Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Pham Nuwen posted:

Marmalade, motherfucker!

And if you mess it up, it'll ferment anyways! :pseudo:

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's more a case of "What the hell am I going to do with all of these oranges" rather then "I want tasty orangey drunk".

But seriously, you could probably make a good batch of Arancello (which is just orange limoncello)! It's as easy as zesting and mixing with clear spirits, then straining and cutting with simple syrup. It will be different than limoncello, but it will definitely highlight whatever particular aromas/flavors are in your oranges. Then just squeeze the zested oranges that are left over into juice.

If you've got a lot of lemons you can obviously make limoncello, but another good option to consider (if you're a foody type) is making preserved lemons by slicing and packing them with salt and spices. You can find a ton of recipes/ideas on the internet.

e: I may have to brew that recipe I whipped up now, however...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Hubis posted:

e: I may have to brew that recipe I whipped up now, however...

Sounds good, aside from the Sorachi Ace. That hop in any appreciable quantities just ruins beer for me. I don't know what it is, but it just has the worst taste (IMO).

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Here are my tomato starts:

Do they look OK so far? They're going to go 2 to a bucket eventually.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Neon Noodle posted:

Here are my tomato starts:

Do they look OK so far? They're going to go 2 to a bucket eventually.

Pretty leggy. They need more light.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I was able to get a fluorescent fixture and a pack of bulbs for $15 at Walmart a month ago and it has been great for my seedlings. I just propped it on stacks of books right over the pots.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

extravadanza posted:

Sounds good, aside from the Sorachi Ace. That hop in any appreciable quantities just ruins beer for me. I don't know what it is, but it just has the worst taste (IMO).

I threw it in for the lemony kick, to be honest. If I weren't feeling too experimental I'd probably just stick with the Citra. I agree it's something best used in moderation at best -- I've always wanted to try it in something like a saison, though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cpt.Wacky posted:

And a fan. It will fatten them up. I leave an oscillating fan on in the greenhouse whenever I've got seeds starting.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, fans make for stronger plants and also reduce the chance of mold.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Suspect Bucket posted:

CANADIAN GEESE ATE ALL MY CORN STARTS loving gently caress
corn... starts? as in you sprouted them and then planted them? :psyduck: You are aware that certain types of plant respond better to direct-seeding, right?

But yeah geese love nothing so much as corn fields. There's a reason goose hunters like them - no need to throw out bait, just slap up a couple decoys and cover yourself up and wait until some live ones come to join the party!

Neon Noodle posted:

kill them all :black101:
Canada Geese numbers have gone WAY WAY down though. When I used to goose hunt as a teen, they would literally fill the sky, it felt like loving Apocalypse Now when they'd come flying in to land while you were lying there in the mud under some burlap and corn stalks. Thousands of them. Nowdays if you see a flock of 100 it's a big deal. A lot have become non-migratory as well, living in city parks and eating bread fucks up the growth of their feathers so they can't really fly anymore anyway.

It's sad, but I don't like the meat so I don't miss hunting them, I just miss having that couple of weeks every year when the sky would get dark just from the geese.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Long story longer, just curious what (if any) fruits are naturally basic so as to maybe possibly neutralize the acid in citrus fruit for probably never going to happen experiments in citrus-based alcohol brewing? Cant sleep and got curious about why citrus cider cant be a thing.

Also, Florida's going to get a late freeze. So here's hoping my pea and tomato starts live.
Orange Juice will ferment on its own if you leave it out. There's been cases of schoolkids being suspended because some teacher did a sniff-check on an old mostly-empty bottle bottle of OJ in their locker or something, and it had turned alcoholic so the kid gets in trouble for bringing booze to school.

I've also seen hefeweizen which are infused with orange - you don't need to ring the pint glass with a lemon, because the orange is a perfect compliment.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I love bamboo aesthetically and as a material for making things, but I'll pay $1/stake if it means I don't have a bamboo infestation in my yard :v:
Since it's a grass, bamboo can't re-sprout once severed from the root bulb, unlike filbert, willow, and other woody plants, etc.. I used a bunch of filbert spears as stakes a few years ago and they literally started to grow after a few days so I had to get rid of them and use something else. :D

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 14, 2017

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Kjermzs posted:

Oh wow, I'm going to build some soon and I'm scrapping my idea and stealing yours. Did you use a guide to build those? What are those blocks called and what are the dimensions of that wood and it's type?

It's snowed the last 2 days in Nebraska :(

I feel ya, it rained every weekend for 6 weeks in a row here in California. I couldn't do anything in my yard and was starting to get stir-crazy.

The blocks are from HomeDepot and are called "Oldcastle Tan Brown Planter Wall Block", they allow you to slide 2x6 lumber in, no screws, no nails needed. The blocks have a hole for a piece of rebar to stabilize it. That allowed me to tie string to the rebar and make sure all the raised beds were lined up.

I then used my garden hoe and level to make sure the boards were flat and even.

All of the wood is 2 in. x 6 in. x 8 ft. Hem-Fir Brown Stain Ground Contact Pressure-Treated Lumber. That way I could just cut in half the sides, no waste. I did my research and pressure-treated lumber can't be used on organic farms, but is perfectly safe for home gardens. I stacked everything 2x high, to make the raised beds 12" tall. The slots on the cement blocks that the lumber fit into are a tiny bit less than 2", so if you use unfinished lumber, you are going to have to shave off the ends of each piece to fit it in.

The cement blocks are $3 and the wood was about $8, a little more than what I wanted to spend. But my wife was complaining that my garden was making our backyard look trashy. Everything can be dissembled and taken with us if we decide to move.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Could someone recommend a way to remove fungus? I put a celery stalk base into a pot, (over)watered it, and now it's growing some nasty mold on the outer, older branches. On the inside it's grown a few inches, but I'm concerned that this nasty stuff will kill it. Goggling around yields a lot of hocus-pocus bullshit results.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

ROFLburger posted:

Could someone recommend a way to remove fungus? I put a celery stalk base into a pot, (over)watered it, and now it's growing some nasty mold on the outer, older branches. On the inside it's grown a few inches, but I'm concerned that this nasty stuff will kill it. Goggling around yields a lot of hocus-pocus bullshit results.

Once it starts it's hard to stop, you need to prevent the conditions that allow it to start in the first place, moist still air. Use a fan and don't over water.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
throw it out. spend 60 cents on another bunch of celery, try again after a good cleaning of the container with vinegar or soap and water.

Also fwiw, green onions from the store last pretty well if you just poke them into a glass of water -as long as they have a little bit of root structure left.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

coyo7e posted:

throw it out. spend 60 cents on another bunch of celery, try again after a good cleaning of the container with vinegar or soap and water.

Also fwiw, green onions from the store last pretty well if you just poke them into a glass of water -as long as they have a little bit of root structure left.

I've had green onions in a pot outside and they've lasted through 2 winters and just. Don't. Die. I'm in zone 6, btw.

It rules, and I never have to buy green onions ever again.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Hop shoots are coming up

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

ROFLburger posted:

I've had good luck manually scrubbing the mold off with soap and water, maybe spraying it with some neem oil, and keeping it in a well lit, ventilated place for a few days of careful attention. This has worked about half the time for me, but the other half the mold gives no fucks and keeps coming back.

Light and air flow are really the two best things you can give it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've heard hydrogen peroxide mentioned as a solution for mold, I can't remember what dilution you're supposed to use though.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Schmeichy posted:

Hop shoots are coming up

'sup humulus lupulus bro? :cool:

How old is that planting? This will be the third year for the two Centennial's I have got, and the warm spell already has them shooting up as well!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've heard hydrogen peroxide mentioned as a solution for mold, I can't remember what dilution you're supposed to use though.

This works kinda, at least it did with some mushrooms I was growing. Increasing airflow helps too.

E: I just eyeballed it and poured some n in a spray bottle with some water.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My spinach, lettuce, and peas are all popping up. The shallots have not appeared at all, even though I planted them the same day (about a month ago) as my garlic, which is going nuts the next row over. I planted carrots and arugula two days ago.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Hubis posted:

'sup humulus lupulus bro? :cool:

How old is that planting? This will be the third year for the two Centennial's I have got, and the warm spell already has them shooting up as well!

They've been in the ground for about 2 months! I planted cascade, centennial, and crystal, and it looks like all three are coming up.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Schmeichy posted:

They've been in the ground for about 2 months! I planted cascade, centennial, and crystal, and it looks like all three are coming up.

Nice! I think first year I got something in the neighborhood of 0.75 lbs/plant, and last year I pulled off at around 1.5 lbs/plant with probably another 0.5-1 lb drying on the bines because of a combination of a hot-dry september and me getting too busy to harvest them in a timely manner.

Where are you, regionally? That's a pretty solid mix, I should try some Cascade. I actually originally planted Centennial in one pot and Nugget in the other, but none of the Nugget came up for some strange reason so I managed to transplant one of the Centennial rhizomes over (and actually split off a second one which I gave to a buddy).

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Hubis posted:

Nice! I think first year I got something in the neighborhood of 0.75 lbs/plant, and last year I pulled off at around 1.5 lbs/plant with probably another 0.5-1 lb drying on the bines because of a combination of a hot-dry september and me getting too busy to harvest them in a timely manner.

Where are you, regionally? That's a pretty solid mix, I should try some Cascade. I actually originally planted Centennial in one pot and Nugget in the other, but none of the Nugget came up for some strange reason so I managed to transplant one of the Centennial rhizomes over (and actually split off a second one which I gave to a buddy).

Western Washington. I'm expecting them to grow like weeds in this climate, any hop problems I should be aware of?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Schmeichy posted:

Western Washington. I'm expecting them to grow like weeds in this climate, any hop problems I should be aware of?

Oh man, you are in the golden land -- I imagine you should be fine. I'm in coastal midatlantic so you've got to baby them a little more, as few varieties particularly like "hot and humid".

As far as problems, the only one to be aware of that jumps to mind is Downy/Powdery mildew. Once they get established you can prune the leaves off the lower 1-3 feet to improve air circulation. For the first year though you just basically let them go wild as the most important thing is making sure they establish a good root system. They're also nitrogen consuming monsters -- I'm not sure it's possible to over-fertilize them.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Lettuce big.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Nice! But why harvest the entire thing? That's a hell of a big salad

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cold snap. Plus, it keeps for about a week attached to the root without ill effects, in our experience.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Thats what brian boitano (would) do.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Raised beds update.

Compost time!
$10 a cubic yard from Napa, organic certified, so I got two truck loads today.

I'm going to be eating nothing but lettuce soon, I started way too much:

Filling them up!

(Please ignore the weeds, that is the next project.)

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Raised beds update.

Compost time!
$10 a cubic yard from Napa, organic certified, so I got two truck loads today.

I'm going to be eating nothing but lettuce soon, I started way too much:

What the hell, $10/yard is ridiculous. Great deal. The best I can find around us is $33 and I don't think that is even organic.

Is the rack the lettuce is on from a green house?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Falco posted:

What the hell, $10/yard is ridiculous. Great deal. The best I can find around us is $33 and I don't think that is even organic.

Is the rack the lettuce is on from a green house?

Does the company that collects your garbage cans also pick up green waste containers? That is where I get my compost.

The lettuce just sat outside, covered with clear plastic most nights. The rack is from an old bakery, the kind of shelves they have in walk-in cold storage :-D

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Good call, we do and it's $34/us. Apparently I'm living in the wrong area.

Nice work on the lettuce. We are building up our raised beds and I plan to use pvc for hoops and cover it in plastic to extend our season a bit.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My small-medium city has free compost at the dump. It's bring-your-own-shovel and most assuredly not organic, but hey how can you be sure the green bin stuff is organic?

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
If you're wondering if city compost has herbicide, grow a bunch of beans in a sample and see how they germinate or if they come up all twisty and mutatoed.
If you're wondering about weeds just throw some compost under a light and see what happens.
Nice raised beds! I like those cornerstone pieces, hadn't seen that before.
We are allegedly getting over the freezing mark today. gently caress yeah!!

I've started 200 peppers, some parsley and oregano. Kale is scheduled this week. We are going to be selling our produce at a farmer's market as a first this year.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sir Bedevere posted:

I've started 200 peppers, some parsley and oregano. Kale is scheduled this week. We are going to be selling our produce at a farmer's market as a first this year.

How much land do you have under cultivation in order to be able to sell things at a farmer's market? I imagine you'd need quite a bit to have any sort of reasonable quantity.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Sir Bedevere posted:

If you're wondering if city compost has herbicide, grow a bunch of beans in a sample and see how they germinate or if they come up all twisty and mutatoed.
If you're wondering about weeds just throw some compost under a light and see what happens.

That's a fine way to test if stuff grows in it but doesn't really address the safety issue.

Municipal compost often contains sewage sludge, the material left over from treating sewage water. Many areas also have a combined sewer and storm water system. Between the cleaning products and medications that people flush down the toilet and all the potential run off from streets like gas, diesel, oil, hydraulic fluid, antifreeze, etc. I wouldn't recommend using compost made with sewage sludge at all. There is an argument to be made for using it on fruit trees and perennials but it really shouldn't ever come into contact with stuff you eat like annual veggies in your garden.

Municipalities have a problem disposing of sewage sludge and try to rid of some of it through composting with yard waste, which may also have things sprayed on it. They attempt to spin the sewage sludge as a good thing by calling it biosolids, calling the finished product something nice like Garden Glory, and claiming it has been fully tested and gets an A+ rating. All that is required for that is the minimum federal standards around pathogens like e coli, salmonella and fecal coliform.

If you want to read more about what is actually in sewage sludge then check out the EPA's national​ targeted sewage sludge surveys: https://www.epa.gov/biosolids/sewage-sludge-surveys

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
I have a ton of uncertainty about how all of this will work out. Uncertain about how much I'll be able to plant into the mound. I only have about 350 sq ft ready to plant in at the moment.
I'm going to be grabbing a lot of compost and doing containers on the deck/front yard. Also trying to establish a lasagna style garden, my goal is to have room for 2000 tomato plants over the next 3 years.
We have 35 acres we can plant in, we were very lucky to end up here. Our landlord at the last place we lived were building on the lot and we had 3 months left until a friend of a friend was suddenly moving to Germany and bought it privately for a good price.
Planning for planting lots of berry bushes and fruit trees.

Curtis Stone is a YouTube farmer who makes 1/3rd an acre work very well for himself.

Cpt. Wacky I had no idea about adding sewage to compost!

Sir Bedevere fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 19, 2017

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Municipal compost often contains sewage sludge

And compost you get in other places has sewer sludge from animals, also known as animal manure. poo poo and piss from horses, cows, chickens. Who are injected with hormones and fed massive amounts of antibiotics.
Nothing is perfect. :cry:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I get my compost from a bin of worms that hangs out on my porch. They eat my scraps and my paper bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fozzy The Bear posted:

And compost you get in other places has sewer sludge from animals, also known as animal manure. poo poo and piss from horses, cows, chickens. Who are injected with hormones and fed massive amounts of antibiotics.
Nothing is perfect. :cry:

It isn't the human (or animal) waste content that is the problem. The issue is all the other stuff that goes down drains both in houses and from commercial/industrial users. There are multiple treatment plants in my city. Some I wouldn't have any qualms at all about using compost derived from them, but I would not like to use the one which gets the wastewater stream from the semiconductor fabrication plants.