Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Spiteski posted:

Isn't it Two Encounters > Short Rest > Two Encounters > Milestone > Two Encounters > Long Rest?

You get a short rest after every encounter. You get a milestone every other encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

4-6 encounters per extended rest. Milestone every 2 encounters.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

berenzen posted:

4-6 encounters per extended rest. Milestone every 2 encounters.

Right. The important thing with the Milestone is that that what gets you another Action Point.

The other thing I'd throw in is that depending on how well the group plays, you can go a lot farther than this. I've had players go as many as 11 encounters before wanting/needing an Extended Rest.

It's kinda important that your monsters hit hard enough to chunk off a Surge's worth of damage when they hit, and that they last long enough to be able to hit in the first place.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
Also, it's not specifically combat encounters, but encounters in general. A good skill challenge can eat up some resources too if designed well enough.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PMush Perfect posted:

Every two encounters, unless I'm terribly mistaken.
Sorry, you are...

Spiteski posted:

Isn't it Two Encounters > Short Rest > Two Encounters > Milestone > Two Encounters > Long Rest?
And you are, too. :(

Every encounter gets a short rest. 2 makes a milestone, which refreshes your action points and gives you more daily magic item uses.

The closest to an official benchmark for an extended rest is 4 encounters, but it's technically still tied to the clock - 8 hours rest, no more than 1 every 24 hours.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Every encounter gets a short rest. 2 makes a milestone, which refreshes your action points and gives you more daily magic item uses.

Daily item uses aren't a thing anymore.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

Sorry, you are...

And you are, too. :(

The closest to an official benchmark for an extended rest is 4 encounters, but it's technically still tied to the clock - 8 hours rest, no more than 1 every 24 hours.

I was still in 5e mode crossing wires with 4e mode.

That makes much more sense.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

dwarf74 posted:

Sorry, you are...
Am I? I was saying every two encounters gets you a milestone.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

PMush Perfect posted:

Am I? I was saying every two encounters gets you a milestone.

But the question you were answering was "How many encounters per extended rest?" which isn't the same thing as what you actually answered.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

senrath posted:

But the question you were answering was "How many encounters per extended rest?" which isn't the same thing as what you actually answered.
Oh. Whoops. :downs:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Spiteski posted:

That sounds like the DM is lowballing encounters or you have a brutally optimized party if you're regularly doing two encounters without a short rest.

Three to five encounters per long rest on average with a short rest after each is the intended math I believe.

E: didn't notice another page, oops

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
4E had some non-traditional "modules" late in its lifespan where it was a sort of mini-dungeon crawl and you had to ration your encounter powers because you didn't get a short rest after every encounter. It was supposed to be like you were under time pressure to escape the dungeon. I can't remember what they were called though. I keep wanting to call them "challenge"-something but google just turns up skill challenge. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Lair Assaults

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

4E had some non-traditional "modules" late in its lifespan where it was a sort of mini-dungeon crawl and you had to ration your encounter powers because you didn't get a short rest after every encounter. It was supposed to be like you were under time pressure to escape the dungeon. I can't remember what they were called though. I keep wanting to call them "challenge"-something but google just turns up skill challenge. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Lair Assaults. They're a fun way to do things. In general I think I prefer Gamma World 7e's approach; no real adventuring day, just encounter powers & everything refreshes between combats.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Bingo dingo, thank you much.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Generic Octopus posted:

Daily item uses aren't a thing anymore.
That's a matter of some debate. :)

Basically, it depends on if you're using the item rarity rules from Essentials, instead. The rule was never errata'd out, but also never made it to the Rules Compendium.

Item rarity kind of replaced it, sort of, but if you never picked up any Essentials books, there's nothing that would tell you it's gone. :shrug:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
"If you don't read the errata, it's like the errata'd stuff was never changed! :downs:"

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Basically, it depends on if you're using the item rarity rules from Essentials, instead. The rule was never errata'd out, but also never made it to the Rules Compendium.

It's in the RC, page 281.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

zedar posted:

I always thought it was supposed to be four/day, thought I've always had the problem that I cram in so much extra story stuff to do that it's night time after two fights and I have to let them long rest.

No, you don't.

I feel like the extended rest, as written, is basically a legacy of the time when most games were straight dungeon crawls and you'd expect to have multiple fights a day in pretty rapid succession. If you're doing a more story-based campaign where encounters are spaced further apart, this sort of falls apart. In those cases, I think you're perfectly justified in changing your criteria for an extended rest.

Maybe the new criteria is that it's a 24 hour period where you can completely rest and recharge without strenuous effort, not just an 8 hour sleep. Maybe it's a rest in a place where you expect complete safety and you can't get an extended rest if you have to set guards or sleep lightly. Maybe it's just "gently caress you, you get an extended rest when I say you do".

Whatever you decide, it is perfectly okay to put more restrictions on extended resting so that they come less frequently in a campaign with a slower combat pace.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Yeah, I found that to be the case when running a Zeitgeist campaign. That campaign has a real nice blend of story and combat and more often than not, the players would get in 1-2 combat encounters per game day (at least across the first handful of adventure arcs).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dick Burglar posted:

"If you don't read the errata, it's like the errata'd stuff was never changed! :downs:"
Where is the deletion? I'm happy to be wrong, but I distinctly remember this as a sticking point.

Generic Octopus posted:

It's in the RC, page 281.
Yeah, like I said, the RC basically pretends it never existed. Which is fine if you use item rarity.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Where is the deletion? I'm happy to be wrong, but I distinctly remember this as a sticking point.

There was brief confusion regarding how WotC was implementing the changes in various documents, but it's long since been resolved.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/UpdatePH.pdf

e: pages 21 & 23.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 15, 2017

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Generic Octopus posted:

There was brief confusion regarding how WotC was implementing the changes in various documents, but it's long since been resolved.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/UpdatePH.pdf

e: pages 21 & 23.

Sweet, thanks. I'm stuck in the past...

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

dwarf74 posted:

Not quite, an extended rest is usually 6 hours for most races and you can only take one if it's been 12 hours since the end of your previous extended rest. You do need to have had at least 6 hours of sleep in the last 24 hours to benefit from an extended rest though (Mul require only 6 hours of sleep per 72 hours).

Technically it's possible to get an extended rest down to 0 to 2 hours with the right stuff.

You can reduce the duration to 4 hours by being a trance-capable race (eladrin, drow, warforged, thri-kreen) or by using the Bed of Rapid Rest (level 4 wondrous item, but requires some place to put it like a base or ship), then reduce by two hours with Song of Restfulness bardic ritual (which only works once every 24 hours). If you really want to push it, the Ioun Stone of Sustenance (level 21 head slot) halves the amount of time you need for an extended rest, while the Feast of Recuperation (level 11 Fey Boon) takes an hour to do and halves the amount of time participants need for an extended rest.

There's no real point to this, but you could build an eladrin bard who grabs a magic rock and recovers all abilities by playing JRPG inn music for ten minutes and that's what's important.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LightWarden posted:

There's no real point to this, but you could build an eladrin bard who grabs a magic rock and recovers all abilities by playing JRPG inn music for ten minutes and that's what's important.
Copy this to the Murphy's rules thread, it'a beautiful.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Dumb question, but how can I gain the ability to use Daggers as my implement as a Warlock?
Really want to start using an Incising Dagger for my Teleport-themed warlock.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Sorcerer multiclass feat will give daggers as implements.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Spiteski posted:

Dumb question, but how can I gain the ability to use Daggers as my implement as a Warlock?

Multiclass Swordmage. You gain light blades and heavy blades as implements.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
You can hold the incisive dagger in the off-hand and benefit from the property without implement proficiency. You can still use a rod or whatever in the main hand.

However I supposed that would get expensive if you were paying for the +s on an implement, so yeah, multiclass to something with light blades as implements. On the other hand if it's not a significant expense there's no need to waste a feat.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

TheDemon posted:

You can hold the incisive dagger in the off-hand and benefit from the property without implement proficiency. You can still use a rod or whatever in the main hand.

However I supposed that would get expensive if you were paying for the +s on an implement, so yeah, multiclass to something with light blades as implements. On the other hand if it's not a significant expense there's no need to waste a feat.

Gold has been a bit tighter, so I'm kinda needing to keep only one +s weapon up to scratch. My offhand will just be my rod of of corruption.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

TheDemon posted:

You can hold the incisive dagger in the off-hand and benefit from the property without implement proficiency.

You need to be proficient with an implement to benefit from its properties or use its powers.

Also, the feat Arcane Implement Proficiency exists if you don't want to use your multiclass.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Generic Octopus posted:

You need to be proficient with an implement to benefit from its properties or use its powers.

Also, the feat Arcane Implement Proficiency exists if you don't want to use your multiclass.

Yeah but it's a dagger. It's not just an implement, he can hold it as a weapon, and gain its property.

Moot though, because he wants to use it as an implement.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Spiteski posted:

Soulmage multiclass with Heart of the Blade also gets you the Soulbond feature.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Splicer posted:

Soulmage multiclass with Heart of the Blade also gets you the Soulbond feature.

Soulmage?
I assume you're talking about swordmage and swordbond? I can't find anything else called soulmage or soulbond (but I could be bad at 4e).

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
They almost certainly meant swordmage.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Spiteski posted:

Soulmage?
I assume you're talking about swordmage and swordbond? I can't find anything else called soulmage or soulbond (but I could be bad at 4e).
Yeah I don't know what happened there :psyduck:

ProfessorCirno posted:

They almost certainly meant swordmage.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I decided to go with Swordmage, the soulbond is pretty cool, and offers some better moments than 3 extra damage 1/enc.

Thanks for the input goons

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

What are some tricks for increasing your reach? I'm playing around with 4e and trying to turn up the dial up to 11 on a Hexblade build one of my Dark Sun players used back in the day
I've got it up to Reach 4

Gloom Pact Hexblade, Pact Weapon has Reach
Multiclass Assassin for Ki Focus proficiency
Pick up Transcendant Ki Focus for another +1 Reach
Revenant Goliath with Stoneblessed Paragon Path for another +1 to reach and 1/Enc Threatening Reach for a turn
As far as I can recall nothing prevents you from enchanting a Pact Weapon, so throw +6 Staggering Weapon on it to turn Flesh Rend into an At-Will MBA with Slide 7 in order to make the MBA from Threatening Reach extra controllery

Oh and just for the hell of it take the Assassin/Warlock feat "Cursed Shadow" in order to get the Warlock's "Shadow Walk" feature because why not.

Any temporary or permanent boosts are worthy of consideration.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 23, 2017

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I've got my first session on Saturday and I'm trying to build an encounter or two, it's 4 level 1 players, so 400XP total to distribute in monsters. The idea is basically a few goons in a basement, preparing it for some ritual.

I was thinking of putting in, say, 3 of one type of enemy (reskinned probably), with one level 2 guy, probably a leader, or something, total of 400-425XP I believe. Is that a decent idea, or should I just do 4 different enemies and just deal with the larger amount of bookkeeping?

Haven't looked into minions at all, but I'd be looking at a maximum of 16 minions, right? Don't want to bog things down too much, but four minions plus three non-minions could be a good mix? Or does that not play well together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Serperoth posted:

four minions plus three non-minions could be a good mix? Or does that not play well together?
Nope, that's a great mix. You could do a leader or controller, 2 of the same kind of striker or brute, and then 4 minions of the same kind.

There really isn't a huge difference between level 1 and 2, so just look for something interesting between 1-3 and go with it.