Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

So, with all the common threads linking your LPs, would you say that they're... converging?

something something Altman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alan be praised.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Altman Junior Junior be praised.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Mr. Highway posted:

Barry Wheeler has to be a genius to promote Alan.

The greatest mind of our generation is stuck selling lovely books. Maybe he knows something we don't?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So here's the thing about the manuscript pages for this episode. Here is where I would usually post them... but I'm going to wait a little while into episode 4 instead. Alan Wake has a problem with spoiling its own future events, as we have talked about in the LP already. Usually it's all in good fun, but once or twice the manuscript pages spoil something REALLY important. And that's what the ones for episode 3 have done. So instead I'm going to post them after that event happens in episode 4, because it'll be much more fun if you don't know it's coming.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Oh, those pages. There are quite a lot of those types of pages in the game, for some reason.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They don't seem to have found a good compromise between ones that spoil just enough and ones that spoil too much. You'd think they would reserve the latter for the Nightmare-only manuscript pages, since you can't play on Nightmare difficulty on your first playthrough anyway. But instead they are totally nabbable by your frail writer hands on your first go around.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
The idea of a self-spoiling game is pretty interesting. Are there any documents or talks by the writers on their artistic choices?

Thanks Jacobs and Skippy, you're giving this game the LP it deserves. It's really great to see what happens when the game's writing and design are joined together.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey, don't mention it. I'm glad people are enjoying the LP, it's definitely been polished to a mirror sheen, that's for sure.

And I think the idea behind it is that you don't get any context. You see the pages and they spoil future events, so while you anticipate their coming, you don't know anything about when or why. But some of the ones in episode 3 specifically spoil episode 4's events in ways that don't need context. Which is a shame. I'm not sure if the writers have ever spoken about it, I'd be interested to know that too.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
My hypothesis would be they want to the player to be conscious of the fact they are the player, and not really part of the universe. I think the most obvious nod to this fact is Night Springs, but in general this game seems to revel in reminding you it's a game. It wants you to critically consume it and not lose yourself in it. I agree they should have gone whole hog and had Alan be consciously aware of the fact he's in a game. Really embrace the Hideo Kojima inside themselves.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I agree the pages in episode 3 aren't well chosen. I can't blame them too harshly for that, though. Game design is a long, hectic process and I'm sure the story went though several iterations before the final product. There was probably a point in development where getting those pages at this point made more sense. Given how delicate the balance is when you're explicitly telling the player events that'll happen in the future, I can understand the occasional hiccup.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will spoil a small thing that backs up what Gothsheep says a bit: In the next episode, there's a moment where we get a whole bunch of pages at once. Some of the episode 3 pages (one in particular) would make a lot more sense to be found there, instead of where they are found in the final game. However, if they were found in the place I'm speaking of, it'd mean the game would pull the same neat trick with the manuscript pages twice in a row, and I'd bet a pretty penny they wanted to avoid that kind of repetition. So I think there probably is credence to that theory.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

My hypothesis would be they want to the player to be conscious of the fact they are the player, and not really part of the universe. I think the most obvious nod to this fact is Night Springs, but in general this game seems to revel in reminding you it's a game. It wants you to critically consume it and not lose yourself in it. I agree they should have gone whole hog and had Alan be consciously aware of the fact he's in a game. Really embrace the Hideo Kojima inside themselves.

Oh, for sure. This game revels in being like "btw look at this videogame-rear end videogame, my dudes" and I think they pull it off with style. There's never really a Max Payne Looks At A Note That Tells Him He's In A Computer Game moment, but they sure do get close enough.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, in anticipation for Twin Peaks returning in May I have rewatched the series while mulling over what to do about the manuscripts. I suggest you do the same. As it turns out, Twin Peaks continues to be goddamn fantastic.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Even season 2, Zach?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Slightly less so, but still one of the best TV shows I've ever seen. Although... thinking about it... what if....

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

CJacobs posted:

Slightly less so, but still one of the best TV shows I've ever seen. Although... thinking about it... what if....

Honestly, I'd go farther and say it changed what it means to make TV. It raised the bar in a way that wasn't immediately obvious, but now every big name TV show feels a bit like a distant Twin Peaks homage.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CJacobs posted:

Does this include Fire Walk With Me and the Missing Pieces? :getin:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Probably! I think it's a wonderful idea, personally, and it'd liven this thread up with some interesting chat provided enough people were into it.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Probably! I think it's a wonderful idea, personally, and it'd liven this thread up with some interesting chat provided enough people were into it.

Sounds fun. I'm down.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You know what? I've never actually watched Twin Peaks, and a watchalong sounds like the perfect occasion to do so.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
I can rant about the symbolism and talk about David Lynch's filming methods!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I can talk about how I actually don't really like David Lynch that much! :ssh:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Honestly, I'd go farther and say it changed what it means to make TV. It raised the bar in a way that wasn't immediately obvious, but now every big name TV show feels a bit like a distant Twin Peaks homage.

How so? Having only ever known a post Twin Peaks World I have no frame of reference.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

White Coke posted:

How so? Having only ever known a post Twin Peaks World I have no frame of reference.

I'm not sure on the timeline for this, but most TV shows prior to twin peaks were heavily weighted in favor of procedurals and bad guy of the week style. Twin peaks didn't really have that same feel to it, it felt more like a movie in the way that it had an overarching plot that few shows prior to it really pulled off well.

Or I could be completely wrong and talking out of my rear end.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've never seen Twin Peaks, but I feel like it's one of those things I probably should. I think I'll join in!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, let's do a test run then why don't we!

NORTHWEST PASSAGE
(or just 'the pilot' if you prefer)

Twin Peaks is a strange creature. It opens very slowly, appropriately so, with a near two-hour special premiere. Clear your schedules, agents, you've got a lot of work to do. In this episode you will meet the cast in its near entirety and learn everything you need to know to become immersed in the beautiful little burg of Twin Peaks. It would be cliche to follow that up with, "but everything is not what it seems in this seemingly perfect place. Stuck out of time and drenched in Americana, this town from nowhere that's stuck in nowhere.

This town where everyone knows everyone else's name, where you're friendly with the local law enforcement. A magical place that you probably thought didn't exist anymore in this changing world, one where the hustle and bustle you know isn't even a thought in the back of the busiest bumblebee's mind. There are dark things, and strange, too. Hidden just below the surface of the water streaming down its scenic and picturesque waterfall. Twin Peaks is a wonderful place, but something's wrong there. And you want to find out what it is."

It would be cliche to say that. But I think that's the idea- David Lynch and Mark Frost are not just a bunch of chuckleheads filming a daytime soap opera. At the time the cliche was fresh: Murder spoiling a beautiful utopia. In 1990, it was something television audiences never knew they wanted so badly. And thanks to these two brilliant minds at work, they got it and more. And now you will too! Opportunity to witness greatness strikes, my friends, let's take it while we have the chance.

SYNOPSIS

Here's where the idea of the 'watchalong' comes in. You seek out the first episode of Twin Peaks whenever you feel comfortable (preferably on a big TV, in the dark, maybe late evening) and watch it on your own time. What follows this paragraph is a synopsis of the episode along with some of my own thoughts about it. The idea is for you to follow along as you watch, but you don't have to do that. Below this header I'll be giving my opinion of the episode in general and maybe I'll propose some stuff to talk about. I'll see you on the other side.

---

Alright, then. Twin Peaks opens with a principal of television pilots: The introduction to the main plot that will serve as the series' foundation. I bet you didn't expect to see Laura Palmer so quickly. Or, maybe you did, in which case you're pretty well prepared for Twin Peaks' general presentation. Usually tv shows wait until at least past the first five minutes to dump a body on your lap. Twin Peaks is not like that.

I think it's interesting that we're introduced to the townies first. Pete is portrayed by Jack Nance, a recurring member of Lynch's cast of merry characters. If you're a fan of Lynch's work, you'll recognize a number of the town's inhabitants. But ol' Pete is the first and I think that's significant. Pete represents the "regular guy", as opposed to Andy who immediately breaks down in tears at the sight of Laura despite being a police officer. Then again, who wouldn't.

The initial reaction to Laura's death is a fantastic emotional piece. Mother Sarah and father Leland Palmer display very human and deep sadness at Laura's passing and I gotta say, their acting is top quality. You can really feel how pained they are at their daughter's death, and as the camera's candid view rotates between everyone we've met so far, it's they that probably have the most effect on your heartstrings.

But immediately, Lynch and Frost pull a fast one on you. Something to keep in mind about Twin Peaks is that it's not just about Laura Palmer. She may very well be the show's true main character. But the introduction of the Double-R Diner and Norma Jennings is a tiny poke at you, to let you know that the town's inhabitants are eventually going to grab your focus away from her.

But for now, Laura remains in the spotlight. We get another emotional scene as Laura's death is announced at her school. More tears from her friends, or apathy in the case of one student. The emotions border on overbearing at this point. Get used to that music you're hearing, the swelling piano one. It's Laura's theme tune, and you're going to hear it a lot. I love the Twin Peaks soundtrack, but I think there probably should have been one or two more tracks to play during emotional moments.

Laura's boyfriend, Bobby, is a jerk. Listen to his own theme tune and try to commit it to memory- I'm sure you probably will soon realize that you don't have to, because he is the living embodiment of the piece. Bobby is, of course, the prime suspect in Laura's killing. After pleading his case despite not having an alibi, he's taken down to the station for further questioning. Not much to say about this one other than it's interesting how quickly Bobby jumps to "I didn't kill her". His defense about his love for her is admirable, but to the police it may also be telling.

As the police investigate Laura's home, we meet some more of the townsfolk. Katherine Martel and Jocelyn Packard are co-owners of the local sawmill, and boy are they not fans of each other. I was going to wait another couple of episodes to tell you this, but I'm not a fan of them either and I hope you will soon see why. Twin Peaks' characters are fantastic. They are multi-dimensional, faceted, and most of them are hovering just slightly off the ground. Kathy and Josie are not any of those things. They suck. And there is some debate about whether or not they are well-written characters, but we have droves of episodes to get to that.

Instead let's focus on their actions. It tells you pretty much everything you need to know about them: Josie shuts down the sawmill in remembrance of Laura, because she overrules Kathy on their shared seat on the wood-grain throne. Kathy is upset about this because it's costing her thousands of dollars' worth of finely-chopped lumber. You decide who is more of a jerk in this situation.

But then, a scene interrupts this charade. You've gotten your taste for the small-town drama of Twin Peaks but now it's time for a new chess piece to come into play. Another girl emerges from the woods, beaten, battered, and practically comatose. But alive. I think this scene's place in the episode is interesting, and important. It wasn't just thrown in wherever to break up the small town politics, it's raw pacing at its finest. Keep in mind that for you it probably feels like quite some time has passed, but everything you've seen so far took place in practically real time. It's not even a few hours after Laura's murder was discovered and already there's a second victim.

FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper. I like him already, and you do too. Kyle Maclachlan, another Lynch standby, brings the character to life fantastically. He's weird, he's interesting, and he's enthusiastic. Cooper, for all his strangeness, represents us too. We have nothing to do with the town of Twin Peaks, we don't know most of the folks there. 50,000 people and we've met maybe 10 or so. We can look at Laura Palmer's murder from the outside, completely fresh and untouched by the bias of the townsfolk. Cooper is a stranger in a strange land, and he's here to hold our hand through it all.

Do you wonder who Diane is?

Cooper meets Harry S. Truman (yes, that's right) and the two get to work. Harry is a good guy but he demonstrates right away that he is perhaps a bit of a pushover. Not necessarily a bad thing given that Cooper wanted to take over anyway. I like Harry, a lot. He, again like Pete, is an excellent everyman. This time as a foil to Cooper's oddball nature. He seems almost hesitant to trust Cooper despite handing over control... until he demonstrates that he is a professional at work.

Deadly Premonition is a game by SWERY 65, noted madman who makes whatever the hell he wants. One of the more iconic scenes from the game involves FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan discovering mysterious red seeds hidden on the corpse of murder victim Anna Graham (yes, that's right). And as Cooper pulls the letter "R" from underneath Laura's fingernail in an uncomfortably long shot that reportedly made the ratings board squirm, I can't help but think of it. Deadly Premonition is not a very good video game, but it understood or perhaps almost understood what made Twin Peaks explode onto the scene upon its debut. That little letter "R" is the first example- there's a larger mystery to Twin Peaks beyond what we could see until this moment. I think it's a great introduction to the idea of such larger mysteries.

Meanwhile, schoolmate Donna receives a note from handsome man and gas station owner Ed calling for a meeting a the Roadhouse motel bar at 9:30. This is the only scene in the pilot that I think is strangely out of place. Earlier we saw the note handed over from forehead extraordinaire James to Ed, without knowing what it read. I think it was a bit of a misstep to have what it says be revealed by Donna instead of just showing us, the viewer, when James hands it over initially. We could have inferred that Donna got the note by her presence at the Roadhouse, but perhaps this scene is just here to remind the viewer that it happened. I'm not sure. More Ed will be continually appreciated, regardless.

The video of Laura and Donna laughing and dancing has become somewhat iconic among fans of the series. Sheryl Lee was initially only going to play Laura's dead body- apparently she was never meant to be seen alive on screen. But when Lynch and Frost shot the video that you are now watching, they decided they had to give her a larger role. Seeing Laura smile is almost eerie in a way. You and I and the characters all know of her grisly fate, and to see her laughing is frightening in a very strange, deep place. David Lynch is in my opinion a master of "things that are not that scary or weird, becoming scary or weird". The photo of Laura as homecoming queen is completely innocuous in reality- it's just a picture of her. But to us, knowing of her brutal demise, it's more than that. It's what her smile represents: the loss of innocence and the loss of life equally.

Bobby didn't kill Laura Palmer, Cooper says. His angry and a bit violent reaction to the accusation seemed genuine according to Harry, but Coop has a different idea. This scene is very important because it tells you everything you need to know about Coop's detective skills in five seconds of video. Everyone else in the scene was focusing on what we were just focusing on, Laura's smiling face and Bobby's impassioned pleas at the revelation that she was cheating on him. Cooper was watching for details. And in the reflection of her eyeballs, he sees James' motorcycle. Like I said, he's a professional. He'd be intimidating if he weren't so friendly.

The scene with Audrey Horne, daughter of Ben Horne- bigwig property owner in Twin Peaks -is... annoying. Intentionally so, I'm sure. Audrey is a little poo poo, as we learn when she interrupts her father's sale of property meeting with her strange whinging about Laura. Laura, who we already know was not that big a concern of hers. Audrey wants attention because she is a pretty spoiled child, and if you rolled your eyes like I did at her introduction, we're in proper sync now. If you hadn't gathered yet that Twin Peaks is full of weirdos, I don't know what to tell you.

A train car, recently abandoned, holds more secrets. Half of a gold necklace- obviously Laura's -some forensic remains and blood, and a scrap of paper with the words

FIRE
WALK WITH ME

written in different blood, someone else's. They find yet more clues in a deposit box, the key to which was stashed in Laura's diary along with what Coop suspects to be cocaine. Ten thousand dollars and the issue of a skeezy nudie magazine called Flesh World inhabit the box. So far, Twin Peaks has been leaving breadcrumbs about Laura Palmer's life beneath the surface. Everyone in town loved her, thought she was perfect. A goddess in homecoming queen's clothes.

Here in the deposit box we've discovered the whole crust. But the bread is missing.

In the copy of Flesh World is a picture of a flatbed truck that seems familiar to the boys in blue. Mentioned by Ronette Pulaski, the second victim, it belongs to local doer of bad Leo Johnson.

We quickly learn that Leo Johnson is a motherfucker. He holds his wife, Shelley, at fist-point for her supposed infidelity regarding differently-branded cigarette butts. He's right, she's cheating on him with Bobby, but given the guy's attitude I don't really blame her for seeking an outside source of affection. Here's the good news about Leo Johnson, though: He is a completely irredeemable piece of human trash. You may have noticed that up until now you haven't really been given someone to dislike in Twin Peaks. Closest I guess would be Bobby, but I bet Coop's exoneration of him softened your image of the guy up a bit. Well, now there's Leo. Feel free to hate his guts.

Due to the recent murder, a curfew is put in place (imagine that). Donna immediately has to break it to go to her clandestine meeting with James, and she is instantly caught when Bobby shows up to her house looking for her. Not in the act however, as she's already gone. I'm not sure what the point of her getting caught so quickly is. She's going where Coop and Harry are currently staking out, and we already know Bobby is looking for her. Her father is a completely trusting individual and, as we find out later, doesn't really mind her sneaking out despite the whole unsolved murder thing. I don't get it.

The Twin Peaks theme tune sounds really weird with lyrics. On its own, it is a somber but relaxing piece that makes you want to take a deep breath. I believe the idea is that you're going to be holding that breath for the entire episode. With lyrics, it loses some of that punch, I think.

Well, Donna getting caught did serve one purpose at least: Bobby and his minor character friend Mike seek her out at the Roadhouse and boy do they find her. A really weird and out of left field confrontation happens, resulting in a bar brawl (good ol' boy Ed is involved because why not), while Donna escapes with her biker boyfriend.

James "the fivehead" Hurley looks over the other half of the necklace. The jig is up. He was the last person to see Laura alive and has no alibi for the night of her disappearance, and he holds the key item that the police are looking for. James is concerned because he was just beginning to learn of Laura's mysterious second life, but Donna comforts him at the same time as suggesting he turn the necklace in. Our pouty-faced friend won't do it, however, and instead they bury it in the dirt. They share a passionate moment, perhaps out of desperation, and head back to town only to be caught by Coop and Harry. James is arrested, and Donna goes home.

Before the episode concludes, Cooper is set up with a room at the Great Northern Hotel (owned by Benjamin Horne), and we find out that Harry is romantically involved with Josie. As per earlier in this synopsis, I'm going to get my true feelings on the matter out of the way now. I really, really dislike Josie. As you will see in the coming episodes, perhaps you will agree with me. People are torn on her, some believe she is a keystone of the series and others see her as a black hole where good television goes to die.

Speaking of going to die, Laura's mother has a frightening dream. A raggedy and dangeorus looking man haunts her, in addition to some other Various David Lynch Imagery that breaks her down into screams of fright and tears of anguish. Someone unearths the heart locket and takes it. The episode ends on that high pitched, glass shattering note.

MY THOUGHTS

My synopsis of this episode is much longer than the rest will be, so you have my apologies for that. I can say from experience that it makes for good bathroom reading, in case you were looking for something that's not the back of a shampoo bottle.

I love Twin Peaks. This show is incredible. It opens incredibly strongly by introducing you to all of the chess pieces, from pawn Audrey to king Cooper. We only get a small taste of the black side of the board, but it's enough to drive hooks into your cheeks and pull you along for more. Just remember that the fish that gets hooked was only looking for a tasty meal, after all!

Usually this is where I'd prompt some discussion, but you can talk about whatever you want for this first episode. There's a lot to digest, and the show's incredibly wide scope is going to narrow relatively quickly. Losing half an hour or so of game time on ensuing episodes will do that.

To end this bigass post, here is a question that is ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE SHOW. I mean it, do not respond to this prompt if you've watched it before. I'm gonna ask this occasionally and I'm really interested to hear your answers, so be prepared for it. What I want to know is:

Who killed Laura Palmer?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 15, 2017

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
In a way didn't we all kill Laura Palmer?

Dang nice writeup man. You're a fine media critic and I'm looking forward to the next.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Just for those of you who have netflix, both seasons of Twin Peaks are available for streaming. As well as Amazon prime's free streaming. If you don't have either of these, I'm sure the internet can hook you up.

As far as discussions go, I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said in the synopsis and thoughts, but just know that if you don't enjoy the first episode that much, do keep at it, the show opens very very slowly but it is probably one of the best TV shows of all time.

And then season 2 happened but we'll get there.

Edit: Also echoing what Skippy said, this is a very good writeup, and I look forward to seeing how you're going to fit the whole of Twin Peaks into two more chapters of Alan Wake. Unless you plan on doing American Nightmare immediately in the same thread.

IBlameRoadSuess fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 15, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

I look forward to seeing how you're going to fit the whole of Twin Peaks into two more chapters of Alan Wake. Unless you plan on doing American Nightmare immediately in the same thread.

I don't! American Nightmare will have its own thread, but we'll continue the discussion there. I have my posting order segmented pretty well, I think. I think? I guess we'll see!

edit: That said, there's 4 more chapters of Alan Wake! Don't forget about the DLC episodes :toot:

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

CJacobs posted:

I don't! American Nightmare will have its own thread, but we'll continue the discussion there. I have my posting order segmented pretty well, I think. I think? I guess we'll see!

edit: That said, there's 4 more chapters of Alan Wake! Don't forget about the DLC episodes :toot:

Oh right the DLC, I forgot about that. Well hopefully you can get this all archived properly once it's all done, maybe have Baldurk put it in both of the archives for this and American Nightmare.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh yeah, this will all have its own spot in the OP. I just have to draw it up first, and boy are my fingers tired after typing that up in one sitting. I don't know how nine-gear crow does it!

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

CJacobs posted:

Oh yeah, this will all have its own spot in the OP. I just have to draw it up first, and boy are my fingers tired after typing that up in one sitting. I don't know how nine-gear crow does it!

He's always hyped up on anime plane games would be my guess. Also he's got a lot of effort stored up from not updating PoP 2008.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

Who killed Laura Palmer?

I don't know. It probably wasn't James, despite his serial killer eyes. We don't know of any motive he might have had. Definitely not Bobby. Guy's a hothead, but murdering your girlfriend in cold blood, wrapping her in plastic, and throwing her in the lake seems a bit much.

I think it's an unknown third party, possibly related to the R that Agent Chin found underneath her fingernail.

And I second the compliment about your media skills. These watchalongs are going to be great!

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I think it's an unknown third party, possibly related to the R that Agent Chin found underneath her fingernail.

Yeah, was Laura's murderer in the pilot?

I not that sure that Leo Johnson did it, but it would be ironic if he was sleeping with Laura, since Leo freaks out at the thought of Shelly cheating on him, and killed her for some reason. Given how angry he is it might not have been anything serious, just a bad day. And he is a truck driver which means he's probably a serial killer, human trafficker, or drug dealer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is a bit of an unfair question, I'll admit. And god dammit, Kyle Maclachlan's chin.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

CJacobs posted:

It is a bit of an unfair question, I'll admit. And god dammit, Kyle Maclachlan's chin.

Kyle Machlanlan actually lives below the Antarctic ice sheets, his chin is an evolutionary adaptation to puncture it to produce breathing holes.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
My girlfriend, who has only seen the first episode when I had her watch this with me says that she thinks that Audrey Horne killed Laura Palmer.

Having seen the whole show myself I am abstaining from speculation.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

My girlfriend, who has only seen the first episode when I had her watch this with me says that she thinks that Audrey Horne killed Laura Palmer.

Having seen the whole show myself I am abstaining from speculation.

Well isn't that just dreamy.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The Twin Peaks Pilot always reminds me how similar its setup is to In the Heat of the Night. Of course, there is the general dynamic between the hotshot detective and the sheriff as his sidekick, but there are also some really similar moments

like an autopsy involving extreme closeups of hands:

and one of the key witnesses walking/running over a bridge:

Then again, Cooper sure as hell doesn't get thrown in jail the minute he arrives in town, so maybe they're not actually that similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've never seen it! Reading about it, it sounds interesting.

So, here's my basic schedule because I'm starting to work on so many things that I probably should establish one: Alan Wake will update on Sundays (hopefully). There will be a Twin Peaks post every Tuesday and Friday. Saturday will be my live stream day, and the rest will be days of "work on whatever".

I streamed Deadly Premonition and that game is fuckin terrible but it also rules! I'll post it as soon as it's done processing.

• Locked thread