Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Tender Bender posted:

So I'm about 5 hours into Zelda and my only complaints (related to controls, no spoiler) is that

B) You can swap run and jump, but you can't make them next to each other so you can actually jump while running.

Since the A Button doesn't make Link stop moving, you can roll from B to X (or vice versa) over the A Button to do a running jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tender Bender posted:

A) You can't set lockon to "toggle" rather than "hold", which would make playing with separated joycon feel a thousand times better,
B) You can swap run and jump, but you can't make them next to each other so you can actually jump while running.

These are my two main beefs too, not being able to toggle the lockon makes it really tough to easily switch in mobs without resetting the camera and getting hit. Also, along with this, I can't find an option to move the camera closer or further away from you. I know most Zeldas don't have that option but it'd be nice to either be able to toggle the camera so it's further away, or get a first person mode outside the scope.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When you stop running there's like a third of a second where you can press jump and still get a running jump.

The distance you get is completely negligible though, there's no reason to in a game where you can climb everything.

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Weird there's no camera.
I guess they have no plans for another sequel to FreakyForms, which was pulled from Japan's 3DS e-shop when it turned out to be a security hole.

I bet they'll release a camera attachment eventually, though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

Weird there's no camera.
I guess they have no plans for another sequel to FreakyForms, which was pulled from Japan's 3DS e-shop when it turned out to be a security hole.

I bet they'll release one eventually, though.

They knew people would take this in the bathroom.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

Weird there's no camera.

I bet they'll release a camera attachment eventually, though.

There is a camera. The right joycon as an IR camera so Nintendo can record you pooping.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

parallelodad posted:

When you stop running there's like a third of a second where you can press jump and still get a running jump.

The distance you get is completely negligible though, there's no reason to in a game where you can climb everything.

I don't think this is totally true, there was at least one shrine early on where I'm pretty sure the only way to get an extra chest is with good run/jump/paraglide timing

And in any case you get a decent amount more distance from running and jumping. It's awkward but if you hold your thumb right you can do it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Louisgod posted:

I've had zero issues with the Joycons losing connection when connected to the Switch and knowing they get a physical connection when attached it's hard to understand how it'd lose synch unless the joycons themselves are bonked.

I actually had this happen to me twice today when playing in mobile with the joycons attached. Very very odd, because it shouldn't be an issue, by any sense, but I can confirm this happened.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lemming posted:

I don't think this is totally true, there was at least one shrine early on where I'm pretty sure the only way to get an extra chest is with good run/jump/paraglide timing

And in any case you get a decent amount more distance from running and jumping. It's awkward but if you hold your thumb right you can do it.

The one with the wind fans, like the first one most people would run into off the plateau? I got that one with a standing jump.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The contacts might have some gunk on them or be damaged. They are tucked away, so I don't know how you would clean them. Perhaps an alcohol soaked tissue and a toothpick maybe.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
To whoever watched the BoTW making of videos, are they spoilery? Haven't played the game yet but I'd like to watch them.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
It's on the news right now, gamers everywhere are hooking up because they play Switch it in places where members of the female gender can see them. Elon Musk has abandoned plans to travel to Mars, he says he's got all the babes he needs and they're outta this world.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I bought a Switch hoping my wife would jump my bones again instead I'm obsessed with Zelda and she doesn't care until Disgaea 5 comes out.

Also the pro controller is fantastic and rivals the PS4 controller for me which was my favorite controller ever.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

I bought a Switch hoping my wife would jump my bones again instead I'm obsessed with Zelda and she doesn't care until Disgaea 5 comes out.

You can buy Disgaea right now from the Japanese eshop. It's fully in English.

Setup an account specifically for the Japanese eshop.
Buy yen eshop credit from playasia
Buy Disgaea
Have wife jump bones

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Infinitum posted:

You can buy Disgaea right now from the Japanese eshop. It's fully in English.

Setup an account specifically for the Japanese eshop.
Buy yen eshop credit from playasia
Buy Disgaea
Have wife jump bones

I asked earlier but will I own the NA version when it comes out?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rad Valtar posted:

I asked earlier but will I own the NA version when it comes out?

No.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

nfi.

You'll have a copy linked to your Japanese account, but the game is completely in English already.

If you're asking if the game will move to your regular account? No.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Nolgthorn posted:

It's on the news right now, gamers everywhere are hooking up because they play Switch it in places where members of the female gender can see them. Elon Musk has abandoned plans to travel to Mars, he says he's got all the babes he needs and they're outta this world.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

I got one of those tempered glass screen protectors, and I have a tiny pieces of something underneath it bugging the crap out of me.

Can these things be removed and reused?

For people trying to apply screen protectors and tempered glass protectors, do so in the bathroom​ with a hot shower running. The steam keeps dust particles from floating around and keeps your screen clean after you clean it. If you're trying to get a nice application, do not apply protectors any where else in your house. Unless of course you have like a clean room in your house.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
The article I found says that the guy bought blaster master at launch on his Japanese account and when it came out in the US his English account said it was already purchased. That might indicate that purchases are tied to system and not account.

https://www.google.com/amp/ventureb...-u-s-store/amp/

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

DoctorWhat posted:

Since the A Button doesn't make Link stop moving, you can roll from B to X (or vice versa) over the A Button to do a running jump.

I just do a claw grip with the jump button on B. It's more for camera manipulation while running, but works for run & jump too. Works better on the Pro controller than the Joy-Con. Thanks Dark Souls for teaching me how to hold a controller incorrectly, the proper way.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Eh, not really. That doesn't really indicate anything.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

enojy posted:

I just do a claw grip with the jump button on B. It's more for camera manipulation while running, but works for run & jump too. Works better on the Pro controller than the Joy-Con. Thanks Dark Souls for teaching me how to hold a controller incorrectly, the proper way.

I mean, I claw a bunch on the Wii U Gamepad (monhun instincts) too.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'll be applying my first glass screen protector later this week, and while I do not disbelieve that the best results might come from a steamy bathroom I am left wondering:

doesn't moisture get in there? won't you have tiny water droplets caught in there instead of dust? Is it permeable enough for it to escape somehow?

NormenKD
Jul 14, 2013

The Bloop posted:

I'll be applying my first glass screen protector later this week, and while I do not disbelieve that the best results might come from a steamy bathroom I am left wondering:

doesn't moisture get in there? won't you have tiny water droplets caught in there instead of dust? Is it permeable enough for it to escape somehow?

Water and air bubbles can be slowly pushed outwards without removing the protector, dust and hairs stay where they are.

Also: The screenprotector+case combo had some dust removal stickers. They are basically very sticky, small pieces of tape. They cling stronger to dust and hairs then the adhesive of the protector, so can potentially save you.

NormenKD fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 14, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

enojy posted:

Yeah I can't play Zelda in handheld mode because of the claw required. Much easier with loose joycons at my desk or with the pro on my couch. Master Blaster is great in handheld though. Still haven't opened Bomberman or loaded Shovelknight, but it is seeming like I'll be using different controllers/modes game to game.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Olivil posted:

To whoever watched the BoTW making of videos, are they spoilery? Haven't played the game yet but I'd like to watch them.

Not at all.

edit: Actually.....maybe a liiiiittle if you consider showing off some creative combat techniques to be spoilers. But story wise? Not at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't take my word for it but when I downloaded the Splatoon global whatever with my Japanese account, it showed up as purchased on my America account.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

Amazon has pro controllers gogogogogogo

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Pro-Controller/dp/B01NAWKYZ0/

I got mine with free same day delivery!

also if anyone is in a primenow city a lot of them have had controllers stocked this whole time separate from regular amazon listings primenow.amazon.com

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Don't make it a sauna, just let the room get humid.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Can you play Japanese physical games on an NA account? I honestly can't tell what will and won't work with Nintendo.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Even though I'm not a baby when it comes to spoilers, I do like seeing how people play the game with as little information about whats to come as possible. You really have to experience the game's scale first hand, and have those little experiences of wonder for your first long stretch of the game. I think there comes a point in time where you can loosen yourself up to watching BotW content though. But this is definitely, so far, not a game I'd want to look too far into without playing it yourself (though, it's such a huge game that catching a glimpse of a mid-game thing won't ruin the game, it should just inspire you to play it and expect more awesome stuff like it.) Whenever Nintendo is this proud to show off a game, you know it's got a lot to offer.

It's probably the first Zelda game where I've found some value in avoiding spoilers.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

a harpy posted:

Can you play Japanese physical games on an NA account? I honestly can't tell what will and won't work with Nintendo.

Yes.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Nephzinho posted:

The only motion control one that really frustrated me was the maze with the little ramp at the end, but I ended up just slapping the ball out of the thing entirely. I really enjoyed the minigolf one and pretty much stood up in my living room to get the right form for it. The various other rotate a block ones were fine.

Yeah, I used that exact same 'solution'. Flipped the thing upside down so it was flat and just rolled it over and gave a little flick at the end.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Thanks!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh, if you have Bomberman, you can turn off that annoying dynamic camera. The game is so much better when you do. Should have been the default option.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I didn't realize LEGO City comes out at the start of next month. Gonna have to 100% it again :getin:

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I didn't realize LEGO City comes out at the start of next month. Gonna have to 100% it again :getin:

That game is basically Grand Theft Lego, right?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Drunk Tomato posted:

That game is basically Grand Theft Lego, right?

It's a mix of every detective trope/action movie trope, GTA, and collectathon games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Well I just realized they're bringing Skyrim to Switch and I guess it's a good thing my marriage already fell apart earlier this year.

Now if only there was some way to get rid of these troublesome children...

• Locked thread