Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also Route B-C question after finishing Route A I never saw a dead android again so I couldn't revive or restore and just had to do everything myself which is fine, but I'm kinda curious if I was supposed to be able to see others during those two paths or if that mechanic was Route A only.

Check your network settings in the menu. Game has a habit of dropping you off it every now and again and just flashes up a message that only shows for a couple seconds, then never attempts to reconnect again without you manually changing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Trick Question posted:

The secret boss, (padding) Emil (padding) , is giving me a lot of trouble. Any advice for chip setups? Do hacking chips help on the dude? Should I just powergrind to max level somehow?

I did him at 65 by a) approaching him when I could have an ally set to aggressive with me, b) loading up on defensive chips, c) dodge countering for what felt like ten minutes straight.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Why are there chips that are the same level but different in points? Like I have a shockwave that's 5 and 10 but the same level

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Evil Canadian posted:

Question about the chapter 3 character
with a2 you can hold dash and she glows red for a second. I feel like I should be able to do a move or something with that but if you can I can't figure it out.

*ed*

Of course I figure it out right after I post, I was hitting buttons too early.

*double ed*

Or maybe not, I was using weapon set im not used to they just seem like basic attacks, I duno :shrug:

her dash does damage in berserk mode but mostly it's just a nod to the cool off screen dash attack she had when you fought her

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

queeb posted:

Why are there chips that are the same level but different in points? Like I have a shockwave that's 5 and 10 but the same level

Because. Now sell that useless 10 because you've got something better, and if you find another shockwave with a low cost, fuse them together to make one that's even better and still costs less than usual.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Crappy Jack posted:

Because. Now sell that useless 10 because you've got something better, and if you find another shockwave with a low cost, fuse them together to make one that's even better and still costs less than usual.

This.

Emil's chips are high level but you can usually make better ones yourself that use way fewer slots. Get a drop rate chip and start rolling with it, you will suddenly get millions of chip drops even with a +20 our 30% drop increase and will literally never have to worry about money ever again.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Oh my god, did I seriously just destroy a bunch of players save data?! by getting hit in the final shump section for ending E?

They gave up their 30 hour save files so I could finish the game.

It's genius to have other players data save you in the end to understand how important it is to give up yours.

Taro does it again.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Zinkraptor posted:

I guess I have an unpopular opinion, because I thought combat using 9s, even if ( especially if) you didn't use hacking, was great. His small sword move set feels great and it seems like he's got some of the best counter-attacks in the games - which is important since you're always dodging in automata. 2B and A2 tend to knock enemies super far away in their counters (or in the case of 2B's sword counter, launch herself into the air for no reason while the enemy remains stapled to the ground). People complain about him only having one button, but he still has light and heavy attacks (though admittedly the input for heavy attacks is kinda weird) as well as charge moves and dash attacks. Really, my main issue with 9s was that the game kept trying to get me to hack when I just wanted to hit things with him

If so, we're unpopular opinion buddies because I felt the same way, although I personally really loved hacking during battles and using the more-easily hacked small bots as bombs to hurt the larger ones. He felt like the Nero to 2B's Dante, with the more limited moveset but more options within that moveset. Liked A2 more than either of the others, though.

Hackan Slash posted:

Even more unpopular opinion alert, I didn't think any of the combat was good. Too much came down to mashing R2, especially once you started getting overclock chips. I'm a filthy casual who played on normal, but I can't see how the lackluster changes for hard mode would have made things more fun

Also, not having easy access to attacks that don't move you forward was a real pain against anything electric.

I agree that hard mode isn't great, but mashing R2 definitely isn't the way to go if you want to end combat quickly & stylishly. The counters are really safe moves, but they don't actually do that much damage compared to the rest of your moveset.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
!Final route spoilers!
Why did the machine AI represent itself as a pair of girls? I thought it was a Manah thing but the colors are all wrong.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Monomythian posted:

Oh my god, did I seriously just destroy a bunch of players save data?! by getting hit in the final shump section for ending E?

They gave up their 30 hour save files so I could finish the game.

It's genius to have other players data save you in the end to understand how important it is to give up yours.

Taro does it again.

It's basically the best credits sequence since Undertale

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I got my copy of the World Guide today, I don't know how different it is from the Black Box art book but it's loaded with beautiful art, enemy/location rundowns etc, plus the two bonus short stories I'll translate sometime soon.

In the meantime, I thought you all might be interested in the official heights and weights of the Automata cast:
2B = 5'6 (including heels) 328lb
9S = 5'2 286lb
6O/21O = 5'5 (including heels) 319lb
Commander = 5'8 (including headdress) 368lb
Pods = 2'5 79lb
Anemone = 5'8 354lb
Devola = 5'8 350lb
Popola = 5'8 357lb
Pascal = 8'2 793lb
A2 = 5'6 (including heels) 306lb
Emil = Varies
Adam/Eve = 6'2 502lb

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Well, time to wait a day for this to download. Thank god my buddy Weiss is coming along for the trip. I hope that jerk has something to say to me!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wonder if there's going to be a pre-load for PC.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

dazat posted:

Devola = 5'8 350lb
Popola = 5'8 357lb

Popola needs to get off her fat rear end. :downsrim:

Clearly it's all the hard alcohol and friendly workouts that Devola is pounding out to maintain her figure.

Or maybe their hair is made of uranium.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Okay I beat Ending C, went back and got Ending D, but then (final ending spoilers?) the pods started talking and I'm going into Ending E??? I kinda just quit out of there kinda worried on if it was anything like Ending D from the origional. Is it safe to go in and do that ending, or should I go ahead and do all the other stuff I missed? Cause I do wanna go back and finish all the sidequests and get all the weapons and what not.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

XavierGenisi posted:

Okay I beat Ending C, went back and got Ending D, but then (final ending spoilers?) the pods started talking and I'm going into Ending E??? I kinda just quit out of there kinda worried on if it was anything like Ending D from the origional. Is it safe to go in and do that ending, or should I go ahead and do all the other stuff I missed? Cause I do wanna go back and finish all the sidequests and get all the weapons and what not.

It is impossible to get screwed over.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

dazat posted:

I got my copy of the World Guide today, I don't know how different it is from the Black Box art book but it's loaded with beautiful art, enemy/location rundowns etc, plus the two bonus short stories I'll translate sometime soon.

In the meantime, I thought you all might be interested in the official heights and weights of the Automata cast:
9S = 5'2 286lb
Pods = 2'5 79lb
Anemone = 5'8 354lb
Devola = 5'8 350lb
Popola = 5'8 357lb
Pascal = 8'2 793lb
Emil = Varies
Adam/Eve = 6'2 502lb

(clears throat, approaches podium in professional manner, speaking in deep tone of voice) Thicker.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I have now died twice to the part in the intro stage where you're flying your Gradius ship, and the game disables your controls while the camera switches perspectives but the bullet hell bullets dont disappear and I plow right into them during the cutscene.

This game is lucky I already know it's good because this would be enough to make me stop playing right here and now if I have to replay this six minute scene one more time

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

try hitting that square button

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

dazat posted:

The Black Box artbook is just "Character image picture, name, and a quote from them". A select few background pieces, and a single page on weapon art of about six or so weapons.

dazat posted:

Devola = 5'8 350lb
Popola = 5'8 357lb

The world guide, like Popola to Devola, is meatier it seems. (And yay, more awesome stories!)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I have now died twice to the part in the intro stage where you're flying your Gradius ship, and the game disables your controls while the camera switches perspectives but the bullet hell bullets dont disappear and I plow right into them during the cutscene.

This game is lucky I already know it's good because this would be enough to make me stop playing right here and now if I have to replay this six minute scene one more time

There's a weird inconsistency during the scripted segments of the shmup bits. Sometimes you'll be invincible during the parts where you lose control, sometimes you won't. No issue on Normal, but on Hard or Very Hard it becomes good practice to try and clear the screen of projectiles, just in case the camera is about to pull you into them.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 14, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Dang I wish the game wasn't so stingy with upgrade parts for the pods, I was able to finally get one of the pods to level 4 (the laser one) in post game and it gets this cool attack where it shoots a bunch of energy balls that ricochet all over the place

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well credits are rolling on ending A. Holyfuckwhattagame. Need to get that soundtrack but I think I have to do all the routes first.

I like that Square Enix felt the need to tell me I wasn't done.

Last boss ruled. The difficulty tanked once I got a level four gently caress off axe and the bomb program and three pods but it's drat fun all the same.

Also I like that every infinite robot gauntlet was nothing of the sort. You just gotta kill a lot.

And the machines. Wonderful. Very Black Mage.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, started B. He did loving record futzing with the settings. God drat I pissed around a lot.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

OH MY GOD 9S FIST BUMPS THE POD

E: poo poo, sorry for triple post, I assumed thread was faster than this

McDragon fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 14, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Guys, you clearly aren't cool and with the 'in' crowd, because me? I just call him Nines. :smugbert:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Also I was wondering when boss names got translated and I guess it's at the start of B. Interesting naming conventions for a gang of killer robots.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I ate a fish.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

dazat posted:

9S = 5'2 286lb
Pods = 2'5 79lb
Anemone = 5'8 354lb
Devola = 5'8 350lb
Popola = 5'8 357lb
Pascal = 8'2 793lb
Emil = Varies
Adam/Eve = 6'2 502lb

Thanks, I'll look forward to your TL. Do you think they'll release a Design Works for Nier:A? Typically I ignore game guides because I can't read it.

Nines is slightly taller than me :3:

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Going through the Factory over and over for side quests is the worst

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

XavierGenisi posted:

Do you believe games are a waste of time?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is it ever explained:

What the deal is with the eye/mouth masks the YoRHa androids wear?
The significance of the name YoRHa?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fadam posted:

Is it ever explained:

They are blinded by their orders, their devotion to their mission.

Notice A2 never covers her eyes. The other main characters remove them for moments of personal sorrow or anger or stress, character moments where their very identities are on the line.

It could also play to a motif that justice is blind, which sort of fits the very righteous rhetoric of the YoRHa mission.

It's symbolic, in other words. I have no idea wht YoRHa is, except a possible careful nod towards Yonah from Nier 1.

EDIT: Ha ha, in fact (major spoilers) Both YoRHa and Yonah contract a fatal disease!

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

They are blinded by their orders, their devotion to their mission.

Notice A2 never covers her eyes. The other main characters remove them for moments of personal sorrow or anger or stress, character moments where their very identities are on the line.

It could also play to a motif that justice is blind, which sort of fits the very righteous rhetoric of the YoRHa mission.

It's symbolic, in other words. I have no idea wht YoRHa is, except a possible careful nod towards Yonah from Nier 1.

EDIT: Ha ha, in fact (major spoilers) Both YoRHa and Yonah contract a fatal disease!

Minor Spoilers: Since these androids obviously aren't emotionless by default, it's probably an attempt to prevent them from forming interpersonal relationships as well.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

fadam posted:

Is it ever explained:

It works as goggles for the HUD and headset for the operators. A2 doesn't wear one since she is deserter and not connected to the network. You find out that YoRha is the name of the little girl from the library with the illness.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

spoilers for everything it's weird that [Top Secret] Black Box and [Top Secret] YoRHa Disposal both have a "Project 03-01" section that say same thing with minor differences in wording but 9S doesn't react to it until he gets the latter in the tower. Seems like a mistake.

it's also weird that Possessed by Disease w/o the chanting never plays once in the whole game especially considering it's the best track? be great for that last trip up the tower when you're flipping between the two bosses. there's an 8-bit version you never hear either.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 14, 2017

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Love this loving game, here's my catgirl from ff14 dressed up as 2B

A Wastrel
Jan 17, 2010

lets hang out posted:

spoilers for everything it's weird that [Top Secret] Black Box and [Top Secret] YoRHa Disposal both have a "Project 03-01" section that say same thing with minor differences in wording but 9S doesn't react to it until he gets the latter in the tower. Seems like a mistake.

That's been hanging me up for a few days. I legitimately think that it's a continuity error.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

^^^ He also misses a really obvious clue about 2B's true purpose and identity during one hacking section. Or maybe he does catch it and represses it, as A2 implies.

Trick Question posted:

Minor Spoilers: Since these androids obviously aren't emotionless by default, it's probably an attempt to prevent them from forming interpersonal relationships as well.

I'm pretty sure that rule was emphasized largely for 9S, due to 2B not wanting him to grow attached to her before she had to kill him yet again. Other androids don't seem to care about following or enforcing it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Any reason to keep fish or can I sell all dat poo poo?