Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

John himself has said that nobody has been able to adequately explain it to him so it's entirely possible that nobody knows.

For some reason the latest season videos on YouTube are not visible outside the US now, which wasn't the case for previous seasons.

I would imagine product placement probably helps a lot. At least for shows that take place in the modern day. Kind of hard to shove a smartphone into Game of Thrones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

notthegoatseguy posted:

I would imagine product placement probably helps a lot. At least for shows that take place in the modern day. Kind of hard to shove a smartphone into Game of Thrones.

Samsung: When it isn't on fire and trying to murder you, it is spying on you. For paranoid people in your life that you want to validate.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Every news/"news" show I watch goes up on Youtube right after it airs and nobody ever takes them down. I think the general idea is that since it's "news" they don't lose much by people watching it a few days/weeks later because by then some new apocashitstorm has happened.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LWT just helps with HBO mindshare.

HBO operates under the same model as Netflix. LWT just helps the general HBO brand even if they are essentially giving away the content for free.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

These days I am sure HBO is basing its decisions primarily on its on-demand/online viewership, rather than cable viewers, since normal TV is now a vast wasteland.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Azhais posted:

Everyone knows it was the Germans
Hey now I'm part german, I resemble that remark. Watch your mouth

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Grinning Goblin posted:

Samsung: When it isn't on fire and trying to murder you, it is spying on you. For paranoid people in your life that you want to validate.

What if the exploding phones and washing machines were supposed to be shipments headed out to ISIS leaders and Iraqi dissidents, and they just mixed up their FedEx tags?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Double-post

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

LWT just helps with HBO mindshare.

HBO operates under the same model as Netflix. LWT just helps the general HBO brand even if they are essentially giving away the content for free.

Yeah, I imagine they probably see LWT more as advertising rather than premium content. It's not quite popular enough that people are going to subscribe to HBO specifically to watch it, but because it's a topical show it spreads very quickly via word of mouth and various "John Oliver DESTROYS (subject) on Last Week Tonight" clickbait articles.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I dunno, Sam Bee kills him on viral clip-shares according to my social media feed.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

coyo7e posted:

I dunno, Sam Bee kills him on viral clip-shares according to my social media feed.

Anecdotally, I don't think I've ever seen a Samantha Bee clip and my 1,000+ friends are all super duper liberal.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

IRQ posted:

Well their problem is that they put themselves in this mess, because "who would have thought healthcare would be complicated?!"

To lower people's premiums you need to do one of two things, subsidize healthcare costs in some way (the sane way is single payer, the unsustainable dumb way is the mandate), or cut costs but not covering sick and poor people. As republicans, the former is anathema, and as it turns out, taking away healthcare makes people angry.

So it's pretty much what was predicted 7 years ago. People will come to like obamacare once they have healthcare and it becomes a real shitshow for republicans now that they can actually repeal it like they said they wanted to.

Their real handicap is that they're using budgetary reconciliation so they're really limited in what they can do. If they were to make an actual big boy law there would be way more wiggle room to hide the horrible poo poo under nice sounding things that let you lie with a plausibly straight face. Of course then it has to be more than 60 pages, requires an actual expenditure of time, and is now handicapped by their gently caress up in trying to use budgetary tricks to kill the white whale named ACA. Using the method they are, there's really not much they can do other than tax credits and middle fingers to grandma.

There's a huge problem in that nobody is going to be happy if they can't get healthcare. That's definitely an issue that's going to be hard to overcome, but it's probably doable if they have an occupant in the Bully Pulpit who isn't a total loving idiot who goes out of their way to piss off 50-60% of the country daily.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

For some reason the latest season videos on YouTube are not visible outside the US now, which wasn't the case for previous seasons.

They still post the main segment on Facebook and that's not region limited though

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bust Rodd posted:

Anecdotally, I don't think I've ever seen a Samantha Bee clip and my 1,000+ friends are all super duper liberal.
You didn't even see that Milk video?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

They still post the main segment on Facebook and that's not region limited though

Yeah I don't really get it. The Putin video is the only one of the new season that works for me on YouTube without a proxy. Why that one works and the others don't? Who knows. And all the older season videos also still work fine.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
HBO Now is finally a thing, and lots of people who hate cable are perfectly happy to pay for HBO. It's the brand and the library. I have no idea what the movie library looks like, but between Sopranos, Sex and the City, and The Wire, I see a ton of people happy to drop :10bux: to spend a month on any one of those shows and, say, wondering what's up with this Game of Thrones Westworld Veep business.

I love that they do have Maher and Oliver, and saying that they carry the weak original content just says everything about the rest of the slate (but gently caress Girls anyway).

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Propaganda Machine posted:

HBO Now is finally a thing, and lots of people who hate cable are perfectly happy to pay for HBO. It's the brand and the library. I have no idea what the movie library looks like, but between Sopranos, Sex and the City, and The Wire, I see a ton of people happy to drop :10bux: to spend a month on any one of those shows and, say, wondering what's up with this Game of Thrones Westworld Veep business.

I love that they do have Maher and Oliver, and saying that they carry the weak original content just says everything about the rest of the slate (but gently caress Girls anyway).

Girls is legit good for Ray alone.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I see Ray around in my neighborhood all the time. I don't need to suffer Lena Dunham's piss poor writing for it, but I accept both your point and my personal privilege.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

nuff said

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The Cheshire Cat posted:

John himself has said that nobody has been able to adequately explain it to him so it's entirely possible that nobody knows.

This can't be good for stress.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Yeah, I do HBO Now and its great. The catalogue isn't as large as Netflix, but its overall quality is great. Tons of movies and all the HBO shows past and present. The other thing thats cool is the turn around time. LWT is usually up on HBO Now around midnight (or before, I usually dont check until then and its up).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

swickles posted:

Yeah, I do HBO Now and its great. The catalogue isn't as large as Netflix, but its overall quality is great. Tons of movies and all the HBO shows past and present. The other thing thats cool is the turn around time. LWT is usually up on HBO Now around midnight (or before, I usually dont check until then and its up).

HBO stuff goes up on Now/Go the second it starts airing on the cable channel.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this! posted:

HBO stuff goes up on Now/Go the second it starts airing on the cable channel.

That is the case with every show except for LWT, presumably because they go from final cut to air much faster than any other HBO show.

Also Real Time with Bill Maher, that one's live so doubly so

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mr. Fowl posted:

This can't be good for stress.
I'm looking forward to when netflix begins airing "live" daily shows for stuff like LWT etc. Then they will be an actual TV network.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That NBC news segment about the KILLER WASHING MACHINE gave me ADD. What's with the loving crash-zooms, sudden cuts to black and white and camera shakes and tilts in the goddamn news?

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Huh? Here in Finland I can see them just fine at least. Unless the US has the entire show on Youtube, instead of just roughly twenty minute clips.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Azhais posted:

Everyone knows it was the Germans
Forget it, he's rolling

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

timp posted:

That is the case with every show except for LWT, presumably because they go from final cut to air much faster than any other HBO show.

Also Real Time with Bill Maher, that one's live so doubly so

Yeah, thats why I said most of the time. There have been a few times where it wasnt up until after 1.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Stare-Out posted:

That NBC news segment about the KILLER WASHING MACHINE gave me ADD. What's with the loving crash-zooms, sudden cuts to black and white and camera shakes and tilts in the goddamn news?

Trying like hell to make a boring story something you'll keep watching?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Stare-Out posted:

To be fair to the rest of the NBC News division, that was a segment from the Today Show, and to be fair to the entire rest of the Today Show, that was a regular feature by Jeff Rossen, "Rossen Reports," a guy who obnoxiously files a consumer alert report every week by going and doing whatever the thing is (escaping from a flooding car for example.) It's a good enough idea but, uh, the presentation leaves something to be desired, as you can see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0-pZtVsCcY

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know how shows or movies do that joke where it's like "Welcome to the 11 o'clock news. Aliens have invaded and there's one sure way to stop them. Stay tuned to learn how... after this break"

That's actually not even an exaggeration, that's how TV news used to work. And everything was framed like a clickbait article. "Want to know what one thing you're probably sitting near right now could blow up your home at any minute? Find out after this segment on puppies"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

precision posted:

You know how shows or movies do that joke where it's like "Welcome to the 11 o'clock news. Aliens have invaded and there's one sure way to stop them. Stay tuned to learn how... after this break"

That's actually not even an exaggeration, that's how TV news used to work. And everything was framed like a clickbait article. "Want to know what one thing you're probably sitting near right now could blow up your home at any minute? Find out after this segment on puppies"

This actually makes me think of when I first learned of this tactic. There was an NES game called.Rampage where play either a King Kong or Godzilla type monster and have to destroy a city. In between each level, they had a little media cutscene (if you could call it that, this was NES afterall) and they would say things like "monster destroys city! Film at 11." I had no idea what film at 11 meant so I asked my mom and she said thats how the news got people to watch, by promising a video or information that sounds more important than it is. So yeah, news has always employed these tactics for as long as it has existed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

precision posted:

That's actually not even an exaggeration, that's how TV news used to work.

USED to?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The key word is now "work"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

swickles posted:

I had no idea what film at 11 meant so I asked my mom and she said thats how the news got people to watch, by promising a video or information that sounds more important than it is. So yeah, news has always employed these tactics for as long as it has existed.

Back when TV shows were either broadcast live or recorded on 16mm film it actually took them a while to develop and edit any footage they shot out on location so if a newsworthy event happened in the afternoon they genuinely wouldn't have the footage ready for broadcast when the evening news aired and would only be able to screen it in the late news, so the "film at 11" thing started out due to genuine limitations of their broadcast technology. It was later when they moved to video technology and could broadcast anything pretty much immediately from anywhere that the "film at 11" hook was turned into a marketing ploy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

oldskool posted:

The key word is now "work"

I'm sure plenty of older people still clutch at their pearls and raptly wait to see what common household item is going to murder them in their sleep.

I'm sure it's way less now that most people are either so tuned out they get their news from facetweets snapwalls and the others have their 24 hour cable news echo chamber of choice.

e: and with live tv watchers being an endangered species.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
With the advent of cable news, I think it's more like people are watching to find out which politician hates America today.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

pwn posted:

To be fair to the rest of the NBC News division, that was a segment from the Today Show, and to be fair to the entire rest of the Today Show, that was a regular feature by Jeff Rossen, "Rossen Reports," a guy who obnoxiously files a consumer alert report every week by going and doing whatever the thing is (escaping from a flooding car for example.) It's a good enough idea but, uh, the presentation leaves something to be desired, as you can see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0-pZtVsCcY
Basically, Ric Romero reports. It's pretty common I guess in local TV news, when people get tired of pet of the week and feel-good pieces about firefighters visiting cancer kids or some other similar bullshit.

my favorite fluff piece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L91_K-s4pMM

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Back when TV shows were either broadcast live or recorded on 16mm film it actually took them a while to develop and edit any footage they shot out on location so if a newsworthy event happened in the afternoon they genuinely wouldn't have the footage ready for broadcast when the evening news aired and would only be able to screen it in the late news, so the "film at 11" thing started out due to genuine limitations of their broadcast technology. It was later when they moved to video technology and could broadcast anything pretty much immediately from anywhere that the "film at 11" hook was turned into a marketing ploy.
Funnily, thats's exactly where the "NBC chimes" came from. https://www.20k.org/episodes-1/2016/10/31/2p162x32dmuidfce3zkfvfi5x3wefg

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 14, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

swickles posted:

This actually makes me think of when I first learned of this tactic. There was an NES game called.Rampage where play either a King Kong or Godzilla type monster and have to destroy a city. In between each level, they had a little media cutscene (if you could call it that, this was NES afterall) and they would say things like "monster destroys city! Film at 11." I had no idea what film at 11 meant so I asked my mom and she said thats how the news got people to watch, by promising a video or information that sounds more important than it is. So yeah, news has always employed these tactics for as long as it has existed.
If you only ever played the NES version of Rampage you were done a disservice, man. It was an arcade cabinet game, had WAY nicer graphics and allowed two or three people to play at the same time - you could also beat the poo poo out of other players and then eat them when they reverted to human, and basically force them to use another quarter to play again. I am pretty sure that even my copy of Nintendo Power said "yeah... This game is just nowhere near as good as the arcade version."

There was also Rampage World Tour which I think might've been on Neo Geo or something, it had slick graphics but wasn't as fun a game as the original imho. Also they couldn't put as many windows in the buildings on the NES version so the combat was a little simpler.

Arcade

NES

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

coyo7e posted:

Basically, Ric Romero reports. It's pretty common I guess in local TV news, when people get tired of pet of the week and feel-good pieces about firefighters visiting cancer kids or some other similar bullshit.

my favorite fluff piece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L91_K-s4pMM
Exactly, local news. I expect this calibre of pseudo-investigative journalism from Action StormDoppler Team News 6, not so much from NBC News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdE-WzSIGoQ

• Locked thread