Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think liking video games is fun and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I can't get over how stumpy their legs look. Maybe it's normal and I just live in a really long legged part of the world?

No one has long legs. Magazine covers Photoshopped to hell and back give the illusion that people with long legs exist but it's not true. Andromeda is showing us the harsh reality.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

One little thing I noticed that was cool, the reload animation for the avenger is different. A little slot pops out to slip a heat sink into. Nice little touch.

Edit: Also the omni-tool looks different and I like the new look.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nomad stream definitely looks like ME:A:DA:I that everyone sane predicted.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Arglebargle III posted:

Very excited that the tightly written and paced missions of ME2 & 3 are finally making way for scanning glyphs in between two minutes of Mako travel. The future has arrived *takes a big bite* ...and it is good.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Arglebargle III posted:

I wonder if the "mass effect is silly and therefore shouldn't be judged" will ever be in tension with the "mass effect is good and you're all just horrible" or the "nothing is objectively good or bad" arguments will ever be in tension. Good to know that they all rely on calling other people autistic tho.

You know, judge away if you like, but at this point I guess I'm in the first camp. I can get high-brow fulfillment from other, better sources than this, so I mainly hope that the likely to be entertaining sci-fi gunplay and action is complemented by a plot that is both popcorn fun and unintentionally hilarious (the romances, being space racist supreme in front of my predominately alien crew in the first game, etc.). I hope the game is decent and everyone finds something they like. I think the codex entries provided some harder explanations for why things worked in the previous games? I liked the one that said that Earth's orbit was so cluttered with 20th century satellite remnants that it was actually dangerous to try to break orbit if your ship didn't have shields.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Lobok posted:

No one has long legs. Magazine covers Photoshopped to hell and back give the illusion that people with long legs exist but it's not true. Andromeda is showing us the harsh reality.

But I have long legs and..

*wakes up with a jolt next to a dead eyed tentacle head*

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I'm laughing at the people getting smug about 'recognizing' that the game structure is what they said it would be.
We've also seen that tighter, narrative missions exist too.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well approximately three hours and a dozen failed solutions later, I found that I can make origin download games and update files again, but only in safe mode with networking. Jeezy Pete.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

The only thing I'm over-hyped for in andromeda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OmW-4F4h30

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Arglebargle III posted:

I wonder if the "mass effect is silly and therefore shouldn't be judged" will ever be in tension with the "mass effect is good and you're all just horrible" or the "nothing is objectively good or bad" arguments will ever be in tension. Good to know that they all rely on calling other people autistic tho.

silly space opera can be awful though and MEA might well be just that for all I know :shrug:

if you seriously get bothered by dumb techobabble then silly space opera is probably just not your thing :)

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Very excited that the tightly written and paced missions of ME2 & 3 are finally making way for scanning glyphs in between two minutes of Mako travel. The future has arrived *takes a big bite* ...and it is good.

Considering 95% of the ME3 missions were: "shoot dudes, cutscene, wait until something happens while shooting dudes, continue shooting guys, the end" I'm not sure what's the complaint.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

FunkMonkey posted:

I liked the one that said that Earth's orbit was so cluttered with 20th century satellite remnants that it was actually dangerous to try to break orbit if your ship didn't have shields.

You probably already knew this but it's true. We're trapping ourselves on Earth with all the junk we're leaving in orbit.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

gmq posted:

Considering 95% of the ME3 missions were: "shoot dudes, cutscene, wait until something happens while shooting dudes, continue shooting guys, the end" I'm not sure what's the complaint.

Mass Effect 2 was insanely loving tightly paced and good for it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

gmq posted:

I guess when you describe something in vague enough terms, anything can mean anything.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

Mass Effect 2 was insanely loving tightly paced and good for it.

Oh yeah, definitely. I never stopped to think "I think this is exactly the same mission as the previous one with different dressing" while playing ME2, I was having too much fun. ME3 failed horribly in that regard.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I don't mind that terribly (it's why God invented Netflix) so long as the action, when it comes, makes up for it. Yes, there was a lot of gormless ingredient hunting and riding in Inquisition, but dragon slaying was a blast and I was always giddy to run across one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

IGN stream appears to be playing from PC, it looks much better than the PS4.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Arglebargle III posted:

Heresy ITT but this is what I was hoping for.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 14, 2017

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I didn't think the gameplay was something anyone would complain about in ME3. Shooting space monsters and space bad guys with space guns was the best part of the game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
People here fetishize ME2 to a really weird degree.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

gmq posted:

ME3's level design was mediocre, no argument there. ME and ME2 had their own objectives in level design and they largely achieved them, but ME3 was very, I don't know, constrained. Feels like in some places they ran out of time and in other places they just wanted to cram as much hallway into as small a box as possible with very aggressive level design tricks.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I wonder if is just a graphical issue or a streaming setup issue- the PS4's built-in encoder is pretty awful, but I'd hope most professional companies would be using capture card/PC to encode it instead.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
GameSpot got their hands on the Character Creator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHvIJLUk2wo

Gonnna need to get a Monster Factory on this Stat!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm playing as a Krogan Engineer and no one can play as that when I'm on your team because I'm going to role play as the last krogan baby that got taught science by humans

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It looks super washed out though, but that's probably the streaming device doing it.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

BexGu posted:

GameSpot got their hands on the Character Creator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHvIJLUk2wo

Gonnna need to get a Monster Factory on this Stat!

Oh right, the other thing I'm really looking forward is lovingly crafting the most freakishly ugly Ryder I can. Some real Igor-level problems. Ideal for smoochin' some blue space babes.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

exquisite tea posted:

I'll say one thing for that other stream - they may have sucked at the game but at least there weren't a couple of annoying dweebs talking over everything.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

It looks super washed out though, but that's probably the streaming device doing it.
I think it's because they have HDR on, which I don't think plays well with streaming.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Did they get rid of sync kills

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Since they have playable me3 characters again I want to guess they'll bring back the reapers to MP at some point if not at the beginning

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

So they finally turned off HDR on that IGN stream and it looks a whole lot better now.

Serf
May 5, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

Since they have playable me3 characters again I want to guess they'll bring back the reapers to MP at some point if not at the beginning

I would not care one bit if they brought in the Reapers, Collectors and Geth as enemy factions even if it makes no sense. It was really fun to fight against them.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe
Going from the Polygon stream to the IGN stream, The combat looks a lot more fun when you're watching someone actually use their abilities.

Imagine that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ages posted:

Going from the Polygon stream to the IGN stream, The combat looks a lot more fun when you're watching someone actually use their abilities.

Imagine that.

why does polygon suck so bad at games?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

why does polygon suck so bad at games?
They really do seem do have hired a number of people who are incapable of doing basic video game stuff. It's definitely harder to talk+play (The IGN guy died a few times because of that), but then you get polygon_doom.wmv and you question how they even complete games.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ein Sexmonster posted:

They really do seem do have hired a number of people who are incapable of doing basic video game stuff. It's definitely harder to talk+play (The IGN guy died a few times because of that), but then you get polygon_doom.wmv and you question how they even complete games.

maybe they are to busy writing lovely thinkpiece stuff to actualy play the stuff. sad because their reviews can be pretty decent. then again gies and kuchera work there.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Zore posted:

Uh I could gently caress an asari and die from it. Game of the decade, pal.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Zore posted:

Wanna gently caress a Volus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OmW-4F4h30