Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
pandora's tower is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CJacobs posted:

My friend here would like to have a word with you

Distant second.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wild Guns was great and I'm pretty psyched for the remake.

e: oh, it's already out? Noice.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

First impressions of Mass Effect Andromeda are... the story has some potentially interesting hooks and they've worked on developing both the combat and progression systems?

...I think I may be cautiously optimistic?

John Walker detested the first few hours of Mass Effect Andromeda, so maybe it's actually really good?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/14/mass-effect-andromeda-review-opening-hours/

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

First impressions of Mass Effect Andromeda are... the story has some potentially interesting hooks and they've worked on developing both the combat and progression systems?

Good lord that game stutters and hangs a lot holy poo poo.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Good lord that game stutters and hangs a lot holy poo poo.

Good thing I preordered on PC. :coal:

Does it mention anywhere if they were playing on a pro vs a normal PS4?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
http://www.parenfaire.com/brewfest/index.php

I'm hoping to go to this if we're comfortable enough financially by the time it comes around. It looks like a lot of fun! :)

Lotta breweries, I'll hopefully get to try out all kinds of beers and see if there is anything I enjoy.
http://www.parenfaire.com/brewfest/breweries.php
Do any of you beer fans recognize any of those breweries?

Also, the complimentary food list

Unlimited buffalo chicken mac & cheese sounds rad as gently caress. Also lol at there being additional charges if you wanna buy a pickle tho. Of all the things that they need to add additional charges for, it's the pickle.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fried ice cream. fried, ice cream

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

:siren: non-american spotted :siren:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm an American i've just never been to anywhere featured in guy fieri's television programs

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Eh, baked alaska has existed for a long time I'm pretty sure and it's similar enough in terms of being "ice cream, but covered in hot thing"

Especially bombe alaska where it is ice cream, but on fire

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The only time I have seen fried ice cream was at a Japanese restaurant, they had ice cream tempura.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StJVK1ic4EA

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 15, 2017

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Maybe Geoff Keighley will just drop the Trending Gamer award this December at The Game Awards because almost every winner turns out to be a wiener.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

hell yeah i thought this screenshot was gone

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mexican place down the street does a great fried ice cream with a sweet corn shell and mole. It's fuckin good my friend

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Mochi ice cream is good. Fried bananas with coconut ice cream is great.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm hoping to go to this if we're comfortable enough financially by the time it comes around. It looks like a lot of fun! :)

Lotta breweries, I'll hopefully get to try out all kinds of beers and see if there is anything I enjoy.

Unlimited buffalo chicken mac & cheese sounds rad as gently caress. Also lol at there being additional charges if you wanna buy a pickle tho. Of all the things that they need to add additional charges for, it's the pickle.

HiJinx is less than a mile from my house, pretty decent. Also this place does a sweet ren faire every year. Last time I went was the first time I'd been since I was over 21, getting all period-geared up is even better when you can get shitfaced during it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

FirstAidKite posted:

I live like 30 minutes from lancaster and literally every person I know is into craft beer so I'll probably be dragged there, most likely by my mother. Of which she works at a brewery that was desperately trying to get into it but they aren't on that list.

Troegs is super popular in PA, and Duclaws is huge in maryland. My current favorite beer is Troegs Troegenator. Angry Orchard and Wyndridge make really good ciders. Desperate Times has some really good beer and aren't that well known so I hope they get noticed there. Liquid Hero is like five minutes from my house and they have some pretty decent beer and a cool brewery/bar. There's a lot of big names there, Weyerbacher and Victory both make good beers. I'm just hoping Desperate Times gets some recognition, they were cool to eat at and they had good beer and just opened not too long ago.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Mordja posted:

John Walker detested the first few hours of Mass Effect Andromeda, so maybe it's actually really good?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/14/mass-effect-andromeda-review-opening-hours/

That guy is seriously a Youtube gimmick made text. His reviews are always humorless one note death marches. His Walking Dead s3 review was bizarre and ridicluous, and I don't even like that game. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/12/22/the-walking-dead-a-new-frontier-review/

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Combining beer and unlimited corn dogs, or for that matter limited corn dogs, betrays a deep hatred for one's intestines and bowels

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I watched Get Out tonight, and I have to say: Get Out and go see this movie! :mmmhmm:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

I thought World of Warcraft made up Brewfest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HII5hmplJVE

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

I live like 30 minutes from lancaster and literally every person I know is into craft beer so I'll probably be dragged there, most likely by my mother. Of which she works at a brewery that was desperately trying to get into it but they aren't on that list.

Obviously we should just meet up and you can give KCB & I a place to stay til we sober up >:]

jk I don't do the whole goonmeets thing, I think that kind of stuff would get awkward

Leper Residue posted:

Troegs is super popular in PA, and Duclaws is huge in maryland. My current favorite beer is Troegs Troegenator. Angry Orchard and Wyndridge make really good ciders. Desperate Times has some really good beer and aren't that well known so I hope they get noticed there. Liquid Hero is like five minutes from my house and they have some pretty decent beer and a cool brewery/bar. There's a lot of big names there, Weyerbacher and Victory both make good beers. I'm just hoping Desperate Times gets some recognition, they were cool to eat at and they had good beer and just opened not too long ago.

Well I know that each brewery is only allowed to bring 2 beers, so hopefully the ones that get brought will taste good. Admittedly I've never had beer so I know I'm gonna dislike it from the outset but I'm hoping to work my way up to porters and stouts since I hear they are very chocolate-like/coffee-like and I'd like to be able to find out for myself some time. If they have any wheat beers there, I'll try them out since I've heard they're a good entry level thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Randallteal posted:

That guy is seriously a Youtube gimmick made text. His reviews are always humorless one note death marches. His Walking Dead s3 review was bizarre and ridicluous, and I don't even like that game. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/12/22/the-walking-dead-a-new-frontier-review/

He's 100% right about the walking dead and likely Mass Effect 4.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm eagerly awaiting Atlus' April Fools joke about the Persona 5 release date.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Here's an incomplete list of utterances I've made while playing Nier 2

"Neat" "Whoa" "Uh, alright" "nooooo" ":prepop:" "UHHH" "Oh, cool!" "Dog" "Cute" "huh"

There's one bit of advice I wish I could go back in time and give myself but I daren't give even the most oblique of spoilers. It's a good game.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

He's 100% right about the walking dead and likely Mass Effect 4.

It sounds like everything that sucked about DA:I all over again.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
If only they made some dakimakura of the aliens

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
John Walker's review of Hollow Knight is one of the most insipid bits of ~games journalism~ I've read in a while, so I'm inclined to believe that he's actually a huge stupid idiot.

quote:

Hollow Knight presents a peculiar issue. What do you do with a game that is genuinely good, but rather unoriginal? A game that is so, so similar to others that have come recently before it, but is still a beautifully drawn, solidly built metroidvania? Do you say, “Get this one, because it’s the most recent?” That’s not a coherent argument.

No, you say "get it because it's genuinely good, beautifully drawn, and solidly built" you dumb gently caress, what kind of opening statement is this supposed to be? Like I know getting mad about video games is a dumb way to be but holy poo poo this guy's writing is so bad it legitimately makes me kind of angry.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FirstAidKite posted:

Well I know that each brewery is only allowed to bring 2 beers, so hopefully the ones that get brought will taste good. Admittedly I've never had beer so I know I'm gonna dislike it from the outset but I'm hoping to work my way up to porters and stouts since I hear they are very chocolate-like/coffee-like and I'd like to be able to find out for myself some time. If they have any wheat beers there, I'll try them out since I've heard they're a good entry level thing.

Uh, just so you know when they say "chocolate/cofee-like" it's just talking about undertones; beer still tastes like beer. That said, yeah, Weißbier is a good one to start with since it's not as hoppy as light beers and not as malty as dark. But they are the first ones I liked, though now I'm mostly into porters and stouts since I still can't stand the taste of hops.

Kai Tave posted:

John Walker's review of Hollow Knight is one of the most insipid bits of ~games journalism~ I've read in a while, so I'm inclined to believe that he's actually a huge stupid idiot.

No, you say "get it because it's genuinely good, beautifully drawn, and solidly built" you dumb gently caress, what kind of opening statement is this supposed to be? Like I know getting mad about video games is a dumb way to be but holy poo poo this guy's writing is so bad it legitimately makes me kind of angry.

John Walker's entire retarded gimmick is to be outraged and contrarian about whatever's in at the time. Funny thing is, I honestly can't remember if he was always like that or not.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 15, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mordja posted:

Uh, just so you know when they say "chocolate/cofee-like" it's just talking about undertones; beer still tastes like beer. That said, yeah, Weißbier is a good one to start with since it's not as hoppy as light beers and not as malty as dark. But they're the first ones I liked, though now I'm mostly into porters and stouts since I still can't stand the taste of hops.

i mean sometimes they literally put coffee in the beer

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Kai Tave posted:

If you read them in the voice of a Fox Mulder, it makes them more enjoyable. Not good reviews mind you, but something about the droning monotone works.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

Mexican place down the street does a great fried ice cream with a sweet corn shell and mole. It's fuckin good my friend

i was gonna say, mexican places are the only ones i've ever seen fried ice cream at.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I remember John Walker from RPS reviewing Hyperlight Drifter and giving it a bad review because he couldn't even beat a single boss/ after that review I never read anything they ever bothered to publish again. how to do you not have an editor say "gently caress you" to that weakass poo poo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

That really isn't what they appear to be saying there at all. (Just from your quote, I don't know about the rest of their review.")

"Why does this game deserve your money over the existing and already available games that do the same thing" is a question that comes up a lot. Games are good but if a game genuinely doesn't do anything special, remarkable or noteworthy it can be hard to write about because, yes, at the end of the day it comes down to saying "This is a fun game to play but only if you haven't played better games in the game genre already." Which sounds like a criticism but it isn't. There are plenty of "strictly B" games that get overlooked simply because the honest truth is that unless you've already burned through a lot of games in the same genre you can probably spend your time on a better version of the same basic gameplay.

(That said I don't think that's a bad thing and I think people over-criticize games for not being literally genre-defining.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 15, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MinibarMatchman posted:

I remember John Walker from RPS reviewing Hyperlight Drifter and giving it a bad review because he couldn't even beat a single boss/ after that review I never read anything they ever bothered to publish again. how to do you not have an editor say "gently caress you" to that weakass poo poo

John Walker is the senior editor of RPS too :ssh:

ImpAtom posted:

That really isn't what they appear to be saying there at all. (Just from your quote, I don't know about the rest of their review.")

"Why does this game deserve your money over the existing and already available games that do the same thing" is a question that comes up a lot. Games are good but if a game genuinely doesn't do anything special, remarkable or noteworthy it can be hard to write about because, yes, at the end of the day it comes down to saying "This is a fun game to play but only if you haven't played better games in the game genre already." Which sounds like a criticism but it isn't. There are plenty of "strictly B" games that get overlooked simply because the honest truth is that unless you've already burned through a lot of games in the same genre you can probably spend your time on a better version of the same basic gameplay.

He gives a reason why to play the game in that quote. Unless "it's a gorgeous, beautiful game" doesn't count as an endorsement.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 15, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think is point makes some kind of sense (Hallow Knight is fun but doesn't really do a whole lot that's all that interesting, although I would argue the way it handles the story elements is cool and very, for lack of a better comparison, Dark Souls), but the way he words that is totally stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

He gives a reason why to play the game in that quote. Unless "it's a gorgeous, beautiful game" doesn't count as an endorsement.

To be honest? "It's a gorgeous and beautiful game" isn't as strong an endorsement as it could be, no. Between unique artstyles, impressive graphics and genuinely strong visual design there are plenty of games that have a strong visual presence. It's certainly something that would make me want to play the game but it's also fair to say there's a difference between "makes me want to play the game" and "makes me want to buy the game right away." You, I and everyone in this thread have backlogs of games, some probably dozens of titles long. For something to push past a backlog of games there generally has to be more to say about it than "it's fun to play and has nice visuals" because, again, most of us probably have five or six games minimum that fit that statement and the only reason to spend money on another is because we're hording games for later.

• Locked thread