Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Anyone who calls Batman an insane libertarian is a moron
Why is that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

cis autodrag posted:

Yeah, in a modern context vampires seem to be super effeminate and sexually aggressive so I think they're usually a metaphor for viral homosexuality or something. I blame Anne Rice.

"True Blood" is kinda weird and funny in this regard because on the surface it's trying to do a sympathetic vampires-as-persecuted-gays thing except that its vampires are with few exceptions a bunch of assholes who are to varying degrees in on this vast conspiracy to prey on and control and even convert regular natural humans soooo it ends up being about the homophobe's most lurid fever dream of the gay agenda.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Because then they might get punched by Batman.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

What else would you call him?

not an insane libertarian

that's up there with "actually batman just beats up poor and crazy people" in terms of hot takes that just make you look dumb

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I like the Grant Morrison Batman Inc type stuff where he tries to wrest the concept of the corporation away from Thiel types and harness it for the good of humanity.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

not an insane libertarian

that's up there with "actually batman just beats up poor and crazy people" in terms of hot takes that just make you look dumb

I mean, he doesn't just do that, but he undeniably kicks the poo poo out of poor and crazy people.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Who What Now posted:

What else would you call him?

Batman.

Or Bruce... :swoon:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think Mrs. Rice has any problem with gay people. Her son is gay and the persecution of homosexuals in Christianity is part of why she left the church IIRC.

I meant more in terms of her starting the whole "vampires as super homoerotic" thing. Other people ran with it in a terrible direction.

GunnerJ posted:

"True Blood" is kinda weird and funny in this regard because on the surface it's trying to do a sympathetic vampires-as-persecuted-gays thing except that its vampires are with few exceptions a bunch of assholes who are to varying degrees in on this vast conspiracy to prey on and control and even convert regular natural humans soooo it ends up being about the homophobe's most lurid fever dream of the gay agenda.

One day soon getting vamped in TV and movies is going to turn vampire guys androgynous to the point of looking like women and it's all going to become a metaphor for trans people and bathroom attacks or something.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
like for starters batman actually does good things like start approximately a million charities and foundations and programs to help people get a leg up because he is aware that to completely eradicate crime you need to eradicate the conditions that lead people to it

which is like the least libertarian thing possible

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

I mean, he doesn't just do that, but he undeniably kicks the poo poo out of poor and crazy people.

he also takes the crazy people to an asylum for treatment instead of locking them in prison

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

he also takes the crazy people to an asylum for treatment instead of locking them in prison

Sometimes, and only the super villains. The regular thugs go to prison. The ones that aren't sent to an emergency room, anyway.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

cis autodrag posted:

I meant more in terms of her starting the whole "vampires as super homoerotic" thing. Other people ran with it in a terrible direction.

Is she the one that started vampires as homoerotic? I've never seen it before then, based on the amount of times that they're shown as trying to chow down on a young maiden and make her his eternal bride/slave. The fact that they're usually effeminate or whatever is probably a holdover from the stereotype of the frilly nobleman who is physically weak and pale from not having to work outdoors.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The fact that Batman still operates sort-of within the confines of the law as an enforcer, and not judge, jury and executioner makes him way better than any Rorschach-loving libertarian.

He's also competent at what he does.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

mojo1701a posted:

Is she the one that started vampires as homoerotic? I've never seen it before then, based on the amount of times that they're shown as trying to chow down on a young maiden and make her his eternal bride/slave. The fact that they're usually effeminate or whatever is probably a holdover from the stereotype of the frilly nobleman who is physically weak and pale from not having to work outdoors.
He's also competent at what he does.

It's not so much that she stated anything like that, but iirc the major vampire protagonists in her books are dudes and all tend to have really loving strong erotic subtexts to their interactions. So it was homoerotic by default?

There are other kinds of threatening sexuality to be sure. Like my knowledge of the whole Twilight thing is second hand but its vampirism, as it confronts the main character, seems to be a metaphor for anxiety about losing one's virginity? (eta: Also I'm pretty sure Edward acts like a mega creeplord stalker/super possessive boyfriend so there's that.)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

mojo1701a posted:

Anne Rice was, several decades ago, very big on weird sex ideas. There was a lot of homo-eroticism in her work but her vampires tended to just be hypersexualized creatures in general.

She never lets you forget they are evil, bloodthristy bastards though and that being a vampire is really, really lovely. That's one thing a lot of her copycats missed.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

mojo1701a posted:

No. Carmilla, the very first vampire novel back in the 1870's was about a lesbian vampire.

it's been a thing since the start.

GunnerJ posted:

It's not so much that she stated anything like that, but iirc the major vampire protagonists in her books are dudes and all tend to have really loving strong erotic subtexts to their interactions. So it was homoerotic by default?

There are other kinds of threatening sexuality to be sure. Like my knowledge of the whole Twilight thing is second hand but its vampirism, as it confronts the main character, seems to be a metaphor for anxiety about losing one's virginity? (eta: Also I'm pretty sure Edward acts like a mega creeplord stalker/super possessive boyfriend so there's that.)

Supposedly Edward acts like the Ideal Mormon Boyfriend.

That idea kinda creeps me out.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 14, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

Sometimes, and only the super villains. The regular thugs go to prison. The ones that aren't sent to an emergency room, anyway.

only sometimes

there was a comic like, two years ago? three? i think it was part of batman eternal which was mostly garbage but he beats up a dude in the process of stopping the dude from doing a crime and then realizes that he knows this dude's kid so he tells the guy to show up at wayne truking tomorrow and ask for a job, which he'll get, and then he better keep that job and stop being a deadbeat dad or batman's gonna gently caress his day up

the dude has since turned his life around

granted its mostly because he doesn't want to get beaten up by batman but whatever

also realtalk every time someone drops the UH HE HURTS PEOPLE canard my soul dies a little bit because jesus christ could you seriously be regurgitating any older woke rear end comic ideas

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
unless you're straight up doing a story about the moral ramifications of superheros (there's a lot of good punisher and daredevil stories (like, with the two of them) that do this) nobody gives a poo poo about Nameless Joker Thug #16 gonig to the ER because batman punched him in the face and shattered his orbital bone in the process of stopping the joker from i dunno turning all the airbags in gotham into exploding whoopie cushions because its not the point of the story and acting like this sudden deep revelation totally changes the story and makes you superior for figuring it out is just some ten years ago poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
now if we want to talk about nathan edmondson's run on Punisher and how that was absolutely horrifying becausae he just used it as a platform to hate minorities that's totally different

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The point is that superheroes can't really be said to be good people. Especially someone like Batman who leaves thousands of people permanently crippled because he turned their legs into wet sacks of meat and bone shards.

Debating the merits of superhero comics is dumber than being a libertarian, though, so ignore me.

Edit: I'm not claiming to be superior. In fact by the very fact of having an opinion on comics I'm inferior to everybody.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

The point is that superheroes can't really be said to be good people. Especially someone like Batman who leaves thousands of people permanently crippled because he turned their legs into wet sacks of meat and bone shards.

holy poo poo this is so woke

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

like for starters batman actually does good things like start approximately a million charities and foundations and programs to help people get a leg up because he is aware that to completely eradicate crime you need to eradicate the conditions that lead people to it

which is like the least libertarian thing possible
Let me help: There is no such thing as a Platonic Ideal of an ur-Batman that remains the same in every story. Batman is a different character in different stories.

Batman in BvS is a neoliberal billionaire who is, incidentally, psychotic. That's not a "hot take" it's what an adult who knows how to read fiction sees when they watch that movie.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

One might even say "woke af".

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Just post the Chris Sims rebuttal and move on already jesus

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

One might even say "woke af".

please dont try to roll with these punches

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't wanna say "u mad" but if you're making triple-posts defending a fictionally vigilante you might want to take a step back for a second.

Edit: i'm not actually being serious about this, so IDK how I can roll with the punches.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Lord posted:

Just post the Chris Sims rebuttal and move on already jesus

i really hate that general argument against superheros because again unless you're doing a story like, say, season 2 of daredevil, which is explicitly about the morality of vigilantism, it doesn't fuckin matter. it's fantasy. you could easily handwave it away as batman knows the best kung fu and thus dispatches them with the barest minimum of force necessary, because the ramifications of batman doing kung fu on people don't actually matter

going "superheroes can't be good people" is just fuckin retarded, i'm sorry

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

I don't wanna say "u mad" but if you're making triple-posts defending a fictionally vigilante you might want to take a step back for a second.

Edit: i'm not actually being serious about this, so IDK how I can roll with the punches.

comics and writing about comics are literally the Thing I Do All The Time its an occupational hazard

also "The point is that superheroes can't really be said to be good people" is loving retarded, like my dude have you ever even heard of superman or captain america or spider-man or or or or or

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If I knew a throwaway joke would lead to this I wouldn't have made it. I'm sorry, everybody.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is there a thread in the Comics section for analyzing the potential political messages of a series?

Because I'm wondering if JMS' Supreme Power has any deep meaning. It's one of the first comic books I ever read and it holds a special place in my heart. I love Superman deconstruction pieces.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I liked the one where Superman lands in Ukraine instead of Kansas

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Goon Danton posted:

Red Son is very good and Superman was clearly the hero.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Who What Now posted:

If I knew a throwaway joke would lead to this I wouldn't have made it. I'm sorry, everybody.

No worries. I literally PMed Discendo Vox about you saying Batman was a Libertarian and said i was in "the biggest fight in D&D" with you. Then when you weren't serious, I breathed out a sigh of relief.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Goon Danton posted:

red son owns but isnt as good as Speeding Bullet which is the Elseworlds where he's adopted by the waynes and when they get shot he vaporizes the mugger with heat vision

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Debate & Discussion › Libertarians: I beat up criminals for pleasure and to reassure myself in my worth

no, wait

Debate & Discussion › Libertarians: I build new Iron Man suits for pleasure and to reassure myself in my worth

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mojo1701a posted:

I wouldn't phrase it as she started it, even in mass media. I'd phrase it as she was the first to get extremely rich on it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Discendo Vox posted:

Debate & Discussion › Libertarians: I beat up criminals for pleasure and to reassure myself in my worth

no, wait

Debate & Discussion › Libertarians: I build new Iron Man suits for pleasure and to reassure myself in my worth

yeah if anyone is a libertarian it's tony but even he's just a big doofus

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

WrenP-Complete posted:

No worries. I literally PMed Discendo Vox about you saying Batman was a Libertarian and said i was in "the biggest fight in D&D" with you. Then when you weren't serious, I breathed out a sigh of relief.

There are some series that you can say Batman is an ideal Libertarian Übermensch and I was mostly just taking the piss out of those specific interpretations. Those are usually very, very bad depictions of him, though.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

i really hate that general argument against superheros because again unless you're doing a story like, say, season 2 of daredevil, which is explicitly about the morality of vigilantism, it doesn't fuckin matter. it's fantasy. you could easily handwave it away as batman knows the best kung fu and thus dispatches them with the barest minimum of force necessary, because the ramifications of batman doing kung fu on people don't actually matter

going "superheroes can't be good people" is just fuckin retarded, i'm sorry

I hear you but most people who go "Batman kneecaps the poor" are either joking, don't like the character or superheroes in general anyway, are examining politics in entertainment or some combination of these so it has zero impact on you anyway.

Sims' rebuttal is phrased better than your posts anyway. http://comicsalliance.com/ask-chris-250-misinformation-about-batman/ Bonus response to "Why doesn't he just cap the Joker?"

NikkolasKing posted:

Is there a thread in the Comics section for analyzing the potential political messages of a series?

Because I'm wondering if JMS' Supreme Power has any deep meaning. It's one of the first comic books I ever read and it holds a special place in my heart. I love Superman deconstruction pieces.

I implore you to go to BSS, post this and then get back to me on what the response is.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Is this the place to post about the Elseworld Jewish Batman who fought to save the works of the greatest advocate of freedom and equality in the history of the world, Ludwig von Mises?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Is this the place to post about the Elseworld Jewish Batman who fought to save the works of the greatest advocate of freedom and equality in the history of the world, Ludwig von Mises?

Paul Pope sure can draw but boy is he a loving rear end in a top hat.