Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fipSEmdj3i0

This is Hugh Jackman's future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Marvel is already doing this. "The Redemption of Tony Stark" and then by the next film he's a prick again.

That's just recycling the story that prints money, they're still insistent that Tony totally changed last time, but now he needs one more encounter with the blinding light so one more set of scales will fall away.

X-Men on the other hand is quite open with casting the 3rd Jean Grey and not caring about how old anyone actually is, because gently caress, man, eye lasers and snikts, dude! We dealt with the Sentinels a couple movies ago and we'll deal with them in a movie or two without any indication that we ever even mentioned them before. Look, Colossus! Now it's the '80's! Crazy, huh?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gyges posted:

That's just recycling the story that prints money, they're still insistent that Tony totally changed last time, but now he needs one more encounter with the blinding light so one more set of scales will fall away.

X-Men on the other hand is quite open with casting the 3rd Jean Grey and not caring about how old anyone actually is, because gently caress, man, eye lasers and snikts, dude! We dealt with the Sentinels a couple movies ago and we'll deal with them in a movie or two without any indication that we ever even mentioned them before. Look, Colossus! Now it's the '80's! Crazy, huh?
I am confused about Iron Man - is there going to be a sequel to the Civil War movie, or is it going to be a Trilogy or something? Because gently caress-all happened in that movie compared to the civil war story arc, and I really want to see the cyber-spidey suit, Peter Parker's monologue from the POTUS podium, etc.

Also, Tony Stark wasn't anywhere near hatable enough in the civil war movie, he really needed to be way more big brother+steve jobs+erik prince.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That is pretty good.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

coyo7e posted:

I am confused about Iron Man - is there going to be a sequel to the Civil War movie, or is it going to be a Trilogy or something? Because gently caress-all happened in that movie compared to the civil war story arc, and I really want to see the cyber-spidey suit, Peter Parker's monologue from the POTUS podium, etc.

Also, Tony Stark wasn't anywhere near hatable enough in the civil war movie, he really needed to be way more big brother+steve jobs+erik prince.

I'd be surprised if we get another Iron Man movie. They look to be moving RDJ into the Sam Jackson, hey here's a cameo, role.

Civil War isn't getting a direct sequel or anything either. The next few movies will be set in a universe where Cap and Iron Man are divorced, then Infinity War will drop and likely they'll get married again.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Goddamnit noooo, Peter Parker's monologue was AWESOME! :(

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 15, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

coyo7e posted:

Goddamnit noooo, Peter Parker's monologue was AWESOME! :(

Guess you forgot that never happened thanks to a fantastic and well thought out deal with the literal devil.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Doesn't matter. A great scene is a great scene. I think that bit is one of the best bits of comic book writing of all time. Whether or not Mr Scratch changed it all back.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I'm just glad that a tired and worn out comic book plot contrivance evil clone! is being touted and lourded by goons in this thread in tyool 2017.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I agree the evil clone thing was a bit silly and overdone for a film that was trying so hard to be original and different in terms of superhero films.

The goon suggestions in the thread for what they could have done instead are even worse though.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

ruddiger posted:

I'm just glad that a tired and worn out comic book plot contrivance evil clone! is being touted and lourded by goons in this thread in tyool 2017.

It works perfectly as a metaphor though?

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
It does, it's just been done so many times before.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think it works because it's logan. If it had been anything else, it wouldn't have worked

Seriously, I think that's the best way to explain it. The concept of Evil Twins is done to death, yeah sure, but if you just focus on that, and not the other parts that connect it, yeah you're gonna roll your eyes

Because it's built around the most (arguably) popular character in X-Men...Like it or not, a specific mutant that has claws that can cut through anything and regenerate, make for a really good government weapon.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 15, 2017

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Most story elements in most movies at this point have been done already. You're living in the wrong era if you care that much about originality for its own sake.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Gyges posted:

Guess you forgot that never happened thanks to a fantastic and well thought out deal with the literal devil.

Guess you forgot the nothing in Spider-Man comic books ever happened.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

UmOk posted:

Oh poo poo, none of this happened. Goddamnit, I thought Punisher really did exist and did away with the bad hombre Irish in Hell's Kitchen

That is what you mean, right?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

UmOk posted:

Goddamn it, people really need to stop making deals with the devil. I had a sweet robot arm and knew magic kung fu until which ever one of you fucks went and made a deal to make Spider-Man never happen.

I hope you choke on your whatever half-assed monkey paw consequences you got. My wife was a Super Model with 3 PhDs, rear end in a top hat.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gyges posted:

Goddamn it, people really need to stop making deals with the devil. I had a sweet robot arm and knew magic kung fu until which ever one of you fucks went and made a deal to make Spider-Man never happen.

I hope you choke on your whatever half-assed monkey paw consequences you got. My wife was a Super Model with 3 PhDs, rear end in a top hat.

It must have been hard knowing every time she looked at you she died a little, realizing how far wrong her life had gone

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Are we going full retard and fighting right now? Cause let's instead talk about what's next for the X-Men given Deadpool is what's being used to establish a new X-Men verse.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Honest Thief posted:

When dealing with Pierce, sending off his colleague with an unconscious military guy, he shows an uncharacteristic restraint for someone who up until that point doesn't seem to have that high of a threshold. Even with his job as a limo driver he keeps coming back wounded regularly enough for Caliban to notice him slowing down. That's why I'm calling it contrived, because the movie doesn't really show Logan holding back that much.

That's one moment, amidst all the slaughter, that does work, yeah.

During the robbery sequence he gives the cholos at least 3 distinct chances to stop and leave him alone, despite catching a beating and a bullet for his trouble. It's not until they're about to give him the combination curbstomp/shotgun lobotomy that he berserks out. Logan holds back with Pierce because he knows that Pierce is connected to a multinational corporation who have a cadre of armed security guards with metal body parts who have already killed one person (Gabriella) will come looking for Pierce if Logan tries to disappear him and more than likely cause more problems. He was attempting to talk his way out of situation before Laura pulled a fastball special on Pierce with a length of pipe. In the cornfields he scares off the thugs with minimal violence, and there's no way he could know that they would come back with reinforcements.

Even in the ending, he tries to tell the kids that they can't stay in one spot for too long, because he knows what's coming and he wants to avoid a fight. I don't know how much more explicit they could've made the theme that Logan would rather run away from conflict (inward or outward) rather than face it, which often makes the situation worse and means that he has to do even more violence.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gyges posted:

I blame Supernatural for teaching viewers that deal with the devil is a stupid trope.

Gatts posted:

Are we going full retard and fighting right now? Cause let's instead talk about what's next for the X-Men given Deadpool is what's being used to establish a new X-Men verse.
Naw he was just running down a bunch of poo poo about peter parker. the supermodel phd thing was big in the 90s, iirc.

I would like to check out the new black or hispanic or whatever spiderman but I just don't read a lot fo comics anymore unless it's to brush up on some movie that's coming out.

Also Deadpool was pretty great, and it does allow an excellent way to just throw everything out and start anew. Or Lobo. Lobo would be good but I can't see him working out well on film.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 15, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nition posted:

I agree the thing was a bit silly and overdone for a film that was trying so hard to be original and different in terms of superhero films.
The little throwaway scene with the doctor applying Chemical Green to X24 is actually really important, since he speaks to him as a child. That reinforces the whole speech he gives about raising kids to be soldiers and learn to fight being rear end backwards.

So really, the film proposes that Logan choose what aspect of himself will live on through his proxy-progeny: the burdened self-sacrificer or the rage-filled monster.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

The whole arc with Xavier really made me think of the quote from Days of Future Past when Magneto berates Xavier. Specifically for "...Pretending to be something you're not!" I thought this moment was overdetermined, pardon the jargon. Logan sort of reframed it for me, made me think of many things, but in particular the X-Men as some kind of private militarized group. The X-Men were political in America, but in a superficial sense.

When Xavier, Laura, and Wolverine are trying to pass as a family, Wolverine knows how badly that's going to end.

This made me think of that moment from Days of Future Past for a few reasons. One very overt reason is that we find Wolverine sort of wrapped up in Xavier's well-meaning delusion for passing the group off as something they aren't: A family on a roadtrip rather than a group on the run. Failure to disclose this or even act with this in mind, such as opting not to sleep in the home for the night, isn't something I think Xavier should have anticipated, I just think it fittingly ends up channeling Magneto's criticism of Charles, at least in a way that forms another sort of echo/potential interpretation. I don't bring this up because I feel it was something Xavier should have avoided, I think the event itself is significant to underscoring a characteristic of Xavier that has been his undoing.

The other reason is that the film, Logan, features the one enemy/issue that the X-Men would often collude with, which is the US government. The politics of the US are made manifest in some GMO conspiracy and Transigen as a contractor. The films are often about mutant integration and recognition by the government, but the system the mutants are integrating into is never criticized beyond its ability to accommodate. Which makes the bleak future of Logan feel very significant as far as how the film suggests the government and private corporations have taken Mutants and turned them into copyright and property to be exploited. Magneto was someone who never saw humans as part of the future, and he attacked government institutions with that ideology in mind. He's oblivious in his own way, while Xavier neither anticipated his own decline nor were the X-Men or whatever was left of them really able to anticipate the political situation that would undo all of mutant kind. So it feels like this film really underscores the failure of Charles and his X-Men to consider political systems beyond Mutant integration.

Mutants just end up as another commodity for privatization and exploitation. The ideal of Transigen is just another manifestation of Weapon X, only corporate, with Mutants as intellectual property to be mass produced or turned into a product line. The film even deals with the company attempting to ensure that their property never falls into the "wrong hands." Gabriela's smartphone video explicitly says what Transigen is doing is illegal. But by this point, the story ends up being about a group of refugees seeking political asylum from the United States in light of their status as property or marginal/unrecognized

All of which is to say, it made me think of Magneto and Xavier's relationship as something beyond the forced fitted Martin Luther King Jr./Malcom X reading.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Just saw it, and I will go through the rest of the thread later. Great film, and great ending to the Wolverine trilogy, if not the X-franchise.

Anyone else catch-up that the boat thing was Logan's version of a murder-suicide pact? Because at that point, he couldn't be sure what would happen once Xavier died. Even if he left it to Xavier's old age, it would still have ended with him eating that adamantium bullet.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Kal-L posted:

Just saw it, and I will go through the rest of the thread later. Great film, and great ending to the Wolverine trilogy, if not the X-franchise.

Anyone else catch-up that the boat thing was Logan's version of a murder-suicide pact? Because at that point, he couldn't be sure what would happen once Xavier died. Even if he left it to Xavier's old age, it would still have ended with him eating that adamantium bullet.

I could see that, but I guess why spend $70k on a nice boat if that's your plan? Feel like they could kill themselves on pretty much any boat. Maybe that's me just being cheap.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Any thoughts on Xavier's last words?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Alan_Shore posted:

Any thoughts on Xavier's last words?

I wasn't able to hear them, what were they?

I know he said something, but people in my theater were all "What are you doing?! Go get the kid!" as if the people on the screen could hear them.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

He was talking about the boat. He says something like "The boat, the boat, Suncatcher" or whatever the name of the boat was.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Anals of History posted:

I could see that, but I guess why spend $70k on a nice boat if that's your plan? Feel like they could kill themselves on pretty much any boat. Maybe that's me just being cheap.

I figured the boat was so Xavier could be out of the tank without risk of harming anyone (but Logan).

It's great how this movie, using Xavier's declining health, turned the archetype of the professor as the wise and responsible teacher on its head.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
Saw it today and absolutely adored it. It doesn't always do a great job of finding a balance between "violence is awful" vs "look at this loving rad violence," and there are some weird style choices ( I guess mutton chops is part of the Weapon-X design doc right there with the adamantium skeleton judging by X-24's grooming), but it does a way better job of succeeding and failing. And I think that mostly has to do with the primary character trinity. Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart could play these characters while moonwalking in their sleep, but that adds such a naturalism to their performances that gets used in a way that wasn't really explored in earlier X-franchise films. There's gravitas to seeing these interpretations of these characters in their twilight years. And Dafne Keen did an awesome job of holding her own through emoting and body language. Even Boyd Holbrook's Pierce is fun, though I wish he had more to do in the movie.

As for the ending, I thought it was actually quite smart to have Wolverine's most dangerous enemy just be... himself. The character's entire arc in both the films and comics is to break free of his indoctrination and weaponization at the hands of Weapon-X, and become more human. But the terrible truth is that you can always build a better gun. Creating a version of Logan with his humanity completely removed is the ultimate insult to (and commentary on) the aforementioned growth of the character throughout his history. And to have him literally be able to tear into that thing that he has fought so hard to bury acts as a bit of a narrative catharsis.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Uhh, it's been 40 years or something and you didn't know that Wolverine's facial hair regenerates? I mean he's ALWAYS got the chops, they're even there a little in OML

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
What? No, I was saying in the case of X-24 it was just funny that he was decked out with them by design. Like the audience wouldn't know who he was if he didn't have them. He could have been shaved bald, or showed up looking like he just crawled out of Jumanji like Logan does at the beginning of The Wolverine and it wouldn't have mattered once he popped the claws.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah that's like saying you could have logan cloned without the clone having hairy forearms. It is not possible. Besides audiences are dumb.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
X-24 is all about robbing Logan of his identity and personhood. Him being on brand with the hair makes sense.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Timeless Appeal posted:

X-24 is all about robbing Logan of his identity and personhood. Him being on brand with the hair makes sense.

I dunno, it seemed like neither of them had the trademark hair. X-24 had a buzz and Logan had just regular guy hair. https://www.quirkybyte.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/x24-logan.jpg

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Yeah but you still all got it right, no matter the haircut?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sure, the theme is there, supported by things other than the hair

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Phew!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
looking forward to SMG trying to hot take this movie only to go 'oh poo poo it's already a christian marxist film what do i do???'

e: "weird thoughts"

"i do not actually exist"

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Congrats on getting mad at his posting even in his absence I guess

• Locked thread