Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

There is a heritable component to addiction - exactly how much of it is nature versus nurture is not entirely known. Genetics play some role, though. If you look at family history it is often a pretty clear generational line - I can easily trace alcohol back up my family tree on my dad's side.
I don't think that's necessarily genetics though. I remember at a very young age walking in on my uncles or my mother doing drugs or even shooting up and I''m sure that played a large role in why I found it very easy to start using drugs in that particular manner. There is a family history of drug use present in my family, obviously, but that could well be from the normalization that occurs from observing drug use from a very young age being passed down through generations just as easily as a genetic influence. You could apply this same line of thinking easily to drinking. If your father was an alcoholic the habitual consumption to excess of alcohol was something you certainly witnessed from a very young age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

TheSpamalope posted:

Had a good rear end day noons. Went hiking with my fiance all day, stopped for chili and cornbread and beer on the way home, had a beer and finished a work project in about a quarter of the time expected and now I'm drinking some beers and playing Betrayal at Krondor. All right have a good one bud take'er easy

...and if she's easy take her twice.

*slaps your rear end* see ya around pal

that sounds like a good rear end day, I made chili and my fiancee made cornbread last week and it was a good dinner. I didnt really do poo poo at work except shitpost and now im watching shameless and enjoying a dinner of slowcooked beef tip and gravy over mashed potatoes (:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jim Barris posted:

I don't think that's necessarily genetics though. I remember at a very young age walking in on my uncles or my mother doing drugs or even shooting up and I''m sure that played a large role in why I found it very easy to start using drugs in that particular manner. There is a family history of drug use present in my family, obviously, but that could well be from the normalization that occurs from observing drug use from a very young age being passed down through generations just as easily as a genetic influence. You could apply this same line of thinking easily to drinking. If your father was an alcoholic the habitual consumption to excess of alcohol was something you certainly witnessed from a very young age.

Make me get all pedantic and poo poo up in here...

"Twin, adoption, and family studies conclusively demonstrated that genetic factors account for 50 to 60 percent of the variance in risk for developing alcoholism."

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh40/64-75.pdf

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Make me get all pedantic and poo poo up in here...

"Twin, adoption, and family studies conclusively demonstrated that genetic factors account for 50 to 60 percent of the variance in risk for developing alcoholism."

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh40/64-75.pdf
That would seem to indicate there is a genetic component to alcoholism. I suppose I stand corrected though I wonder if the same holds true for other drugs. I imagine it would but I don't really have anything to back that up.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
people who are sober are idiots

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
sobriety is an illusion

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

Smash it Smash hit posted:

sobriety is an illusion

True. The addiction never goes away, there is just a fight against inevitable relapse. Some hold out longer than others but none of them should be considered happy or normal

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
It really is better to just use. If youre deep in addiction your life is already over in any meaningful sense. Better to use and see what lies beneath instead of living as a tortured ghost in the world.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
true happiness can only be found in oblivion - voltaire

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
*(the video game, high as gently caress)

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
It just comes down to PTS or PTG

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i wish there was a mod for skyrim where you are all hosed up on drugs...

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

dad gay. so what posted:

people who are sober are idiots

You're sober.

Checks out.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pennywise the Frown posted:

You're sober.

Checks out.

since when? looks like youre the one whos retarded, retard.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

dad gay. so what posted:

since when? looks like youre the one whos retarded, retard.

Aren't you on like day 85 or something? So you've been sober for 85 days. Don't be one of those people who say "I'm never sober, it's always a struggle and I'm always an addict boohoohoo." Well the latter part is true at least.

If you're not drinking, you're sober. And therefore you are an idiot. :boom:

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Aren't you on like day 85 or something? So you've been sober for 85 days. Don't be one of those people who say "I'm never sober, it's always a struggle and I'm always an addict boohoohoo." Well the latter part is true at least.

If you're not drinking, you're sober. And therefore you are an idiot. :boom:

i do as i please. you are the one who sucks, and sucks hard.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Touche.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
This is not what I thought it was

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
day 561 inside this prison of sobriety. all i want is one altered mental state. please god, gently caress me up.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Just do a handstand, it alters your world view, makes your face red, gives you a headache, could kill you

Sounds like drugs to me!

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
Women who worshipped Bacchus would basically headbang to induce a spiritual ferver. Try that

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Hardawn posted:

Women who worshipped Bacchus would basically headbang to induce a spiritual ferver. Try that

Best part is it's free!

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy

Hardawn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTvu1Yr3Ohk

I'll help everyone get started

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
im not counting amphetamines as part of my sobriety plan so its ok

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
also weed, benzos, and canned air. and booze.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
sometimes when I drink too much I forget about things (:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Use hani sani it's not a drug!!!!

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Use hani sani it's not a drug!!!!

neither is kratom :eng101:

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
also ketamine is technically a treatment for depression, which i mean, cmon...

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
If you drive very fast on the highway with your head out the window you can cut out the can and stick it to Big Air.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I only drink once a week now, just to save money

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This is going to be interesting seeing my mood fly all over the place without the alcohol "stabilizing" me. It will probably take a while for my meds to start working again. Who knows?

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

dad gay. so what posted:

im not counting amphetamines as part of my sobriety plan so its ok

Good boy

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

This is going to be interesting seeing my mood fly all over the place without the alcohol "stabilizing" me. It will probably take a while for my meds to start working again. Who knows?

Just dont forget, its better than being dead!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SpaceClown posted:

Just dont forget, its better than being dead!

Well, that could be a problem with the depression/mania. We'll see! Exciting!

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
this clown believes in you, go get em tiger! :peanut:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Well, that could be a problem with the depression/mania. We'll see! Exciting!

Thought you were on benzos? Those work immediately thought it won't help your depression or mania afaik.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

500 good dogs posted:

Thought you were on benzos? Those work immediately thought it won't help your depression or mania afaik.

Yeah I am. Those are really helping with the anxiety. Not so much with impulse and emotion regulation.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

ham_sanitizer posted:

please god, gently caress me up.

That would be redundant.

dad gay. so what posted:

also ketamine is technically a treatment for depression, which i mean, cmon...

A doctor who operates on himself has a fool for a patient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Yeah I am. Those are really helping with the anxiety. Not so much with impulse and emotion regulation.

Yeah benzos probably make me more impulsive because IDGAF

• Locked thread