Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

MikeyTsi posted:

If you're going to spend $50,000 on a truck, then immediately spend several thousand more to basically make it a van, maybe just buy the van.

I mean, I know the van isn't nearly as MANLY as big ol' truck, but it's probably far better utility for the price.

That's exactly what my boss did years ago. Bought a new Honda Odyssey, took out the rear row seating and one of the rear seats, put down rubber sheeting over the carpet and installed a metal grate over the rear storage floor space, so now it's a 3-seater utility van with like $240k miles on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If a truck with carpet in the bed does the job best go for it, not my problem. Just giving examples of things that would wreck the carpet.

Hell if you do fine wood floor installation and want to haul your wood around without scuffing it up, that would work well. An express van would probably be better, though.

Just not really sure what the use case is.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Carpet in a truck is loving dumb. Just put a moving blanket on the truck bed lining if you move a delicate thing?

Tonneau covers are dumb too. Just get a canopy.

It's not against groupthink or whatever if it's actually a dumb thing.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

davebo posted:

That's exactly what my boss did years ago. Bought a new Honda Odyssey, took out the rear row seating and one of the rear seats, put down rubber sheeting over the carpet and installed a metal grate over the rear storage floor space, so now it's a 3-seater utility van with like $240k miles on it.

This post led me to check out Honda Odyssey pricing. http://automobiles.honda.com/odyssey/price.aspx

Holy poo poo, the luxury edition features a built-in vacuum and a 650W stereo. It starts at $45k and tops out near $53k.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

TotalLossBrain posted:

This post led me to check out Honda Odyssey pricing. http://automobiles.honda.com/odyssey/price.aspx

Holy poo poo, the luxury edition features a built-in vacuum and a 650W stereo. It starts at $45k and tops out near $53k.

Have you been in one? They are extremely hella nice.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I don't doubt it. I was looking into buying one about ten years ago but was put off by the price then. So instead I bought a slightly used, branded-title Sienna that was rebuilt by Russians. I guess they do that as hobby/job around here.
They did a nice job, airbags deployed as they should have when a red light runner led to it being totaled again. That was the incident that sparked the purchase of my first dash cam.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Problem solved, 'man van'. Also, would drive every loving day.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

ThirstyBuck posted:

I unfortunately drove the coupe style of this car for a little while in high school. It was way less cool then than it would be now. It was an old fire marshal car that my dad picked up for me for $250. I do highly recommend the dog dish caps for it.

I think it needs these:

Sorry for disappearing for a while, I've had a bit of a big surprise come up and I'll be posting quite a bit about it soon. I know my friend in town who has the '85 black-on-black landau roof'd sedan was hoping to make his look more police car'ey and I'll send him those wheels and see what he thinks about those. They do look pretty cool!

I'm gonna type up a big breakdown of all of what I've done to that wagon in the panther thread, I've taken tons of pictures since getting it and of all the things I've had to do to it!

KakerMix posted:

I've olded so hard I ended up buying a Lexus of all things.

This absolutely owns.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Problem solved, 'man van'. Also, would drive every loving day.

Those are very expensive.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Mcqueen posted:

Carpet in a truck is loving dumb. Just put a moving blanket on the truck bed lining if you move a delicate thing?

Tonneau covers are dumb too. Just get a canopy.

It's not against groupthink or whatever if it's actually a dumb thing.

Canopies are difficult to remove (and loving unwieldy) if you need to transport something larger than said canopy.

I think the clamshell tonneau covers are kind of dumb, but at least they're generally designed to be easier to remove and tend to be lighter, and you still have the option of secure/dry transport in the bed. I'd probably go with one of those retractable types though.*

*(Probably never going to buy a truck)

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Luxrage posted:

This absolutely owns.

Until you have to use it

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Jymmybob posted:

Until you have to use it

Yeah it's neat and all but in practice it will hold whatever you put in it but a typical Starbucks cup or similar moves around in it and feels just a bit too tall.

The 2jze though, now that is a jewel.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

I didn't want to say anything until I knew for sure I'd be getting it, but a few weeks ago when I was having car troubles, I went looking online to see if any other Crown Vic wagons had come up for sale since I bought my red one in August. Well, I found the perfect one, and I've got it now. I wanted to save sharing it until I had it (mostly) cleaned up:
1989 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire LX One owner at 72K miles!

It made me realize just how run down that red one I've been driving is. This one's brakes are way tighter, the steering has way less play, and the engine is dead silent unless you are really flooring it. It has so much more sound deadening than the other one. The red one I was driving is an '87, and they were redesigned in '88. The door cards are thicker, it has power everything, all the lights are brigther, the drat thing actually dings when I've left my headlights on (which I won't need to with auto-lamps). My backseat passengers can both smoke charge their mobile stuff with a lighter in both rear doors!

It's crazy how they are so similar, yet so different just being two years apart and one being the absolute below-base and the other the top of the line.

The upcoming issues:
  • The AC seems to be leaking, the compressor works, but it's not holding charge.
  • The aluminum-wood trim is all losing its clearcoat. It's just peeling off and in some spots holding water. I had to cut some drain holes in the clearcoat where it was filling up at the carwash!
  • The aluminum wheels are all oxidising.
  • It's squeak city on the inside, I'm finding little issues here and there, but overall nothing extreme.

The clearcoat

Edit: Shrunk some of the photos and found a photo of how much the thing lights up when you open the doors. Also had the original dealer group keychain on the spares!

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 15, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MikeyTsi posted:

You're that guy that buys a truck and then immediately proceeds to use it like a giant minivan that we all laugh at.

You can load gravel on the bedrugs. They aren't absorbent and they rinse off. It'd mainly just be extra dent protection and a softer surface if I'm in the bed on my knees (having sex). I don't see how it's getting used like a minivan unless I've got toddlers rolling around in the bed or something. :colbert:

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Just wanna chime in and say roll up tonneau covers are pretty rad if you park outside in a place that gets a lot of snow.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cursedshitbox posted:

Right. BRB putting a bedrug on my F350.

Go haul some poo poo with that minty rear end pickup of yours. and by poo poo i don't mean the wife/kids/wiener.

That's not my truck nor my wiener, just a pic I grabbed off the internet.

And to people bitching about tonneau covers some of them are easily removable (like 30-120 seconds) to give you back 100% of your bed, and where the gently caress you going to securely/relatively dryly put four peoples worth of luggage on 1000 mile roadtrips without something along those lines. This isn't a 400 pound fiberglass topper that once it's on you know is never ever coming off.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Breakfast Feud posted:

Just wanna chime in and say roll up tonneau covers are pretty rad if you park outside in a place that gets a lot of snow.

The fold ups also seem good (maybe not the lovely 230 dollar ones but like the 800 dollar ones). Haven't decided which way I want to go, there's a fairly massive range of style and price and it seems like every single one of them has people that say it's amazing and people that say it's total dogshit.

Top three I'm thinking about are the Bakflip MX4 (folder), the Retrax MX Pro (very expensive roller, rolls into a box in the bed unlike some that roll up and over the bed), and the Peragon (weird folder).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Today I think I found the only other idiot on the planet that wants to actually offroad a Limited and he has exactly what I was thinking about getting, namely 35s on the factory wheels with a 4" lift. I think it's even the tires I'd probably get (Toyos, though Nittos would also be a possibility).

I'm pretty scared of the amount of powertrain warranty I'd potentially be voiding though. A case can be made (even if it's a very weak one, depending on the nature of the failure) that practically any part of the powertrain failing could be attributed to "You put big gently caress off tires on it and also screwed up all the suspension geometry and pinion angles and poo poo."

Maybe living in NV, land of the big jacked up pickup, and getting it installed by the dealer might help.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
That's a sweet truck but man I hate the C-shaped headlights

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

scrubs season six posted:

You can load gravel on the bedrugs.
I've got toddlers rolling around in the bed or something.

Having transported both over the years with various trucks, I'd say the gravel is less harmful to the truck.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dislike button posted:

That's a sweet truck but man I hate the C-shaped headlights

I like em. The only thing I don't particularly like is how square the bottom corners of the grill are. Which they changed/fixed for the 2017 Raptor and I think are changing for all the 2018s But it's not enough of a deal that I really give a poo poo about it.

The headlights are even more c-shaped though. And even though I like the bottom part of the grill better, I don't particularly like the grill as a whole. I do like how the whole bumper is body colored. Don't like the wheels as much.

Hate the interior. If this is really the only color they offer I'll laugh my rear end off:

Yes, it's blue.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Luxrage posted:

I didn't want to say anything until I knew for sure I'd be getting it, but a few weeks ago when I was having car troubles, I went looking online to see if any other Crown Vic wagons had come up for sale since I bought my red one in August. Well, I found the perfect one, and I've got it now. I wanted to save sharing it until I had it (mostly) cleaned up:

It made me realize just how run down that red one I've been driving is. This one's brakes are way tighter, the steering has way less play, and the engine is dead silent unless you are really flooring it. It has so much more sound deadening than the other one. The red one I was driving is an '87, and they were redesigned in '88. The door cards are thicker, it has power everything, all the lights are brigther, the drat thing actually dings when I've left my headlights on (which I won't need to with auto-lamps). My backseat passengers can both smoke charge their mobile stuff with a lighter in both rear doors!

It's crazy how they are so similar, yet so different just being two years apart and one being the absolute below-base and the other the top of the line.

The upcoming issues:
  • The AC seems to be leaking, the compressor works, but it's not holding charge.
  • The aluminum-wood trim is all losing its clearcoat. It's just peeling off and in some spots holding water. I had to cut some drain holes in the clearcoat where it was filling up at the carwash!
  • It's squeak city on the inside, I'm finding little issues here and there, but overall nothing extreme.

The clearcoat

Edit: Shrunk some of the photos and found a photo of how much the thing lights up when you open the doors. Also had the original dealer group keychain on the spares!

OH MY GOOOOOOD I love it love it looooove iiiiit. Want to drive that from one end of the country to the other and then do it again. And again.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Luxrage posted:

The upcoming issues:

The clearcoat

Holy crap that thing is mint. You have a fine taste in cars. be careful if you let passengers use the lighter to charge a usb port. They are designed to take twelve volts and make things hot. Not supply the 12v to something. THis will blow many fuses and in some cases can cause wire fires.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

I like em. The only thing I don't particularly like is how square the bottom corners of the grill are. Which they changed/fixed for the 2017 Raptor and I think are changing for all the 2018s But it's not enough of a deal that I really give a poo poo about it.

The headlights are even more c-shaped though. And even though I like the bottom part of the grill better, I don't particularly like the grill as a whole. I do like how the whole bumper is body colored. Don't like the wheels as much.

Hate the interior. If this is really the only color they offer I'll laugh my rear end off:

Yes, it's blue.

See the 2018s don't bother me nearly as much, they are a lot more streamlined. That blue is weird. IIRC the last gen Limiteds had blue as an option and it didn't look any better

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Luxrage posted:

She's a beaut, Clark. I love seeing that 5.0 intake manifold in non Mustangs (even if it's facing the wrong way).

e: those seats in the back are awesome, I missed them on my first pass through the pics. I think they're even cooler than the super cool rear facing seat that old wagons had. So it's a 9 seater?

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 15, 2017

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

clam ache posted:

Holy crap that thing is mint. You have a fine taste in cars. be careful if you let passengers use the lighter to charge a usb port. They are designed to take twelve volts and make things hot. Not supply the 12v to something. THis will blow many fuses and in some cases can cause wire fires.

Except even the most hardcore phone chargers are at most 25% of the 10A the shittiest possible wiring would supply. And given the wiring Ford used to use, its likely overbuilt to nearly twice that rating.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

And to people bitching about tonneau covers
Just to clarify, I may have scratched my head on the bed rug thing, but roll/fold up tonneau covers are cool. Very handy for hauling loose trash.

And to further distance myself from the truck hating weirdos, here's my land barge. It is not a daily, it exists to haul, which we do a couple times a month. 8.1l/allison trans/2wd. I only wish it was crew cab, although in truth the rear seat in this generation isn't much different between extended and crew. Just easier getting in and out.

Luxrage, that crown vic is friggin mint. I love it.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

The fold ups also seem good (maybe not the lovely 230 dollar ones but like the 800 dollar ones). Haven't decided which way I want to go, there's a fairly massive range of style and price and it seems like every single one of them has people that say it's amazing and people that say it's total dogshit.

Top three I'm thinking about are the Bakflip MX4 (folder), the Retrax MX Pro (very expensive roller, rolls into a box in the bed unlike some that roll up and over the bed), and the Peragon (weird folder).

The retrax looks awesome. Get that one.

edit: the rectangular speedo on that crown vic is the poo poo. They should bring those back.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

Except even the most hardcore phone chargers are at most 25% of the 10A the shittiest possible wiring would supply. And given the wiring Ford used to use, its likely overbuilt to nearly twice that rating.

True. I should have elaborated further. i have seen people plug all manner of things that require lots of power into a cigarette lighter. I tell that cautionary tale to everyone after watching a pontiac get towed because the heater they had plugged in caused the outlet to melt along with other dashboard pieces.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Not sure if I posted any recent pictures of this, but I'm finally working on restoring this old race car. 84 Celica Supra.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Luxrage posted:

SWEET. JESUS.

That is loving awesome. God drat. Are you planning on keeping the red one? I say sell it to fund a 351 swap, but hey that's just me. :getin:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MasonF posted:

Not sure if I posted any recent pictures of this, but I'm finally working on restoring this old race car. 84 Celica Supra.

Nice, I've always liked the look of that series of Supra

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Sunavabitchin goons are so difficult to please.

*Goon buys Raptor* - other goons swinging on his dangle.

*Goon buys Raptor Lite and intends to mod according to needs and tastes* - just buy a minivan you jerkass! Or get a full sized panel van!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
All this bed rug stuff reminded me of the Lincoln Blackwood and its carpeted bed with power tonneau cover.

I'm one of the weirdos that would probably want one because it's a giant luxobarge that makes no sense, but they really aren't interesting enough other than saying how bad it was as a truck.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Luxrage posted:

That thing probably gets better gas mileage today than my '97 4Runner ever did.

edit: The 5 mph bumper on that reminds me of the rubber bumpers from the late 80s/early 90s. I miss though. Now your beautiful paint job gets scratches or holes poked in from a twig's sneeze.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 15, 2017

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

MasonF posted:

Can I have your fenders? I've been looking for a clean(ish) set for going on 4 years :smithicide:

E; just kidding, I need the stupid unicorn 83's with the sidemarkers not wraparounds.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Luxrage posted:

1989 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire LX[/b] One owner at 72K miles!
Hells to the yeah that car owns hard, nice and I'm uber-jealous. Don't suppose you mind sharing the price you paid? When they show up down here they vary wildly in price.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.

Luxrage posted:

I know they're both Fords, but it's incredible to me how similar this is to my 88 Mercury.

Even the interior is super similar, it never ceases to amaze me how they can build the same car with slight tweaks and sell it under multiple names.

Your wood grain survived a hell of a lot better than mine considering the proximity. Maybe the sun and sand storms are worse in New Mexico.

Abe Frohman fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 15, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

As Nero Danced posted:

All this bed rug stuff reminded me of the Lincoln Blackwood and its carpeted bed with power tonneau cover.

I'm one of the weirdos that would probably want one because it's a giant luxobarge that makes no sense, but they really aren't interesting enough other than saying how bad it was as a truck.

Someone in my town actually has one of these damned things. I see it at the grocery store every so often. They're so delightfully weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Sunavabitchin goons are so difficult to please.

*Goon buys Raptor* - other goons swinging on his dangle.

*Goon buys Raptor Lite and intends to mod according to needs and tastes* - just buy a minivan you jerkass! Or get a full sized panel van!

I thought for sure I was going to get a Raptor even if it meant either paying 5k over MSRP or waiting for the price to come down a bit. I bid ~2k over MSRP on four different Raptors on eBay and made similar offers to at least half a dozen different dealers. Then I finally saw one in person on a lot (a special order that was already sold) and it just didn't give me as big a boner as I thought it would. I think part of it was that the crew cab kind of ruins the sporty nature and look of the Raptor, but I definitely wanted a crew cab for road trips and just ferrying friends and visitors around town.

And then I saw a Limited and it gave me more of a boner than I thought it would. So when I did the math on boner angle + price difference, I decided to forget the Raptor. I think Raptors are a great deal if you're just comparing MSRP to MSRP but when you start looking at real world pricing it starts to suck pretty hard. Practically every Raptor on the lot out there is between 67,500 and 70,000 MSRP. A Lariat equipped comparably is about 60,000 MSRP. That makes the Raptor look pretty good. But once you look at getting $4,000 in rebates and $1000 under invoice or so for the Lariat, and 5000 over MSRP for the Raptor, it becomes about 51k vs 74k. That's way the hell too much money for 75 horsepower and a factory lift. I don't really care about the horsepower and I doubt I'd ever be doing 70 mph down fire roads and jumping the thing (I will be doing ~5 mph up old mining roads and poo poo).

I think I'll be happy with my decision. And I should have the thing paid off just when Raptor Bronco prices start coming down maybe.