Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Freaking Crumbum posted:

sounds pretty similar to zuckerturd trying to "save" the innercity NJ schools by dumping crazy amounts of cash into their budgets, but with no other real knowledge of how education works or insight into the underlying, fundamental factors that ultimately culminate in lovely schools. big surprise the whole operation went tits up in record time and zuck hosed off back to his private Hawaiian island while all of the kids in the NJ schools continued to get hosed.

edit: it was all a false flag opp so that libertarians and conservatives could have an anecdote they could point to directly and say "see paying teachers more money doesn't improve our lovely public schools you should let us burn them all down and replace them with privatized education"

lol that's the plot of a lovely new tv show

After witnessing the murder of Elliot Sully, his CFO and friend, genius billionaire Gideon Reeves of Reeves Industries takes charge of the troubled Chicago Police 13th District and upgrades it with his company's latest technology, notably by creating the APB app that allows citizens to immediately alert the police to a crime. With the aid of patrol cop, Officer Theresa Murphy, Reeves also sets out to bring justice to his friend by finding his killer.

no it's not a comedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

After witnessing the murder of Elliot Sully, his CFO and friend, genius billionaire Gideon Reeves of Reeves Industries takes charge of the troubled Chicago Police 13th District and upgrades it with his company's latest technology, notably by creating the APB app that allows citizens to immediately alert the police to a crime. With the aid of patrol cop, Officer Theresa Murphy, Reeves also sets out to bring justice to his friend by finding his killer.

no it's not a comedy

the APB app is just a dramatized version of Everyblock lmbo

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

They should make another season of Person of Interest instead

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I remember that being described as Robocop but Dick Jones is presented as the hero

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no it's not a comedy

I mean it seems pretty realistic what with a silicon valley rear end in a top hat "inventing" something that already exists.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Plutonis posted:

I remember that being described as Robocop but Dick Jones is presented as the hero

that's pretty accurate lol

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Freaking Crumbum posted:

sounds pretty similar to zuckerturd trying to "save" the innercity NJ schools by dumping crazy amounts of cash into their budgets, but with no other real knowledge of how education works or insight into the underlying, fundamental factors that ultimately culminate in lovely schools. big surprise the whole operation went tits up in record time and zuck hosed off back to his private Hawaiian island while all of the kids in the NJ schools continued to get hosed.

edit: it was all a false flag opp so that libertarians and conservatives could have an anecdote they could point to directly and say "see paying teachers more money doesn't improve our lovely public schools you should let us burn them all down and replace them with privatized education"

I'm pretty sure like 90% of the money he donated went to a bunch of consultants and local politicians and administrators instead of people actually working for said schools, so it ended up being pretty revealing in the same manner as filling up a lovely bucket and seeing where the leaks came from

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Fullhouse posted:

I'm pretty sure like 90% of the money he donated went to a bunch of consultants and local politicians and administrators instead of people actually working for said schools, so it ended up being pretty revealing in the same manner as filling up a lovely bucket and seeing where the leaks came from

yeah, there are people who have investigated the whole affair after the fact and they found that the money was overwhelmingly appropriated by all manner of sycophants and cronies and hangers-on and almost none of it was actually used for anything approaching the improvement of the public schools.

classic NJ poo poo like the son of a union boss who had been to jail for fraud and was legally forbidden from taking construction contracts with the state somehow ended up being the preferred bidder to repair all of the roofs in a single school district and surprise surprise the job was a clusterfuck patchwork and the guy skipped town with most of the contract money. stuff that would seem too on-the-nose if it was in a fictional work about NJ.

also Corey Booker agreed to "lend his credibility" to the whole endeavor in exchange for getting a piece of the action and that's as good a reason as any to dislike that self-aggrandizing gently caress.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Why didn't they just give the $100MM to the families whose kids go to the schools, it's no loving shock why Newark has bad schools (it's full of poor people)

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Woke brand was maybe not so woke: Thinx Promised a Feminist Utopia to Everyone But Its Employees

quote:

But behind the scenes, many current and former employees paint a picture of dysfunction and hypocrisy, with clashes between Agrawal and key members of her team, employment policies that seem to fly in the face of the company’s women-first messaging, and an increasingly volatile work environment that’s led many of those who were instrumental in creating the brand to tender their resignations. According to several sources, ten people have left the 35-person company since January, and last Thursday, Agrawal announced to the staff that she is stepping down from her role as CEO of Thinx and Icon, the “pee-proof underwear” company she also co-founded — though, she clarified in the all-hands meeting, she will still be the “SHE-E-O” (the irreverent title she employs in most external communication) and face of the brands. Meanwhile, the board of directors is actively looking for a “professional CEO” to fill the role.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

call to action posted:

Why didn't they just give the $100MM to the families whose kids go to the schools, it's no loving shock why Newark has bad schools (it's full of poor people)

They'd just spend it all on cigarettes and lottery tickets like all poor people duh

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

They'd just spend it all on cigarettes and lottery tickets like all poor people duh

The market knows best!

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I love how the article gets a dig in at *white men* even though nearly all the employees and the people who gave them a raise were women

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

The thing you learn if you hang out around startups for longer than, ohh, 15-20 minutes, is there's tons of people out there who might have a halfway decent business idea but are horrendously bad at running a company. Many of them are also insufferable assholes.

Then there's about 10x that number of people who are also like that but without the good business idea.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Plutonis posted:

That was me. It was a real bad show

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

It kind of is a cool commentary on the state of culture to see how corporate guys in movies and shows from the 80s were pretty much always assholes and villains but are now presented as heroes

I mean sure you have evil corporate guys, but their being evil usually stems from them opposing the hero corporate guy

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Like if Aliens were made today, Weyland-Yutani would be the bad guys for trying to screw Ripley out of her dibs on weaponizing the xenomorphs

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
"I call it predtr" it's tinder, for Yautja!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Brown Menace posted:

It kind of is a cool commentary on the state of culture to see how corporate guys in movies and shows from the 80s were pretty much always assholes and villains but are now presented as heroes

I mean sure you have evil corporate guys, but their being evil usually stems from them opposing the hero corporate guy

i like that in scooby doo the bad guy was always a real estate developer

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i think i posted one of their ads on the NYC subway in this thread, they're as bad as the operation that they run

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

call to action posted:

Why didn't they just give the $100MM to the families whose kids go to the schools, it's no loving shock why Newark has bad schools (it's in New Jersey)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i like that in scooby doo the bad guy was always a real estate developer

Fred: All right Gang, let's see who the Ghost of Pancho Villa really is. *pulls mask off*
Daphne: It's President Donald Trump!
Velma: Of course! By haunting the US/Mexico Border, he made the demand for a border wall to rise, a border wall to be built by his own company.
Donald Trump: It was a great plan, it was the best plan, simply the best plan and I would have gotten away with it if it were not those meddling kids. Sad!
Scooby: Scooby Dooby Doo!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

get that OUT of my face posted:

i think i posted one of their ads on the NYC subway in this thread, they're as bad as the operation that they run

you think their ads are bad? their PR emails they send to news outlets are worse (CAUTION: it's Jezebel): http://jezebel.com/a-celebration-of-the-beautiful-lightly-deranged-pr-ema-1784978795

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Jezebel is good tho their comments can be very bad.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Troy Queef posted:

you think their ads are bad? their PR emails they send to news outlets are worse (CAUTION: it's Jezebel): http://jezebel.com/a-celebration-of-the-beautiful-lightly-deranged-pr-ema-1784978795

AHAHAHAH they loving gave a 34% discount to celebrate women getting paid 78% as much, oh my loving god I'm dying over here

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

an actual dog posted:

Jezebel is good tho their comments can be very bad.

this ironic fakeposting is getting out of control

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I also miss Gawker a LOT

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Lena Dunham hates Jezebel and specifically made Lenny Letter as an anti-Jezebel

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

my favorite gawker trial moment was when hulk hogan was forced to admit in court that he, terry bolea, the person, does not have as big a penis as hulk hogan, the character

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

those are the exact same style as the subway ads, except longer (and therefore worse)

an actual dog posted:

well they're both for white feminists, so in a sense, she failed

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Retroactively the reason this thread was created:

http://nymag.com/selectall/2017/03/mcdonalds-deletes-anti-trump-tweet-making-fun-of-his-hands.html?mid=twitter_selectall

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hello Fellow Progressives, let us all buy the new Jumbo MacTM and defy Donald Trump

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

an actual dog posted:

So liberals can splinter just like leftist.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

trump is good now

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

THat imaeg and this one side-by-side

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

MizPiz posted:

So liberals can splinter just like leftist.

I mean you can see this in d&d. Once all of the Bernard brothers and Trumpsters stopped posting in the UsPol threads theyd start cannibalizing each other in a quest to find out who is the most oppressed minority

This ended up with someone doing a paper bag test on himself once

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
its white people. white people are most oppressed.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Business Gorillas posted:

I mean you can see this in d&d. Once all of the Bernard brothers and Trumpsters stopped posting in the UsPol threads theyd start cannibalizing each other in a quest to find out who is the most oppressed minority

This ended up with someone doing a paper bag test on himself once

feminist groups tend to have this happen too

just a race to the bottom to see who The Most Correct is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

i guess the difference is that at least leftists fight over which system they believe will improve things the most

like what exactly gets settled or done once liberals have hashed out who has it the worst

ok black/lgbt/latino people or whatever have it worst. now what