Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

all of the above, we're touristy as heck. if we went to japan there's a good chance we'd be one of the mt. fuji walkers

good beer/wine/liquor is a plus

I've heard good things re: all of the above about Japan and Hong Kong but never been. Taiwan has them too, and like HK gives a little bit of the "China" experience without actually being China. Thailand and Cambodia are beautiful places with (if you go find it) great nature in addition to awesome temples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Have you considered Europe?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Blistex posted:

Yeah, for good alcohol, Europe's your best bet. If you want it to be cheaper, go to Eastern Europe.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'd say liquor is actually "good" in Asia for certain definitions of good depending on what it is you are looking for in liquor. Japan and Taiwan both have amazing whisky for instance. Korean booze is great though their beer is a loving war crime. Thailand and Taiwan have passable beer if you're used to American domestics. I'd stay the hell away from Thai liquor. Taiwanese liquor is something of an acquired taste, but I swear by it. And of course sake is fine, though I haven't personally been able to drink it since an unfortunate night involving onions and the local rotary club.

But yeah you're never going to find good wine made in Asia.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Blistex posted:

yeah I might just say gently caress it and go to germany lol

thanks for the suggestions though

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Blistex posted:

$15,000 a year in Property taxes
$20,000 a year in Home/Apartment Insurance
$15,000 a year in Auto insurance
$25,000 a year in Tuition/School expenses (for 4-5 years) which then turns into $100,000 a year to support their son who never gets a job.
$10,000 a year in random municipal and building fees
$10,000 a year in food
$200,000 a year in luxury products and trips
$80,000 a year in new car expenses (assuming one of their three cars is being replaced each year)
$10,000 a year gold/country club membership
$10,000 on whores
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
~$275,000 a year. (spending any less, or living a less extravagant lifestyle would mean losing much face)

that's actually $396,000 a year

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Atlas Hugged posted:

Thailand and Taiwan have passable beer if you're used to American domestics.

:lol:

And Phoenix is pretty chilly if you're used to Marble Bar.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Atlas Hugged posted:

Korean booze is great

not even if compared to like a cup of zippo fluid

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Thats why they go bankrupt

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

all of the above, we're touristy as heck. if we went to japan there's a good chance we'd be one of the mt. fuji walkers

Takayama in Japan was pretty touristy but we liked it a lot. It's a small town in the mountains, so you'll spend a couple hours on a scenic train ride (you can stop at Gero on the way for hot springs). Stay at the Zenkoji temple hostel, and eat Hida-gyu yakiniku at Ajikura Tengoku just around the corner. The old town is cool, and there's also the Hida Folk Village on the edge of town that I wish we'd had time to visit.

http://japan-articles.japanican.com/en/articles/a_gourmet_food_tour_of_takayama.html has lots of pictures including that loving excellent restaurant.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jeoh posted:

Anyone thinking that is an unreasonable amount of cash outflow should direct their attention up thread to the photos of Pikachu McLarens and Lamborghinis being driven in a foot of snow.

Hope they enjoy their run.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ The really "tragic" part of this is that the people who have managed to sneak only $5 million out of China have to compete toy-for-toy with the Coal Bosses who managed to get 100 million out of the country, and have to appear to be just as rich (spending as much money on luxury crap) or they lose face. In the end they end up going broke after a few years because they can't stand to live within their means.

Jeoh posted:

I am not an accountant, so I can't comment.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 14, 2017

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
Also if you have 20 million you can earn about a million a year in interest.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

Haha! Look at this guy who thinks the people we're talking about might invest in anything other than solid chunks of rare metals and property.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

You think any of that money is properly invested... :laffo:

It is all sunk into unrented property in Vancouver.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Since I have posted some LOLs from the lady side of Tantan, I decided to post some sexy mans from the man side:

This guy's profile was real and full of photos of him in Final Fantasy streetwear.

I said make up was common on dudes in here.

Adult with a bowlcut...

"..."

If they made a Chinese version of Miami Vice where they rode ebikes and delivered noodles, this guy would definitely be an extra.

"We'll be together with a roof right over our heads;
We'll share the shelter of my single bed"

This guy was real. All of this photos were progressively more anime. The frilly shirt was my favorite, though.

Barber: "What you want, fam?"
Guy: "A fresh patty and some fries."
Barber: "Say no more."

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Blistex posted:

Haha! Look at this guy who thinks the people we're talking about might invest in anything other than solid chunks of rare metals and property.

Warehouses full of copper, outlander.

This dude is basically a serial killer. "monster" indeed.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 14, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

i want some real advice from the china thread

assuming 9 days of vacation, where in asia isnt awful to go to between korea (south), japan, china, hongkong, other (insert non-india country here)

my fiance (not chinese) is rockhard to see the great wall some day and I'm trying to convince her that it actually sucks but that might be a losing battle

Go to Taiwan. Great country, nice people, cool landscapes, best museum of Chinese art in the world for your dweeb gf

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sheep-Goats posted:

Go to Taiwan. Great country, nice people, cool landscapes, best museum of Chinese art in the world for your dweeb gf

Oh yeah, there's that--the National Palace Museum here in Taipei is loving awesome if you like old Chinese stuff. Everything that wasn't nailed down or too big to move in 1949 is here.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Blistex posted:

I think I posted this scenario before, but this is how I imagined it going on for your typical "smash and grab" Chinese family moving to Vancouver.

The family manages to get $20 million dollars CDN out of China on top of the money they already spent to buy their $3-4 million dollar Vancouver mansion (2,500 square feet home) as well as a 1.5 million dollar apartment/condo. They have a single male son who is 19 and is going to start his BA at some West coast university. The wife doesn't work, and the husband has cut his ties with China and any hope of making additional money because he can't risk going back and getting caught for fraud.

$25,000 a year in Tuition/School expenses (for 4-5 years) which then turns into $100,000 a year to support their son who never gets a job.
$10,000 a year in food
$80,000 a year in new car expenses (assuming one of their three cars is being replaced each year)
$10,000 on whores
~$275,000 a year. (spending any less, or living a less extravagant lifestyle would mean losing much face)

They have about 50-60 years of living like absolute useless pigs without any manner of income before they would have to sell off a property and buy themselves another 10 years or so of worry-free living. Having a son that actually gets a job and manages to support himself would move them from that 50-60 years to 60-70 years. Now families who try and do the same without a 20 million dollar pillow are going to find that they're running out of money much faster because they still have to maintain that façade lifestyle. For the super-rich, their kids are likely never going to have to work a day in their lives, or worry about the money taps turning off, but for the ones that were not lucky enough to have parents packing 20 million plus, they're likely going to have to roll up their sleeves or tighten their belts.

This is all assuming that they don't go broke instantly due to a criminal/civil suit resulting from one of them running over someone with their car.

If you invest 20mil well in China you're set for life A+ rich man without touching the principle dummy

You think they bring the whole kit and caboodle over and break ties? Even in Canada that's minimum 400,000 in dividends and whatever if you don't invest like a retard

Edit: beaten but yeah. 100mil CAD isn't even that much for what these rich families are bringing over. You got no idea

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 14, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

From what I know of the rich in Vancouver their "investments" are cars and real-estate and sometimes businesses but very rarely actual good things like mutual funds. I don't know if it's a cultural thing or what, I've found it's the same with eastern europeans. There's a strong mistrust of high finance, that you need to directly invest in tangible things and just parking 20 million in a bunch of e-series index funds is "too risky" because it's not a "real" investment. It' makes sense when you come from a country where the stock market is a joke and or there's been lots of cases of people's entire fortunes being wiped out, or you come from a place where mutual funds and such simply don't exist.

Yeah, if I had 20 million I'd park it in a mutual fund and enjoy earning 5-7% or so on average each year while living modestly. But that's just not a common thing thing that's seen as a safe and logical thing to do in a lot of cultures. "investing" is risky, that's playing the stocks or giving your cousin seed money for his construction company. That's what a lot of people think of when they hear "investments". Even "old stock" canadians will tell me they don't trust mutual funds because that's "playing the market" and it's too dangerous, best invest in something safe with guaranteed gains like a house.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blistex posted:

$10,000 a year in food
$10,000 on whores

I agree except most of them only make it out with less than 5m. All the rich chinese guys I know are 1 crazy rich and like 5 of his friends that are single digit millionaires one-upping eachother

I didnt read your last post when i wrote this. But yeah exactly

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 14, 2017

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Baronjutter posted:

From what I know of the rich in Vancouver their "investments" are cars and real-estate and sometimes businesses but very rarely actual good things like mutual funds. I don't know if it's a cultural thing or what, I've found it's the same with eastern europeans. There's a strong mistrust of high finance, that you need to directly invest in tangible things and just parking 20 million in a bunch of e-series index funds is "too risky" because it's not a "real" investment. It' makes sense when you come from a country where the stock market is a joke and or there's been lots of cases of people's entire fortunes being wiped out, or you come from a place where mutual funds and such simply don't exist.

Yeah, if I had 20 million I'd park it in a mutual fund and enjoy earning 5-7% or so on average each year while living modestly. But that's just not a common thing thing that's seen as a safe and logical thing to do in a lot of cultures. "investing" is risky, that's playing the stocks or giving your cousin seed money for his construction company. That's what a lot of people think of when they hear "investments". Even "old stock" canadians will tell me they don't trust mutual funds because that's "playing the market" and it's too dangerous, best invest in something safe with guaranteed gains like a house.

Speaking as someone descended from Eastern European stock, it's a mixture of historical distrust of banks (imagine making money during the Communist era in intangible commodities) and a lack of financial education. Understanding how stocks or markets work is tough and scary, but everyone knows how property works: buy low, sell high. If the economy's in the shitter, at least you can live in the house and wait it out (and ideally, you can farm on it).

Also, their idea of investment is more like throwing capital into a business and becoming a millionaire like in movies, without knowing how things like risk, ROI, etc.

(Ask me about being asked by my aunt about what to do with a very conservative mutual fund for her 18-year-old son that lost 1% last year and was afraid of any risk at all.)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah my wife is Russian and her family is all in Ukraine and they got really worried when they found out we "played the stock market". Some of them came into some money, good money for ukraine, and thier plan was to just put it in the bank and even that was risky. I advised mutual funds, but they simply don't seem to exist there. There's no infrastructure in place for it, and certainly no "financial culture" surrounding it. Instead, my poor cousin went into business in china and got fleeced for like 10k (by an american, not chinese!) on an "investment opportunity". When you say "investing" that's what people think of. They think of a plan to buy a $10k container of "chicken paws" from an industrial producer in the US, export it to Vietnam, and distribute it via your chinese business partners who run a meat distribution business. If everything goes as agreed you'll make 13k on your 10k investment. Oops the meat dealer which claimed to be a rep from Tyson Foods was using an @yahoo.com email and took the money and ran and a bunch of the money you spent wasn't your own but chinese mafia connected investors???? drat, investing is risky!

Cousin is ok, she paid her "investors" back with her own money and she's onto her next chinese import/export deal. Also holy poo poo my cousin has some strong opinions on "the chinese", Slavs and Chinese are an amazing mix for business.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
that sounds cool, way more cool than mutual funds

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://s1.webmshare.com/WJLgo.webm

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
So tell your relatives that you have a great investment opportunity, guaranteed return on investment. It's, uh, buying and selling rare earth dirt from Mexicans to a producer in Airzona.

Then invest the money into a mutual fund and keep a percentage of profit. Tada.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Blistex posted:

Edit: Almost forgot! When he showed up to the school there was the customary "introduce him to the staff" function in the staff room. When he was handed the school swag set (bath and hand towels, coffee cup, digital alarm clock, and pen set) all with the school's name and crest on it, he just left them on his desk in the main office, and the only time they moved (for the entire six months) was when the custodian picked them up to dust his desk. They were still there the day he left for home.

I'm picturing something like Fry's dog except it's a welcome bag of monogrammed items on a desk

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Outrail posted:

So tell your relatives that you have a great investment opportunity, guaranteed return on investment. It's, uh, buying and selling rare earth dirt from Mexicans to a producer in Airzona.

Then invest the money into a mutual fund and keep a percentage of profit. Tada.

We do this for a relative. Its great!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

assuming 9 days of vacation, where in asia isnt awful to go to between korea (south), japan, china, hongkong, other (insert non-india country here)

my fiance (not chinese) is rockhard to see the great wall some day and I'm trying to convince her that it actually sucks but that might be a losing battle

China is perfectly nice as a tourist, I'd go there or Japan.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rome:Total War owned

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
There is actually two Taiwanese National Palace Museums now, A new one opened in the south recently

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Palace_Museum.

Still only less than 10% of their hoard on display though.

Most of it is underground in the mountain behind the northern branch.

Also there is an awesome Fish-Ball museum in north of Taipei, and Sugar Refinery Museum & of course the beautiful Tarako Gorge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teng_Feng_Fish_Ball_Museum

Then there is the fast train, Hot Spring Resorts, Sun Moon Lake The best computer conventions, Black sand beaches, Its all around a good thing.

Women are V.Cute as well.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Darkest Auer posted:

It's a mental illness. I knew a guy who basically refused to eat anything that wasn't his mom's cooking. God knows how or why he ended up in China, but the guy ate nothing but imported cheese and ham melted together in a microwave oven.

I think I posted about this in one of the other threads, but there was some sports interview with a CBA coach and he commented that it's been a struggle to get any of the American-Import teammates to eat any chinese food, instead eating exclusively at mcdonalds and pizza hut.

One of the players mentioned that during his 1-year (2?) term in the CBA, he ate Chinese food one time, at the introductory dinner his first day in China.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

ladron posted:

not even if compared to like a cup of zippo fluid

Makgeolli is delicious.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Usain Bolt ate nothing but McDonalds Chicken Nuggets for the entire duration of his stay in Beijing for the Olympics. He knows something we don't.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

wildemere posted:

I'm sure his wife will appreciate this, yes

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
not going to Taiwan, aka the best country on earth, is doing yourself a disservice though

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Going to the Great Wall will kinda suck, because Beijing and surroundings kinda suck. The Wall is alright.

Hong Kong is cool, and you can get by in English. Japan is also cool, and you have a lot of choices for poo poo to do.

The only Taiwanese people I know is this dude with advanced anemia and a girl who desperately wants to be Japanese. Don't go to Taiwan.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I hope people put flowers at that heroic tank monument.

Taiwan Number #1

etalian fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

wildemere posted:

There is actually two Taiwanese National Palace Museums now, A new one opened in the south recently

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Palace_Museum.

Still only less than 10% of their hoard on display though.

Most of it is underground in the mountain behind the northern branch.

Also there is an awesome Fish-Ball museum in north of Taipei, and Sugar Refinery Museum & of course the beautiful Tarako Gorge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teng_Feng_Fish_Ball_Museum

Then there is the fast train, Hot Spring Resorts, Sun Moon Lake The best computer conventions, Black sand beaches, Its all around a good thing.

Fish ball museum? That sounds loving amazing/delicious.

• Locked thread