Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

can your 2fa not realise that this person is logging in from your own office on the same machine they used yesterday or do you need to protect each session for a reason?

azure can be setup to only force 2fa for users outside ur network but imo its better to just keep it on cause users will get confused when things work 2 ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Aphasian posted:

the tech department is the worst for this thing, doctorates in electrical engineering, multiple patents, don't bring their cell with them. some of them have legitimate data collecting/vulnerability fears, but i'm sorry, we already live in 1984.

lol if your business isnt putting a company phone in their hand you have no reasonable expectation for them to have a phone or let you use it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Raluek posted:

lol if your business isnt putting a company phone in their hand you have no reasonable expectation for them to have a phone or let you use it
what if you try to do that but the employee refuses

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

anthonypants posted:

what if you try to do that but the employee refuses

i think its fair to require them to use an issued computer (e.g. smartphone) while they're working, but it's also fair for them to leave it in a desk drawer when they leave for the day

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Aphasian posted:

lvulnerability fears, but i'm sorry, we already live in 1984.

uh we live in 2017 op :rolleyes:

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
dude interrupts an in person meeting to ask if another present person had just read his IM.

"hang on a minute".

the whole meeting stops for a bit and watches her reading her IM.

edit- followup on the IM

"hang on let me share my screen with you so you can read this email"

Iridium fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 6, 2017

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Iridium posted:

dude interrupts an in person meeting to ask if another present person had just read his IM.

"hang on a minute".

edit- followup on the IM

:murder:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Iridium posted:

"hang on a minute".

edit- followup on the IM

there's four of us on my team and three of us are in this building so we all have meetings in my boss's office. he'll screenshare one of his displays to anyone else on these meetings but he'll keep outlook open on the second and whenever an email comes in he'll read it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I'm guilty of that but in my defense I have a legit mental problem

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I'm guilty of that but in my defense I have a legit mental problem

i like your new av

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

*whirrrrrrrrs at u*

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

wow. i'm not sure how making me depressed is supposed to get me to buy your software...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

meeting. you spend two years of your life attending each meeting. at least that's what it feels like

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

this two-hour meeting is unproductive so lets split it into eight 15-minute meetings

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

google are going all-in on this idea that meetings are a waste of time according to their recent presentations about g suite. including automatic responses to people trying to book your time telling them to gently caress off.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

thats even more shocking since google employees are known for social collaboration and not jerking off to the idea of a single solitary 10x engineer

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

power botton posted:

thats even more shocking since google employees are known for social collaboration and not jerking off to the idea of a single solitary 10x engineer

10x circlejerk

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
currently using this weekly meeting to explain how a monitoring service like prtg works to our bad networking guy

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

anthonypants posted:

currently using this weekly meeting to explain how a monitoring service like prtg works to our bad networking guy

we have a full solarwinds setup with at least 7 licensed products and one of our managers wants to switch to WhatsUp Gold or whatever it's called because they "like it better."

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

we have a full solarwinds setup with at least 7 licensed products and one of our managers wants to switch to WhatsUp Gold or whatever it's called because they "like it better."
he didn't know what it used to communicate with other devices, and asked how to add a device

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
lol, did you have to tell the "network guy" what snmp is?

Famous quote from a "Senior Systems Engineer" at my company:

"What is an LDAP?"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

"What is an LDAP?"
we didn't get that low-level

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

"it's like ping, but more and harder"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

whenever i have a discussion that goes like that it does a good job of blasting away any sign of imposter syndrome for a bit.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

anthonypants posted:

he didn't know what it used to communicate with other devices, and asked how to add a device

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

"What is an LDAP?"

yee

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

did a teams meeting today but the audio was so lovely we called into the conference line to get stable voice and continued the camera/screenshare via teams

i now see why gotomeeting wants to do it by default

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i'm currently in a daily standup that's bloated into a daily hour and a half meeting listening to the manager describe daily standups to us and how we need to start having them after the meeting we're in because we're not making enough progress so upper management is requesting daily updates on all development tracks

i don't see this backfiring at all

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Rex-Goliath posted:

i'm currently in a daily standup that's bloated

but enough about my sex life!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

on a company wide call but we can't call in to the apparently external (probably webex) conference bridge because we don't have enough phone lines for the company to all call out at once

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
currently on a call with a vendor, listening to my coworker cough and clear his throat every thirty seconds and my boss alternate between misunderstanding questions and mute the call to complain that the vendor doesn't have detailed answers to our questions

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Rex-Goliath posted:

i'm currently in a daily standup that's bloated into a daily hour and a half meeting listening to the manager describe daily standups to us and how we need to start having them after the meeting we're in because we're not making enough progress so upper management is requesting daily updates on all development tracks

i don't see this backfiring at all

the meetings will continue until productivity improves

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
our dba is asking the vendor if they have a feature and the sales guy is explaining that they don't and my boss shouts FEATURE REQUEST and starts laughing

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

anthonypants posted:

our dba is asking the vendor if they have a feature and the sales guy is explaining that they don't and my boss shouts FEATURE REQUEST and starts laughing

man i never get to day drink in meetings :(

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

anthonypants posted:

your boss owns

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

anthonypants posted:

our dba is asking the vendor if they have a feature and the sales guy is explaining that they don't

this can't be real

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

your boss owns

tahnk you for highlighting this post otherwise i would have scrolled over it

i wish my boss did this today instead of jerking off in a windtunnel or whatever the gently caress he was doing. all i wanted was a loving created_at date added to my loving gat dang export

ive done that before, its super duper easy. loving doin to get us signed and beacuse its so fuckin easy

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Clockwerk posted:

this can't be real

oh come on, you know he didn't come out and say it, he gave the usual in this current version at this time we have not found this to be a feature most of our customers have requested and its something were considering for a future release and have i mentioned this pretty cool new gizmo we have here

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

on a company wide call but we can't call in to the apparently external (probably webex) conference bridge because we don't have enough phone lines for the company to all call out at once

your trunk line is a piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

your trunk line is a piece of poo poo

yt1pos bithc

• Locked thread