Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Or remove one of the "l"s and make it Skulkraken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I thought about it, buuuuuut :effort:

None of the other nicknames do this, I just left it in cause it was funny.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Skulgun

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'm so proud of my ditto

victor of my heart

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Silegna posted:

Hoo boy, that battle arcade. That was a trip and a half. (I still miss the Battle Frontier, it didn't make me want to set fire to my game). Also, whats up with Gyarados' name?
I'm a dumb who forgot that there was a 10 character nickname limit. :downs:

Presumably forcing an 11 character nickname broke whatever the game uses to decide what text to display, so it prints the OT before hitting a "DEAR GOD STOP" cue.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Oooh, that arcade randomness is crazy.

And for the record, I submitted my second pokemon way, way back when; I think like update 40 or something after you'd been begging for like 5 updates :)

Haifisch posted:

I'm a dumb who forgot that there was a 10 character nickname limit. :downs:

Presumably forcing an 11 character nickname broke whatever the game uses to decide what text to display, so it prints the OT before hitting a "DEAR GOD STOP" cue.
I never knew this bug existed, so I think it's awesome, not dumb. :cheers:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Crosspeice posted:

: Bud luck, you cast aside, and good luck, you netted. That you did so is evidence of your abilities. By defeating me, Dahlia, you have proven your mastery brilliantly! I am sincerely happy for having this battle against you!

Typo here.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Cheers, those ones are a bitch to find.

Out of curiosity, since there's about 50 Pokemon at the end of the game that I just have to evolve or illegally catch in order to complete the Pokedex, what do you guys prefer? Do I spread out the catches/evolutions bit by bit over the last 5 or so Crystal updates, or does it not matter and I'm fine to dump them on the final update via a test post link (which won't have much to it aside from, y'know, that final boss guy)? Uh, aside from the Battle Hall, I think this is the last vote of the LP, so go nuts, I guess!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Cheers, those ones are a bitch to find.

Out of curiosity, since there's about 50 Pokemon at the end of the game that I just have to evolve or illegally catch in order to complete the Pokedex, what do you guys prefer? Do I spread out the catches/evolutions bit by bit over the last 5 or so Crystal updates, or does it not matter and I'm fine to dump them on the final update via a test post link (which won't have much to it aside from, y'know, that final boss guy)? Uh, aside from the Battle Hall, I think this is the last vote of the LP, so go nuts, I guess!

Spread them out. Helps add a little spice update to update.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

rannum posted:

Spread them out. Helps add a little spice update to update.
Good call.

Also, I'd just like to state for the record that I firmly support cheating to fill the Dex at all times because version-exclusive Pokemon was a stupid pain in the rear end even back in Gen 1 when there were only like 150 total mons. Pretty sure I completed the Dex ONCE in RBY (minus Mew, for obvious reasons) and then never bothered again, ever, in any playthrough of any game.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It's not quite as bad in recent versions, because GTS+breeding high-demand Pokemon is an easy way to get version exclusives, and also everything else.

The last time I completed a dex was in Plat, and at least half the dex was stuff I traded for.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Definitely spread them, they'll be easier to read that way.

Also the only thing you should ever need to cheat for in this day and age are event mons. Online trading makes it really easy to get anything else, except for maybe legendaries.

I completed my Pokedex (and Livingdex, even) in XYORAS without issue. I'd have it complete in Sun too but I'm lazy and grinding in SM is a pain in the butt.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

MagusofStars posted:

Good call.

Also, I'd just like to state for the record that I firmly support cheating to fill the Dex at all times because version-exclusive Pokemon was a stupid pain in the rear end even back in Gen 1 when there were only like 150 total mons. Pretty sure I completed the Dex ONCE in RBY (minus Mew, for obvious reasons) and then never bothered again, ever, in any playthrough of any game.

Nintendo wants you to have friends, but refuses to have anything resembling a good friends setup, as even the Switch will be using goddam Friend Codes. I agree that version exclusives are stupid, but not as stupid as say, Platinum not having any exclusive from diamond and Pearl to force trading.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I have no qualms with cheating, as I've repeatedly shown over my LPs, so with around 50 or so mons left to show, I'll be doing around 10 per update, cause there's really not much left of the game now!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Silegna posted:

Nintendo wants you to have friends, but refuses to have anything resembling a good friends setup, as even the Switch will be using goddam Friend Codes. I agree that version exclusives are stupid, but not as stupid as say, Platinum not having any exclusive from diamond and Pearl to force trading.

I'm going to assume that guy is at every Nintendo console meeting, and nobody has the heart to shoot him down.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Haifisch posted:

I'm going to assume that guy is at every Nintendo console meeting, and nobody has the heart to shoot him down.

The Wii U, for all its other faults and failures, did not have friend codes. Of all things not to carry forward...

The Switch at least does not need a 2 friend code cross over, "just" one of you needs it to search. If you've friended anyone on their mobiles games you can also send one over so....small mercies, i guess...

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

rannum posted:

The Wii U, for all its other faults and failures, did not have friend codes. Of all things not to carry forward...

The Switch at least does not need a 2 friend code cross over, "just" one of you needs it to search. If you've friended anyone on their mobiles games you can also send one over so....small mercies, i guess...

It's still an archaic system. I don't know why we can't just have something like PSN or Xbox Live usernames. Come to think of it, what WAS the point of getting Switch Usernames if we were going back to Friend Codes?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
This is probably something that can be fixed with a firmware update. Really should get rid of friendcodes, if it is something to protect children simply have friendcodes be a parental settings thing.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Silegna posted:

It's still an archaic system. I don't know why we can't just have something like PSN or Xbox Live usernames. Come to think of it, what WAS the point of getting Switch Usernames if we were going back to Friend Codes?

Cross region friends? Bit hard for someone with basically no knowledge of Japanese to enter in a Japanese name but numbers are universal. That's all I've got.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 48: The Southern Seas

Welcome back to Crystal, here's a creepy mime.

Another mon in the bag.

And here's the last Baby Pokemon. There's still two more Pokemon we'll be hatching from eggs, but that'll be in a more thematically appropriate update instead of the random shove that I'm doing here.

HP: 50 | ATK: 25 | DEF: 28 | SP.ATK: 45 | SP.DEF: 55 | SPD: 15 | TOTAL: 218
#040: Cleffa

Let's also get Clefable, since we won't be encountering it any other way, as no trainers use one.

HP: 95 | ATK: 70 | DEF: 73 | SP.ATK: 85 | SP.DEF: 90 | SPD: 60 | TOTAL: 473
#042: Clefable

And now we're at the part of the LP where we've got 50 Pokemon that we just need to evolve/catch illegally in order to complete the Pokedex. There are still a few Pokemon left to catch in the wild, but we're mostly done. Will your favourite Pokemon be featured? Find out through this link! Cause there's still a lot to go through.

Surfing

Been a little while since we were on a Surfing route (thank god), but there's not much left of Kanto at this point. One more update after this.

"suntan lotion!"

Those temptations won't work on me, a girl. Probably.

"caused by the sun."

Plenty of low level Water Pokemon to face down.

Man, we haven't fished in a while, where the hell is the final rod? And why will I never use it?

Just making sure I'm not missing out on any trainers. Cause it's really hard remembering where you've been on these routes.

HP: 75 | ATK: 105 | DEF: 75 | SP.ATK: 105 | SP.DEF: 75 | SPD: 45 | TOTAL: 480
#173: Octillery

"volcano."

Volcano?

Cinnabar Island

Since when did Cinnabar have a volcano?

Cinnabar Island: The Fiery Town of Burning Desire
(Cinnabar is an orange-red mineral used to produce vermilion pigment)
Guren Island: Guren's red is the color of passion
(Guren refers to the red lotus, or more specifically its crimson color)

Why is this region so goddamn depressing???

: Well, it's plain to see that you're a trainer... My name's BLUE. I was once the CHAMPION, although it was for only a short time... That meddling RED did me in... Anyway, what do you want? You want to challenge me or something? ...I hate to say it, but I'm not in the mood for a battle now.

: The volcano erupts, and just like that, a whole town disappears. We can go on winning and losing in POKéMON. But if nature so much as twitches, we can lose in a second ... That's the way it is... But, anyway, I'm still a trainer. If I see a strong opponent, it makes me want to battle. If you want to battle me, come to the VIRIDIAN GYM. I'll take you on then.

So that's a whole town just gone, aside from the Pokemon Center. When they want to cut content, they're sometimes pretty creative.

And that's everything to do at Cinnabar.

Surfing

So let's get going.

You can always get a boat.

"ponds and rivers."

And we've already reached the Seafoam Islands. Can't wait to see how large this dungeon is.

Route 20

Wait where's the other entrance?

Seafoam Islands

Hang on a minute!

: My fire-breathing POKéMON and I are homeless because of the volcano. Waaah! But I'm back in business as a GYM LEADER here in this cave. If you can beat me, I'll give you a BADGE! Ha! You'd better have BURN HEAL!

Gym Leader Battle (Kanto)

Blaine: The Hotheaded Quiz Master!
(Blaine is a combination of blaze and flame, whereas Katsura is the name of the Japanese Judas tree. It is also the word for wig and from ka, fire)

HP: 50 | ATK: 50 | DEF: 120 | SP.ATK: 80 | SP.DEF: 80 | SPD: 30 | TOTAL: 410
#212: Magcargo

Blaine is trying to make this Magcargo work.

Bless him.

The heat is turning up, but Magmar just has the elemental punches, so it's not too threatening.

And it's pretty fragile.

This is the main threat, since it's fast and at a high level (for this game anyway) and pretty powerful, especially if the sun is up.

I just love getting wrecked by Blaine, don't I?

Fire Blast has better accuracy than Blizzard or Thunder, but it's still only 85%.

: You've earned VOLCANOBADGE!

Seafoam Islands

: I did lose this time, but I'm going to win next time. When I rebuild my CINNABAR GYM, we'll have a rematch. My fire POKéMON will be even stronger. Just you watch!

: Sorry, sorry! CINNABAR GYM was gone, so I didn't know where to find you. But, hey, you're plenty strong even without my advice. I knew you'd win!

Surfing

You might be surprised to learn that there is no Seafoam Island dungeon, so now we're off to the last city in Kanto, Fuchsia!

Still a few Swimmers to take down on the way.

"you use in water."

blue

There aren't many levels left for our team, we're running out of trainers to fight.

I will sit on my frog regardless.

The last water route of the game. Like most water routes, it's just nothing but trainers and endless blue.

We're already off to a great start with a dying guy.

"FUCHSIA... Gasp..."

I can feel the love from here.

"and SEAFOAM ISLANDS..."

: Sheesh, some big man my boyfriend is! What a wimp!

"sea at night?"

I've probably done so at least once, but I don't remember.

I don't think that's what the developers were going for.

: I'm just splashing around in these shallow waters.

"love the sea."

Alright, we're done here, thank god.

Now you might be thinking why didn't we go this way to Cinnabar and Pallet and all that instead of solving the Power Plant.

The eruption threw rocks all the way over here. Kanto is just a lovely place with lots of disasters happening.

Fuchsia City

Fuschia City: Behold! It's Passion Pink!
(Fuschia is a purple-red colour)
Sekichiku City: Sekichiku is the color of pink flora.
(Sekichiku iro refers to the colour of the ornamental China pink flower.)

We did alright even with the many swimmers and Gym Leader inbetween here and Cinnabar.

Hmm, interesting.

We'll face the leader in just a moment, but let's have an explore of the town first.

Let's see how the good ol' warden is doing.

"DEN."

: At least he was... He decided to go on a vacation and took off overseas all by himself. He quit running SAFARI ZONE just like that.

: SAFARI ZONE OFFICE is closed until further notice.

I hate this dead, empty region.

The main draw of this city was the Safari Zone. Without it, uh, there's nothing really here.

: Therefore, the SAFARI ZONE is closed.

I guess we'll take on the Gym, then?

Pokemon Gym

: Whoops! Take a good look around you. The trainers all look like the LEADER, JANINE. Which of them is the real JANINE?

This is an interesting gimmick, the "invisible" walls are still the same from last gen, but now who's the leader? The only way to find out to the battle the trainers, though if you do find Janine, any trainers leftover will no longer battle you.

: How did you know I was real? Let's battle!

You're literally the first trainer we've fought, whaaaaaaat?

Ah you got me!

"what, huh?"

You want me to call you cute? I'll call you cute.

: No, I'm not! Gotcha, sucker!

I will fall for this trick every single time!

"LEADER?"

I think I'll find her pretty easily, now that she's the only one left after this trainer.

I do like that the Gym Leader isn't in the center like Koga was, adds another layer of deception onto it.

: I'm only joking! I'm the real deal! JANINE of FUCHSIA GYM, that's me!

Gym Leader Battle (Kanto)

Janine: The Poisonous Ninja Master
(Janine is from 忍者 ninja, with the syllables reversed, while Anzu is from 杏 anzu, apricot, while also having the on-yumi reading of kyō, Koga's Japanese name.)

So this is why Janine is the second to last Gym Leader we're fighting. LOOK AT THESE LEVELS. She's weaker than Clair and our team would be overlevelled to fight her no matter when we challenged her. And due to there being basically nothing in Fuchsia City anyway, I had no problem leaving this area to last.

I'm trying to let the Leader strut her stuff, but Kakarott seems to have other ideas.

You have Confuse Ray, why are you trying to use Supersonic???

And that's it for the Crobat, how interesting.

She has two identical Weezing and if they aren't poisoning you, they're exploding on you.

Like so.

Thankfully, none of them do explode on me, but I'm not sure if they would've taken me out anyway.

This Ariados is weaker than Jasmine's Steelix, has a terrible moveset and can't even hit a goddamn String Shot. These are the only two images I'll ever give it.

Venomoth can become a problem if it Double Team/Toxic stalls you. But it's still weaker than all of the Elite Four, so who gives a poo poo?

"VENOMOTH!"

When the hell did we last see a trainer using a stat boosting item?

I think we're done here.

"definitely won."

: Here's SOULBADGE. Take it.

: You're so tough! I have a special gift! It's TOXIC, a powerful poison that steadily saps the victim's HP.

Why is Janine one of the two Kanto Gym Leaders that give you a TM? Why do only two Kanto Gym Leaders give you TMs anyway?

: I want to become better than both Father and you!

"from JOHTO!"

Eh, it was alright. Like I get that she's weaker since she's a new Gym Leader and all, but it doesn't make it an interesting fight.

Well that's it for this update. Next time is the last few areas and fights of Kanto!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

As lifeless as the end results are, I always did appreciate that they tried to explain why some of the areas are like they are. Cinnabar getting volcanoed is pretty cool!

Blaine being in the lone room of the seafoam islands for no reason is less so. At least make your gym in thE HEART OF THE VOLCANO

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I think that Crobat moveset is the worst we've seen this whole game. Supersonic and Confuse Ray? With Screech on top of it??
I know Gen II movesets weren't much better than Gen I, but it's sad to see one of my favorite pokemon stuck with such a bad moveset.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

rannum posted:

As lifeless as the end results are, I always did appreciate that they tried to explain why some of the areas are like they are. Cinnabar getting volcanoed is pretty cool!

Blaine being in the lone room of the seafoam islands for no reason is less so. At least make your gym in thE HEART OF THE VOLCANO
And it'd also be a nice reference to the anime where Blaine's gym was in fact inside a volcano (or at least right on top of the magma chamber).

Ah, the days when Charizard had access to Seismic Toss.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 49: End of Kanto

Route 15

Well we're off to a great start in this update. Like I've done a couple times before, I'm gonna be skipping over most of the leftover routes. All that's really left are weak trainers, a couple of Pokemon to catch and a few items here and there. An hour's worth of footage for not much reward, honestly. But since this is an LP, gotta do it! And also cause I have to for the stronger trainers out there (they exist!)

Haven't beaten up a teacher in a while.

And that was a fun route.

This is the only interesting thing of Route 15, since it's otherwise a straight line with 8 trainers on it.

Now that I have all the screenshots, I notice everyone in the team levels up once during this trip. What a way to spend an hour.

We've found the last trade of the game and it's a real interesting one. Unless you trade from Gen 1, Aerodactyl is unobtainable in Gen 2 otherwise. But what about Chansey? That was only found in the Safari Zone, so where is it now?

HP: 250 | ATK: 5 | DEF: 5 | SP.ATK: 35 | SP.DEF: 105 | SPD: 50 | TOTAL: 450
#217: Chansey

Ooh, lucky (HEH). Since Chansey has beast special bulk, it means I can weaken it with my really strong Pokemon. But as to finding it? 1% chance on these three surrounding routes. And you need to catch 2 to complete your Pokedex.

You might be surprised to learn I used a code to encounter only Chansey. Cause gently caress 1% chances.

Happiness evolutions still suck.

HP: 255 | ATK: 10 | DEF: 10 | SP.ATK: 75 | SP.DEF: 135 | SPD: 55 | TOTAL: 540
#218: Blissey

"AERODACTYL."

Trading time!

"CHANSEY!"

: How is that AERODACTYL I traded you doing? Your CHANSEY's so cute!

Ooh, nice haul.

Otherwise nothing too special.

And now we're on Route 13. Route 14 had the most to do on any of these routes, so it's pretty quick from here.

It's still an annoying maze, but since it's Gen 2, it's smaller and has slightly less trainers.

HP: 95 | ATK: 75 | DEF: 80 | SP.ATK: 100 | SP.DEF: 110 | SPD: 30 | TOTAL: 490
#082: Slowking

"PIKACHU gang?"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

: Look! Right there, at the left side of the post.

Sooooooo, was that my left, or your left? Cause that wasn't really left.

We're nearly done with the routes of yawn.

Lots of secret goodies.

While it's a bit slow, at least I'm getting some benefit from fighting all these boring trainers.

Ah finally, something interesting.

"brother."

: I can see that you like fishing. There's no doubt in my mind at all! So? I know I'm right.

Eh

: Yes, yes. Just as I thought! Here, fishing fan! Take this--it's a SUPER ROD.

: Try your hand at fishing wherever there is water. Remember--you can catch different POKéMON using different RODS.

How did this pier support that Snorlax anyway? Oh yeah, the Super Rod. Since it came so late in the game... it's actually not that useful. We've already gotten most of the Pokemon you can fish up with it, since they can be found in the wild elsewhere or by Surfing in the same area. Quite a few times, it's just the same Pokemon with the previous rods, but stronger, so there's really nothing that interesting about it. After the variety we got with the Old and Good Rods, this is kind of a shame. Oh well!

And that's about it for Route 12.

Oh yeah, we never actually explored Route 11. You have no real reason to, we could've done it after clearing the Snorlax, but I guess we'll do it now.

There's not much here, really.

But if we lurk around at night...

Try not to think about it too much.

Now the last area we have yet to go to in Kanto is the Cycling Road, so let's head to Celadon!

: It's been quite a while. Oh, by the way, MARINA. Have you caught the legendary POKéMON RAIKOU and ENTEI?

: Okay... If you catch even one, I hope that you'll inform me. I'm counting on you, MARINA!

That's an awful reminder that I'm running out of things to do to put off roaming legendaries. Regardless, Cycling Road time!

Route 16

I wonder what's back here now?

.......................why do you exist?

: It's all downhill, so it's totally exhilarating. It's a great sort of feeling that you can't get from a ship or a train.

Cycling Road is the same as before, it's easy going down, but slow going up. Just before we properly head down, we're going to get the only new Pokemon of the area.

Man, all the interesting stuff is hanging around Celadon. But alas, we're way too late to actually make use of this Pokemon. Not that it's particularly usable anyway...

Now let's finally explore Cycling Road!

And that was Cycling Road! Seriously, there's only 5 Bikers around, I only gained one level and there's only 1 item to find. But will Route 18 be more interesting???

Nope!

Let's just fight the final Gym Leader already, we've done all the training we can.

Pokemon Gym

: How's it going? Looks like you're on a roll. The GYM LEADER is a guy who battled the CHAMPION three years ago. He's no pushover. Give it everything you've got!

He, uh, definitely likes his Lego?

: I wasn't in the mood at CINNABAR, but now I'm ready to battle you. ... You're telling me you conquered all the GYMS in JOHTO? Heh! JOHTO's GYMS must be pretty pathetic then. Hey, don't worry about it. I'll know if you are good or not by battling you right now. Ready, JOHTO CHAMP?

VS Gym Leader (Kanto) :siren: VS Gym Leader Blue :siren:

Shigeru was here, Satoshi is a loser

Probably the only challenging trainer in Kanto, which is why he's the only Kanto leader to get his own video. Blue can be pretty tough if you haven't been training, though we have gained eight levels per Pokemon in Kanto overall, so it's definitely worth fighting the hoards of awful, weak trainers.

Pidgeot doesn't have anything too dangerous in its arsenal, everything is about 5 levels lower than it was in Gen 1, but all the Pokemon he's using now are the ones he used in Red and Blue, minus the starter.

Well I didn't expect to see a Pidgeot do THAT today.

Okay, he's starting off strong. While Alakazam only really has Psychic...

That's all it needs, cause this is not a damage race we can win.

Unless Jeremiah is a fuckin beast and clutches victory.

Unlike Gen 1, Exeggutor actually has four moves and one of them is even STAB! Crazy.

Egg Bomb does a lot of damage, but the main reason to take out Exeggutor quickly is because of Sunny Day. Blue's team uses every weather effect, but only Sunny Day helps out more than one team member.

Oh I know exactly who can take care of this guy.

Surf VS Earthquake, I only win because I'm faster, since opposing Pokemon don't have Stat Exp.

Gen 5.txt. Thankfully Gyarados isn't too dangerous since even with the rain up, it still has bad Special Attack.

With the sun up, it barely does less than half. I can beat it easy.

Oh. Never mind then.

I think Mothra will be fine, the sun is still around.

Orrrrrrr maybe not.

HP: 90 | ATK: 110 | DEF: 80 | SP.ATK: 100 | SP.DEF: 80 | SPD: 95 | TOTAL: 555
#128: Arcanine

Hmm, this final Pokemon is a real doozy. A Sunny Day boosted Flamethrower from this guy will hurt a lot. But its moveset is completely walled by Rock types, so we have a backup in case Kakarott can't do the job. Though it's looking like we won't be winning the damage race. Not too surprising, Extremespeed has a higher BP and Arcanine is nearly 10 levels higher than me.

That helps.

That doesn't.

It's easier to just let ...Kamina? take the win than trying to whittle it down with Kakarott.

: How the heck did I lose to you? ... Tch, all right... Here, take this--it's EARTHBADGE.

Pokemon Gym

: All right, I was wrong. You're the real deal. You are a good trainer. But I'm going to beat you someday. Don't you forget it! Listen, you. You'd better not lose until I beat you. Got it?

: That was one heck of an inspirational battle. It brought tears to my eyes.

While we can never check our Kanto badges, we've finally got all 16, the most any game has ever had. Man, I'm gonna miss Jim Gui, but with all the Kanto badges, it's time to get some rewards!

Professor Oak's Lab

First up is the Prof.

"KANTO. Well done!"

: I was right in my assessment of you. Tell you what, MARINA. I'll make arrangements so that you can go to MT.SILVER. MT. SILVER is a big mountain that is home to many wild POKéMON. It's too dangerous for your average trainer, so it's off limits. But we can make an exception in your case, MARINA. Go up to INDIGO PLATEAU. You can reach MT.SILVER from there.

Finally, the last area of the game is open to us and we're getting really close to completing our Pokedex.

Vermillion City

Our second and last reward for getting all the Kanto badges is right where we started in this region.

: You got all the KANTO GYM BADGES. I've got a reward for your efforts.

: Having a variety of POKéMON types should give you an edge in battle. I'm sure the KANTO GYM BADGES will help you.

Uh, sure. Just before we head over to Mt. Silver, since this update ain't done just yet, it's time to evolve some more Pokemon, yaaaaaaaaay. Over here

This is the only time you'll be going through Route 22, since it's the easiest way to get to the new area.

Route 28

What crazy adventures await us on Route 28?

Uh... hmmm... there's nothing here.

Like, REALLY nothing here.

Okay at least there's an item.

And something that makes Route 28 not completely empty.

: Please don't tell anyone about me. I'll give you this keeping my secret. Please?

: Everywhere I go, people chase me. I just want to be left alone...

And that's about it for everything before Mt. Silver. With that, we're also done with literally everything in Kanto, bar one (Eusine, obviously). Aside from that, we'll be spending the rest of the LP in Johto. Also, that was the second Steel Wing TM we just got. I assume this girl is the same one that's above Cycling Road in Gen 1, but I dunno. Anyway, Steel Wing is an alright move, so I can't complain.

Let's explore the final dungeon (not counting Tin Tower).

Silver Cave

Like with Unknown Dungeon, this place is filled with nothing but Pokemon and items. Which isn't very interesting for an SSLP, alas.

Maybe we'll use all these good items, unlike in the last LP.

That's everything in this area, so let's enter the next cave.

Ooh, we don't need Flash anymore (thank god) and we've got some water. One cool thing about Mt. Silver is how each of its three areas look different. It's the little things, y'know?

Wheeeee

Got even more caves within caves within caves. Crazy.

Also, unlike Unknown Dungeon, there's more than just the one Pokemon to catch deep in the cave with a dumb 5% encounter rate. This area has 2 of those! And a few others.

I feel like we broke the 200 mark a while ago.

And another one.

Hey, saves me having to hack in endless Rare Candies if I can just catch the drat things instead of evolving them.

We're not done with the water just yet.

There are only two sides caves with two items between them, but that's not all.

HP: 60 | ATK: 60 | DEF: 60 | SP.ATK: 85 | SP.DEF: 85 | SPD: 85 | TOTAL: 435
#214: Misdreavus

Well this lovely Pokemon is never leaving the box.

We can get also get Machoke. Man, there's actually a few things to catch here!

Now all that's left to do is to catch, er, I mean, TRADE for these evolutions. Yeahhhhhh.

Ooh, the final area. Looks pretty bright.

And what's at the end of this long cave?

Ah. The final challenge of the game. Are we ready to face this?

gently caress NO. Let's catch a new Pokemon instead.

HP: 50 | ATK: 64 | DEF: 50 | SP.ATK: 45 | SP.DEF: 50 | SPD: 41 | TOTAL: 435
#244: Larvitar

And that's it for this update, we're gonna run really far away from that trainer until the end of the LP, basically. Until then, it's time for some Battle Tower - Level 70. Heck yeah!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 30, 2017

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I feel you should underline, maybe in the Red update I guess, that the levels for Mt. Silver, the final place in the game that you can only reach after doing literally everything else, home to the highest leveled wild Pokemon caps out at absolute most level 52, on a parasect in crystal. There's a smattering of pokemon that reach level 50 spread around the place, but most are mid to late 40s.

Meanwhile the Cerulean Cave had pokemon running from 50 as a baseline and many go up to the mid60s. Red/Blue versions can even encounter level 67 dittos! Even FRLG's nerfed version of the dungeon still lets you find 48-60s as you go deeper.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

In addition to Midreavus and Larvitar, outside My. Silver, only at night, is the only place you can find Sneasel in Gold and Silver. Because hey, who actually wants to use the brand new Dark type, amiright?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

In addition to Midreavus and Larvitar, outside My. Silver, only at night, is the only place you can find Sneasel in Gold and Silver. Because hey, who actually wants to use the brand new Dark type, amiright?

Not to mention Larvitar is the new Dratini, so of course it's only introduced in the final dungeon. Hope you feel like grinding if you want its actually pretty good final version.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I remember when I got a Misdreavus in Silver, I was so happy because I was a kid and got to that area and found something cool I hadn't seen before!...and then my teacher took my Gameboy and turned it off. I was so mad.

Also Larvitar is really cool and it's super dumb you don't get it until this late but GSC is full of really stupid poo poo. Like how Blue for some reason has a massive level spike over the rest of Kanto and only makes it even more obvious how screwed up the level curve is.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

If I remember right, the only Dark type you can get before the Elite 4 is Umbreon...who has horrible offensive stats. :sigh:

FWIW, if you get Larvitar early (via trade or cheats), he's actually extremely good through the game. The evolutions happen at just the right time when he starts to struggle and he's got some good attacks via levels.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MagusofStars posted:

If I remember right, the only Dark type you can get before the Elite 4 is Umbreon...who has horrible offensive stats. :sigh:

FWIW, if you get Larvitar early (via trade or cheats), he's actually extremely good through the game. The evolutions happen at just the right time when he starts to struggle and he's got some good attacks via levels.

Pupitar evolves into Tyranitar at level 55, which you absolutely will not get to in GSC without grinding (for a long time, because Gen V did not happen yet) or using a single Pokemon the whole way through.

Just look at Crosspeice's team, you absolutely should not have level 48 Pokemon after the League and one step away from facing basically Champion Mk-II.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I often had to grind to face the final challenge because the levels are crazy. That said, even Pupitar is viable all the way through even if you don't get the final evolution because the stats are pretty good.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Not to mention Larvitar is the new Dratini, so of course it's only introduced in the final dungeon. Hope you feel like grinding if you want its actually pretty good final version.

Also contrast Dratini, whom you can get as early as Goldenrod in some versions of the gen 2, or in the Safari Zone back in Gen 1. The pokemon placement is just baffling in this game. I don't even mind the weird power level curves and dips, availability is what really pissed me off about gen 2.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I always got the impression they were scared of having too many new Pokemon crowding out the familiar old ones, leading to Kanto mons drowning out Gen II mons on most routes.

Although considering how pissed people were at Gen III for blocking them off from their old mons & Gen V for being 100% new guys(although it really wouldn't have been so bad if you had more selection at the start), maybe they were right. :v:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Very well made update, as always! I've been watching closer than usual to the level up screens and its ocurred to me just how specialized each of your team is; take Churchhill for example. I remember when she was just a Snubbull (and you lost your poo poo over her lmfao)l and never gave her a second thought my first time playing Crystal; yet here you've made her into an freaking beast; with utility.
So what I'm saying is is it possible for you to hack another trainer's team and movesets? Specifically into a mirror image of your own team and then battle your own skillset? That would be just so cool.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Haifisch posted:

I always got the impression they were scared of having too many new Pokemon crowding out the familiar old ones, leading to Kanto mons drowning out Gen II mons on most routes.

Although considering how pissed people were at Gen III for blocking them off from their old mons & Gen V for being 100% new guys(although it really wouldn't have been so bad if you had more selection at the start), maybe they were right. :v:

Honestly, at this point I'm so throughly sick of Kanto that I would love another 100% new generation.

Of course, I doubt they want to introduce ~150 new Pokémon after the past couple of sub-100 generations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Goddamn. I have no idea why Misdreavus became my favourite Pokemon since I first caught one, but hey, it's what I love now. At least he was pretty useful through Sun.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Kikas posted:

Goddamn. I have no idea why Misdreavus became my favourite Pokemon since I first caught one, but hey, it's what I love now. At least he was pretty useful through Sun.

Great (main game) stats + great movepool. I used one in my X egg run and was delighted to find them in Sun/Moon.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Then again, their ideas are probably limited to Wowoman and Bodosomo these days.

Crosspeice posted:

Let's explore the final dungeon (not counting Tin Tower).

:mad:

TinTower fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 23, 2017

a busted-up mailbox
Dec 14, 2012
I feel like the difficulty of the final challenge is overstated, being more of a puzzle about how to defeat a trainer while using underleveled Pokemon than anything else. As long as you have something bulky enough to survive a few hits instead of filling your team with sweepers, it's trivial to cheese your way to victory, even if your team is at level 30 if you know what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

a busted-up mailbox posted:

I feel like the difficulty of the final challenge is overstated, being more of a puzzle about how to defeat a trainer while using underleveled Pokemon than anything else. As long as you have something bulky enough to survive a few hits instead of filling your team with sweepers, it's trivial to cheese your way to victory, even if your team is at level 30 if you know what to do.

Ah yes, the greatest of puzzles

Item Spam

• Locked thread