Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Outrail posted:

I hate taxis be sure they charge too much and it's impossible to get one when you need one, mostly because they have a virtual monopoly due to licensing.

Having a few sensible restrictions, requierements and a reasonable licensing fee would negate the need for uber. Of course the taxi lobby or whoever's got a financial interest won't let that happen.

Taxis here basically invented "Uber if it was regulated." It's called TappCar. It's loving amazing.

Sagebrush posted:

Uber's business model doesn't depend on robotic cars. That's a boondoggle story they sell the investors. Their true business model depends on wiping out all competitors, monopolizing the market so they can raise their rates to a profitable level. That's why literally any other ride-hailing company, regardless ofwhat they're doing, is an existential threat

Uber is like the Wal-mart of taxis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Why does Uber's business model depend on robot space technology and special snowflake legislation and revolutionary levels of corporate assholishness but Lyft is apparently an existential thread for them while doing none of those things?
Don't let Lyft's lack of desperation fool you, they have the same business model.

Lyft is just as dependent on self-driving cars as Uber, they just didn't decide that they can do it themselves and partnered with GM. They know there's no long-term future for them with human drivers.

They're also newer, so they can kind of swim in Uber's wake with regard to snowflake legislation, and they're not yet at the "we might not be able to find more VC"-stage that Uber seems to be fast approaching.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It turns out that Coopers (a fairly popular Australian brewery) has been financially supporting a bunch of Christian groups including the Bible Society for a while and decided to issue a special commemorative beer with Bible verses on the packaging to celebrate the Bible Society's 200th anniversary. The Bible Society apparently decided to reciprocate by sponsoring a staged debate between two politicians about Same Sex marriage which strongly stressed the importance in letting Christians have their say in the matter and urged people to "Keep It Light" and not get too worked up about the subject but also heavily featuring Coopers beer. This has lead to a massive social media backlash where a ton of beer drinkers have sworn off Coopers and a whole bunch of venues have also pledged to stop stocking their beers and even posted videos where they're smashing their current Coopers stock. It turns out that publishing a video arguing that there's good reasons not to adopt Same Sex Marriage in a country where 80% of the population are pro-SSM and are deeply angered by the government's refusal to act on that was really loving dumb.

The brewery has had to beg the public to forgive them, claiming that they had NO IDEA that the Bible Society was making that video and involving their brand in it so heavily:

https://twitter.com/coopersbrewery/status/841541620088561664

Yeah sure you had no idea your buddies were making a video advertising your beers. :jerkbag:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Azathoth posted:

Don't let Lyft's lack of desperation fool you, they have the same business model.

Lyft is just as dependent on self-driving cars as Uber, they just didn't decide that they can do it themselves and partnered with GM. They know there's no long-term future for them with human drivers.

They're also newer, so they can kind of swim in Uber's wake with regard to snowflake legislation, and they're not yet at the "we might not be able to find more VC"-stage that Uber seems to be fast approaching.

Lyft is better in terms of business practices. They pay their drivers for time spent waiting when Uber doesn't, allow for tipping through the app (Uber still doesn't and for a long time they didn't actually say it was okay, forcing drivers to put tip boxes in their cars if they want extra), and allow for trips with multiple stops directly through the app so carpooling is easier.

They also donated a ton of money to the ACLU at the same time that Uber was scabbing during the taxi driver protest in NYC over Trump's Muslim ban, which really served to elevate them above Uber in the public eye.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If uber/lyft/whatever got their algorithms right and included dynamic ride sharing at a discount that would be sweet.

Ie: hit 'I'm flexible' button and have a chance of paying 60% of fare if you get a slight detour to pick uo/drop off other people.

Do they do this already? Small town lift, lyftless.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Outrail posted:

If uber/lyft/whatever got their algorithms right and included dynamic ride sharing at a discount that would be sweet.

Ie: hit 'I'm flexible' button and have a chance of paying 60% of fare if you get a slight detour to pick uo/drop off other people.

I know Lyft lets you do this with Lyft Line, it allows others to join you on your way and makes the overall fare cheaper. Especially nice when you do it and no one gets picked up. So it's cheaper and you get there quickly.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Outrail posted:

Lyft Line / Uber Pool

What happens is that people use it cause it's cheaper, then get pissed at the driver when the ride takes longer and other people show up.

The second thing that happens is that the carpool doesn't pick anyone else up and the driver gets completely hosed for pay.

Both are completely terrible for the driver, they absolutely hate it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've had to user UberPool (which sounds like a pun that would be made in a Deadpool comic) in NYC when there weren't enough regular Ubers in service where I was. The first time was fine, minus the cramped ride. The second had us pull up to the second group of passengers and discover that they had a baby in a stroller and were too dumb to request an UberXL or similar service that could accommodate everything. They just walked off and the driver decided to drop us off, so it ended up being a normal Uber with an extended stop on the side of the road.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Austin downtown is loving tiny, just walk you knuckleheads

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

`Nemesis posted:

Lyft Line / Uber Pool

What happens is that people use it cause it's cheaper, then get pissed at the driver when the ride takes longer and other people show up.

The second thing that happens is that the carpool doesn't pick anyone else up and the driver gets completely hosed for pay.

Both are completely terrible for the driver, they absolutely hate it.

This sounds like 'great idea, terrible implementation/the public are fuckwits' situation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

`Nemesis posted:

If only Uber had billion of dollars with which to make up the difference…

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

e: actually, never mind.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

canyoneer posted:

The concept of "instantly carpool with strangers" is fantastic for reducing the number of miles driven and thus pulling cars off the road, but what we actually got was "uninsured gypsy taxis" which aren't really taking cars off the road.

Washington DC has an interesting concept that has evolved: slugging.
http://www.slug-lines.com/Slugging/About_slugging.asp

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

interesting that ive lived there for 30 years and this is the first ive ever heard of slugging, which sounds stupid and retarded and not at all like anything anyone in this area would ever do for anyone ever

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Platystemon posted:

If only Uber had billion of dollars with which to make up the difference…

Uber has never been profitable, they lost $3 billion last year. It's not a sustainable business but they'll keep burning money as long as VCs keep giving it to them. It's a really lovely company as evidenced by all their scandals and lawsuits.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Some guy started recording a show about a bad intersection. It is starting to pay off,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2X2K3bUyNo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
New 'Stunts Gone Wrong' compilation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wldv6Ee58B8

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

im pooping! posted:

interesting that ive lived there for 30 years and this is the first ive ever heard of slugging, which sounds stupid and retarded and not at all like anything anyone in this area would ever do for anyone ever

I remember reading about it a fair amount in the WaPo when I lived in the Maryland suburbs, though I never had need to try it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

im pooping! posted:

It looks stupid and retarded but it works, so not a great analogy for the area at all.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Lime Tonics posted:

Some guy started recording a show about a bad intersection. It is starting to pay off,

pro click

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lime Tonics posted:

I've been following this guy since episode #2 and this is immensely satisfying

Here's the a bit of the history of this intersection. They eventually put in right turn only signs and striping a few months ago but people still ignore it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNj0O9NBf1c

canis minor
May 4, 2011

You might have seen this video about polish MEP talking about women: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NEqlfWSOrQ

Now, the EP has taken action and suspended him without pay: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/14/polish-mep-janusz-korwin-mikke-punished-saying-women-less-intelligent-men

:allears:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lime Tonics posted:

I did not expect to enjoy that as much as I did.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Enos Cabell posted:

I did not expect to enjoy that as much as I did.
Yes, that was fantastic schadenfreude.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
JonTron made time magazine. Weird news cycle today. I blame the storms.

http://time.com/4701304/jontron-jon-jafari-steve-bonnell-immigration-race-youtube/

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Parts Kit posted:

Yes, that was fantastic schadenfreude.

That is a surprisingly pricey neighborhood.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It turns out that Coopers (a fairly popular Australian brewery) has been financially supporting a bunch of Christian groups including the Bible Society for a while and decided to issue a special commemorative beer with Bible verses on the packaging to celebrate the Bible Society's 200th anniversary. The Bible Society apparently decided to reciprocate by sponsoring a staged debate between two politicians about Same Sex marriage which strongly stressed the importance in letting Christians have their say in the matter and urged people to "Keep It Light" and not get too worked up about the subject but also heavily featuring Coopers beer. This has lead to a massive social media backlash where a ton of beer drinkers have sworn off Coopers and a whole bunch of venues have also pledged to stop stocking their beers and even posted videos where they're smashing their current Coopers stock. It turns out that publishing a video arguing that there's good reasons not to adopt Same Sex Marriage in a country where 80% of the population are pro-SSM and are deeply angered by the government's refusal to act on that was really loving dumb.

The brewery has had to beg the public to forgive them, claiming that they had NO IDEA that the Bible Society was making that video and involving their brand in it so heavily:

https://twitter.com/coopersbrewery/status/841541620088561664

Yeah sure you had no idea your buddies were making a video advertising your beers. :jerkbag:

I'm calling it now 1% dip in stock price for 2 weeks no actual damage done to their company. austrailians not drinking lovely beer will never happen.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Found in the NC thread:

maybe dont pass bills created by mormon special interest groups when youre state is < .1% mormon. Also gently caress em. Him losing was the only thing that gave me hope in the 2016 election

snergle has a new favorite as of 03:16 on Mar 15, 2017

Rasmus
Jul 13, 2016

I wish I was brian Blessed

Lime Tonics posted:

http://time.com/4701304/jontron-jon-jafari-steve-bonnell-immigration-race-youtube/

Oh boy. I think most people realized something was seething under the surface with him.

Welp, back to watching super best friends be bros for forever.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, just looking at her doing the splits was painful enough, then the slip came and I was all :gonk:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
That's a strange looking bedroom, is it on a cruise ship or something?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lime Tonics posted:

Imagine loving up so bad that Time writes an article about you loving up.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

snergle posted:

I'm calling it now 1% dip in stock price for 2 weeks no actual damage done to their company. austrailians not drinking lovely beer will never happen.

maybe dont pass bills created by mormon special interest groups when youre state is < .1% mormon. Also gently caress em. Him losing was the only thing that gave me hope in the 2016 election

Always thought Cooper's is on the upper end of poo poo beer.

Prefer a good bock or porter but gently caress I'll sink a 6:30pm tinny of lukewarm export gold on the edge of a mine pit any day.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

`Nemesis posted:

That's a strange looking bedroom, is it on a cruise ship or something?

I was thinking rv. My grandpa was a full time rver and one of the older ones he had when I was like 5 had beds like that but the room window is weird

Outrail posted:

Always thought Cooper's is on the upper end of poo poo beer.

Prefer a good bock or porter but gently caress I'll sink a 6:30pm tinny of lukewarm export gold on the edge of a mine pit any day.
so you agree?

so you agree?

snergle has a new favorite as of 05:06 on Mar 15, 2017

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Kinda reminds me of the room when my family took an overnight train ride when I was a kid.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

snergle posted:

austrailians not drinking lovely beer will never happen.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Thankfully, we've managed to entirely export the toxic waste known as Fosters and convinced idiots in other countries to actually drink the poo poo.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Lime Tonics posted:

The best part is that he's directly descended from an Immigrant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

bossy lady posted:

The best part is that he's directly descended from an Immigrant.

This is just kind of sad. The best part (imo) is he's worried about immigrants ruining culture but he uh... plays video games on camera for children to watch online... :911: