Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Considering 50 of those were influenza, you were more likely to be killed by hanging out with your buddy and him coughing on or near you so that may have provided some motivation.

Please don't make me go dig out old textbooks for a source, but I was always gobsmacked that war casualties in WWI were 90% to 95% military while in WWII it was upwards of 40% to 60% civilian. Again, that depends on how you count war casualties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Captain Log posted:

Please don't make me go dig out old textbooks for a source, but I was always gobsmacked that war casualties in WWI were 90% to 95% military while in WWII it was upwards of 40% to 60% civilian. Again, that depends on how you count war casualties.

I'm goin on deaths alone but uh, I have never heard a number that high (your original 60-90) for direct war dead.

But I'm a public health guy so I was always concerned with the pandemic anyway. I do know that it blew away the Great War in terms of killing folk, it had the opportunity to murder everybody instead of just the poor saps in the trenches in Western Europe.

If :dice: was more concerned with realism as soon as you got past like 5 kills in one life, it'd start a rapid countdown to coughing your lungs out and drowning in your own blood.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How do these unlockable weapons work? I try to kill 50 people with the medic sweeper, but it doesn't count any kills or revives? Am I missing something? Are these for the expansion only?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Anyone else getting killed on download speeds for the update on Xbox? I'm pulling a whopping 100 kbps down (checked on my laptop and still getting 20 Mbps on speedtest).

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

Liking everything, but it's going to be a while before I try Frontlines again. Played a game from start to finish and it lasted 65 minutes, and for about 45 of those it was one team pinning the other down on the last objective (before the Rush-type portion, which only took two attempts). Camping tanks galore, and we all know that in a server of pubbies it ends up being you and two other dudes actual trying to take the thing out. And the middle portion of the map is an absolutely infuriating snipe-fest.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I don't think I've ever seen over 40mbps on live, even with a 100mbit connection

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Blind Rasputin posted:

How do these unlockable weapons work? I try to kill 50 people with the medic sweeper, but it doesn't count any kills or revives? Am I missing something? Are these for the expansion only?

You need the DLC. It's out today for premium and in two weeks for everyone.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
French maps are good so far. Working on unlocking guns

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Beastie posted:

I know this is early but I want you to go with your gut.

Is this worth getting? Can you see yourself going back to these in two months?

Most of my friends list has gone back to BF4 at this point. I don't think this game is going to have the same staying power. I'll probably get these maps though since they finally have more than 2 loving tanks per side (in one map only). Not buying premium tho.

Again, gently caress you DICE for stripping out all the best bits of Battlefield.

e.pilot posted:

I don't think I've ever seen over 40mbps on live, even with a 100mbit connection

gigabit here, I never get over 60mbps

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 16, 2017

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Is it me or do I only have one grenade and one fire trap or other attachment now?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Orchestrated Mess posted:

Liking everything, but it's going to be a while before I try Frontlines again. Played a game from start to finish and it lasted 65 minutes, and for about 45 of those it was one team pinning the other down on the last objective (before the Rush-type portion, which only took two attempts). Camping tanks galore, and we all know that in a server of pubbies it ends up being you and two other dudes actual trying to take the thing out. And the middle portion of the map is an absolutely infuriating snipe-fest.

It's a bit of a slog. I played Fort Vaux frontlines last night as the Germans and the French were kicking our poo poo in within the first 15 minutes and in fact if it weren't for me disabling the second bomb at the last second we would've lost. But over the next literal half hour we pushed them back past point B and basically had a really long and drawn out tug of war over C. And then eventually we took out their telegrams as well. Textbook comeback.

Compared to Operations, I like the former more, but it could be fun every once in a while.

E:

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is it me or do I only have one grenade and one fire trap or other attachment now?

Pretty sure it's a feature now.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Blind Rasputin posted:

They seem to be on timers. The gas grenade shows 1, and after you throw it, a short timer counts then you get another 1.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

Grenades are on a 36 second recharge timer now. You only get one of each.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
It's the dumbest thing ever.

Standing next to an ammo crate speeds up the timer by 3x and each grenade has a different timer.

Thanks Jackfrags

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Hamburlgar posted:

It's the dumbest thing ever.

Standing next to an ammo crate speeds up the timer by 3x and each grenade has a different timer.

Thanks Jackfrags

wtf prompted this change? Sounds really stupid.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

support was nearly useless, boxes were useless

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm not too keen on Frontlines. Played a full round on each map, and while the matches didn't turn into the hour+ slogfest some people have reported, it still felt far too long overall. The thing with it being a series of flags in a line is that every match ended up feeling like Suez. It was especially bad on Fort Vaux where all the flanking options are cut way back. I'm not going to be adding it to the list of modes I play.

Kind of disappointed with the Chauchat. It's... *fine* I guess, but it's no replacement for my Benet Mercie or Madsen. Almost unusable with the AA sights I usually put on my LMGs. I am liking the Lebel, but only unlocked the scoped version so far, and I'm an ironsights scout. Love the noise that it makes.

Also, a bad Char 2b driver is possibly more annoying than any other annoying Behemoth driver. At least the train or dreadnaught driver might just be focused on blowing poo poo up to move the thing, but god I was on Rupture with a driver who was taking us verrrrrrryyyyy slooooooowwwlly between flags where most of the enemy wasn't. I sat in that thing for 10 minutes, got two front arc machine gun kills the whole time.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

wtf prompted this change? Sounds really stupid.

:dice:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

I AM THE MOON posted:

support was nearly useless, boxes were useless

Standing next to an ammo box and spamming rifle grenades owned actually

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Is it just me, or has anyone noticed support being really popular on PS4? Even when the big youtubers were bitching about support being lovely I found that lots of people played support. Just wish more of them used pouches! :mad:

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

FastestGunAlive posted:

Standing next to an ammo box and spamming rifle grenades owned actually

pouches did it better

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

I AM THE MOON posted:

pouches did it better

Pouches should still resupply gadgets, unless rifle grenades don't count as gadgets.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

lambskin posted:

Pouches should still resupply gadgets, unless rifle grenades don't count as gadgets.

they do, you now have an ammo that's better for gadgets and an ammo that's better for grenades. what a crazy world

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

and yet people are losing their goddamn minds over it, especially in the PC thread. some real good games.txt quotes in there

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

they do, you now have an ammo that's better for gadgets and an ammo that's better for grenades. what a crazy world

It's good

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

lambskin posted:

and yet people are losing their goddamn minds over it, especially in the PC thread. some real good games.txt quotes in there

Yeah. Plus PC gamers tend to be a far higher shitpost content most of the time anyway. They get pixel perfect mouse aiming, yet still whine constantly about anything that might slightly inconvenience them while they pull off 2sick2nastynoscope headshots from across the map. And of course all the YouTubers play on PC, and their constant high profile whining leads the changes in development.

The only enjoyment I had in the PC thread before finding my fellow console windowlicker brethren was the one goon who got SUPER ANGRY at anyone who liked bayonets because of the .0002% affect it has on your k/d due to being slower to raise some guns. I wonder if he still does that, he was special.

Anyway, I've spent a bit more time with the Chauchat and I'm learning to appreciate it. Slow rate of fire, sounds like a portable autocannon, hits like a truck. For places like Fort Vaux it's the LMG I would choose, it's like a super-chunky assault rifle. Need some sweet skins for these new guns, they just rotated in a new battlepack selection with treats for the French guns. Gimme.

Also:

https://twitter.com/hongkonghermit/status/842079651073740800

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Map lookin' like a Harvest Day motif and that is extremely My poo poo

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i enjoy playing assault and not needing to run around looking for a resupply to get more grenades. i play by myself because i have no friends.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Map lookin' like a Harvest Day motif and that is extremely My poo poo

The village stretching between A and B is so loving pretty. The watermill at A has a grindstone inside being turned by the wheel outside. You can get in the stream and run all the way down between the buildings, under a bridge, and it's such an idyllic little place. I actually loaded in on an empty server by mistake, and I spent like 20 minutes just wandering around, climbing that treehouse, listening to the drowsy buzzing of bumblebees, watching dandelion thingies floating on the breeze... these maps are lush.

Then on Rupture you also get those seas of poppies, rusted tank hulls, haystacks on furrowed fields. Everything is so pretty. Contrasts well with Verdun where a quiet village fades away into a goddamn hellscape on the hillside, or Fort Vaux where it's a moonscape leading into the bowels of a warmachine.

https://twitter.com/hongkonghermit/status/842079972130869248

If the other three DLC packs just add maps of this quality, I'll be so happy.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I'm very much looking forward to the Russian dlc. Snow maps own and will look amazing in BF1.

The lebel infantry is now my favorite scout rifle. It's easy to use and has great iron sights. Only issue is the lovely reload but I keep myself topped up so it's not a huge issue.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

hopeing and praying for them osin nagant to have a trench/close range variant in the russia dlc because i am a flare addict who hates too snipe

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if anything is going to recharge it should be spotting flares.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Just had two amazing games on the new maps.

Rupture: we were winning by a healthy margin, but their Char 2C driver was good, kept them parked on the most important flags, stayed hull down where possible, and even though we eventually took it down they somehow swung things to win 1000 - 997. Bloody great it was.

Also, I was on one of the outer AA guns in the poppy fields section, having a pop at some fighters (the AA nerf is real btw) and there were individual poppy leaves just slowly floating past on the wind. Absolutely gorgeous.

Soissons: I am now prepared to say that I think Soissons is one of my favourite maps in the entire game. Had some absolutely blasts on this map now. Particularly if you, like me, love cavalry. This is secretly the best cavalry map in the entire game. Everyone is clamouring for the new tanks, and because there are so many tanks on the field it's a smart choice to keep all ours out as much as possible. Great map for aircraft too. But while everyone is going for those, I was able to stay in the saddle for most of the battle. As Germans, the E flag near home base is another cavalry spawn, so hold that and you've got two places to find some horses.

Seriously, horselords get yourselves to Soissons and good times await. I loving love this map.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Do spotting flares put the spotting dot over the enemy for me? Or only others on my team? Or does it just highlight people on the minimal (seriously am I supposed to have this taking up half the screen while using them)?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Blind Rasputin posted:

Do spotting flares put the spotting dot over the enemy for me? Or only others on my team? Or does it just highlight people on the minimal (seriously am I supposed to have this taking up half the screen while using them)?

It highlights people as red dots on the mini map only.

Also, go into your game settings and increase your minimap size as well as the minimap zoom size so you can see more of it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

It puts them on the minimap and also if they are close to you there will be a little red band outline in their direction on the edge of your minimap

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
the new maps are so pretttty :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_aQf_oP_Oc

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Man, everyone was worried Fort de Vaux was going to be Locker 2.0 and it turns out that Locker 2.0 is actually Verdun Heights.

Infantry only, linear structure, tiny space, no flanking routes, and almost no cover anywhere. Maybe it's better if I don't use the Sweeper all game but I wasn't all that impressed.

EDIT: I haven't played Ops on the new maps yet but my friends are saying it feels like the maps were more designed for Ops than Conquest. Do people here agree with that?

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 16, 2017

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Man, everyone was worried Fort de Vaux was going to be Locker 2.0 and it turns out that Locker 2.0 is actually Verdun Heights.

Infantry only, linear structure, tiny space, no flanking routes, and almost no cover anywhere. Maybe it's better if I don't use the Sweeper all game but I wasn't all that impressed.

EDIT: I haven't played Ops on the new maps yet but my friends are saying it feels like the maps were more designed for Ops than Conquest. Do people here agree with that?

gently caress Conquest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

This new game mode is frustrating. I've played four matches I think, and they went twenty minutes, six minutes, five minutes, then over one hundred.

If this is going to be the LONG game mode, it needs to consistently be long. I've got poo poo to do, man.