Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

precision posted:

I'm starting to think the Games industry doesn't make sense. As far as I'm aware, no publishers have even tried "buy our console game digitally and save tenbux" even though that should theoretically save them money later by having one less used copy out in the wild.

:yooge: : You're devaluing the IP and by extension our brand by putting out our products for cheap like this, Jim. I'm afraid we're gonna have to let you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

No one sells digital games cheaper because physical retailers would lose their loving minds about it and publishers are big cowards.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

retail is still major part of sales and if say microsoft wanted to charge less for digital games, stores like target could retaliate in ways that could hurt physical sales.

their used game collection monthly fee thing seems to be a move against gamestop's used market survival strategy though

Serf
May 5, 2011

Man, between Prey and the fact that they're making a System Shock 3 I am pretty happy about the future of space horror RPGs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i tried out the 360 castlevania may cry game today. forget the name but i know its the original 2 disc one, not the sequel. seemed pretty cool, is it well regarded?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

i tried out the 360 castlevania may cry game today. forget the name but i know its the original 2 disc one, not the sequel. seemed pretty cool, is it well regarded?

The reception was overall lukewarm (I personally thought it was awful)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Serf posted:

Man, between Prey and the fact that they're making a System Shock 3 I am pretty happy about the future of space horror RPGs.

enemies that can disguise themselves as coffee cups and chairs is pretty nuts, as well as being able to become a cup. Arkane is a fantastic developer.

Real hurthling! posted:

if this is Lords of Shadow then I think the first was regarded ok, but certain open world or stealth segments in the second one tanked it. It's a shame since they legit tried to reboot Castlevania with an adequate God of War feel and a beautiful engine but that kind of game was so incredibly widespread in everything from Dante's Inferno to Metatron. I wish Konami would have sold Castlevania to Nintendo or Sega.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I sincerely wish that Gamestop would just literally disappear. The only physical retailer we ever go to, aside from the co-op grocery store, is Costco. Well, that and weed dispensaries and liquor stores. You know, the important stuff. And if there weren't 12 dispensaries in walking distance I could get weed delivered anyway.

edit: I know this post makes me sound like an incredibly insufferable California hipster, but in fairness, I probably am one. My wife isn't though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

It's the best selling Castlevania game in the series.

It's way too long and opens on some of the worst bits, and the gameplay doesn't hold up on higher difficulties (i.e. you see the cracks) but it's hardly the worst game with that name on it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Don't grab the DLC though, it is probably the worst thing with the Castlevania name on it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The new 3DS Fire Emblem coming out is a remake of Fire Emblem 2? Ugh good luck with that, it can't be worse than the remake of 1 anyway.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

mutata posted:

The Constructor HD remake comes out next month but that's more of a town-builder/strategy hybrid thing.

Yeah it doesn't really look like my kinda thing, but there's a game coming out sometime in the summer (sometime in "Q2 2017") called Kingdoms & Castles that looks fun. Very minimalist, but just building little farms and castle walls and making a happy little medieval island and getting attacked by vikings sometimes. Like Anno but with more raids and less byzantine supply chains, I think.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alright, games huh? Well in order to wind down after finishing BOTW I just played through Severed which I got on PS+ this month. It was a game I'd vaguely wanted to play but wasn't sure if I'd like it so it wasn't high on my list to purchase. I'm really glad I finally played it though because it was excellent. I'd highly recommend it if anyone hasn't played it. It was also a fun and not too difficult platinum just for doing all the things the game had to offer which is my favorite kind.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lets hang out posted:

No one sells digital games cheaper because physical retailers would lose their loving minds about it and publishers are big cowards.

I don't think publishers mind folks paying $60 for digital games, or that they would get enough additional sales from offering games substantially cheaper to offset the discount. The best we'd see would be something like those 5% preorder discounts we see on some steam games.

These companies make lots of money lol.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

precision posted:

The new 3DS Fire Emblem coming out is a remake of Fire Emblem 2? Ugh good luck with that, it can't be worse than the remake of 1 anyway.

If it performs well it could open up new opportunities for its "Weird mechanic sequel" brethren like Castlevania 2, Final Fantasy 2 and all the others to get official remakes.

A remake of Simon's Quest where there actually exists a Graveyard Duck.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well we did already get FF2 in playable/fun form with Dawn of Souls.

And to be fair, FE2 is actually really fun so as long as they don't actively make it worse like the remake of 1 we're good

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Wow Die Hard Arcade and Mercs are like 25 minutes long.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Red Bones posted:

I want to play a simcity/builder game where I look after a little town, what are some good games for that that aren't cities: skylines?

I actually started playing a bit of Tropico 5 after skipping 4. Seems pretty neat and easy to work with! I think I got it free from PS+ and it's surprisingly intuitive to play a city builder on a console

Edit: Also for people wondering about looking at your time played on PS4 games that don't surface the clock, it is usually visible when you go to save/load your game. I know people were talking about their Nioh playtimes and I was wondering where they were finding those numbers

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 14, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I said come in! posted:

That was my favorite co-op game on SNES.

I'd wager it was most people's.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lurdiak posted:

I'd wager it was most people's.

My friend here would like to have a word with you

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Mr. moneybags over here.

Granted that poo poo is on PSN now but you'd be lucky to have an SNES Natsume game outside of rentals back in the day.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Horse Steppin from Hotline Miami is a real good chill song.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I was always partial to Pocky and Rocky...

and Legend of the Mystical Ninja

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Phantasium posted:

Mr. moneybags over here.

Granted that poo poo is on PSN now but you'd be lucky to have an SNES Natsume game outside of rentals back in the day.

Ahh, the days when there was still a reason to go to Family Video. I miss those days sometimes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Legend of the Mystical Ninja

It is equal parts baffling and infuriating that the 3DS VC of this game doesn't allow two-player via download play (or any other method, for that matter).
Are there any homebrew emulators on 3DS that allow multiplayer across devices like that? Because that would probably be the one thing that makes me go to the trouble of installing the homebrew stuff.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CJacobs posted:

That game owned so hard. The remake being PS4 exclusive has me on the tipping point for getting a PS4.

FirstAidKite posted:

Horse Steppin from Hotline Miami is a real good chill song.

It is! The title track for Hotline Miami 2 is also very chill. Both are very "calm before the storm" considering the gameplay of both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-olf3xtixU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I actually started playing a bit of Tropico 5 after skipping 4. Seems pretty neat and easy to work with! I think I got it free from PS+ and it's surprisingly intuitive to play a city builder on a console

Tropico 5 is okay, but when I played it I felt like there wasn't a lot of meat to it. The core systems are pretty easy to handle and it never really goes beyond them, so I played it for a little while, did the campaign and a whole run outside the campaign and I was sorta done with the game after that. It's fun to play for that couple of run throughs though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Tropico 5 is okay, but when I played it I felt like there wasn't a lot of meat to it. The core systems are pretty easy to handle and it never really goes beyond them, so I played it for a little while, did the campaign and a whole run outside the campaign and I was sorta done with the game after that. It's fun to play for that couple of run throughs though.

I am at the point where that is certainly enough for me, especially for a PS+ game. I remember that micromanaging rents vs. wages in 1 and 3 was such a pain and it looks like they've done away with that?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hotline Miami 1 & 2 ae the only game soundtracks I listen to in the real world!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am at the point where that is certainly enough for me, especially for a PS+ game. I remember that micromanaging rents vs. wages in 1 and 3 was such a pain and it looks like they've done away with that?

Yeah you just choose to insert more money into a building to get happier workers and more/better output, I think. It's not a very interesting system. It's the only Tropico game I've played though so I can't speak for how it differs from the older rents and wages thing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I never said that but as kids we would say 'gypped' and people still say gypped today and actually "Gypsy curse" is still a joke I hear in podcasts and stuff, which I think is unfortunate

My mother was literally cursed by a Gypsy once, it ok for me to use this phrase

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Yeah you just choose to insert more money into a building to get happier workers and more/better output, I think. It's not a very interesting system. It's the only Tropico game I've played though so I can't speak for how it differs from the older rents and wages thing.

In the older games they tracked the relative wealth of your social classes, US/Capitalists wanted a pyramidal system where your most educated citizens got paid way more whereas the USSR/Communists wanted you to have a flatter structure. You had to juggle things so that your poorest workers could still afford both food and housing, and I think you had to also earmark domestic food production otherwise they would starve.

Jay Rust posted:

Hotline Miami 1 & 2 ae the only game soundtracks I listen to in the real world!

I have a 100 to 1 ratio for listening to the No Man's Sky soundtrack versus playing the actual game (which I played for 90 minutes a couple days ago and got bored).

I have also looped the Max Payne 3 soundtrack and the Splinter Cell Chaos Theory soundtrack dozens of times each

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

an actual dog posted:

I don't think publishers mind folks paying $60 for digital games, or that they would get enough additional sales from offering games substantially cheaper to offset the discount. The best we'd see would be something like those 5% preorder discounts we see on some steam games.

These companies make lots of money lol.

They have to. Sure, the suits make a lot of money but remember that publishers and developers aren't retail. They can't sell their product at a slim profit margin because they have to reinvest most of the money they make into their next product(s), and even smaller projects can get very expensive. Two years of development with a staff of 4 full time and a bunch of contractors is a 2 million dollar project (estimating very conservatively) :ohdear:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

im sad because the spongebob creator was diagnosed with ALS. its so fuckin poo poo. everyone take care of yourselves :(

also I finished the fall in stardew valley. I got to five hearts with Maru. i guess all the crops die in winter but i made some seed makers so we'll see what happens

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

umm, according to that ui, neither do you

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

First impressions of Mass Effect Andromeda are... the story has some potentially interesting hooks and they've worked on developing both the combat and progression systems?

...I think I may be cautiously optimistic?

oddium posted:

this is me sitting in front of my ps4 patiently waiting for persona 5

https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/798996017265934340

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

The White Dragon posted:

umm, according to that ui, neither do you

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I dunno about kotaku but previews might as well be mandated to be blandly positive 99% of the time so I'd wait for it to get in people's hands.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just found out that that new Blaster Master is dirt cheap so I'm downloading it now and watching the snow pile up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

First impressions of Mass Effect Andromeda are... the story has some potentially interesting hooks and they've worked on developing both the combat and progression systems?

...I think I may be cautiously optimistic?

I'm not going to watch it cuz spoilers but I would be very happy if the game turned out to not be garbage. The wonky animations and poo poo has never really bugged me; they're actually charming and silly in a very video games way. It's the news that the team had a ton of turn-over and went through development hell that has me worried.

• Locked thread