Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Unfollowing MaRo on tumblr was one of the most recent good decisions I made.

Then again, at least he's an actual Magic person fellating current Magic, rather than part of the Magic fan tumblr doing the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Cactrot posted:

Most companies have a social media policy to prevent employees from commenting on company products.

Wizards policy is "use #WotCStaff".

IANAL but isn't #WotCStaff their attempt at defending against future "Judges are Employees"-type lawsuits? The logic being that employees are distinguished by hashtags on all their social media posts, these judges/pros/whatever don't so they must not be employees!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ThePeavstenator posted:

IANAL but isn't #WotCStaff their attempt at defending against future "Judges are Employees"-type lawsuits? The logic being that employees are distinguished by hashtags on all their social media posts, these judges/pros/whatever don't so they must not be employees!

If that's their defense, it would seem like nobody at WotC is a lawyer either, because that is a super thin defense.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
PPTQ Report: R/U Zombies

Decklist:

4 Advanced Stitchwing
4 Elder Deep-Fiend
4 Prized Amalgam
4 Stitchwing Skaab
4 Cathartic Reunion
4 Fevered Visions
3 Fiery Temper
4 Kozilek's Return
3 Lightning Axe
3 Tormenting Voice

6 Island
7 Mountain
2 Sanctum of Ugin
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Wandering Fumarole

SB: 3 Dispel
SB: 1 Fiery Temper
SB: 2 Nahiri's Wrath
SB: 2 Negate
SB: 2 Release the Gremlins
SB: 2 Wretched Gryff
SB: 1 Lightning Axe
SB: 1 Key to the City
SB: 1 Shock

I showed up to the Sunday PPTQ at my FLGS to find a decent crowd. I had a teammate on Jund Aggro, a teammate on Temur Tower, and a friend on Jeskai Control Cats. I had the idea going in to the day that I wanted to go -1 Dispel and +1 Negate. But I was also super lazy and forgot to make that change.

R1 vs Jeskai Cats (My friend) Lose 0-2
Lose Die Roll

G1: I get off to a good start, T2 Cathartic Reunion, T3 Fevered visions (When my opponents doesn't go for the T3 Saheeli) and I start aggressively attacking his life total. He lands a cat and I don't have a lightning axe for it. He goes to combo off and I emerge an elder deep fiend, to exile a kozileks return from the graveyard when he goes to combat. he Void Shatters the deep fiend and because I am bad at magic and don't know how to read cards forget that the kozileks return trigger is on cast and not on resolution durp dee durr I scoop because I am dumb

SB: out: a mix of lightning axe, Fiery Temper, and Tormenting Voice. In: Negate and Dispel

G2: I somehow do not ever get a stitchwing after digging for several turns. My opponent sculpts his hand and then goes for the combo. I negate his saheeli, he dispels my negate, I dispel his dispel, he dispels my dispel. Welp.

R2 vs Rakdos Zombies Win 2-0
Lose Die Roll

G1: We both T2 Cathartic Reunion discarding prized amalgams. Except his T3 is returnign a haunted dead and mine is returning an Advanced Stitchwing. My creatures are better, and his engine can't get off the ground.

I didn't sideboard anything, but I should have sideboarded out the visions (I did not because I was up a game and I loving love visions, but not siding them out in this matchup is the wrong call)

G2: We exchange attacks and build board presence, until he casts a Kalitas, which could be very bad for me. Fortunately my opponent makes a big misplay after we have a very messy interaction.
Board state: my opponent has a kalitas, I have an advanced stitchwing. Opponent Transgresses me so in response I emerge an elder deep fiend, returning Kozileks return from the graveyard (deep fiend was my only card over 3 cmc in hand)

How this resolves:
- Stitchwing goes into exile as part of emerge cost (and Kalitas), makes zombie for Kalitas
- Kozileks return on the stack for 5 damage
- In response opponent sacs zombie to kalitas making it a 5/6
- Transgress the Mind resolves.
- My opponent forgets that Kalitas has 5 damage on him and swings into my deep fiend (sweet)

R3 vs Temur Aetherworks Marvel Win 2-0
Win die roll

G1: I go T2 Cathartic reunion into T3 Visions into T4 return Advanced Stitchwing and prized amalgam. Opponent goes Attune with Aether, Puzzleknot, puzzleknot, puzzleknot. I know there's a marvel coming so I cast a second visions and leave two blue mana up. Opponent untaps and goes "well if you have a counter you have it, but attempt to cast marvel?" I don't have a counter so it resolves and my opponent immediately activates the marvel because he has 9 energy. He looks at his top 6, frowns, and then bottoms all 6 (6 land so I'm told). The judge casually watching our match cannot contain his laughter. On to G2.

Sideboard: out lightning axe, in negate

G2: My opponent doesn't find an early marvel but green puzzleknots keep him up on life. He plays a tapland and I see that next turn he'll have 10 mana and can start hardcasting threats (2x temple of the forsaken gods). So on his next upkeep I flash in a deep fiend and tap 4 of his lands, also saccing sanctum of ugin to get another deep fiend. At this point my opponents life is pretty low, but we move back into his turn, I let him move to main with all of his lands untapped and he taps ten. "Ulamog?" I ask. "I wish, Kozilek" I let Kozilek resolve, my opponent draws 6, casts a glint nest crane that finds him a marvel for next turn, and during his end step I emerge a second Deep Fiend that taps Kozilek and Glint nest, and I untap and swing for lethal.

R4 vs Abzan mono removal win 2-1
win die roll

G1: Deck goes off without a hitch. 9 power on the board T3, opponent has removal spells, man lands, and sylvan advocates, and can really only cast one per turn while I have a full engine going.

S: out 2 tormented voice, in 2 nahiri's wrath.

G2: Opponent plays the superfriends game. I end up emerging a deep fiend during my turn to tap his lands, kozileks return his blockers, and let me swing into his planeswalkers. He responds by untapping, and slamming down an ajani to remove my deep fiend, followed by a Sorin and a Lilianna as a try to recover.

G3: Nahiri's wrath pulls out all the stops and lets me destroy double sylvan advocates while also letting me discard a prized amalgam and advanced stitchwing. Yahenni's expertise into lily is good, but not good enough when all my creatures just come back.

R5: DRAW INTO TOP 8 (get paired against a reuben for lunch, crush it)

Top 8 vs Jeskai Control Cats (same friend from earlier)
Opponent has higher seed and decides to take the play.

G1: T2 Tormenting voice discarding advanced Stitchwing, T3 return stitchwing discarding 2x Amalgam. Deck is cool and good.

G2: Opponent gets the combo on T5 and has counter backup for my removal.

G3: I mull to 6 and keep a hand with double lightning axe and a negate, 2 land, and a cathartic reunion. I draw several cards and never find a stitchwing. I axe a cat, and negate a saheeli but never finding a blue creature means that my opponent essentially has forever to sculpt the hand and eventually combo out. *sad trombone*

Upside: My opponent went on to win the whole tournament. So my only losses on the day were to the guy who got first.

Thoughts:

- What a weird variance run since Saheeli combo is usually one of the decks better matchups. But my opponent DID have extensive testing against me (We'd jammed a lot of games leading up to the tournament) My buddy on Temur tower also got a top 8 slot.

- Deck is good, I still think that I would rather have a third negate over a third dispel.

- Deck is more prone to variance than other decks, but it has a lot of card selection to help you get there.

- Deck is better against 4 color saheeli than 3 color saheeli. 4 color plays fewer counterspells, which means you can just go ham.

- Don't play this deck, I am busy playing it, don't expose the secret

- I played against zero gb/jund energy aggro decks and zero mardu vehicles. The decks I wanted to play against the most.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 14, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ThePeavstenator posted:

If that's their plan, their lawyers don't have a law degree either because it wouldn't be relevant at all.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Cactrot posted:

If that's their defense, it would seem like nobody at WotC is a lawyer either, because that is a super thin defense.

Apparently a big part of lawsuits like the judge case is that the defendant company needs to show how the plaintiffs are distinct from employees.

It just seems like such a weird, pointless thing and the timing of it being implemented right after the judge lawsuit is funny timing. It probably is just a coincidence tho yeah.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ThePeavstenator posted:

From what I read when they first started, it's something to do with some advertising law where they can't have their employees advertising their products without making people aware that they're employees of the company. WotC obviously took that and completely misinterpreted it so now they have to put that on everything they post on social media even if it's not advertising anything.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
On today's episode of SOMFB's Brewhouse:

Delvering Souls
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Snapcaster
2 Monastery Mentor
2 Tasigur tGF
1 Gurmag Angler

4 Lingering Souls

4 Serum Visions
4 Thought Scour
3 Path to Exile
3 Fatal Push
4 Thoughtsieze
1 Anguished Unmaking
2 Remand
1 Mana Tithe
2 Spell Pierce

1 Moorland Haunt
4 Marsh Flats
3 Polluted Delta
2 Flooded Strand
1 Seachrome Coast
1 Concealed Courtyard
1 Island
1 Swamp
1 Plains
2 Watery Grave
1 Goodless Shrine
1 Hallowed Fountain

This deck was inspired by the fact that Mana Tithe is modern legal and Force Spike is not. Also in the Fatal Push/Deaths Shadow world, Tasigur and Lingering Souls feel quite good.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

Thoughts:

- What a weird variance run since Saheeli combo is usually one of the decks better matchups. But my opponent DID have extensive testing against me (We'd jammed a lot of games leading up to the tournament) My buddy on Temur tower also got a top 8 slot.

- Deck is good, I still think that I would rather have a third negate over a third dispel.

- Deck is more prone to variance than other decks, but it has a lot of card selection to help you get there.

- Deck is better against 4 color saheeli than 3 color saheeli. 4 color plays fewer counterspells, which means you can just go ham.

- Don't play this deck, I am busy playing it, don't expose the secret

- I played against zero gb/jund energy aggro decks and zero mardu vehicles. The decks I wanted to play against the most.

This is a sweet deck but I promise you, Mardu Vehicles is not the matchup this deck craves, it wants to play against Tower decks, and possibly Marvel decks. I had been playing a lot of GB and Mardu Vehicles online before GB became trash, and I thought I was slightly favored as GB but both Zombies and GB just lose when they don't have curve outs that come together. Meanwhile as Mardu I absolutely crushed this deck. A bunch of maindeck Avacyn make Mardu even better thanks to it being a threat you can deploy in response to an upkeep Elder Deep Fiend and it + Ballista being way to flip Avacyn and wipe all the zombies off the board.

It is also without a doubt the sweetest looking deck in the format and looks like a blast to play so the likely bad Mardu matchup, which I've only seen it about 7-8 times so I may be wrong, shouldn't factor in that too heavily. Playing the sweetest deck in a meh format can't ever be too wrong.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The #WotCStaff thing came from a big shitstorm about video game Let's Players on Youtube being paid to do endorsements for games and then not telling people they were paid for it, or something along those lines.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Marketing New Brain posted:

This is a sweet deck but I promise you, Mardu Vehicles is not the matchup this deck craves, it wants to play against Tower decks, and possibly Marvel decks. I had been playing a lot of GB and Mardu Vehicles online before GB became trash, and I thought I was slightly favored as GB but both Zombies and GB just lose when they don't have curve outs that come together. Meanwhile as Mardu I absolutely crushed this deck. A bunch of maindeck Avacyn make Mardu even better thanks to it being a threat you can deploy in response to an upkeep Elder Deep Fiend and it + Ballista being way to flip Avacyn and wipe all the zombies off the board.

It is also without a doubt the sweetest looking deck in the format and looks like a blast to play so the likely bad Mardu matchup, which I've only seen it about 7-8 times so I may be wrong, shouldn't factor in that too heavily. Playing the sweetest deck in a meh format can't ever be too wrong.

It really does feel like the sweetest deck in the format. My favorite comment was from a guy I played some side games with who was on 4 color Saheeli: "So did you just draft this and then go 'gently caress it, let's turn everything I drafted into 4-of's' because you've made an unstoppable monster."

Tower, Marvel, and 4 color Saheeli decks are really bad against this deck.

I'm just over 50/50 against mardu vehicles in testing. It takes careful play but I don't think it's the worst thing. The deck has a fair amount of spot removal and sweepers so it has the ability to delay the vehicles deck for quite a while and an avacyn flip clears both boards, but I can return my board for 2-3 mana. It's a skill testing matchup but I don't think it's as one-sided as you do. (But maybe I've just played against poor Mardu Players)

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

It really does feel like the sweetest deck in the format. My favorite comment was from a guy I played some side games with who was on 4 color Saheeli: "So did you just draft this and then go 'gently caress it, let's turn everything I drafted into 4-of's' because you've made an unstoppable monster."

Tower, Marvel, and 4 color Saheeli decks are really bad against this deck.

I'm just over 50/50 against mardu vehicles in testing. It takes careful play but I don't think it's the worst thing. The deck has a fair amount of spot removal and sweepers so it has the ability to delay the vehicles deck for quite a while and an avacyn flip clears both boards, but I can return my board for 2-3 mana. It's a skill testing matchup but I don't think it's as one-sided as you do. (But maybe I've just played against poor Mardu Players)

There are a lot of different makeups of the deck, I'm sure some are just accidentally better or worse vs Zombies. The better hand, especially the better hand on the play, is usually going to win and that's just standard as it exists today. The big difference I noticed is Mardu has a much better curve out potential of 1, 2, 3 that's tough for Zombies to answer, and GIdeon on the play is also a nightmare for basically every deck in the format.

The other big difference is Mardu never has a hand that just does nothing, even if some draws are slow you are always advancing your game plan significantly where as I've won with incredibly mediocre draws when Zombies just spun its wheels. It might not be all that lopsided, it just feels like Mardu wins every close game, which is why I've been playing it. The only deck I had playing against as Mardu is Marvel and that's just because you win or lose entirely based off their draws.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Ultima66 posted:

The #WotCStaff thing came from a big shitstorm about video game Let's Players on Youtube being paid to do endorsements for games and then not telling people they were paid for it, or something along those lines.

Don't look now, but it's about ethics in games journalism again.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Lawnie posted:

Don't look now, but it's about ethics in games journalism again.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:golfclap:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Metagame Gurus have a new lineup and website. Those jerseys are gone!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

BJPaskoff posted:

They lost their only likeable player in Kevin Jones and they have some doofus that's wearing a black cowboy hat for their official photo.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

BJPaskoff posted:

With the money they save on jerseys, maybe they can afford to buy chins for the Jessup brothers.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Marketing New Brain posted:

There are a lot of different makeups of the deck, I'm sure some are just accidentally better or worse vs Zombies. The better hand, especially the better hand on the play, is usually going to win and that's just standard as it exists today. The big difference I noticed is Mardu has a much better curve out potential of 1, 2, 3 that's tough for Zombies to answer, and GIdeon on the play is also a nightmare for basically every deck in the format.

The other big difference is Mardu never has a hand that just does nothing, even if some draws are slow you are always advancing your game plan significantly where as I've won with incredibly mediocre draws when Zombies just spun its wheels. It might not be all that lopsided, it just feels like Mardu wins every close game, which is why I've been playing it. The only deck I had playing against as Mardu is Marvel and that's just because you win or lose entirely based off their draws.

Those are very solid points, and I can absolutely agree with them. Against Mardu zombies feels like it's 100% the control deck (especially G1) You need to block with your creatures, remove problems, and try to wear them out of cards in hand while getting maximum value out of the cards you have. You have to constantly be aware of the flashed in Avacyn though. If you can get a good Kozileks return off before they get to 5 mana you can be in a great position to win the game. Vehicled dropping a T4 Gideon on the play is tough to deal with, but it's a lot less difficult if they're dropping that gideon onto an empty board. Mardu vehicles games are very close, and usually come down to stabilizing at low life, turning the corner, and just overwhelming. I have used removal or emerge'd creatures to avoid damage from unlicensed disintegration.

Also: every deck loses to chained deep fiends. (and no other deck in standard is really doing that)

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Cactrot posted:

Most companies have a social media policy to prevent employees from commenting on company products.

Wizards policy is "use #WotCStaff".

#WotCStaff is to comply with FCC requirements re: social media and endorsements and has nothing to do with social media policy. Maro going rogue on his blog is actually an internal issue at wotc.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

born on a buy you posted:

#WotCStaff is to comply with FCC requirements re: social media and endorsements and has nothing to do with social media policy. Maro going rogue on his blog is actually an internal issue at wotc.

I've heard of the first part, but not MaRo going rogue.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured
I'm pretty tired of the quarterly Sam Stoddard "Whoopsies" articles.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

born on a buy you posted:

He tags his responses on his blog with #wotcstaff, there's no going rogue there

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't really get the point of being an SCG tour grinder - I mean, Jim Davis doesn't appear to have an actual job other than playing SCG tournaments. You might as well try your hand at the real tournaments.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 14, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BJPaskoff posted:

Is there anything sadder than paying for "Magic Coaching" from guys who can't even stay on the PT?

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't really get the point of being an SCG tour grinder - I mean, Jim Davis doesn't appear to have an actual job other than playing SCG tournaments. You might as well try your hand at the real tournaments.

Especially now that there isn't a players championship anymore.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

Not sure how successful Jim Davis would be on non-SCG tournaments where the judges might not give a complete pass on slow play

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

UberJew posted:

Not sure how successful Jim Davis would be on non-SCG tournaments where the judges might not give a complete pass on slow play

Or if he had to play actual good players

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
going rogue means mentioning/hinting at internal stuff without it being an intentional/planned thing

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

UberJew posted:

Doubt it. It's the same judges.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Is there anything sadder than paying for "Magic Coaching" from guys who can't even stay on the PT?

Especially now that there isn't a players championship anymore.

It sounds like trying to buy friends

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

UberJew posted:

he should be forced to just play all his matches on modo

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
cool reddit quotes from a scg tournament report

quote:

The rudest opponent I have ever played in my life of mtg, and he is a well-known figure. Truly disappointing, his first mention he tells me can’t sleep without his girl, and then gives me a signed token of himself that I did not ask for.

quote:

I tank for max 25 seconds. Once I cast Ulamog, he tilted off, “are you serious dude” “what are you even doing”, he draws a card and concedes. “Best card in your deck and you tank”.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

little munchkin posted:

cool reddit quotes from a scg tournament report

Name and shame!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

its you

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

But I'm always nice... at least I think I am. People want my signed tokens right? I'm important.

I'm going to start keeping a stash of random tokens with me to sign and hand out next pptq I go to.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Fingers McLongDong posted:

But I'm always nice... at least I think I am. People want my signed tokens right? I'm important.

I'm going to start keeping a stash of random tokens with me to sign and hand out next pptq I go to.

Fake it til you make it.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

sit on my Facebook posted:

On today's episode of SOMFB's Brewhouse:

Delvering Souls
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Snapcaster
2 Monastery Mentor
2 Tasigur tGF
1 Gurmag Angler

4 Lingering Souls

4 Serum Visions
4 Thought Scour
3 Path to Exile
3 Fatal Push
4 Thoughtsieze
1 Anguished Unmaking
2 Remand
1 Mana Tithe
2 Spell Pierce

1 Moorland Haunt
4 Marsh Flats
3 Polluted Delta
2 Flooded Strand
1 Seachrome Coast
1 Concealed Courtyard
1 Island
1 Swamp
1 Plains
2 Watery Grave
1 Goodless Shrine
1 Hallowed Fountain

This deck was inspired by the fact that Mana Tithe is modern legal and Force Spike is not. Also in the Fatal Push/Deaths Shadow world, Tasigur and Lingering Souls feel quite good.

I drew up a similar list and goofed off with it in XMage, but never bothered to build it. The UBx Delver I really want to try is BUG Delver, a dude was running it at my store a few weeks ago.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Delver of Secrets kinda sucks in modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

Delver of Secrets kinda sucks in modern.

True, which is why the best version of delver in modern, grixis shadow, doesn't play delver.

• Locked thread