Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

cis autodrag posted:

my favorite is that now that i have the real software dev title they are justifying paying me the salary of a fresh untrained hire despite being here for 5 years and programming continuously for the last 2 by saying "the responsibilities are harder at this level and you have to prove yourself", despite making me spend the last year working on projects that showed i could handle the responsibilities of a full dev. its total bullshit. im 2 weeks away from my sabbatical and then it's time to dish resumes.

"We need you to be more available in the evenings."
"That's after work ends. If it's related to a project that demands after hours support, we can arrange things in advance so that I'm aware."
"We just need you to be more flexible, WOTBK."
"Sorry, I like being with my family."

*business promotes some idiot that is my junior above me because he has no willingness to say no to anything management wants*

Salaried positions should be criminalized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Spazmo posted:

swear to god one time I got "the company is investing in you, but you also need to invest in the company."

lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Spazmo posted:

swear to god one time I got "the company is investing in you, but you also need to invest in the company."

oh cool so y'all will let me buy in like a partner?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
what's a sabbatical exactly and how is it different from a vacation? is it defined in your contract?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

"That's after work ends. If it's related to a project that demands after hours support, we can arrange things in advance so that I'm aware."

*business promotes some idiot that is my junior above me because he has no willingness to say no to anything management wants*

Salaried positions should be criminalized.
my boss starts playfully berating people if they're still in the office when he leaves at 5.45, it loving owns

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

what's a sabbatical exactly and how is it different from a vacation? is it defined in your contract?

you dont get paid during that time but theoretically your job will be waiting for you when you return

most places formally call it "unpaid leave"

they of course can end your employment while you're on leave at any time if they want unless you have an employment contract but lol only executives have employment contracts in the us

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

at intel, it was 8 weeks paid block after every 7 years. on top of your vacation for the year.

i knew one architect who learned how to drive a 18 wheeler and did a long-haul run

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

at intel, it was 8 weeks paid block after every 7 years. on top of your vacation for the year.

thats very generous

JawnV6 posted:

i knew one architect who learned how to drive a 18 wheeler and did a long-haul run

lol

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

that guy rules.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Twerk from Home posted:

when do your guys annual bonuses pay out? apparently ours are going to get paid out later than normal this year, end of april and i'm steamed because I was planning to give notice around then.

last year they paid out around march.

every quarter :w00t:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ADINSX posted:

That's the closest we get to a "bonus", basically our late pay in one lump sum, and they're thinking about getting rid of it... presumably raises would just take effect in march.

Its a really dinky company.

last place I worked did this and they pushed it a little further back every year

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
we merged with another company last year and got this year's merit increased / bonus structure a few weeks ago; they flattened everyone's bonus down to 10% (from 15-20%) and added in a one-time % increase to base salary that was almost but not quite the difference. Which is really weird. I lost 5% and was given 4.7%. Like just a tiny little bit extra 'gently caress you' cherry on top

not that it matters, as I and everyone else are getting laid off in may since we refused to relocate across the country

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
the fairest bonus structure i've ever seen was at a company where my dad worked for a long time, everybody got the same bonus and it was based purely on operating profit margins, so when the company did really well literally everybody top to bottom got a 17% bonus, if the company had no profit then nobody got anything

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
saying "profit sharing" during a performance review is almost, but not quite, as bad as mentioning unionization

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Twerk from Home posted:

the fairest bonus structure i've ever seen was at a company where my dad worked for a long time, everybody got the same bonus and it was based purely on operating profit margins, so when the company did really well literally everybody top to bottom got a 17% bonus, if the company had no profit then nobody got anything
flat poo poo like this is inherently regressive towards the lower end fyi, the guy at the top's bonus can be as high as the entire rest of the bonus payout combined ,the same reason a "flat tax" is also regressive as gently caress

it's basically the opposite of fair but :capitalism:

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 14, 2017

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

old job did profit sharing with a formula like: 25% of profits split evenly among employees, 75% of profits split on a months-worked seniority basis that capped at 3 years (it was like a 5 year old company, probably this would change)

I thought it was a ncie and fair way to do it, too bad they have trouble making a profit now lmao

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
my bonus is entirely KPI based because my company doesn't make any profit for tax reasons

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Bhodi posted:

flat poo poo like this is inherently regressive towards the lower end fyi, the guy at the top's bonus can be as high as the entire rest of the bonus payout combined ,the same reason a "flat tax" is also regressive as gently caress

it's basically the opposite of fair but :capitalism:

beats the poo poo out of structures in which more highly compensated employees also get larger bonus percentages!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
how about better employees that are getting things done and contributing materially get a bigger bonus than their bad colleagues that are actively lighting fires?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

what if I just convince the CEO that I'm getting things done and contributing materially. do I still get big bonuses under this plan?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

here it's every 5 years we get an extra 4 weeks off to take a trip anywhere we want and if it's to a country we haven't been to before they give you a 300 dollar per day stipend (less taxes) for it, plus flights. They basically end up covering your flight and hotels so I still had to save a bit of money to do it. im doing a big eurotrip but some stupid idiots take cruises and one extreme sperg forewent the stipend once because he just wanted 4 weeks off for the release of the new wow expansion.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

power botton posted:

what if I just convince the CEO that I'm getting things done and contributing materially. do I still get big bonuses under this plan?
have I got the link for you http://www.onionstudios.com/videos/...ring-raise-2185

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

power botton posted:

no, you have to convince your manager and he has to convince his peers and manager when they are dividing the bonus pool. you can be all Microsofty about it and try to sabotage everyone else but a healthy company will punish that.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

cis autodrag posted:

here it's every 5 years we get an extra 4 weeks off to take a trip anywhere we want and if it's to a country we haven't been to before they give you a 300 dollar per day stipend (less taxes) for it, plus flights. They basically end up covering your flight and hotels so I still had to save a bit of money to do it. im doing a big eurotrip but some stupid idiots take cruises and one extreme sperg forewent the stipend once because he just wanted 4 weeks off for the release of the new wow expansion.

hell yeah i thought leave loading was a dead concept

we get nine weeks paid leave after ten years but thats a government mandate.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

honestly i think its because burnout here is so brutal that they need the carrot. for our implementers (basically pms we assign to customers to basically coordinate their whole install) they added a mini-sabbatical at 3 years too because they weren't even lasting that long, lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

lol my last job gave you a week extra vacation at the 20 year mark, bring you up to a total of 4 weeks.

the compnay was only about 22 years old

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

The Management posted:

no, you have to convince your manager and he has to convince his peers and manager when they are dividing the bonus pool. you can be all Microsofty about it and try to sabotage everyone else but a healthy company will punish that.

oh thats the confusion. are people itf more than 1 or 2 levels away from the CEO?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

power botton posted:

oh thats the confusion. are people itf more than 1 or 2 levels away from the CEO?

If you're one level away from the CEO and you can bluff the amount of work you do then your company is hosed

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Management posted:

how about better employees that are getting things done and contributing materially get a bigger bonus than their bad colleagues that are actively lighting fires?

idk when you get 6~7 deep from the CEO, your own work contribution can get inflated or wholly wiped out by terrible decisions at the director level

like how do you equitably give out bonuses to the guy working hard whose SVP hosed up reading the market and the division isn't profitable vs. the slacker under a SVP who lucked out and was sitting on a goldmine?

ime big companies do formulas, intel had 2 bonus types that kicked out maybe 30 days total per year?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

they told you what they wanted, and you refused. so they promoted someone else. this is the expected result of refusing a management request.

they didn't fire you for not making yourself available. you just didn't get ahead. it's not like you were entitled to the promotion just because you were more senior.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cis autodrag posted:

my favorite is that now that i have the real software dev title they are justifying paying me the salary of a fresh untrained hire despite being here for 5 years and programming continuously for the last 2 by saying "the responsibilities are harder at this level and you have to prove yourself", despite making me spend the last year working on projects that showed i could handle the responsibilities of a full dev. its total bullshit. im 2 weeks away from my sabbatical and then it's time to dish resumes.

you know the old saying, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" ? that's a knife that cuts both ways.

you have been working there for five years. you're a known quantity and they long ago decided that you are not worth more than what you're getting. they might even be right about that. you might not be worth more to them.

that doesn't mean you're not worth more to somebody else. you're one bird in your employer's hand, but you might be two birds in somebody else's bush.

this metaphor got away from me. tl;dr: get a new job

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

JawnV6 posted:

idk when you get 6~7 deep from the CEO, your own work contribution can get inflated or wholly wiped out by terrible decisions at the director level

like how do you equitably give out bonuses to the guy working hard whose SVP hosed up reading the market and the division isn't profitable vs. the slacker under a SVP who lucked out and was sitting on a goldmine?

ime big companies do formulas, intel had 2 bonus types that kicked out maybe 30 days total per year?

ideally your boss fights for you if you busted your rear end (lol). but there will be a smaller bonus pool because your vp is dumb so you should gtfo of that department.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you know the old saying, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" ? that's a knife that cuts both ways.

you have been working there for five years. you're a known quantity and they long ago decided that you are not worth more than what you're getting. they might even be right about that. you might not be worth more to them.

that doesn't mean you're not worth more to somebody else. you're one bird in your employer's hand, but you might be two birds in somebody else's bush.

this metaphor got away from me. tl;dr: get a new job

is the bird a penis in this analogy? because if so I disagree with the premise

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

lol if you think the management can tell the difference

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the biggest thing people need to learn is you can't change the system from within so just go to another better company where things aren't hosed and you get paid commensurate with market rates

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

a bird in the hand is probably a big mess

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

is the bird a penis in this analogy? because if so I disagree with the premise

i wonder what that doubledickdude is up to these days

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

The Management posted:

ideally your boss fights for you if you busted your rear end (lol). but there will be a smaller bonus pool because your vp is dumb so you should gtfo of that department.
you're expecting every frontline manager to fight for every IC's promotion, AND summer bonus, AND winter bonus, like pretty soon we're stack ranking for 50% of management's time every year and everyone's pissed they only got a silver star

so as stockholm as it sounds, some global formula that takes in ((division results ) / (division objectives)) * (company health) = X days salary skips all those meetings, pays out to everyone within 50% or so, seems to make a lot more sense

intel amended the bonus formula once. it relied on GAAP. guess when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol if you think the management can tell the difference

this too. how much of your time do you currently spend sabotaging your peers bonus competitors

• Locked thread