Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

JBP posted:

Do PHON support nuclear power or are they nimby on it?

They literally do not mention it, even in their Energy policy which is really just Malcolm Roberts regurgitating his brain. Surprise surprise, the media have never asked a question about it, and the only googling results I got was an antinuclear group mentioning PHON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
The Turnbull government has refused to back an international investigation into atrocities against Rohingya Muslims despite a motion passed in the Senate urging Australia to call for a United Nations commission of inquiry.

Australia's statement at the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva called for Myanmar to conduct its own investigation with international help into what the UN says could amount to ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity in the country's western Rakhine state, home to more than one million Rohingya.

But Yanghee Lee, the United Nations special envoy for Myanmar, called for a UN inquiry, the strongest form of intervention the council could take, citing evidence that Myanmar may be seeking to "expel" all ethnic Rohingya from the country where they have been living for generations.

"I heard allegation after allegation of horrific events like these – slitting of throats, indiscriminate shootings, setting alight houses with people tied up inside and throwing very young people into the fire, as well as gang rapes and other sexual violence," Ms Lee told the 47-member council.

Human rights groups condemned what they called Australia's weak position at the council, describing already established investigations into the violence by Myanmar as a whitewash.

Htin Lynn, Myanmar's representative in Geneva, rejected any form of international inquiry and dismissed claims of crimes against humanity as "unverified, intentional and one sided".

He said his government is seriously "addressing" the allegations.

In its statement Australia referred to the "scale and complexity of the transition" that Myanmar is undergoing and acknowledged "positive steps" taken by its government since taking office in April last year.

The statement said that while Australia is "deeply concerned" by evidence of serious human rights abuses affecting Muslim communities in Rakhine, Canberra "considers a collaborative approach is the best way to help Myanmar address its human rights challenges, and we remain ready to work with Myanmar in this regard".

"We encourage Myanmar to continue its cooperation with relevant international human rights mechanisms," it said.
On February 16, Australian senators passed a Greens motion without division calling on Myanmar to assert the religious and ethnic equality of all of its people, including Rohingya, and urging the Australian government to consider pushing for a UN commission of inquiry into abuses in the Buddhist-majority country.

Scott Ludlam, who proposed the motion, described what was happening to Rohingya as "devastating".

Australia's human rights policy has literally been at sea for so long with refugee boats that Canberra seems to now instinctively adopt the preferred policy of rights violating Asian nations.

Emily Howie, director of advocacy and research at Australia's Human Rights Law Centre, told Fairfax Media the wording of Australia's statement in Geneva was "hopelessly weak" and "sweeps under the carpet" the country's crimes against humanity, "no doubt reflecting the Australian trade interests."

She said Australia's position is a "real shame and sits uneasily with the serious concern showed by the Senate across all parties, including the government."

Ms Howie said Australia's position also belies how ill-prepared the Turnbull government is to take a seat on the council.

Australia has been campaigning for a two year term, starting in 2018.

"If Australia acts like this when it sits on the council, its action would have real human consequences … it would be leaving thousands of victims to continue to suffer crimes against humanity without a good faith attempt to stop it," she said.

Phil Robertson, deputy Asia director at Human Rights Watch, said during the Geneva negotiations Australia was relegated to a corner as countries like the United States, European Union and even Bangladesh called for an international investigation.

"Australia's human rights policy has literally been at sea for so long with refugee boats that Canberra seems to now instinctively adopt the preferred policy of rights violating Asian nations," he said.

Almost 80,000 Rohingya have fled Rakhine for refugee camps at the Bangladesh border since October when Myanmar's military launched a crackdown following attacks on police posts during which nine policemen were killed.

Rohingya are denied basic rights in Rakhine, including citizenship.

The UN Human Rights Council is expected to vote in late March on the human rights situation in Myanmar, which is also called Burma.

A draft resolution being negotiated includes the establishment of a UN inquiry into "gross human rights violations by the military and security forces" in Rakhine after October 9 last year.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Something something stones and glass houses.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
that Daisy Cousins piece :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Did they bang though?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Did they bang though?
If they did it would explain why Caleb Bond killed Leak.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Canberra "considers a collaborative approach is the best way to help Myanmar address its human rights challenges, and we remain ready to work with Myanmar in this regard".

What an absolutely loving vile sentence. Imagine being the wonk paid to carefully draft bland statements about human rights "challenges" while people are getting gang-raped and watching their children be burned alive.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

freebooter posted:

What an absolutely loving vile sentence. Imagine being the wonk paid to carefully draft bland statements about human rights "challenges" while people are getting gang-raped and watching their children be burned alive.

Just following orders m80

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Also as others have pointed out the Caleb/Daisy thing is a really good example of how the right-wing press is propped up by big money, you cannot imagine any young writers on the left getting paid to write poo poo that monumentally bad

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Simple words, but he could sense my despair and confusion behind them. He paused. “I can, Sonic,” he began. He did not shy away. This experience was such that it shrouded his every moment. “Have you heard of Planet Freedom? "

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

HMMMMMMMMM

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://shesaid.com/author/daisycousens/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
A former Liberal Party MP championed by Tony Abbott has accused the former prime minister of disloyalty and says his description of her "sex appeal" damaged her credibility.

Fiona Scott, who narrowly lost the Sydney seat of Lindsay last year, also accused the Liberal Party of refusing to give her election resources because it was relying on polling that wrongly indicated she was winning easily...

Once she got to Canberra, some male Liberals didn't take her seriously because of the description, she said, which offended her close female relatives. "To be sexually objectified really upset my mum," she said.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

A former Liberal Party MP championed by Tony Abbott has accused the former prime minister of disloyalty and says his description of her "sex appeal" damaged her credibility.

Fiona Scott, who narrowly lost the Sydney seat of Lindsay last year, also accused the Liberal Party of refusing to give her election resources because it was relying on polling that wrongly indicated she was winning easily...

Once she got to Canberra, some male Liberals didn't take her seriously because of the description, she said, which offended her close female relatives. "To be sexually objectified really upset my mum," she said.

something something leopard party something something didn't expect to get attacked by leopard

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

The Turnbull government has refused to back an international investigation into atrocities against Rohingya Muslims despite a motion passed in the Senate urging Australia to call for a United Nations commission of inquiry.

to be fair, i don't think any other countries back an independent investigation; so it's not just us who are enabling genocide, it's everyone :peanut:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

BBJoey posted:

to be fair, i don't think any other countries back an independent investigation; so it's not just us who are enabling genocide, it's everyone :peanut:

quote:

Phil Robertson, deputy Asia director at Human Rights Watch, said during the Geneva negotiations Australia was relegated to a corner as countries like the United States, European Union and even Bangladesh called for an international investigation.

:shrug:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ewe2 posted:

I'll just leave a paste of a Chris Kenny footnote here

Also Daisy has been deleting her tweets about the Spectator article, so she must have had smacksies from Rowan.
Another example of the radical left shutting down sensible political debate.

BBJoey posted:

BBJoey in being utterly wrong shock development.

That statement is as near to pure distilled inhumanity as you can manufacture. "We look forward to cooperating with Herr Hitler on his 'final solution' ".

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

freebooter posted:

Also as others have pointed out the Caleb/Daisy thing is a really good example of how the right-wing press is propped up by big money, you cannot imagine any young writers on the left getting paid to write poo poo that monumentally bad

I wonder if it's just a matter of supply. Lots of people want to write vaguely leftish pieces and competition for paid work is fierce, writing slashfic about Bill Leak must be a pretty uncontested space.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

quote:

The ABC understands at least 600 workers have been stood down from the $36 billion Inpex gas project in Darwin.

It is understood a contractual dispute between Kawasaki Heavy Industries and Laing O'Rouke is at the centre of the lay-offs.

Laing O'Rouke has the contract to build cryogenic tanks at the Inpex site on behalf of Kawasaki Heavy Industries.

It is one of the largest contracts on the project, which the ABC understands Laing O'Rouke has withdrawn from over the dispute.

Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union (CFMEU) spokesman Josh Burling told the ABC he received a phone call early this morning from a Laing O'Rourke representative confirming the layoffs.

"They will be making about 650 direct employees from Laing O'Rouke and a further 200 employees from subcontractors to Laing O'Rourke redundant from the tanks project at Inpex," Mr Burling said.

More to come.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-15/hundreds-of-workers-stood-down-at-$36-billion-inpex-gas-project/8355386

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

Malcolm Turnbull has warned that gas companies risk their “social licence” to operate without reservation quotas if they fail to supply Australian domestic industry.

Turnbull made the comments at a doorstop in Canberra before his meeting with the gas companies on Wednesday aimed to force them to increase domestic supply.

It comes as the energy and environment minister, Josh Frydenberg, has supported South Australia’s plan to incentivise landowners to accept development of gas resources. He also suggested gas companies should release more supply to the domestic market without a reservation policy.

When asked about imposing a reservation policy, Turnbull said the federal government had “considerable power” to control exports, but said his aim was to “ensure we have action from the gas companies”.

“The gas companies – I have no doubt – are very well aware they operate with the benefit of a social licence from the Australian people.

“And they cannot expect to maintain that if while billions of dollars of gas are being exported, Australians are left short.”

Earlier on Radio National, Frydenberg said Turnbull would tell gas companies the government wanted them to produce more gas for the domestic market, including by developing their untapped reserves faster.

Frydenberg said prices had increased due to increased export of liquid natural gas, less investment in exploration due to low oil prices, and gas moratoria in several states.

But the increases had not been sufficient to incentivise development of reserves, which Frydenberg said amounted to 180 years’ supply in the Northern Territory and 40 in Victoria.

Asked about potential shortages next summer, Frydenberg noted the companies had existing supplies that they could release into the domestic market in the meantime.

Frydenberg said gas reservation is a “double-edged sword” that could increase supplies in the short term but decrease incentives to invest in exploration and extraction.

Asked if he supported a gas reservation policy, Frydenberg said he was not backing the idea because the government “wants industry to lead”.

The comments suggests that Turnbull, who has so far not ruled out a gas reservation policy, is wielding the possibility as a threat to force gas companies to take action without further regulation.

Frydenberg said he was “very concerned” about South Australia’s plan to give its energy minister powers to direct the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) to control flow on the South Australia’s interconnector.

The federal minister is seeking advice about whether that plank of the policy is in breach of market rules.

He said the national energy market rules “do need to be reformed” and the government was working with the Australian Energy Market Commission on changes, like setting prices on a five-minute, not 30-minute, period which would encourage more battery storage.

Frydenberg said it was “unfortunate” that South Australia had acted ahead of reviews of the rules, including the Finkel review of energy security.

But Frydenberg praised South Australia’s decision to “incentivise landowners to get more of the pie when they develop the gas reserves on their land”, and encouraging more battery storage.

“What we don’t want to see is the national market fragment by states taking ... decisions in their own jurisdictions which could be to the detriment of other jurisdictions.”

The South Australian premier, Jay Weatherill, told Radio National his plan gave the energy minister easier access to emergency powers which already exist as part of market rules.

“We have to go through a lengthy bureaucratic process ... and have a state of emergency existing before we can act. This is to act before an emergency occurs.

“We had this absurd situation on the 8th of February when everybody knew a heatwave was coming that the Australian Energy Market Operator chose to black out South Australians rather than turn on Pelican Point gas-fired power station.”

Weatherill said that was “unacceptable” and the national electricity market was “broken”.

Weatherill said the new powers would overcome “market power concentrated in the hands of a few companies” that were used “to screw” South Australian consumers by limiting power supplies to increase prices.

Weatherill blamed the Abbott and Turnbull governments for national energy shortages, saying the abolition of a carbon price had resulted in an “investment strike” that had pushed up the price of energy by under-investment in generation.

Come on gas companies, we're counting on you! Do it for Australia.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

open24hours posted:

If only the government had the power to legislate things like this rather than just bank on the good will of big businesses.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I think you'd find that would lead to the unfortunate consequence of gas companies having to follow the regulation.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Paying market rates for gas does seem pretty reasonable. In a perfect, or at least better, world this would lead to more investment in renewables rather than threatening to interfere in the gas market.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 15, 2017

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Advertiser, the last six months probably: "C'mon Weatherill, do something about the power outages you useless lefty fuckstick"

The Advertiser, today: "Weatherill's doing something about power but it's going to coooooooooost mooooooooooooooooooney :qq: :qq: :qq: "

Seriously, the headline is "Weatherill's Power Bill to South Australians" when it should be "The cost of privatising our electricity grid in the 90's"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
https://twitter.com/LucyXIV/status/841750535107616768

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

open24hours posted:

lol as if corporations have some sort of social obligation. That's funny Mal, funny.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

lol as if corporations have some sort of social obligation. That's funny Mal, funny.

All those noble corporations, running based on the invisible hand of social responsibility!

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

can you please refrain from posting tweets from users who use gendered slurs, i visited this lady's feed and had a seizure

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/15/wayne-swan-calls-for-public-sector-expansion-to-push-economy-to-full-employment

Governments must be prepared to expand the size of the public sector and employ more people directly as part of pushing the Australian economy to full employment, according to the former Labor treasurer, Wayne Swan.

Swan will use a speech in Adelaide on Wednesday to argue that full employment needs to be an active strategy for governments, not a passive one.

Wednesday’s intervention is part of efforts Swan is spearheading to generate community discussion about the concept of inclusive growth, and also challenge his party to develop a more overtly progressive policy platform for the next federal election to appeal to disaffected low and middle income voters currently being courted by Pauline Hanson and other protest parties.

The former treasurer will use a speech he will deliver at Flinders University to argue governments need to embrace the use of fiscal policy “to get to and stay at full employment”.

“To reverse the squeeze on middle incomes and to power economic growth, the case to boost public investment through the use of active fiscal policy is irrefutable,” he will say.

“Pushing the economy back to full employment would restore the bargaining power of workers and repair the broken link between labour productivity and wages.

“And when we talk about full employment we’re talking about secure ongoing jobs.”

He says that means governments providing more than job training. “Governments must not only direct their emphasis on job training and reskilling initiatives but must also be willing to contemplate more ambitious programs of public investment and direct employment.”

The former Labor treasurer used a speech at the Australian Workers’ Union national conference at the beginning of the month to argue the opposition needed to put rising inequality at the heart of its agenda for the next federal election – and also consider whether a “Buffett rule” should be part of the policy mix.

Swan was the first figure from the Labor right faction to validate the debate, which thus far has been pursued by left faction figures.

Neither the Labor leader, Bill Shorten, nor the shadow treasurer, Chris Bowen, are keen on the “Buffett rule” concept.

Shorten recently told a town hall meeting in Canberra reforming negative gearing was a more effective redistributive mechanism than making wealthy people pay a minimum share of tax.

This week’s Guardian Essential Poll suggests, however, that the concept would be popular. The poll found a clear majority of voters would support a range of tax increases, including a Buffett rule.

Swan insists the Labor party needs to give the “Buffet rule” serious consideration.

He will acknowledge on Wednesday Shorten’s analytical point on negative gearing, but argue Labor needs to do more. “Labor’s decision to scale back negative gearing for future investments and tackle capital gains concessions is a critical part of making our tax system fairer.

“This is a good start but we do need a through discussion of a Buffet rule to give people confidence that wealthy individuals are paying their fair share.

“On the corporate tax side we need strong action against transfer pricing and debt dumping and we need to fix the petroleum resources rent tax.

“Both sets of measures would go a long way towards repairing our budget bottom line.”

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wayne Swan, the treasurer that Australia didn't deserve.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
The new version has a pile of weird grammatical errors that reek of someone rushing it

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
https://chuffed.org/project/centrelink-oci-correspondence-foi

Some bloke did an FOI request for info about his previous FOI requests to Human Services/Centrelink.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

You Am I posted:

If noble largesse was a real thing then people would have been satisfied with their lives to the point that violent worker revolutions and unionisation wouldn't have happened.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I like how Swan got his rear end beat for the half assed mining tax and came back from excile as a god-drat communist.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Bogan King posted:

If noble largesse was a real thing then people would have been satisfied with their lives to the point that violent worker revolutions and unionisation wouldn't have happened.

Noblesse oblige?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Mr Chips posted:

https://chuffed.org/project/centrelink-oci-correspondence-foi

Some bloke did an FOI request for info about his previous FOI requests to Human Services/Centrelink.

They remembered the ring!!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The answer is 200 houses

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

That's the one

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Is the canary dying in the coal mine from Black Lung disease - Hundreds of new home owners have been left in limbo after the collapse of a land developer in Melbourne's outer north-west.

Now it sounds like the developer is getting out with the money before they have to build all the useless stuff- schools, infrastructure, parks etc. But it's the second one to do that in 2 months. And the articles trying to get Superannuation to pay for housing are increasing in numbers and tone - indicating the money to increase housing prices is almost tapped out.

However, I've been wrong about the housing price collapse for 5 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

I is used 73 times

Bill is 18 times

Edit: also lol Caleb is cut

Lid fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 15, 2017

• Locked thread