Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ZombieParts posted:

If 20 watt mini heads or whatever were worth a drat live I would have switched to one a long time ago. Anything less than a 40 water is pretty tragic for gigs. The headroom on those valveking minis drops to nothing almost immediately. Suddenly you cant do any meaningful adjustments to tone through the EQ and every pedal just seems to affect the gain but doesn't push tone. It's weird because they're louder but not anymore effective than a line6 combo past that one meter in front wherepeople think they sound ok.

I've pulled live shows with a 25-watt Mesa/Boogie Recto-Verb head going to 2x12 and/or 4x12 cabs just fine. Not to mention rocking both combo and head versions of the Vox AC30 consistently in the past. My sole experience with the Valveking range from Peavey was with one of the mid 00's 100-watt combo, though, so if you were trying those then yeah, I got nothin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
It takes ten times the watts to double the db level of an amp. So if my math isn't absolute poo poo(it probably is) going from 20 watts to 40 is only a 20% increase in actual loudness.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

ZombieParts posted:

Dsl40c is the best combo amp out right now. Mine is two years old now and no issues. I can get 800 tones but some of that lushness is missing. Still has a pretty gnarly growl.

DSL's are legit great but they're not a plexi / 800 so they get passed over a lot.

I liked mine until I threw a comp that boosted my signal a bit in front of it and now I love it.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

butros posted:

Also take a look at Hovercraft. They are modded Jet Cities that sound p good [in YouTube clips].

Hovercrafts are interesting. Nial is a confusing guy- he had Hovercraft up and running and cranking out amps, and then for some reason he downsized the company back to just one person, himself. He's come under some scrutiny for not disclosing that he's repurposing other amplifiers, modifying them, and then selling them as something 'new'.

I have two Caribou's, and they sound very different from one another, but tuned to drop Bb with P90s in an old Guild M75, they sounds pretty good to me.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Smash it Smash hit posted:

It takes ten times the watts to double the db level of an amp. So if my math isn't absolute poo poo(it probably is) going from 20 watts to 40 is only a 20% increase in actual loudness.

Lay speaker designer / 90's basshead checking in.

All other things in the system being equal (and capable of handling the power increase...), if you double power of an output stage, you'll get 3db more output.

That doesn't speak to the reality that some amps are just more efficient at getting more of the input out the door as sound. Ergo, 20 watt amp X trounces 20 watt amp Y in perceived volume. Could be efficiencies anywhere in the circuit that allow X to put out more sound than Y with a 20 watt output stage. And then there's the frequency response, compression characteristics and thermal capacity of the speaker, the nature of the enclosure said speaker is in... I mean, hell... if there's a specific passband you're trying to output in your band or mix, just finding a different driver for your cabinet that puts out 3db more in that range doubles your effective power in that passband.

3db shifts in perceived volume are detectable by most folks, but it's kind of circumstance-dependent whether that last 3db you get from that doubling of (effective) power puts you over where you can be heard "in the mix".

The only two amps of "same" wattages I've ever heard back to back were a Fender Bassbreaker 15 vs a Vox AC15. No clue what cones either of them are using, and I wasn't sitting there with an RTA doing frequency response breakdowns, but that Vox walked away from the Fender in perceived loudness. I presume it has to do with localizations of high frequencies being intensity-based as opposed to midrange path-length-based, and the high end of the Vox just made it sound louder.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Iirc vox are voiced very high mid. Fenders tend to be either low or treble

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Iirc vox are voiced very high mid. Fenders tend to be either low or treble

The FMV stack has a very pronounced tonality, but it's slightly differently architected by everybody, and it doesn't help that carbon comp resistors will drift up in resistance over time, as well.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

jwh posted:

He's come under some scrutiny for not disclosing that he's repurposing other amplifiers, modifying them, and then selling them as something 'new'.

Dude could be the next Alexander Dumble, except for Doomdads

I really wish he'd open orders again because I really want a custom Dwarvenaut.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

jwh posted:

He's come under some scrutiny for not disclosing that he's repurposing other amplifiers, modifying them, and then selling them as something 'new'.

This is funny because that's exactly what like 90% of all amp makers do.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GreatGreen posted:

This is funny because that's exactly what like 90% of all amp makers do.

Entire companies were founded on the back of the Fender Bassman

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Its not really a volume thing, even a 15 watt can get loud enough to cause serious pain. The issue is it will be "classic rock hairy, power stage working overtime, hope you don't need headoom" loud. Rather than "smooth highs and tight lows, takes any pedal you want" loud.

I used to gig with a distortion pedal and a delay into a tiny terror and it was fantastic if you could mic it at its exact sweet spot but there was a spot juuuust beyond that where it lost all its headroom. Then I had an egnator 20 watt that just had harsh sounding power tube distortion.

As Alleric points out its amp dependant though.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 16, 2017

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
lol just played a house with a 610/612 and all the other bands were using 212/115 combos. im such a dick

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

lol just played a house with a 610/612 and all the other bands were using 212/115 combos. im such a dick
If you moved your own poo poo you're a goddamned hero, not a dick.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Remulak posted:

If you moved your own poo poo you're a goddamned hero, not a dick.

its a two piece so my drummer helps but yeah we move all the stuff ourselves. i cannnn move the 612/610 myself and have furniture dollies but its much easier with a buddy :D

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

massive spider posted:

Its not really a volume thing, even a 15 watt can get loud enough to cause serious pain. The issue is it will be "classic rock hairy, power stage working overtime, hope you don't need headoom" loud. Rather than "smooth highs and tight lows, takes any pedal you want" loud.

I used to gig with a distortion pedal and a delay into a tiny terror and it was fantastic if you could mic it at its exact sweet spot but there was a spot juuuust beyond that where it lost all its headroom. Then I had an egnator 20 watt that just had harsh sounding power tube distortion.

As Alleric points out its amp dependant though.

Seeing as how a Celestion V30's efficiency rating is 100db (I'm presuming they're using the standard 1khz @ 1 watt @ 1 meter), you plug that thing into an HT1 at full tilt and you're risking hearing loss if you're closer than 3 feet.

I can't find the paper now, but there was a recent study that showed that high db levels of bass frequencies actually caused the ear to protect itself across the entire listening band, but regardless... guitar is a midrange instrument, and midrange frequencies are absolutely the most dangerous to the inner ear at high decibels. Permanent hearing loss is actually one of the nicest things that can happen. Tinnitus, or this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperacusis ... egads.

Ear protection is your friend.

Sorry for the siderail. I know too many musicians and bassheads that blew their drat ears off.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

I played a basement with a 4x10 2x15 cab and a 6x12, that was just my side of the stage, gently caress everyone's hearing.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 16, 2017

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Shugojin posted:

Entire companies were founded on the back of the Fender Bassman

have you read Richard Kuehnel's book about the 5F6-A? It's pretty fascinating.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Alleric posted:

Seeing as how a Celestion V30's efficiency rating is 100db (I'm presuming they're using the standard 1khz @ 1 watt @ 1 meter), you plug that thing into an HT1 at full tilt and you're risking hearing loss if you're closer than 3 feet.

I can't find the paper now, but there was a recent study that showed that high db levels of bass frequencies actually caused the ear to protect itself across the entire listening band, but regardless... guitar is a midrange instrument, and midrange frequencies are absolutely the most dangerous to the inner ear at high decibels. Permanent hearing loss is actually one of the nicest things that can happen. Tinnitus, or this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperacusis ... egads.

Ear protection is your friend.

Sorry for the siderail. I know too many musicians and bassheads that blew their drat ears off.

I love reading about this stuff and I always find it depressing how only like 2% of the music world even cares.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Yeah, I've gotten to the point where on a day to day basis I don't play louder than TV in a quiet house volume.

It's fun to crank the poo poo out of things once in a blue moon with hearing protection but that's about it for me.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I play 400+ watts through a 612/610 with crazy feedback and fuzz and often forget ear protection lol I'm going to go deaf

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Aha, thanks for reminding me about earpro.

Seeing Dinosaur Jr in a small club tonight!

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

I play 400+ watts through a 612/610 with crazy feedback and fuzz and often forget ear protection lol I'm going to go deaf

So presuming your cones are V30's, for sake of argument... and you're splitting wattage evenly between each cabinet (each cab measures out to the same ohm rating).

Then you've got a 612 that should put out ~107.5 db at 6 watts (each driver getting it's 1W reference), and scale that out to the full 200 and you've got ~130db on paper at 3 feet. Add in the 610 @ 200 watts and we'll call it 133db at 3 feet.

~6db falloff per doubling of distance so, again on paper, your ears wouldn't be safe at full tilt until you were around 100 feet away from that setup.

I was at a conference fall before last at a vendor party where they rented out a local bar, had a hard rock cover band, etc... The room was maybe 40 feet wide and 150 feet deep and both guitarists had JCM800s with full stacks. I'm a big old geek so the ballpark math popped into my head pretty quickly. I bee-lined for the people I needed to speak to prior to the show starting and then went by the stage. Both amps on standby, both amps had preamp gain at about 6 and the masters dimed. I warned my contacts. When the opening chord of the first song went off, the db reader on my phone said 123db at the back of the room.

I left within minutes and I think my ears were still ringing after I'd walked back to the hotel. I found out later the party became a ghost-town after about 10 minutes. You could scream as loud as you wanted and nobody standing next to you could hear you. Makes for craptastic "networking".

Transients at that SPL are not good, but they're not what will shred you. Sustained midrange sounds at > 100db will just murder your hearing.

I'm not saying don't run that setup, but seriously... be mindful of your levels on stage and wear hearing protection. :ohdear:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Remulak posted:

Aha, thanks for reminding me about earpro.

Seeing Dinosaur Jr in a small club tonight!

Stand directly in front of Lou Barlow's bass rig to hear it balanced with the guitar.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Alleric posted:

Sustained midrange sounds at > 100db will just murder your hearing.

i believe the technical term for that is the full motorhead

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i believe the technical term for that is the full motorhead

Dude, never go full Motörhead.

Man, now I'm compelled to listen to Ace of Spades.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Alleric posted:

So presuming your cones are V30's, for sake of argument... and you're splitting wattage evenly between each cabinet (each cab measures out to the same ohm rating).

Then you've got a 612 that should put out ~107.5 db at 6 watts (each driver getting it's 1W reference), and scale that out to the full 200 and you've got ~130db on paper at 3 feet. Add in the 610 @ 200 watts and we'll call it 133db at 3 feet.

~6db falloff per doubling of distance so, again on paper, your ears wouldn't be safe at full tilt until you were around 100 feet away from that setup.

I was at a conference fall before last at a vendor party where they rented out a local bar, had a hard rock cover band, etc... The room was maybe 40 feet wide and 150 feet deep and both guitarists had JCM800s with full stacks. I'm a big old geek so the ballpark math popped into my head pretty quickly. I bee-lined for the people I needed to speak to prior to the show starting and then went by the stage. Both amps on standby, both amps had preamp gain at about 6 and the masters dimed. I warned my contacts. When the opening chord of the first song went off, the db reader on my phone said 123db at the back of the room.

I left within minutes and I think my ears were still ringing after I'd walked back to the hotel. I found out later the party became a ghost-town after about 10 minutes. You could scream as loud as you wanted and nobody standing next to you could hear you. Makes for craptastic "networking".

Transients at that SPL are not good, but they're not what will shred you. Sustained midrange sounds at > 100db will just murder your hearing.

I'm not saying don't run that setup, but seriously... be mindful of your levels on stage and wear hearing protection. :ohdear:

GT75 Webers and Eminence 10a bass drivers but yeah I should totally use ear plugs. I usually put one in the ear facing my rig when we play live and when we practice I wear full ear-around head muffs

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Im just deaf now from standing directly infront of the same type setup for years. Felt pretty awesome getting here though so I cant complain.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

After The War posted:

Stand directly in front of Lou Barlow's bass rig to hear it balanced with the guitar.

Aha, I shoved myself from stage right to stage left to do this, thanks.

I can't describe how seeing Lou live with Dino was such an inspiration. I've seen him with Sebadoh and he was pretty restrained, I dunno if he's clean or not now, but he plays like a wild man and sounded amazing. When I could hear him over J.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Remulak posted:

I can't describe how seeing Lou live with Dino was such an inspiration. I've seen him with Sebadoh and he was pretty restrained, I dunno if he's clean or not now, but he plays like a wild man and sounded amazing. When I could hear him over J.

I still blows my mind that the reunion happened at all, let alone that it's been so successful. When I got into Dinosaur (I knew from the moment I heard "Little Fury Things" that You're Living All Over Me would be my favorite album ever), I already knew the band history thanks to my teenage bible, the Spin Alternative Record Guide, and the Feud was simply a statement of fact - sort of an alternative Waters v. Gilmour or Metallica v. Mustaine. When Our Band Could Be Your Life came out a few years later and went into detail, it just drove the point home. Plus, Dinosaur had basically ended by that point - Mascis was vanishing into obscurity with The Fog and Barlow seemed to be enjoying his role as the Ghost of Indie Past in the era of Butt Rock and Bush. The first time I saw him was with Folk Implosion opening for the Melvins... the crowd actually booed him at one point!

I was a little cynical when the reunion first happened. I had really enjoyed Barlow's solo album Emoh, and didn't like the idea of him going backwards - it felt like another punk rock reunion cash grab, since he had just had a kid. That ended when I got to see them live, and it blew me away how heartfelt and real it was. Then Beyond came out and it was once again the exact album my life needed at the time. All the great subsequent releases have proved that this is what they want to be doing, that it's not just a nostalgia trip.

As for drugs, I remember Barlow saying at a solo acoustic show just before the reunion that he had stopped doing them because he got tired of losing his glasses. :3:

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I was always more of a loewenstein guy. When Jake was doing Circle of Buzzards with Bob D'amico, that was pretty awesome. I don't know if any good recordings are online.

He has a new solo record coming out next month, I think, and the single, 'machinery' is already out.

I think Lou moved back to wmass from LA. Thurston left, Lou moved back, Frank Black moved there. Mascis still lives in Amherst, I think.

My favorite game to play when I lived there was 'is that an elderly woman with long flowing silver hair or j mascis' at a distance.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

Remulak posted:

Oh dude, just saw DJ in Orlando a few weeks back. Now I get why Mascis is so chill. Lou has the energy for the entire band.

Some people up front were complaining that they couldn't hear the singing to which Lou replied "If you want to hear the singing, go to the back where the PA can do its thing. Or you can chill up here with us and these amps and shut the hell up." he came back a few songs later and simply said "sorry I said shut the hell up" and started playing.

Awesome show btw. They played literally every song I went in there hoping to hear. Encore was Just like heaven then they brought the opener up for an iggy cover.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having some issues that just started with my super champ. The volume drops after a certain amount of time holding a notes. Its almost like I can play through it so long as I am constantly playing.

It sounds a lot like a noise limiter dropping off the sound. I double checked the fuse software and nothing like that is enabled (and I haven't messed with the software recently before the issue started either.)
What is weird is that if I strum extra hard, the notes hold longer before they drop out. If I strum softly, they drop out almost right away. it really does feel like a limiter/noise reduction.

The issue happens on both channels and I have ruled out a faulty cable and guitar. Any ideas?

E: Managed to record the issue. Same volume drop out through the direct out. (Sorry for clipping). https://clyp.it/bprxyxgq - hopefully just bad tubes, but they look fine. No smokey or haziness.

philkop fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 10, 2017

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

That doesn't seem like a tube issue.

Can you do a factory reset? Hold the TAP button until it lights up and then goes off.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

jwh posted:

Can you do a factory reset? Hold the TAP button until it lights up and then goes off.

Interesting. I'll try that

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
So far, I have been recording a lot of guitar riffs and chord progressions for making some dance tracks using the following setup:

-Fender Blues Deville Amplifier
-Ibanez Tubescreamer
-Fender Strat

I am micing my amp and running it through a Scarlett 18i8 interface into an Ableton audio track. The problem I am having is that either I SUCK at micing instruments despite trying many things, or my setup is just not conducive for recording. My main problem seems to be that the Blues Deville is just too loving loud to properly record off of. I feel like I am working way too hard to get the tone I want without clipping.

Is there a relatively affordable / versatile amp that you guys would recommend for doing these types of recordings? Probably looking at spending less than $400. Also, at the risk of getting reamed here for being that computer guy, would anyone recommend using software amplifiers (prefereably in VST form)?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

What kind of mic are you using? I've been around some loud amps and I've never met one that a close-miced sm57 can't handle. Double check to make sure you're not adding any necessary gain to the microphone input. If you're using a condenser, and it's clipping, make sure there aren't any any boosts in Ableton, the Scarlet MixControl, and turn the dials on the interface itself all the way down before you get a new amplifier. If you're on a dynamic mic, make sure that you're not feeding it phantom power, and if you're on a condenser, maybe even try turning it off to see what happens?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

What if you try master at 10, gain up enough so it can breathe but not hiss too much (2+), tube screamer off, guitar volume low enough that your mic won't clip? I don't know that particular amp, but if you're going for a clean sound that's where I'd start, based on other Fenders with built-in preamp distortion.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I am using the Sterling Audio ST31 condenser microphone. I think I might have the gain turned up on the interface a bit because I was having trouble getting it to record the sound at a reasonable volume without turning it up, regardless of how loud the amp was. And it seems like I always hear a good amount of feedback when I finally get the right volume on the recording.

If I turn the Master up to 10 on the Blues Deville, it could probably cause structural damage to the house. It's so drat sensitive that just thinking about having that on 10, and accidentally hitting the volume knob on the guitar makes my ears frightened. The way it is now, I really can't put the master volume on the amp above 1.5-2 or it is devastatingly loud for my small room.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

If you've gotta crank the gain a lot for your condenser mic to get a signal at any volume, and then get feedback, it sounds like you're not using the phantom power. There's a button on the interface probably labeled +24v (could also be 12 or 48 volts) Make sure that's on before increasing the gain a whole ton.

e: for that matter, make sure that the mic is pointed the right way, I've placed a cardioid mic backwards before and ended up really embarrassed

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 12, 2017

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Octatonic posted:

If you've gotta crank the gain a lot for your condenser mic to get a signal at any volume, and then get feedback, it sounds like you're not using the phantom power. There's a button on the interface probably labeled +24v (could also be 12 or 48 volts) Make sure that's on before increasing the gain a whole ton.

e: for that matter, make sure that the mic is pointed the right way, I've placed a cardioid mic backwards before and ended up really embarrassed

Oh poo poo, that phantom power must be it then. Thank you so much! As for making sure the mic is pointed the right way....don't worry, I made that mistake already and it took me a week to realize what I was doing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

jwh posted:

Did not fix it. Sucks, I was just started to get into this amp.

E: I can actually avoid it if I play low enough. Its almost as if too much volume going into the amp triggers some kind of hard gate or limiter.

philkop fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 13, 2017