Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Any reason to keep fish or can I sell all dat poo poo?

It's useful as yet another method of suicide. Otherwise, I think it's just to be sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
God drat this game is a trip.

It made me cry.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Trick Question posted:

Minor Spoilers: Since these androids obviously aren't emotionless by default, it's probably an attempt to prevent them from forming interpersonal relationships as well.

If "emotions are prohibited" is an actual rule for YoRHa units, it's not one that's strictly, if ever, enforced by the Commander. It's a rule the Commander breaks (she wants 9S and 2B to live even though they're disposable and she's good mates with Jackass). It's more of a mantra and code for 2B to live by so that 9S doesn't grow attached to her and so that her killing him is less painful. She's just protecting herself.

And yeah, sell fish, just eat a Mackerel once.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I started playing yesterday and the Operator told me about what I guess is fast travel between save points, and that it wasn't ready yet. Should I rush the main story until I get it? Related, is there a point of no return for side quests?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The Flooded City ends sidequests.

I'm pretty sure Emotions are prohibited for Combat Units only, apparently the Operators have relationships and can date each other.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

I started playing yesterday and the Operator told me about what I guess is fast travel between save points, and that it wasn't ready yet. Should I rush the main story until I get it? Related, is there a point of no return for side quests?

If you absolutely want to minimize dead time you can definitely wait on sidequests until you get fast travel.

There is, as far as I know, only one thing in the game that can be permanently missed and it's an obscure optional postgame issue. Sidequests do get locked due to story progression, but you'll get opportunities to do them eventually (although eventually might be quite a long time).

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Captain Baal posted:

Finished the game and I have some stuff to say. Assume any spoiler tags are endgame related even though some aren't.

So, first playthrough of the game I was very mixed on the game. I liked pretty two bosses (Beauvoir and Adam) the rest were not particularly engaging to me or giant setpieces that were while neat, also felt like they were overstaying their welcome. The actual gameplay was fun and fluid and felt really good, the chipsets hit that OCD part of my brain that loves skill organization in the same way RE4 inventory organization hit, and the music is fantastic. The story didn't draw me in a ton, there were some key moments that I was really interested (Pretty much anything to do with the Twins and Pascal). Overall I wasn't sure how I felt too much on the first playthrough, it was a weird feeling to me because I was super excited for the game and it wasn't pulling me in.

Second playthrough comes and I'm disliking the game now. I already didn't care for 9S on the first playthrough and an entire run of seeing the same poo poo from their perspective wasn't selling me. Doesn't help I genuinely don't like the hacking minigame, it was a fun novelty when it barely showed up and now it's aggressively a main mechanic. The game changes up very little except now my main method of attack are really bad feeling normal attacks and a hacking minigame that never changes itself and gets stale quickly. I tried to get done with it as fast as I could. I finish my second playthrough and generally feel pretty unfulfilled, but I know how these games are and something in the third playthrough could turn the game on its head. I liked the new cutscenes for the twins fwiw.

Lo and behold, I start the third playthrough sour with a really bad boss fight in the desert, but it gets better as it progresses and the pacing of stuff happening gets better and PASCAL TAKES OVER A loving ENGALS HOLY poo poo and the game's dwelling on its own internal philosophy finally heads somewhere interesting for me. Pod is getting more dialogue and getting to be a character with a stake in the story. 9S is now actually having character conflicts and genuinely compelling scenes as you watch his world be torn apart around him and how much it destroys him and the entire final sequence from Devola and Popola showing up to the final fight is amazing. I think the alternating bosses is a bit long in the tooth, but the dual boss and final boss afterwards make up very well for it. The endings all feel really good and Ending E is loving awesome as you see the inspiring words of people who gave their save data to help you out. It is a genuinely compelling ending that brought me around hard into loving the game and being fine with giving up my save data for other people.

So yeah, game's good. I wouldn't say it's Platinum's best, but MGR is my favorite platinum game and I feel that's a high bar.

I am quoting this old post because it is nearly exactly how I feel having just completed ending E. To add to this though, I have to say that I really feel like Automata's cast is incredibly weak compared to Nier 1. Absolutely nobody is as interesting as Dad Nier, Emil and Kaine. 9S ends up being solid eventually but it's almost too little too late. I would still call this game excellent though.

Ending E spoilers: So, I deleted my save, but I still had saves uploaded to psn that weren't deleted. A little old, predating finishing route C but whatever. Is there any reason I should start completely over instead of just hopping back into that save?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Just got Ending A. Goddamn. I can already see where this might be going, and I'm all in.

Also the end bit with the Factory was probably my favorite part of the game along with the Castle. It's me, I'm the 2D platforming loving scum.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
During the beginning sequence where 9S is calibrating your sound and brightness, there's that point where he asks you to turn on the self destruct option. I tried to leave it off, he had several lines about how I had to turn it on, to the point where he repeated himself. Although, after turning it on you can immediately turn it back off and he says he guess he won't tell anyone or whatever. Does that affect the story at all at any point? It's not actually the black box thing is it?

Was just curious about that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Failboattootoot posted:

I am quoting this old post because it is nearly exactly how I feel having just completed ending E. To add to this though, I have to say that I really feel like Automata's cast is incredibly weak compared to Nier 1. Absolutely nobody is as interesting as Dad Nier, Emil and Kaine. 9S ends up being solid eventually but it's almost too little too late. I would still call this game excellent though.

Ending E spoilers: So, I deleted my save, but I still had saves uploaded to psn that weren't deleted. A little old, predating finishing route C but whatever. Is there any reason I should start completely over instead of just hopping back into that save?

Some sidequest dialogue takes new light in retrospect, and they can't be replayed so if you want to re-experience it, a new save is better.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Do you guys have any idea how the PC port might come out? I'm worried my 1050gtx won't run it well, although a canirunit? website said I was a good bit over minimum, and a bit under recommended. I think the only newer games I've really played on it are Shadow of Mordor which ran on high really well, but I heard it was optimized incredibly well. Also GTA5 which I think is on high and runs 55-65fps at 1080p. I'm guessing I'll be fine, maybe no high settings but I'm okay with that.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Route B done and this is a very good game

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

katkillad2 posted:

During the beginning sequence where 9S is calibrating your sound and brightness, there's that point where he asks you to turn on the self destruct option. I tried to leave it off, he had several lines about how I had to turn it on, to the point where he repeated himself. Although, after turning it on you can immediately turn it back off and he says he guess he won't tell anyone or whatever. Does that affect the story at all at any point? It's not actually the black box thing is it?

Was just curious about that.

Self-destruct is purely a gameplay function, you can hold R3+L3 for a few seconds to explode, leaving you at 1 HP and dealing damage to everyone around you. I think disabling it is for people with wonky gamepad so they wouldn't kill themselves on accident

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Do you guys have any idea how the PC port might come out? I'm worried my 1050gtx won't run it well, although a canirunit? website said I was a good bit over minimum, and a bit under recommended. I think the only newer games I've really played on it are Shadow of Mordor which ran on high really well, but I heard it was optimized incredibly well. Also GTA5 which I think is on high and runs 55-65fps at 1080p. I'm guessing I'll be fine, maybe no high settings but I'm okay with that.

It'll be fine. Sadly I realized I read the specs list wrong and my PC is too old for it. You can always refund it via Steam if it fails to work well.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

dasmause posted:

Self-destruct is purely a gameplay function, you can hold R3+L3 for a few seconds to explode, leaving you at 1 HP and dealing damage to everyone around you. I think disabling it is for people with wonky gamepad so they wouldn't kill themselves on accident

Though you'd be surprised what happens if you self-destruct in the right places...

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Are the earrings and chokers good for anything except selling? What about the rare machine cores you get off tougher enemies?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Only a few more days left before I can finally find out what you guys have been spoilering so hard about. I'm not sure how I'd handle waiting half a year for this game. Probably like a normal adult, but it'd still suck somewhat.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

dasmause posted:

I was really, really, REALLY hoping you'd get a bad ending for doing it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Fat Samurai posted:

I was really, really, REALLY hoping you'd get a bad ending for doing it.

You should experiment with it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RanKizama posted:

Are the earrings and chokers good for anything except selling? What about the rare machine cores you get off tougher enemies?

Sell them, but if you have no urgent need for money, might be worth hoarding the machine cores because the money you get for them goes up the later you get into the game.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/_ruenis/status/841581682998239232

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

If you absolutely want to minimize dead time you can definitely wait on sidequests until you get fast travel.

There is, as far as I know, only one thing in the game that can be permanently missed and it's an obscure optional postgame issue. Sidequests do get locked due to story progression, but you'll get opportunities to do them eventually (although eventually might be quite a long time).

What can be missed?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

fadam posted:

What can be missed?

Really curious about this too. Also just curious if there's a list of postgame/secret stuff you can find somewhere. I've done Emil's house and boss fight, and the robot rabbit at the carnival and I know about the giant Emil heads in the desert when you upgrade all the weapons. Is there anything else?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

fadam posted:

What can be missed?

When fighting the optional superboss in the desert he has a countdown to a self destruct that leads to ending Y if you don't beat him fast enough. If you don't die to that there's no way to get that ending after he's beaten.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

fadam posted:

What can be missed?

Bugblatter posted:

Really curious about this too. Also just curious if there's a list of postgame/secret stuff you can find somewhere. I've done Emil's house and boss fight, and the robot rabbit at the carnival and I know about the giant Emil heads in the desert when you upgrade all the weapons. Is there anything else?

Ending Y

If you defeat the bonus Emil boss (all weapons upgraded to level 4) without letting him explode at the end of the fight, the quest will complete and because you can't complete it again, there's no way to get Ending Y.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Fast Travel unlocked in the first run made me laugh even though I messed it up. Got to the quest that opened it up, then decided to do sidequests and explore and stuff. There was a lot of hoofing about with me bitching about not having fast travel. Then I finished the quest.

Also I love that you can take a moose to the desert.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Sell them, but if you have no urgent need for money, might be worth hoarding the machine cores because the money you get for them goes up the later you get into the game.
Gotcha. I keep thinking that there will be some DLC add-on later that has you trade in this poo poo for costumes or accessories so I've been hoarding them. >_>

McDragon posted:

Fast Travel unlocked in the first run made me laugh even though I messed it up. Got to the quest that opened it up, then decided to do sidequests and explore and stuff. There was a lot of hoofing about with me bitching about not having fast travel. Then I finished the quest.
Same. I was getting super salty about all the running back and forth to the desert and other places for Juan Paul. Then unlocked fast travel and just got even more mad.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Is there a chip that increases hacking damage or does it count as ranged damage?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

McDragon posted:

Also I love that you can take a moose to the desert.

Wait, you can ride the animals? :psyboom:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 14, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Wait, you can ride the animals? :psyboom:

You can totally drift a hog.
https://gfycat.com/OpulentSardonicIsopod

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I went in and got Ending E. Just...wow. This game has been amazing.

I think I'm absolutely going to 100% this game before I replay the final ending and delete my save. This game is worth it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Time to start Route C before work because yeah that's a good idea

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
This poo poo makes me mad.

https://twitter.com/chadsapieha/status/840330240941522944
How do you play 1/5th of a game, claim its incomplete, then rate it a 50? How?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Yoko Taro wasn't lying about the lack of autosave. Don't start anything main-quest related if you have somewhere to be in the next...hour or so.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

RanKizama posted:

This poo poo makes me mad.

https://twitter.com/chadsapieha/status/840330240941522944
How do you play 1/5th of a game, claim its incomplete, then rate it a 50? How?

haha, wow, that guy does this for a living!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Well of course, you could that in Nier, too. How the hell do you ride them? Is it some special trick with bait?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

you need to buy the satchel from the merchent in the shop or leave bait for them.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Fuzz posted:

Well of course, you could that in Nier, too. How the hell do you ride them? Is it some special trick with bait?
Buy/Equip the Satchel, drop bait near an animal, when they start eating walk up and press O. Enjoy the ride for a few kilometers for trophy.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The satchet keeps them from running away, then the bait let's you ride them.

There's upgrades to the satchet, too, a quest chain in the forest gives you one that makes animals approach you and not need bait to be ridden, and the investment quest gives you one that makes animals spawn waiting at each save and town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Are there any announced plans for releasing the soundtrack for this game? Cause I need this game's soundtrack on hand to just listen whenever.