Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

spankmeister posted:

You still needed a modded console to play HK silvers, they didn't include the copy protection region.

depended on the supplier, many included the copy protection region. ones that didnt tended to be sold cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

anthonypants posted:

okay but you think the FTC should itself certify products for sale in the us. do you believe that this is an attainable goal

seems more like they're saying the FTC should require certification of some kind that's aimed at security rather than physical safety

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

fishmech posted:

depended on the supplier, many included the copy protection region. ones that didnt tended to be sold cheaper.

[citation needed]

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cold on a Cob posted:

[citation needed]

citation: your local shady import shop, 2001 or so

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

3DO will also read burned discs without modification, although it's very selective about what type of burned discs it will reliably read.

Yeah, years after I'd shelved my (unmodded Panasonic) 3DO I was able to play some games on it that I could never get my hands on, "in the day", by burning them myself. Didn't know it could be picky, may have just been lucky.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

fishmech posted:

citation: your local shady import shop, 2001 or so

they would often say they would work with unmodded consoles but that was bullshit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ate all the Oreos posted:

seems more like they're saying the FTC should require certification of some kind that's aimed at security rather than physical safety

it's this, i was responding to subjunctive about how this could hypothetically fall under the FTC's mandate, shaggar also presented a solution

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

James Baud posted:

Yeah, years after I'd shelved my (unmodded Panasonic) 3DO I was able to play some games on it that I could never get my hands on, "in the day", by burning them myself. Didn't know it could be picky, may have just been lucky.

the pickiness reputation for the 3do comes from the fact that a lot of 90s/early 2000s cd burners and media were just plain lovely, and would produce discs on the edges of tolerance. it's far less of a problem with any disc you'd buy in recent years.

for the same reason, people also used to claim the sega cd and the dreamcast were picky about media.

Cold on a Cob posted:

they would often say they would work with unmodded consoles but that was bullshit

again, depends on who was supplying them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fishmech posted:

the pickiness reputation for the 3do comes from the fact that a lot of 90s/early 2000s cd burners and media were just plain lovely, and would produce discs on the edges of tolerance. it's far less of a problem with any disc you'd buy in recent years.

from experience, no. i experimented with a half dozen different brands of cdr to get my FZ-1 to read burned discs, only five years ago. the pickup will read pressed discs 100% of the time, depending on the cdr, it will either not see it as a valid disc at all or fail/reset while loading constantly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

from experience, no. i experimented with a half dozen different brands of cdr to get my FZ-1 to read burned discs, only five years ago. the pickup will read pressed discs 100% of the time, depending on the cdr, it will either not see it as a valid disc at all or fail/reset while loading constantly.

far less is not the same as no problem at all

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

how have manufacturing tolerances for CDRs and ROM lasers changed over time?

and are there any security implications for this? (suck it OSI I can stay on topic)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

fishmech posted:

again, depends on who was supplying them.

wrong. i would love for you to provide even a single example of someone even making the claim that there were hk silvers that work on an unmodded psx (and without using a swap trick) because i sure as gently caress can't find anything and definitely don't remember these existing

i do know that some people *thought* that some games were hk silvers but these were legit games, so if you're thinking of some copies of chrono cross or something that you saw back then, they were legit

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cold on a Cob posted:

wrong. i would love for you to provide even a single example of someone even making the claim that there were hk silvers that work on an unmodded psx (and without using a swap trick) because i sure as gently caress can't find anything and definitely don't remember these existing

i do know that some people *thought* that some games were hk silvers but these were legit games, so if you're thinking of some copies of chrono cross or something that you saw back then, they were legit

pretty sure the games that had labels with clear misspellings were not in fact legit products approved by Sony corporation, broheim. nevertheless we had them back then, my cousin would get them from this shady shop in Philly. he never had a modded psx and neither did i.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

fishmech posted:

pretty sure the games that had labels with clear misspellings were not in fact legit products approved by Sony corporation, broheim. nevertheless we had them back then, my cousin would get them from this shady shop in Philly. he never had a modded psx and neither did i.

bullshit. your post is the only place i have ever seen this claim made. give me one documented case of a bootleg that worked on an unmodded psx not some horseshit about how you and your uncle at nintendo did it. c'mon son.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cold on a Cob posted:

bullshit. your post is the only place i have ever seen this claim made. give me one documented case of a bootleg that worked on an unmodded psx not some horseshit about how you and your uncle at nintendo did it. c'mon son.

thats nice, but it was all over the place back then. and actually doing the thing was fairly easy with access to pressing plants

unless your allegation is that our local gamestops were secretly installing undetectable mod chips when they sold psxes or something lol

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

like a speakeasy but for virginity

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fishmech posted:

Lmao the uncle at nintendo story from nintendo kid ahahahaha

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

fishmech posted:

thats nice, but it was all over the place back then. and actually doing the thing was fairly easy with access to pressing plants

unless your allegation is that our local gamestops were secretly installing undetectable mod chips when they sold psxes or something lol

You make the claim, you produce the evidence. Especially in this thread of all threads. Any actual evidence of bootleggers pirating fully working PSX discs (wobble and all) would be cool as gently caress and a neat thing to chat about instead of this unsubstantiated garbage you're posting. Enough said.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cold on a Cob posted:

You make the claim, you produce the evidence. Especially in this thread of all threads. Any actual evidence of bootleggers pirating fully working PSX discs (wobble and all) would be cool as gently caress and a neat thing to chat about instead of this unsubstantiated garbage you're posting. Enough said.

the evidence was that we bought cheap discs for our playstations from a shady shop and some of them had clearly misprinted/misspeeled labels that couldn't have been legit. and they worked fine in unmodified playstations.

unless your allegation is that these were secretly official copies that someone faked the labels on and sold below cost for some reason i don't know what more you want. do you also not believe that the guy with the newspaper shop who carried bootleg dvds didn't do it because nobody ever wrote an article about "hey, george who runs the newspaper shop is selling pirate dvds"??

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

fishmech posted:

the evidence was that we bought cheap discs for our playstations from a shady shop and some of them had clearly misprinted/misspeeled labels that couldn't have been legit. and they worked fine in unmodified playstations.

so do you still own one of those discs?

wanna sell?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

since you're fishmech you'll have the discs to prove this then since no one else can confirm any of this

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ymgve posted:

so do you still own one of those discs?

wanna sell?

no, cuz i sold them in high school when pc psx emulation got good

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

and with that died the only evidence

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the mandela effect strikes again

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

fishmech posted:

no, cuz i sold them in high school when pc psx emulation got good
don't worry someone's had them: https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?154074-PSone-Silver-Bottom-Games/page2

quote:

quote:

Whoa, wait - you mean those HK Silver games work on unmodded systems?
Normally they don't, but lord knows what they did to the code to make it potentially work on an unmodded system. The 'Players' games that I personally experienced, were all played on a modded system at the time, so I don't know if they'd have actually worked on a real system too.

quote:

I have a factory pressed bootleg of Suikoden II, I think it was a "Players" version as that logo looks familiar. I'll hook up a system and see if it plays on an un-modded system. It was just the disc in a loose system at a thrift store, I got it because I thought it meant that the system was modded(it was as it plays CD-Rs).

quote:

I got around to testing my copy of Suikoden II on a non-modded system, it is a "Players" version and it doesn't boot up. With a CD-R game the system seems to start into the CD-Player, and with this pressed bootleg it displays a message saying "Please insert Playstation CD-ROM". I tested it on a model SCPH-1001, the earliest model available in North America.

So there you have it, the system needs to be modded for those "Players" games to work. And my disk does have Suikoden II printed on the centre ring like the copy of 2Xtreme that PapaStu described.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

spankmeister posted:

Lmao the uncle at nintendo story from nintendo kid ahahahaha

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i thought everyone and their brothers used those action replays to play their "imports"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i thought everyone and their brothers used those action replays to play their "imports"

same, or a chipped psx, but apparently not if you had the super elite secret hookups that fishmech and his cousin had that produced discs that literally the entire internet denies ever existed

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cold on a Cob posted:

same, or a chipped psx, but apparently not if you had the super elite secret hookups that fishmech and his cousin had that produced discs that literally the entire internet denies ever existed

no, the entire internet does not deny they exist lol

it wasnt anything secret either, it was some lovely game store near where my cousin lived in philly

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

fishmech posted:

no, the entire internet does not deny they exist lol

it wasnt anything secret either, it was some lovely game store near where my cousin lived in philly
well cite someone proving it works then, because i sure as hell can't find anyone who can even recall a vague rumour of this ever happening

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/841708655934226432?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

well cite someone proving it works then, because i sure as hell can't find anyone who can even recall a vague rumour of this ever happening

my experience with buying bootleg games for several years, hth.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

was their defense "don't kink shame"

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
we get it, you vibe

Jewel
May 2, 2009

:owned:

https://twitter.com/JulianAssange/status/841633864049135616

In case he deletes it:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
did anyone post this one yesterday http://www.zdnet.com/article/leaked-us-military-files-exposed/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

holy poo poo. this seems like it should be bigger news

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

holy poo poo. this seems like it should be bigger news

there might have been another disclosure right around then

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

roughly, something mandating ongoing manufacturer support and minimum levels of security for internet connected devices.

e.g. your fridge/stove/babymonitor/drone/doorbell connects to the internet in any fashion then you have to provide security updates for x number of years for any discovered vulnerabilities and it has to have some basic level of authenticated access, no hard coded root passwords, etc.

have really basic pen testing certification requirement, like a CE mark

I'd be down with that just because it would cover the world of cheap Android tablets and Radio Shack wifi devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

this would be big news except the OPM already leaked all of this poo poo and more like 3 years ago

e: although i guess that data didn't end up publically on the internet so welp

• Locked thread