Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I was confused until I realized I was thinking about Last Days on Mars. So many Mars movies! And none of them good. Without trying to spoil, LDoM would've been better as a body horror flick (even if it then got labelled as a Thing ripoff).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mars: The ultimate mixed bag movie setting.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Last Days is pretty good actually. Total Recall is good too and it's set on Mars. Or "on Mars", whichever

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Doom is a solid generic sci fi action-horror movie (and the first-person sequence is great), it's just a godawful Doom movie.

I would love to see a faithful Doom adaptation, with a literal demonic invasion. I'd be entirely okay with them going the Doom3 route and making it crazy horror, or the Doom 2016 route and making it balls-out badass action. I just wanna see demons invade mars and one bad dude laying those demons out with a sawed off shotgun.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars color trilogy is getting adapted, but I can't recall if it's as a movie series or TV series or what.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I can't decide if the best part of DOOM is that it's like 105 minutes long and the entire first hour is spent talking about space germs and evolutionary viruses or if the best part is that they made some cool looking practical monsters and then gave them about five seconds of screen time total using the plainest most unflattering lighting ever like there was some weird vendetta where someone wanted them to look bad on purpose.

My favorite part of Event Horizon is the brief moment towards the end where it almost appears like it's going to become DOOM starring Laurence Fishburne. Like when he loads up it should have just cut to the credits and been like Laurence Fishburne will return.......in DOOM. Brief image of Sam Neil's taunting face as the Icon of Sin, it would have owned.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSeI7Imlj8o

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I knew what scene this was linking to before I clicked it (hint: it's the best line in the movie).

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

dont even fink about it posted:

Mars: The ultimate mixed bag movie setting.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars is a pretty good B movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's great to see people experiencing a Total Recall of films about Mars.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

If we're talking Mars movies, who else here saw 'The Last Days on Mars' from a year or two ago?

It's real bad.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I liked John Carter enough to see it in theatres twice, making me about half of it's box office by myself.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Alhazred posted:

It's real bad.

Really? I remember it being pretty tight for a 10 million dollar flick. Then again I don't really remember anything about it other than I thought it was tight.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

porfiria posted:

Really? I remember it being pretty tight for a 10 million dollar flick. Then again I don't really remember anything about it other than I thought it was tight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsk3aNYlxiI

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I liked John Carter enough to see it in theatres twice, making me about half of it's box office by myself.

was i the other half? god drat i liked that movie

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

alf_pogs posted:

was i the other half? god drat i liked that movie

I still need to see that. The trailer introduced me to Peter Gabriel's cover of "My Body is a Cage", which is goddamn fantastic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

Doom is a solid generic sci fi action-horror movie (and the first-person sequence is great), it's just a godawful Doom movie.

I would love to see a faithful Doom adaptation, with a literal demonic invasion. I'd be entirely okay with them going the Doom3 route and making it crazy horror, or the Doom 2016 route and making it balls-out badass action. I just wanna see demons invade mars and one bad dude laying those demons out with a sawed off shotgun.

doom is weird because a more faithful video game adaptation (premise wise) would;ve been a much better movie. can't say that often.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Groovelord Neato posted:

doom is weird because a more faithful video game adaptation (premise wise) would;ve been a much better movie. can't say that often.

TARANTINO DIRECTS DO4M
FILM SHOWINGS LEAVES VIEWERS CATATONIC

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

John Carter is the kind of movie that has at least three different people spouting exposition at the start and they still struggle to explain the premise.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Alhazred posted:

John Carter is the kind of movie that has at least three different people spouting exposition at the start and they still struggle to explain the premise.

Doesn't the original A Princess of Mars story do that in like one paragraph? Just a quick "My name is John Carter, as far as I know blah blah blah."

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
John Carter has a terrible beginning and ending, but the movie in between is pretty great.

Also there is a good Doom movie, it's called Event Horizon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Event Horizon doesn't have nearly enough shotguns for that.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Event Horizon is the best John Carpenter movie not made by John Carpenter.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Event Horizon doesn't have nearly enough shotguns for that.

where we're going we don't need shotguns for scenes

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

UmOk posted:

Event Horizon is the best John Carpenter movie not made by John Carpenter.

Can you explain what you mean because I don't see the similarity

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Mars Attacks is the best Steven Spielberg movie not made by Steven Spielberg.

Halloween is the best Terence Malick movie not made by Terence Malick.

Natural Born Killers is the best David Fincher movie not made by David Fincher.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
John Carter somehow takes straight ahead simple pulp scifi and makes it mostly inscrutable.
I still kinda love it, but I know that's mostly due to loving the source material, Willem David, and seeing several of the Rome cast in it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

How the gently caress is John Carter hard to follow in any way? :psyduck:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MonsieurChoc posted:

How the gently caress is John Carter hard to follow in any way? :psyduck:

It's hard to follow the same way Game of Thrones is kind of hard to follow. You get lost in the nonsense words. But uh, it took me a few seasons to know everyone's silly rear end name.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You watch Game of thrones to watch two people talk about how they did much cooler stuff before they talked more about the cool stuff they did and you never saw. That's pretty much all that happens in the show before the shadow queefed baby.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

You watch Game of thrones to watch two people talk about how they did much cooler stuff before they talked more about the cool stuff they did and you never saw. That's pretty much all that happens in the show before the shadow queefed baby.

"Do you remember that time, when we were young? When we were in a battle with 400,000 soldiers, 12 dragons, 50,000 werewolves, 4 much bigger dragons and Megatron? I do."
*looks wistful, goes back to scrubbing pots*

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

I knew what scene this was linking to before I clicked it (hint: it's the best line in the movie).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtZz2b2sZY4

Also fantastic.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Richard Brake is also awesome in Doom, he's one of the best things about the movie. He's got the "smarmy piece of poo poo" archetype down to a science and he nails it every time.

He plays a similar role in 'Outpost' and he totally kills it in that movie, too.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hey alien game enthusiasts, theres a big 75% off humble bundle thing of aliens videogames. quality of the games is about as varied as quality of the films wahoooooo

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

edit accidental double pppppost sozz

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 17, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Just to break down how they did this since there's a bunch of DLCs listed, there are three different games on sale here: Aliens vs. Predator (the 2010 game), Aliens: Isolation, and Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Aliens: Colonial Marines is dogshit at any price so don't buy it.

Aliens vs. Predator honestly isn't that great, the multiplayer is very unbalanced and the single player campaigns are very very short. However in single player it does have some cool animations, sound is on point, looks cool and it's nice and gory. But it's nothing compared to Rebellions 1999 PC AvP game or Monolith's AvP2. Still there's worse ways to spend a few bucks. If it's like any other time the game's been on sale though the multiplayer's going to die super fast and that's what it's build around. Something junky about it is that there's a lot of animation and cool weapon behavior in the single player game that just isn't there in multiplayer. :( I feel like this game isn't horrible but it doesn't have much to offer today.

Alien: Isolation is loving awesome, but it is definitely on the long side. The presentation is super detailed and anyone that's fan of Alien, Aliens and late 70s/early 80s sci-fi movies in general might actually find it worth it just for that because it's seriously that good. Like for all the video transmissions/footage they literally rendered it, taped it, copied it onto a VHS tape, then recorded it off a screen so there's no gimmicky effects on the monitors you're seeing the real deal.

Now for Alien: Isolation they have a ton of DLCs on sale separately, but it's worth getting the complete collection because it's only $3 more. That $3 is worth it just for the Crew Expendable and Last Survivor DLCs. These are brief but are the ones where they got Sigourney Weaver, Yaphett Kotto, etc. back to do voice work and you get to walk around a painstakingly recreated Nostromo, they even made different models of all the gear so it's not like you're using the motion tracker/prod/flame thrower/etc. that you get in the main game but the same ones seen in the film Alien.

The other DLCs are all challenge mission type things that are kinda sorta interesting in that you play as other survivors on the station in brief scenarios but there's no extra exposition or anything going on in them, but it's worth they're included with the complete version so cool.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 17, 2017

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Is Colonial Marines bad in a funny way, at least?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Class Warcraft posted:

I bought it for $3 a while ago and felt ripped off.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Class Warcraft posted:

i played it pretty early on and it was janky and bug-ridden enough for me to return it immediately haha

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

dont even fink about it posted:

I bought it for $3 a while ago and felt ripped off.

I was paid to play it for weeks and felt ripped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I was given Colonial Marines and a season pass for free because I was managing a GameStop at the time and I ended up exchanging it for Anarchy Reigns which is a significantly better game in every way.

And for real, I'll got to bat for AvP: Extinction, Aliens on the Game Boy Color, the Aliens trading card game, Alien on the ZX Spectrum, Alien Resurrection on the PSX, Alien Trilogy on the Saturn, I like those games, but oh my god Colonial Marines is so loving bad.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 17, 2017