Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

That works.

Thanks for giving me permission to use the regular GF9 basing and flock I've used for years in warmachine
My Dark Angels are black/silver too. :v: I base them with resin ruined temple bases painted like pink granite with green marble inlays.

I am also a crazy person who takes way too long to paint my tiny men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Safety Factor posted:

I base them with resin ruined temple bases painted like pink granite with green marble inlays

Hey boy, post them bases. That sounds super rad.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Ended up listening to the badcast, it was p good.

15 Hours is far and away my favorite 40k book.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Played a game tonight against Iron Warriors and got loving brutalized. 1500 points, turn 1 he blows up my Land Raider and damages one Contemptor, turn 2 he blows up both Contemptors, and only on turn 3 do I start to do some real damage. He had a Shattered Legions force, so he had a squad of Grave Wardens that got shot up real bad by my Tacticals, then I murdered the squad with my Praetor, hitting his Praetor with an instant death hit from my Paragon Blade. That victory was short lived as his Havocs murdered the remainder of my Suzerain squad and my Praetor in one volley of lascannons. The game ended with a narrow victory for him, as we both had two scoring units in each others' deployment zones, both had slay the warlord, and he only beat me on attrition. I need some mobility in this army, as I'm getting beaten pretty bad by armies with more mobility and firepower than mine, and I want more cheap shooting to help with the whole Interlocking Tactics rules. I only got to take advantage of them twice this game because of how few units I still had on the table.

Still, good game, good dude.

chutche2 posted:

How should I base my iron hands?

I've mainly just done basing for fantasy games. Deserts and grasslands and poo poo. The only 40k basing I've done is snow bases for my guard regiment.

I don't really know what a 30k iron hands base should look like. Rubble and concrete?
I feel like rubble/concrete might blend in too much with the color scheme of Iron Hands. I'd go with something with more brown and dust/dirt colors, maybe some dead grass.

chutche2 posted:

Ended up listening to the badcast, it was p good.

Thanks! I'm glad Sex Cannon got me to read it for the show, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

I'll probably just use similar basing as I did for my trolls, but with some yellowed grass instead of the little shrubs. Pretty standard stuff.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

A friend of mine helped me paint up the whites on a few of my World Eaters, motivating me to make progress. She did this guy, although I did details, weathering, and decals. I figure I can play him as a delegatus, or even as a loyalist if needed.

--

Unlike other legions the World Eaters retained little of the strict organizational structure common to the chapters and companies of their brother legions. The Primarch Angron cared little for formal military institutions and desired only that his chosen commanders achieved victory whatever the cost. What little formal structure the legion possessed was further disrupted by the informal hierarchies imposed by victories in the blood arenas and warrior lodges.

Captain Konrad Asirikov was Terran born and an early inductii of the twelfth legion, the War Hounds. One of the oldest serving warriors of the legion, perhaps the oldest after the purges at Istvaan III, Konrad aided in the campaigns that ultimately recovered Angron and returned the Primarch to the legion. Known for an aggression bordering on psychopathic and an almost suicidal disregard for his fellow captains, Konrad was regarded as more a liability to the legion than any kind of asset.

When Angron renamed and rebranded the legion Konrad refused to take the new sigil preferring the old icon of a braying canine - as did many of the old Terran command. Punitively ordered to the fighting pits aboard the Conqueror - a punishment equivalent to death - Konrad fought for days without rest until finally reprieved and sent back to his old command aboard the strike cruiser 'Imperator Dominus'. Something about Konrad had impressed Angron enough to earn him a grudging respect and a second chance.

Raised to the rank of Consul-Delegatus, Konrad represented the World Eaters legion in many compliance actions throughout the heresy. In each, Konrad appeared calm and calculating, quite the opposite of his brothers who fell further into their all consuming berserker furies. Refusing to undertake the psychosurgical "Butcher's Nails" that drove the mind into bloodlust, Konrad retained his sanity, if it could be called such. His thirst for blood a cool and calculating one, Konrad's influence over the rampager cults and skullthane enclaves grew with each genocide he orchestrated in the name of the Primarch and the Shadow Crusade.

While his brothers fell further into their insanity, Konrad always appeared composed in gleaming white armor, well polished and maintained. Battle damaged repaired, dust and blood stains removed, and the golden sigil of the War Hounds of Terra lovingly polished to a sheen.

Delegatus Asirikov exercised unique influence over the few Terran veterans that managed to avoid the politically motivated purges at Istvaan III. Here we see one such kill team, bearing a modest sigil of the XII legion instead of the heraldic icon of the World Eaters. While none could be called loyalist, many such veterans owed their allegiance not to Horus and his new pantheon, but to the trusted commanders who shepherded them through the long war. While these petty loyalties would ultimately whither as the Butchers Nails and the corrosive influence of the neverborn spread their dark poison, much of the success of the Shadow Crusade would be marked by such fraternities. Echoes of what might have been had the XII legion never fallen under the baleful influence of the blood god.

(Vet squad painted by Dianne, and then I did the weathering, details, and decals. So yeah, I can't take much painting credit here, but at least this has me moving forward again on my legion. The dude with the nub on his backpack had a vox antenna that broke off. I need to source another bit and fix it.)

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 14, 2017

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SRM posted:

The game ended with a narrow victory for him, as we both had two scoring units in each others' deployment zones, both had slay the warlord, and he only beat me on attrition.

Winning like a true Iron Warrior.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
World Eater background is the most heavy metal thing. Nice stuff, GreenMarine. You inspire me to work on my own fluff. I particularly like the green plasma effect you're going with. For your vox backpack, you can probably use a paperclip. Drill a pilot hole, glue it in, and then cut it to your desired length.

I got some serious work done this weekend. Besides finishing my 6 fully converted vorax I'm getting close to finishing these badasses:

These are ending up as some of my favorite conversions. They just feel so heavy and dynamic. The smaller arms will be magnetized so I can swap the photon thrusters for melee weapons. The undersides of the power fists are also magnetized so I can give run them with dual plasma or dual grav.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

BULBASAUR posted:

World Eater background is the most heavy metal thing. Nice stuff, GreenMarine. You inspire me to work on my own fluff. I particularly like the green plasma effect you're going with. For your vox backpack, you can probably use a paperclip. Drill a pilot hole, glue it in, and then cut it to your desired length.

I got some serious work done this weekend. Besides finishing my 6 fully converted vorax I'm getting close to finishing these badasses:

These are ending up as some of my favorite conversions. They just feel so heavy and dynamic. The smaller arms will be magnetized so I can swap the photon thrusters for melee weapons. The undersides of the power fists are also magnetized so I can give run them with dual plasma or dual grav.

These guys are so dope, I love them.

Also GreenMarine that fluff is awesome.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

chutche2 posted:

15 hours is the most grimdark of books.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

BULBASAUR posted:

Are those myrmidons? They look great and if they are myrmidons this is an excellent way to get around the limited sculpts normally available.

Regarding fluff, I usually have ideas for my units but I think I need to spend more time refining the idea so it communicates more clearly. I liked the idea of having at least one guy who wasn't a dirty mess, and who was naturally psychopathic instead of forced into it by the nails.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I like the guy with the baby chest skull

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

First batch of models are primed, there's no going back now boys.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Looks bad, and dumb.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Here's my WIP Guilliman

Gotta tighten up some armor areas and actually get to his head/base

E: first time painting in a few years, gotta work on my paint control a whole lot more

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 14, 2017

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I uh..is he, okay? Looks like he's got a slight kink in his neck.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Frankly it still looks better than 40k Guilliman

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

ijyt posted:

He's- resting. Yeah.

I paint pieces separate from main torso, i just stuck the three large pieces under the same light source to make sure it was all coming out even. I slap on a bead of super glue when I'm done with all the details and such.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

chutche2 posted:

First batch of models are primed, there's no going back now boys.

Scruntmarines?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pierzak posted:

Scruntmarines?

What?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

The angle's making him look like a dwarf.

Cool Marine though.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

SteelMentor posted:

The angle's making him look like a dwarf.

Cool Marine though.

It's just a regular mk6 marine. Still working on the apoxie sculpt for my converted dudes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ijyt posted:

Guilliman is actually a huge Ave Ventura fan, we caught him in the middle of a very enthusiastic 'alrighty then'.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Immanentized posted:

Here's my WIP Guilliman

Gotta tighten up some armor areas and actually get to his head/base

E: first time painting in a few years, gotta work on my paint control a whole lot more

What Guilliman's neck looked like after he fought Fulgrim

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Guilliman is actually a huge Ave Ventura fan, we caught him in the middle of a very enthusiastic 'alrighty then'.

Ave Ventura, Pet Inquisitor.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Ave Ventura, Pet Inquisitor.

Eisenhorn is Finkle, Finkle is Eisenhorn!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
This has been my project for the past month or so, and I think they'll be done after a few decals at this point. I'm really excited to see what they're like on the battlefield.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Rad. Speeders are one of those units that seem amazing on paper but no one seems to use.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Those are pretty sweet. I've been cautiously eyeing Land Speeders as a way to get more mobility into my Ultras, and some cheap spotter units for Interlocking Tactics.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
good luck getting anyone to agree to play against your 40k models :rolleye:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

good luck getting anyone to agree to play against your 40k models :rolleye:
The trick is to slap MkIV arms, torsos, and helmets onto the gunner and pilot. :smug:

The legs are still Mk VII :negative:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Safety Factor posted:

The trick is to slap MkIV arms, torsos, and helmets onto the gunner and pilot. :smug:

The legs are still Mk VII :negative:

Yeah that was my plan. The legs are covered well enough by the hull anyway.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I think those volkite conversions are sweet. Call me old school, but even with the grim dork color palette of the heresy I like painting weapons bright primary colors :v:

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

tallkidwithglasses posted:

This has been my project for the past month or so, and I think they'll be done after a few decals at this point. I'm really excited to see what they're like on the battlefield.

Awesome.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I never got an answer in the slack, can pert still hit things with fists when he has bought the hammer?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

SRM posted:

Yeah that was my plan. The legs are covered well enough by the hull anyway.

I just did helmets and shoulder pads. The arms kind of bother me, but not enough to find mk4 arms. I shaved the neck guard down from a couple of the torsos on the speeder crew and it works OK. I think the one thing that's important to swap out is the helmet really, the rest can be modified pretty easily to look like older armor.

I also shaved the aquilas off the front and replaced them with plasticard swords. Can't have the DA showing the emperors favor :v:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

DJ Dizzy posted:

I never got an answer in the slack, can pert still hit things with fists when he has bought the hammer?

He should be able to - it's just a weapon, and you can always choose which weapon you're using.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
You have to file that aquila off like a power armor chop shop

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

chutche2 posted:

You have to file that aquila off like a power armor chop shop

I resent the accusation that my Dark Angels ever earned aquilas that needed to be filed off :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I too play Dark Angels and file aquilas off of most of my vehicles. :shepface:

Gotta make sure everything's historically accurate. In this fictional setting.