Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

How do hospitals work? Should I be building one in each county I control? Does an in-upgraded hospital help at all? The upgrade costs are super steep and the benefits don't seem that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Hospital's main jobs are preventing the spread of epidemics and reducing the chance of losing prosperity during an epidemic. So you should build hospitals at:
your capital
geographic choke points
a province where you are fishing for the event that adds a holding slot

Blanketing isn't really cost effective but there's worse ways to waste gold.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

IDK if it's specifically due to Reapers Due, but I've had a bad run of rulers dying of scurvy on ships on the way to attack a CB I just got. Extremely annoying with Italy, it takes so long to get CB's there. Leave the boss at home, guys.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think scurvy got dialed up to discourage pleasure cruises during epidemics. Its the worst with whatever is happening that makes your leader a phantom general unless you outright ban your character from leading armies (and it still seems like you occasionally jump on a ship anyway).

Scurvy needs something like the seclusion food bank because MTTH is completely wrong and frustrating way to handle it on a boat.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Chance of scurvy is increased if your capital is suffering from disease.

Just leave your generals at home until your troops arrive then use the commander wormhole to send them to Italy.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Scurvy is also one of the most easily cured diseases, I don't think I've had a physician fail to cure it after identifying it yet.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Semi-newbie here.

I really want to wipe my boot with the Italian king's face. Playing as a Corsican duke at the Old Gods start, I'd captured a few provinces to expand my realm a little bit, but had left Italy alone. All of a sudden, they declare war on me for no reason that I can determine. I manage to stave them off by a combination of an ill-timed revolt in ~50% of the Italian provinces, a few small allies joining the fight, and bankrupting myself with mercs. Short of plotting to kill him, what's the best way to lay waste to that worthless POS?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
imo ask him to vassalize you (which shouldn't be an issue) then start factions to overthrow him from power (maybe even install yourself if you get enough backers).

Only downfall of that is if you become his vassal and he immediately starts trying to revoke your poo poo but then you just refuse and are at war and it's basically the same situation you were already in anyway except now some of his vassals might revolt as well even if not directly in aid of you.

I do that poo poo to empires as a king all the time lol, should work just as easy for a duke going into a kingdom.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Carcer posted:

Scurvy is also one of the most easily cured diseases, I don't think I've had a physician fail to cure it after identifying it yet.

Yeah the cure for scurvy (chop off someone's face) is well-known to all medical professionals in the world.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah the cure for scurvy (chop off someone's dick) is well-known to all medical professionals in the world.

FTFY

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

imo ask him to vassalize you (which shouldn't be an issue) then start factions to overthrow him from power (maybe even install yourself if you get enough backers).

Only downfall of that is if you become his vassal and he immediately starts trying to revoke your poo poo but then you just refuse and are at war and it's basically the same situation you were already in anyway except now some of his vassals might revolt as well even if not directly in aid of you.

I do that poo poo to empires as a king all the time lol, should work just as easy for a duke going into a kingdom.

Excellent. So it shall be done.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh man, I found a new and wonderful way to get sayyid onto non-muslims; be a satanist and order one kidnapped (the Idrisids at Charlie are what I´ve been using but it will only get easier at later start-dates are more are sayyid) then force them into Satanism. Then you just have to rank up to the top, which shouldn't be terribly hard and then just order them to come then marry them to whatever and raise their kids with heritages.
Because you inducted them they're then part of your sub-satanists and it's no big deal.

Voila, instant matri-marriage candidates. And the best thing it sorta fits doesn't it? Like, it's not game-y as such, it's literal satanists going halfway around the world to grab someone for their bloodline.

now, if only I could reliably get an Iceland merchant republic going again. Man, I really, really wish that you could still move a capital after becoming a merchant republic because I can't swear fealty from the Canaries anymore and you have to have a duchy title to reform but the Canaries aren't safe from the plague. :(

i just wanna grow that Arabian empire as I seed it with assassins, my dynasty and secret shiites.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

I think something broke

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
In general, some sort of way to switch from feudal to MR wouldn't be the worst. Obviously not just a button to click, but a process would be nice.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also as an aside it would be nice if the MR succession was done somehow such that when I have full women's rights/equality the MR isn't still "only men can inherit" bc there's no way to actually change succession rules bc it is an MR.

My immersion :qq:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
is there a path to immortality through satanism? asking for a familiar

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Soup du Journey posted:

Only if you become a cannibal and then eat an immortal.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I become a cannibal with every possessed/lunatic ruler I get, as soon as I possibly can. You can get some really sweet traits by eating people. Go ahead, rebel because I'm a cannibal, I'll fukken eat you too scrub.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If heresies become the main religion (in my game, Iconoclasm has taken over Orthodox), does the heresy get the secret societies? I'm debating swearing fealty to the Byzantine Emperor.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Orthodox does have a Secret Society, it becoming a Heresy shouldn't affect it. Most religions including heresies don't get one.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Soup du Journey posted:

binge crotching posted:

Only if you become a cannibal and then eat an immortal.

GOTY 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh man, the societies and moved holy site has really made Zunists a lot more feasible. Not, by any meaning of the word easy but drat, if I hadn't forgotten to plonk my chancellor on the Caliph after the old one died, I think this mighta worked out.

Now, my only regret is that I can't seem to murder my brother fast enough and that there's no Jewgold for Zunists. Runnin' outta merc cash fast.

Also game crashed but I have way too much poo poo running so that happens sometimes.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Every 769 game I've played since 2.6 has had AI Mega Zunbils, I think the caliphate collapsing more reliably has been a big boost to them.

Kinda miffed that Paradox is waiting a few weeks to release 2.7.1, there's a handful of really nasty bugs that should probably have been hotfixed within the first week of release.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, sadly current Caliph stole one of the Buddhist counties and is now holy warring me for the buddhist parts of my realm owned by my idiot brother.

Wish either would die >: (

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

In my secret Jew game the Abbasids are loving solid as a rock and it's really annoying. Seems like before M&M came out they always got wrecked by decadence. Kinda frustrating since I own Nubia and Abyssinia and I'm basically waiting on them to get wrecked before all us God's Faithful throw our yarmulkes on and flip the Muslim world the bird.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yeah, sadly current Caliph stole one of the Buddhist counties and is now holy warring me for the buddhist parts of my realm owned by my idiot brother.

Wish either would die >: (

Friend, if you are merely wishing, you are playing Crusader Kings 2 very wrong.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Is immortal a trait you can search for in people finder window? I literally never tried and apart from failing the event I have zero experience with it. but kidnapping and eating someone over like a 500 year period is an achievable goal.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 15, 2017

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Yeah, but unless you changed supernatural events to unrestricted, there won't be anyone there.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Friend, if you are merely wishing, you are playing Crusader Kings 2 very wrong.
Neither died in time, but the next time around, I just barely managed to reform the religion before the Arabian Empire came for one of my holy sites.

The Knights of the Zun showed that fucker what a bit of Jolly Cooperation looks like. :getin:

Thanks to that loss causing a bankruptcy and a timely Shia caliphate, the Abbasids are now shattered and I'm laughing maniacially as I decide whether to conquer the steppes, head to Oman and then to Africa or go for the horrible Indian thunderdome.

I'm terribly tempted to head for Africa but I have literally zero boats. Does anyone know if tribal zunists raid at all? The non-Norse/Horse Nomad Ai seems really reluctant to do it for some reason.

Btw, my absolutely favourite new thing in the game is "Offer Concubine" interaction. Holy smokes it is the absolute best. No more idiots never marrying and dying at 70 childless; at least if the fuckers won't marry anyone I tell them they can at least have some kids.

What the hell is up with them never marrying anyway? I'm guessing lack of eligible ladies but why the heck doesn't the game spawn a few for the new dudes?

Goofballs posted:

Is immortal a trait you can search for in people finder window? I literally never tried and apart from failing the event I have zero experience with it. but kidnapping and eating someone over like a 500 year period is an achievable goal.
From what I remember, the immortal trait is player only except for events for some reason. C'est la vie

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

What the hell is up with them never marrying anyway? I'm guessing lack of eligible ladies but why the heck doesn't the game spawn a few for the new dudes?

It seems like the AI is a lot more choosy about the marriages it makes, and is always looking for good alliances, and it will prioritize that over actually producing heirs. Getting people to marry into my dynasty or even form alliances with me (my own wife, who I installed as a queen, wouldn't ally herself with me) seems to be much harder. The AI knows you are going to take whatever route you can to screw it over, so it's doing the same thing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

It seems like the AI is a lot more choosy about the marriages it makes, and is always looking for good alliances, and it will prioritize that over actually producing heirs. Getting people to marry into my dynasty or even form alliances with me (my own wife, who I installed as a queen, wouldn't ally herself with me) seems to be much harder. The AI knows you are going to take whatever route you can to screw it over, so it's doing the same thing.

I think there's also an element of performance involved as well - lower level title holders most likely don't check for spouses as often just because they don't really matter as much and it saves on processing.

The AI is definitely crafty about alliances and claims though - they generally don't care too much about the stats of a spouse (attractive/strong/genius characters get a bit of a bonus in their consideration but not a huge one), but they will definitely try to secure claims on titles through marriage. They don't always end up pressing the claims but they like having the option.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think there's also an element of performance involved as well - lower level title holders most likely don't check for spouses as often just because they don't really matter as much and it saves on processing.

In general lower level title holders marry as soon as they can, but there usually aren't enough eligible ladies in their courts for them all.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I feel like :attractive: should be able to marry cross-confession. History has plenty of examples of people marrying someone of the wrong religion because they were super hot and couldn't help themselves. (Plus they needed the reconciliation but they can frame it as "she is so beautiful depraved king who lost a war couldn't help himself and had to marry the beautiful daughter of the pagan. While he was also forced to give his beloved daughter away to become a concubine (the shame!) because of the depravity of the other.")

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Plus there's stuff like the Byzantine Emperor marrying off his sister to the still-pagan Vladimir the Great. It wasn't common, but it happened.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Shbobdb posted:

I feel like :attractive: should be able to marry cross-confession. History has plenty of examples of people marrying someone of the wrong religion because they were super hot and couldn't help themselves. (Plus they needed the reconciliation but they can frame it as "she is so beautiful depraved king who lost a war couldn't help himself and had to marry the beautiful daughter of the pagan. While he was also forced to give his beloved daughter away to become a concubine (the shame!) because of the depravity of the other.")

I wouldn't say plenty of cases. It obviously happened in areas where the ruler was of a different religion than the people he ruled over but it was rare enough that it doesn't really need to be modeled.

Pakled posted:

Plus there's stuff like the Byzantine Emperor marrying off his sister to the still-pagan Vladimir the Great. It wasn't common, but it happened.

Eh, Vladimir the Great marrying a byzantine princess was essentially a part of the deal of him converting. That's not really a great example.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kainser posted:

Eh, Vladimir the Great marrying a byzantine princess was essentially a part of the deal of him converting. That's not really a great example.

Then maybe that should be a diplomatic option. "Hey, pagan king, I'll let you marry into my extremely powerful and prestigious family if you convert to my religion."

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'd be cool with that.

Steppe people would happily switch from raiding to trading if they got a nice economic deal and some noble women.

One of the reasons the Byzantines had more issues with Steppe people as compared to say, the Chinese, was that they were more reluctant to marry them.

The pattern would get reset every couple of hundred years because someone decided to put their dick in the "I can totally beat the Steppe people in a land war" blender.

I also feel they need a sweet supernatural event for the "horses that sweat blood".

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

Kinda miffed that Paradox is waiting a few weeks to release 2.7.1, there's a handful of really nasty bugs that should probably have been hotfixed within the first week of release.

The whole DLC could have used a few more weeks of tinkering what with the useless ingredients but I guess they didn't want to release 3 DLCs on the same day.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

now, if only I could reliably get an Iceland merchant republic going again. Man, I really, really wish that you could still move a capital after becoming a merchant republic because I can't swear fealty from the Canaries anymore and you have to have a duchy title to reform but the Canaries aren't safe from the plague. :(

i just wanna grow that Arabian empire as I seed it with assassins, my dynasty and secret shiites.

You can move your capital to the default capital of your primary title. Form a different duchy and switch it to your primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

genericnick posted:

The whole DLC could have used a few more weeks of tinkering what with the useless ingredients but I guess they didn't want to release 3 DLCs on the same day.

Instead we're going to get two DLCs and a big patch in the same week! :downsgun:

• Locked thread