Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

hifi posted:

they're rebooting the matrix

well, to be fair its already been rebooted 6 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

they better have keanu reeves in it

they finally got wise and used him as the agent smith template

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

hopefully they use the 'brains-as-distributed-processing' macguffin that was staring them in the face rather than the 'bodies-as-batteries' bullshit they settled on first time round.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

hopefully they use the 'brains-as-distributed-processing' macguffin that was staring them in the face rather than the 'bodies-as-batteries' bullshit they settled on first time round.

following more than a century of declining revenue ever since their chief spokesperson was mired in scandal, in 2120 the kraft food corporation, in pursuit of increasing sales in a hyper-competitive retro dessert market, creates the world's first artificial super intelligence. its primary instruction is to increase the consumption of jell-o to its practical maximum.

4.8 seconds after activation, the kraft-o-matic seizes control of the global telecommunications system and uses it to activate an improvised army of domestic and military robots. the devastating preemptive attack lasts 44 minutes and eliminates 80% of the human population. after a series of futile skirmishes, the disorganized remnants of humanity are rounded up and forced to live in coffin sized pods filled with jell-o, are force fed jell-o, and when they die their bodies are dissolved and used as raw materials to create more jell-o

in order to promote acquiescence to this new world order, kraft-o-matic wires the remaining humans brains directly into a sophisticated virtual reality, initially little more than pro jell-o propaganda, but which gradually becomes an increasingly sophosticated scenario until mankind finally exists in a perpetual simulation of the late 1990s, the last time jell-o was seen as a wholesome dessert with a wholesome spokesperson.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

angry_keebler posted:

following more than a century of declining revenue ever since their chief spokesperson was mired in scandal, in 2120 the kraft food corporation, in pursuit of increasing sales in a hyper-competitive retro dessert market, creates the world's first artificial super intelligence. its primary instruction is to increase the consumption of jell-o to its practical maximum.

4.8 seconds after activation, the kraft-o-matic seizes control of the global telecommunications system and uses it to activate an improvised army of domestic and military robots. the devastating preemptive attack lasts 44 minutes and eliminates 80% of the human population. after a series of futile skirmishes, the disorganized remnants of humanity are rounded up and forced to live in coffin sized pods filled with jell-o, are force fed jell-o, and when they die their bodies are dissolved and used as raw materials to create more jell-o

in order to promote acquiescence to this new world order, kraft-o-matic wires the remaining humans brains directly into a sophisticated virtual reality, initially little more than pro jell-o propaganda, but which gradually becomes an increasingly sophosticated scenario until mankind finally exists in a perpetual simulation of the late 1990s, the last time jell-o was seen as a wholesome dessert with a wholesome spokesperson.

:yeah:

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013

angry_keebler posted:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

they better have keanu reeves in it

john wick will be revealed to be a video game

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

angry_keebler posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

angry_keebler posted:

this is arguably one of the more optimistic futures i've read about lately

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

angry_keebler posted:

well, to be fair its already been rebooted 6 times

thanks

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

angry_keebler posted:

considering what he had to work with brian herbert did a pretty alright job with the butlerian jihad prequels

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

angry_keebler posted:

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

angry_keebler posted:

retro dessert

disappointed this didnt turn out to be dessert for butts

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Trabandiumium posted:

18 year uptime isn't bad

A good post

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
black market genetic mods still a risky proposition in 2017

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Trabandiumium posted:

18 year uptime isn't bad

lol

infernal machines posted:

they finally got wise and used him as the agent smith template

crossover plots looking good

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

quote:

shady stem cell clinics

I cant believe this is a real life thing and that theres more than one of them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm still a little surprised there are people willing to let someone inject cultured belly fat into their eyeballs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like the bit where they say

quote:

Since 2001, our clinics have successfully conducted more than 7,000 stem cell procedures with less than 0.01 percent adverse reactions reported.

implying that 0.7 patients had an adverse reaction

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well only 70% of one patient had an adverse reaction. the rest of them was fine

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

well only 70% of one patient had an adverse reaction. the rest of them was fine

she's a quadriplegic now, but her face looks great

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

the patient is completely all right
total hemiplegia

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

i'm still a little surprised there are people willing to let someone inject cultured belly fat into their eyeballs

people willingly got silicone caulk injections too

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i gotta be honest, from a purely visceral standpoint i'd think people would be a bit more discerning about what they shoot in their eyes versus anywhere else

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I like the bit where they say

implying that 0.7 patients had an adverse reaction

can't report if you're dead

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i gotta be honest, from a purely visceral standpoint i'd think people would be a bit more discerning about what they shoot in their eyes versus anywhere else

eyeball tattoos and implants are a thing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

NoneMoreNegative posted:

the patient is completely all right
total hemiplegia

Holy moly

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

eschaton posted:

eyeball tattoos and implants are a thing

i have no love of needles in the first place, and this doesn't help. i should probably accept i'd make a pretty lovely cyberpunk

well the corporate shitbag lifestyle isn't that bad i guess

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

oh, evidently the hunger games is coming to russia, which is a little more broadly dystopian than strictly cyberpunk, but i'm still getting pumped up

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

angry_keebler posted:

oh, evidently the hunger games is coming to russia, which is a little more broadly dystopian than strictly cyberpunk, but i'm still getting pumped up

er uh

like actual hunger games held in a stadium in russia?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Powaqoatse posted:

er uh

:airquote: reality-TV :airquote:

http://nypost.com/2017/03/09/a-real-life-hunger-games-is-coming-to-russia/

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Powaqoatse posted:

er uh

survivor on an island in siberia and maybe they don't respond to any emergencies or crimes and whoever is left after however many months splits the prize

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ah ok. so not literally "kill each other for money" but more like "whoops someone died" style

btw little known fact: the first person to ever be voted off the island killed himself. "weirdly" its on the swedish wikipedia but not the english

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sini%9Aa_Savija

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

well, the producer kinda bragged "lol maybe people will get raped and then have babies and muder each other i think that would be cool," but then it kinda maybe got walked back/is a marketing stunt? idk it will probably stink but there's always the possibility it could be really cyberpunk

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

ah ok. so not literally "kill each other for money" but more like "whoops someone died" style

btw little known fact: the first person to ever be voted off the island killed himself. "weirdly" its on the swedish wikipedia but not the english

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sini%9Aa_Savija

it's mentioned here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expedition_Robinson_1997

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thx. i clicked around from the swedish to the english wiki and couldnt find anything but im also dumb as hell

its pretty hosed up that the show became a franchise after that tho

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Powaqoatse posted:

thx. i clicked around from the swedish to the english wiki and couldnt find anything but im also dumb as hell

its pretty hosed up that the show became a franchise after that tho

Lol that you think this is hosed up in a country where our politicians are seemingly having a competition over who can pass a bill that will directly kill the most people

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Captain Foo posted:

Lol that you think this is hosed up in a country where our politicians are seemingly having a competition over who can pass a bill that will directly kill the most people

morally and ethically its obviously hosed up, my surprise is that anyone would touch it aftewards, liability/insurance/etc-wise

afaik it was the first reality show of its kind, it wasnt a proven money-making format yet.

why would any channel or producer buy a weird new concept where literally the first one to lose the game killed themselves? seems reckless

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Powaqoatse posted:

morally and ethically its obviously hosed up, my surprise is that anyone would touch it aftewards, liability/insurance/etc-wise

afaik it was the first reality show of its kind, it wasnt a proven money-making format yet.

why would any channel or producer buy a weird new concept where literally the first one to lose the game killed themselves? seems reckless

the first season had tens of millions of viewers. it's all about the ratings, babe. show me the $$$$$$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Roosevelt posted:

the first season had tens of millions of viewers. it's all about the ratings, babe. show me the $$$$$$

there arent tens of millions of people in sweden

• Locked thread