Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
There are vids going up of the 4th map, previous unseen. Also the lack of behemoth on the two Devil's Anvil all infantry maps is solved by putting down 4 sentry boxes so you can be led into hell by a team of badasses. That's a nice twist on an existing theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I played domination for that medal this week. It's pretty hectic and fun. What are the good guns for scout, I'm just starting to play scout and so far the smle feels pretty good.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

I played domination for that medal this week. It's pretty hectic and fun. What are the good guns for scout, I'm just starting to play scout and so far the smle feels pretty good.

smle, 1895 trench, gewehr 95, soon maybe the 1903 experimental

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Blind Rasputin posted:

Any SMLE and Gewher 95

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The first flare I ever fired hit the ground right as someone ran across it and caught them on fire. I didn't even know what was happening.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
flare kills are best kills, someday when I manage to get a good buffer over 1 for my KDR I want to work towards a service star for it

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

The first flare I ever fired hit the ground right as someone ran across it and caught them on fire. I didn't even know what was happening.

i like too yell kobe on xbox party chat and fire it at a wookie in the distance and see if i can hit him in one shot. ive gotten pretty good @ it to

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sYrjuMxbLA

didn't realize it was the same guy till afterward :v:

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Grabbed preium as most of my buddies i play with have it also. I had to buy PSN credit through Amazon as PSN didnt want to accept my paypal OR my bank details. I just wanted to pay them money ffs!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I play the gently caress out of the class I happen to be using. That means when scouting, I normally pop my flares on spawning.

The amount of WTF moments I've had from random flare kills is amazing.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Captain Log posted:

I play the gently caress out of the class I happen to be using. That means when scouting, I normally pop my flares on spawning.

The amount of WTF moments I've had from random flare kills is amazing.

I usually flare myself drat near as often as enemies but I just take it as an extra challenge while playing Scout which I never do unless I'm feeling saucy.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Ol Standard Retard posted:

I usually flare myself drat near as often as enemies but I just take it as an extra challenge while playing Scout which I never do unless I'm feeling saucy.

The gas grenade is my best weapon and I'm very glad it doesn't factor in self kills.

I can't imagine looking at your buddy in a trench, throwing out a bomb, and then running towards it so it can kill you. With 60-90 million killed depending on your favorite historian, it had to have happened more than once.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mellowjournalism posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sYrjuMxbLA

didn't realize it was the same guy till afterward :v:

That's loving legend!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Captain Log posted:

The gas grenade is my best weapon and I'm very glad it doesn't factor in self kills.

I can't imagine looking at your buddy in a trench, throwing out a bomb, and then running towards it so it can kill you. With 60-90 million killed depending on your favorite historian, it had to have happened more than once.

Considering 50 of those were influenza, you were more likely to be killed by hanging out with your buddy and him coughing on or near you so that may have provided some motivation.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Downloading the 7 GB update now.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
New puzzle melee weapons are a bill hook, a saber, and a kukri.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Sounds cool but I think I don't even have half the pieces needed for the original two.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Blind Rasputin posted:

I've tried a number of the scout rifles and always come back to the SMLE with iron sights. It just works for ne.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Played a couple hours of Domination. A couple of initial impressions:

1) The maps are good. Lots of routes, trenches, and flanking opportunities. Fort Vao is not just another Metro/Locker meat grinder.

2) The Chauchat is really good inside it's three hit kill range. Beyond that it's just another machine gun, but if you want to play Support up close and aggressive this is your new gun.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Jay_Zombie posted:

I've tried a number of the scout rifles and always come back to the SMLE with iron sights. It just works for ne.

And if the smelly doesn't click with you, then please do try the Gewehr 96 infantry. I've got 6 service stars in it, and it's the sweet spot for me. Once I get the pro-codex for it, I intend spending more time with the Gewehr 98 too, which took a while to click with me as the recoil means you have to readjust your aim between shots, but what satisfying shots they are.

I've still never gone more than a couple of minutes with a scoped rifle before nopeing the gently caress back to iron sights scout. I really do not understand how people find them fun. I mean, you can't even bayonet charge motherfuckers from 200 metres away. Fools.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The scoped MG15 for Support however is super fun, just turn on a hose of bullets from a near infinite 200 round well and suppress all the pubbies.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Premium pass access is out today. I don't have it but I wonder how that one map with the burning forest came out. If it's as epic as they made it look. The flower map looked good as well. Especially if you can hide in the flowers.

Edit: these unlockable guns are new? That's pretty cool I hope they drop more of these.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 14, 2017

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Been at it a few hours now. Unlocked the lw chauchat, which I'm still figuring out, and the new medic rifle which seems pretty nice.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

got the chauchat in one game of frontlines on rupture, which is probably stil lgoing now because it was over one hour and five minutes running when i left and stalled out in constant fights over the middle point

we got an mcom in 10 minutes then it all went to hell

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The new sniper is pretty fun, same with the medic rifle

the new maps are actually quite fun in operations, although the defenders are pretty heavily favored

new tank owns, the pigeon looks cool but the reality is that if you're surrounded by infantry you're probably not long for this world. The grenade/gas canister launcher one is a ton of fun though

the siege mortar is a blast, especially in ops

in the infantry only operations, instead of a behemoth the game spawns 4 crates with the trench raider, MG sentry, villar sentry, and flamethrower kit, and also a seige mortar in some spots. the crates respawn super fast BUT if you move up a sector the crates stay in the original (now out of bounds) spawn

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I know this is early but I want you to go with your gut.

Is this worth getting? Can you see yourself going back to these in two months?

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Beastie posted:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

This game has more fun in it than titanfal2. I made the mistake of buying both digitally, but I've felt that bf1 has a lot more replay value and I'm glad now to have it digitally for all this cool future crap coming out. Titanfall2 seems like it isn't getting anything new at all?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Blind Rasputin posted:

This game has more fun in it than titanfal2. I made the mistake of buying both digitally, but I've felt that bf1 has a lot more replay value and I'm glad now to have it digitally for all this cool future crap coming out. Titanfall2 seems like it isn't getting anything new at all?

isnt that what happened to TF1?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Beastie posted:

I'm rank 67, have 100 hours in the MP (and the plat, loved the singleplayer stuff). I've just played 5 rounds of Conquest on the new maps and I'm happy as a pig in poo poo with this expansion. I mostly play vanilla Conquest 24/7, with a bit of Operations when I have some friends playing to help me get into a match, which never seems to work on my local Asian servers. Literally all I wanted was more maps to feed into that rotation, and now I've got 14 instead of 10, and a loving awesome new tank, and soon some new guns.

I was a little unsure from videos, as vids never do the maps justice, but even after just one pass I reckon they're as good as the vanilla maps. Right now everyone (well, me at least) is running around like headless chickens chasing down the unlocks for the new guns, but I enjoyed my matches on the new areas.

Soissons: After the initial tank rush (4 per side) it settles down into some good shooting. Really pretty stuff, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rain come in and fill up that stream. From the central C flag, I had some epic moments using my Gewehr 95 at the horde of Germans appearing on the ridgeline by the hilltop flag.

Rupture: Quite similar to the above, except that deeper valley and wider river. The central bridge is quite a feature, being able to fun up the brickwork. And I saw it get blown up, which slows down the tank assaults across it. My god though, lying down in the poppies next to an overgrown and rusted tank... so drat evocative.

Fort Vaux: I was super worried about this one, as I hated Locker/Metro. There are so many flanking routes though, if you are just charging into a grenade-filled chokepoint then you're a loving idiot, I never want to hear you mention it in here. Tons of paths through. And the art direction is amazing. Some rooms half buried, some on fire with smoke billowing to the ceiling, others dripping with water and wet with puddles. You would not think a half ruined WW1 fort could have so much variety and character. It's a fast and furious close quarters map, and I lack the twitch reflexes for that mostly, but also plenty of areas outside to set up some nice tasty ambushes.

Verdun Heights: had some lag, and a bad game due to chasing unlock requirements and changing my mind which one to go for every respawn. Seemed ok, certainly very pretty as the whole thing curls around one hillside. One end on fire, sweeping down into another little village. Without vehicles, and being less fast and furious than Argonne or Fort Vaux, match seemed to go in longer than normal.Will see how it plays out over time.

But yeah, I just wanted more maps for this Good Game, and these are places I am happy to fight over. Beautiful and interesting places. Still got the operations and Frontlines to check out, but I have no regrets about this purchase. I was always going to be an easy lay for this DLC though, so take that as you will.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So is the new expansion like BF4 where you can only play They Shall Not Pass maps on specifically They Shall Not Pass servers? I hated the fracturing that caused in BF4.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So is the new expansion like BF4 where you can only play They Shall Not Pass maps on specifically They Shall Not Pass servers? I hated the fracturing that caused in BF4.

of course! $$$$

Although there isn't much option the other way to go would be to... kick out all non-expansion users when a new map loads in a rotation? That'd be equally if not as infuriating.

but $$$$ because gamers are drat near the most reliable consumer whores in existence.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I still wish they'd just make these maps a timed exclusive. I'm happy to pay to play right the gently caress now, but in 6 months time they should just be folded into the vanilla game for everyone. I trade money for 6 months of fun when the player count is highest, and then later on everyone gets to play which means more dudes to shoot as people pick up the game for $10 or whatever.

They have sorta kinda done that with the last games, giving out the DLC way down the line, but it still needed to be redeemed in that little freebie window and wasn't exactly planned out.

Anyway, here's a close-ish look at the Behmoth while I blast Germans coming over the ridge:

https://twitter.com/hongkonghermit/status/841738404014444544

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Beastie posted:

I'm a wait a month and ask this question again. Wildlands can tide me over until then.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

of course! $$$$

Although there isn't much option the other way to go would be to... kick out all non-expansion users when a new map loads in a rotation? That'd be equally if not as infuriating.

but $$$$ because gamers are drat near the most reliable consumer whores in existence.

Allow admins to set a dlc server option that includes dlc and vanilla maps. But you can't join, even if it's on a vanilla map, unless you have the dlc. Not ideal but better than the current way.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

FastestGunAlive posted:

Allow admins to set a dlc server option that includes dlc and vanilla maps. But you can't join, even if it's on a vanilla map, unless you have the dlc. Not ideal but better than the current way.

It doesn't solve the player base fracturing problem which is what anybody would give a poo poo about. I mean, currently I imagine the community is big enough that you wouldn't struggle to fill a server regardless of expansion / vanilla, but that was what T was concerned with.

It's a pretty intractable issue though, unless this:

Parkingtigers posted:

I still wish they'd just make these maps a timed exclusive. I'm happy to pay to play right the gently caress now, but in 6 months time they should just be folded into the vanilla game for everyone. I trade money for 6 months of fun when the player count is highest, and then later on everyone gets to play which means more dudes to shoot as people pick up the game for $10 or whatever.

They have sorta kinda done that with the last games, giving out the DLC way down the line, but it still needed to be redeemed in that little freebie window and wasn't exactly planned out.

is done more quickly with a lower pricetag on the early access nonsense.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Parkingtigers posted:

Anyway, here's a close-ish look at the Behmoth while I blast Germans coming over the ridge:

https://twitter.com/hongkonghermit/status/841738404014444544

The eventually did make all the map packs free in BF4 for a limited amount of time each. Didn't fix the problem though because of the way the servers worked.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Hopefully it changes in the future, but right now it is what it is. This game has sold a gazillion copies so we shouldn't have any issues for quite some time, touch wood.

Sales model aside, I really do loving love these new maps though. Single best small thing about the new DLC is the St Chamond having a second forward firing gun. Driver gets the AT cannon of the heavy tank, and a passenger gets to hose down infantry that the driver is looking at, without being stuck peering out of the side hoping someone walks in front of their gun. I see loads of one-occupant heavy tanks, I reckon that second seat in the assault tank will be filled more often than not.

Also, the pigeon arty strike is a great time to spam a cheeky repair as you are locked out of moving during the barrage cutscene anyway.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

It doesn't solve the player base fracturing problem which is what anybody would give a poo poo about. I mean, currently I imagine the community is big enough that you wouldn't struggle to fill a server regardless of expansion / vanilla, but that was what T was concerned with.

It's a pretty intractable issue though, unless this:

is done more quickly with a lower pricetag on the early access nonsense.

Yes it does not solve the splitting issue hence why I offer it as not ideal but better than nothing. The second option is definitely most ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

the st chamond is a loving monster