Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

This thread is so easy to troll and is apparently physically incapable of identifying a shitpost and run and then not responding to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This thread is so easy to troll and is apparently physically incapable of identifying a shitpost and run and then not responding to it.

There's actually legit criticism that I agree with in it. :shrug:

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Lifeglug posted:

I thought the purpose of them was to stake a claim to an area but as you grow your empire and colonise planets, you decomission them as their expanded border isn't needed.

I wish I could see what my borders will become when I get rid of a station. As it is now I keep them way too long, just to be sure I don't lose any important systems.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I only make outposts to claim systems for terraforming. 90% of border expansion is via colonization. Sometimes outposts are good for grabbing that ring world you found near your starting system, or to close off the huge hilarious bottleneck that will see you having the only access to an entire spiral arm.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

And calling dibs on any planet near another Empire's border that would potentially grab it before you can afford to colonize it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, never colonize planets already within your borders, even if they're juicy planets. Colonize that size 15 planet near a neighbour before you colonize that size 24 paradise next to your home world. Expand as far as you can then backfill once you've claimed as much as you feel you can defend.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

You can also use them to push another empire's borders back far enough to steal a colonisable planet sitting just within their territory, then maybe even grab some additional planets from deeper within their territory once you've finished colonising that one.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Chalks posted:

You can also use them to push another empire's borders back far enough to steal a colonisable planet sitting just within their territory, then maybe even grab some additional planets from deeper within their territory once you've finished colonising that one.
I like that the AI gets pissed off when you do this. I think it's just the border pressure mallus being dialled up to max but it feels natural.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've had AI tell me "hey, that planet is too close to the border for comfort, please buzz off"

To which I've said no, and then nothing happened, because we were surrounded by purifiers and other xenophobes and the AI was making GBS threads their pants about it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vadoc posted:

And calling dibs on any planet near another Empire's border that would potentially grab it before you can afford to colonize it.

And in the early game, calling dibs on any planet near another Empire's border even if you can't colonize it, just to hem them in.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Lifeglug posted:

Likewise, I'm so bad at this game but love watching people play it and really want to get better. The user interface is so loving frustrating though it drives me insane.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WMain00 posted:

I NEED MORE SPACE FOR MY CITIES!

*bulldozes the Alps*

You say that as if shoveling the alps into the med isn't the logical way to get more lebensraum, for your space nazi empire.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

fondue posted:

Likewise, I'm so bad at this game but love watching people play it and really want to get better. The user interface is so loving frustrating though it drives me insane.

Apparently 1.5 will fix some of the more annoying issues, like getting a loving fleet selection window to not loving close when loving scrolling because the mouse pointer went a pixel beyond the Permitted Zone.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Aethernet posted:

Apparently 1.5 will fix some of the more annoying issues, like getting a loving fleet selection window to not loving close when loving scrolling because the mouse pointer went a pixel beyond the Permitted Zone.

Thank Christ.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pigbuster posted:

This is a little odd to me; I don't really see aliens declare closed borders unless I go out of my way to piss them off or if they're xenophobes. Borders are open by default now so you'd need to have really bad luck for everyone to close them.

I mean they all close them to me but maybe that's because I picked repugnant militarist xenophobe despots who hate everyone and who like invading primitives for their land.

If you build your species to be dickheads the galaxy will treat you like it.

Truga posted:

I've had AI tell me "hey, that planet is too close to the border for comfort, please buzz off"

To which I've said no, and then nothing happened, because we were surrounded by purifiers and other xenophobes and the AI was making GBS threads their pants about it.

What would they suggest you do about it given that you can't decolonize a planet other than by exterminating everyone on it?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 14, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

fondue posted:

yeah there are a lot of things that need to be fixed with the UI

at the top of my list currently would be that either it should be easier to get to and build spaceport stuff (including ships) at sector planets, or you shouldn't be able to do it at all

e: also more generally it should be harder to accidentally end up on the opposite side of the galaxy from whatever you were trying to examine. this is especially bad when giving a ship orders to move to a specific place in a different system

Jeb Bush 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 14, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lifeglug posted:

I hear "I can't expand and everyone hates me", my immediate thought is "no rivalries". Rivalries are absolutely vital to expansion and diplomacy but they're almost invisible user feedback wise. "I've got no colonies" -> blowing all your green research on researching empires. The game actively tells you to do this. I effort posted a response to that post because even if it was a complete troll it is 100% in line with my first experiences trying to play this game, except I also took collectivist because I didn't read the description properly and spent at least two games wondering why I kept being yelled at for slavery despite not owning any slaves :v:

e: oh and I stuck it out past the no colonies stages and spent many more games wondering why my research sucked.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 14, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
At least colony ships are going to be a starting thing now. That should solve a lot of the "contact with other empires is actually bad" issues.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
On the other and it means they're even more likely to snaffle up those starting planets and hem you in.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We're starting with a colony ship now? I always thought it was silly we even had scouts and a science ship but hadn't even surveyed our home system. drat, I want my pre-warp start where I've explored my system and started building space mines before I have the tech/resources to go beyond.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Starting with colony ship tech, not a colony ship built. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea though, most other 4x games start you with scout+colony ship.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DatonKallandor posted:

At least colony ships are going to be a starting thing now. That should solve a lot of the "contact with other empires is actually bad" issues.

Yeah it being a mandatory day one research doesn't make any sense. If you're going to railroad people like that you might as well just have researched already.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ah yeah the tech makes sense because is there ever a time you don't research it first? You're always going to pick it, and you're often going to use the society boosting focus too to get it asap. That's what I miss because in games like moo and moo2 there were trade offs and not b-lining to colony ships was sometimes a valid strategy. Like in moo2 on a pre-warp start I'd often research automated factories and hydroponic farms and maybe colonize a planet in my home system before investing in the research and massive industrial cost of a colony ship. Other races would get their first colonies faster, but by the mid-early game I'd have caught up due to my homeworld's early industrial advantage. But it was a risk because if you were in a crowded area the good planets might be gone by the time your strategy pays off.

In stellaris, currently, the only valid strategy is an all out colony rush, who ever claims the most territory wins.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Truga posted:

It seems like there's some sort of internal cooldown on how often they can ask you. I started two new colonies really close to a fallen empire within a few days of each other. They sent me a request to cancel the first one (after I'd started both) and I agreed to destroy it, but the second one (which was even closer) was untouched, they never mentioned it nor did they get an opinion penalty. Once the closer one was established I was able to colonise the first one without issue since it was now comfortably within my borders.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 14, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The advantage of having to research colony ships is that it gives you some time to spend minerals on things that are not a colony ship right at the start.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Aethernet posted:

I think I've conditioned myself to always scroll with the mousewheel, I've never hit any of the issues people have been having with the scroll bars.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
That's fine if you don't have like a hundred ships.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Do people routinely have that many ships? By the end of most ges I have 1 corvette, 2 destroyer, 1 cruiser and maybe 3 battleship designs. Rarely are variants for smaller ships necessary.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Do people routinely have that many ships? By the end of most ges I have 1 corvette, 2 destroyer, 1 cruiser and maybe 3 battleship designs. Rarely are variants for smaller ships necessary.

I think it's more for if you want to detach 4 corvettes and 1 battleship from a fleet of 200 ships but when you try to do this wiz (or one of his unsung team members) comes to your house and slaps the mouse out of your hand every time you try to click.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Poil posted:

The advantage of having to research colony ships is that it gives you some time to spend minerals on things that are not a colony ship right at the start.
That's a really good point. That 4ish year delay has a big impact on how the early game plays out.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Splicer posted:

That's a really good point. That 4ish year delay has a big impact on how the early game plays out.

That pre-FTL start up mod someone posted earlier affects the early game in ways I generally like, related to that. More focus on internal development and getting a strong research base before the "real game" begins.

It's not flawless, but it does make me wish there could be an official pre-FTL start.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Conskill posted:

That pre-FTL start up mod someone posted earlier affects the early game in ways I generally like, related to that. More focus on internal development and getting a strong research base before the "real game" begins.

It's not flawless, but it does make me wish there could be an official pre-FTL start.

I really like the idea - but how does it work when you're 95% bound to your starting system? Do the in system (plus anything the mod adds) mechanics have enough depth to support the new early game?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Baronjutter posted:

Ah yeah the tech makes sense because is there ever a time you don't research it first? You're always going to pick it, and you're often going to use the society boosting focus too to get it asap. That's what I miss because in games like moo and moo2 there were trade offs and not b-lining to colony ships was sometimes a valid strategy. Like in moo2 on a pre-warp start I'd often research automated factories and hydroponic farms and maybe colonize a planet in my home system before investing in the research and massive industrial cost of a colony ship. Other races would get their first colonies faster, but by the mid-early game I'd have caught up due to my homeworld's early industrial advantage. But it was a risk because if you were in a crowded area the good planets might be gone by the time your strategy pays off.

In stellaris, currently, the only valid strategy is an all out colony rush, who ever claims the most territory wins.

Spending your influence on that edict early on is a waste of influence essentially.

Even if you assume you had no other things to spend influence on in terms of colonies, defensive pacts, elections etc, the simplest alternative to using that edict is to build an outpost. This also costs 1 per turn.

However instead of giving you 15% on top of +5 (making it +5.75) if your outpost even has a single society research outpost of +2 you will generate more research (+7 vs +5.75).

Thats before you even consider the fact you've probably got more access to minerals and energy that can be mined, and the fact you may now have dibs on habitable worlds.

Basically my early game now is always to put down two outposts to grab as many habitable planets and systems as possible, and then just let my influence grow at +1 per month.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Ah yeah the tech makes sense because is there ever a time you don't research it first?

I've gone for notacolonyship first a fair amount of times actually in favor of planetary unification and the +1 influence. In the near term resources will ramp up faster by simply spamming mines/outposts and stealing primitive worlds with assault armies.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Strategic Tea posted:

I really like the idea - but how does it work when you're 95% bound to your starting system? Do the in system (plus anything the mod adds) mechanics have enough depth to support the new early game?

The mod includes a STL drive for getting from system to system on a scale of multiple years, so there is still some limited build up during the pre-FTL era. The pre-FTL era lasts about 20 years typically.

Beyond that? It's part of what I meant when I said it's not flawless. You're very much at the mercy of the RNG to give you a good starting system/planet, or else your disadvantage is magnified enormously. The AI doesn't handle being pre-FTL very well either.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Not sure pre-FTL would work in Stellaris without giving you more to do with non-habitable planets. Habitats come too late in the game to be an option. It also runs counter to the ostensible second part of the game, the Grand Strategy bit.

A more involved mining economy with multiple mineral types might make it more interesting, but that doesn't feel likely.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

What would they suggest you do about it given that you can't decolonize a planet other than by exterminating everyone on it?

If you say yes, you just lose the colony ship. They demand it before colony is fully up, IIRC.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

OwlFancier posted:

You say that as if shoveling the alps into the med isn't the logical way to get more lebensraum, for your space nazi empire.
Don't be ridiculous. You drain the mediterranean.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Chalks posted:

I've done something similar in a recent game, peacefully annexing valuable planets near the border by leapfrogging border outposts. I kind of hit a wall in how far I could go but I managed to nibble off like 10% of their space into my own. (I had a lot of saved up influence with which to do this). But oh man, oh man they were not happy about this. Like -1500 unhappy, and some 60-70% of that is border friction alone.

Not that they're going to do anything about it though. They're super xenophobic but also pacifists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Strudel Man posted:

Don't be ridiculous. You drain the mediterranean.
But what do you do with all the water left over from melting the ice caps?

• Locked thread