing if you can be entertained by horrible tv.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Trends like that are almost always coming off some big news story.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Man, Patriot was excellent. Biggest laugh was definitely the (Ep 8 spoilers) the three minute long rock paper scissors battle

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ever since I was a kid watching National Lampoon's European Vacation I wondered what British TV really is like. Well I've been given the opportunity and to be honest I feel let down. You guys have commercials that are just as terrible as ours, and you run a lot of syndicated US shows but the biggest thing I noticed is that you're somehow even MORE obsessed with reality TV than America. I didn't know that was possible. Yesterday and More4 seem like your best channels.

Also your gambling call in shows crack me up. We made all of that illegal waaaaay back.

P.S. I may not be getting the best experience since the hours of your stuff I get are basically around midnight - 5:00am your time.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Croatoan posted:

Ever since I was a kid watching National Lampoon's European Vacation I wondered what British TV really is like. Well I've been given the opportunity and to be honest I feel let down. You guys have commercials that are just as terrible as ours, and you run a lot of syndicated US shows but the biggest thing I noticed is that you're somehow even MORE obsessed with reality TV than America. I didn't know that was possible. Yesterday and More4 seem like your best channels.

Also your gambling call in shows crack me up. We made all of that illegal waaaaay back.

P.S. I may not be getting the best experience since the hours of your stuff I get are basically around midnight - 5:00am your time.

Yeah youre going to get lovely TV anywhere that time of day. That said, yes, we have lots of poo poo reality TV - look out for all the ones about benefits scroungers, though, they're super big at the moment and I'm not sure there's a US equivalent.

What were you expecting, exactly, anyway, 24/7 costume dramas which we all sit around watching in highbacked armchairs wearing top hats, smoking jackets and deerstalkers? :shobon:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm pretty sure most American reality TV is originally British anyway. gently caress Mark Burnett for bringing them here.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

feedmegin posted:

Yeah youre going to get lovely TV anywhere that time of day. That said, yes, we have lots of poo poo reality TV - look out for all the ones about benefits scroungers, though, they're super big at the moment and I'm not sure there's a US equivalent.

What were you expecting, exactly, anyway, 24/7 costume dramas which we all sit around watching in highbacked armchairs wearing top hats, smoking jackets and deerstalkers? :shobon:

I was hoping for more hidden gems like Misfits, Utopia, Humans and the like that just hadn't come over yet. I knew that would be unrealistic. Really I expected your own Law and Order type filler. Instead I got plain old Law and Order.

EDIT: Oh and I did catch some show about evicting people. Jesus Christ talk about schadenfreude. That was awful and sad.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Croatoan posted:

I was hoping for more hidden gems like Misfits, Utopia, Humans and the like that just hadn't come over yet. I knew that would be unrealistic. Really I expected your own Law and Order type filler. Instead I got plain old Law and Order.

Well, yeah -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_%26_Order:_UK

:sun:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

raditts posted:

It's still fascinating to me how they took that episode where Barney emotionally manipulates Robin into accepting his proposal, complete with creepy-as-gently caress PUA-esque list of steps, and presented it as though it was supposed to be something the audience should be cheering on.

The worst part is that when Robin realizes how awful and manipulative and basically flat-out evil his scheme was, she freaks out on him and asks how she could ever be expected to trust him or want to be with him when he can be a monster like that -- but then when he breaks out the engagement ring, suddenly everything is OK and her heart melts.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Croatoan posted:

Did we? I remember regularly seeing one of those shows on Game Show Network as recently as late last decade.

feedmegin posted:

If that's what I think it is, over here they call them "welfare queens" and they don't really exist so much as they are a right-wing bogeyman used as a justification for "gently caress the poors." No reality shows though, unless you include "news" reports on Fox News under that umbrella.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 14, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Timby posted:

The worst part is that when Robin realizes how awful and manipulative and basically flat-out evil his scheme was, she freaks out on him and asks how she could ever be expected to trust him or want to be with him when he can be a monster like that -- but then when he breaks out the engagement ring, suddenly everything is OK and her heart melts.

That episode specifically feels like satire. It's too ridiculous to be romantic in anyway, but it's totally played like it is.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MacheteZombie posted:

That episode specifically feels like satire. It's too ridiculous to be romantic in anyway, but it's totally played like it is.

And then a few episodes later Robin finds out that Barney didn't burn the playbook, but kept it and burned a fake one, and when she storms off, he wins her back by basically saying, "Um, you've known me for eight years, all I do is lie. Lying is what I do. But I'm not lying when I say I love you." And then her heart melts again.

Like, come the gently caress on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Timby posted:

And then a few episodes later Robin finds out that Barney didn't burn the playbook, but kept it and burned a fake one, and when she storms off, he wins her back by basically saying, "Um, you've known me for eight years, all I do is lie. Lying is what I do. But I'm not lying when I say I love you." And then her heart melts again.

Like, come the gently caress on.

That was some awful poo poo.

• Locked thread