Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

NTRabbit posted:

Reminder we're boycotting Coopers now, so find an alternative beer to drink while watching the football

A pale ale from South Australia?

Pirate Life tins, come on doooooowwwwwnnnnnn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

pkid posted:

A pale ale from South Australia?

Pirate Life tins, come on doooooowwwwwnnnnnn.

Pirate Life is grouse but far too expensive for an Australian beer. Get on the Hawkers beers

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Shmoses posted:

Pirate Life is grouse but far too expensive for an Australian beer. Get on the Hawkers beers

Hawkers is no cheaper than Pirate Life where I am and nowhere near the quality. $25 is more than I like paying for a 6pk, but then I remember a time when any more than $15 was considered a ridiculous amount to pay for a 6pk so yknow, the times they are a-changin.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Divorced And Curious posted:

Hawkers is no cheaper than Pirate Life where I am and nowhere near the quality. $25 is more than I like paying for a 6pk, but then I remember a time when any more than $15 was considered a ridiculous amount to pay for a 6pk so yknow, the times they are a-changin.

I'm a snob who drinks Stouts, Sours and Porters, and I will pay $12 for a decent beer.
Worth noting I don't drink much so when I do it's an occasion I'm willing to spend for.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Divorced And Curious posted:

Ah I'm guessing you're outside of Melbourne then?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Oh OK I'll never drink Coopers again

or any other beer

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Shmoses posted:

Ah I'm guessing you're outside of Melbourne then?

Nah Tassie

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Chairchucker posted:

Oh OK I'll never drink Coopers again

or any other beer

:same:

I was boycotting coopers before it was cool

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
coopers used to be cool back when the only thing you could pick from in every pub was carlton draught, heineken or coopers, but since the other australian brewers discovered ales back in 2010 or whenever squires hit it big with golden ale its become a bit of a mainstay of the die hards

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

also i hope we all have some topical south australian energy grid jokes all lined up the first time port adelaide stink it up this year

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
What's the super coach code again please

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
At least I'm close to Beechworth, Bridge Road is pretty nice stuff with the odd weird variant like chestnut beer. I don't drink a huge lot of beer these days though so I can sort of splurge on that when I feel like it.

I think Squires turned up around 2000, not sure when they got bought out by CUB though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Deadly Hume posted:

At least I'm close to Beechworth, Bridge Road is pretty nice stuff with the odd weird variant like chestnut beer. I don't drink a huge lot of beer these days though so I can sort of splurge on that when I feel like it.

I think Squires turned up around 2000, not sure when they got bought out by CUB though.

Lion, not CUB, and they've always been owned by Lion - they were the first new 'craft' beers Lion Nathan, as they were called back then, started selling after they bought and renamed the Hahn brewery

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Furphy on tap at a local joint, good stuff for happy hour.

Also looks like AFLW GF confirmed for Gabba.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

drunkill posted:

Also looks like AFLW GF confirmed for Gabba.

Biggest crowd that place will get all year.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

hiddenmovement posted:

What's the super coach code again please

I don't think there is a league set up yet. I've set a goon one up the past couple of years and happy to do so again but won't get a chance to until tomorrow. Not sure who normally does the Ultimate Footy, but is that a go again this year with a draft?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'll set up the Supercoach one now at least, since I'm not doing anything, we only need a 10 team league right?

Supercoach League code is 448530

Link to join the UF draft league: http://ultimate-footy.theage.com.au/588618/invitation

Currently set to a live online draft on Sunday starting at 8pm eastern, with 2 minutes per pick, but I can adjust that if needed

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 14, 2017

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

NTRabbit posted:

I'll set up the Supercoach one now at least, since I'm not doing anything, we only need a 10 team league right?

Supercoach League code is 354519

Link to join the UF draft league: http://ultimate-footy.theage.com.au/588618/invitation

Currently set to a live online draft on Sunday starting at 8pm eastern, with 2 minutes per pick, but I can adjust that if needed

Last few years theres been easily 18 people join.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nutsngum posted:

Last few years theres been easily 18 people join.

I guess I was thinking of the draft league, we only had 10 in that last year.

Couldn't resize, had to close the old one, and make a new one 448530, Hirdonism Bot should join this one instead

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 14, 2017

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Thanks for setting those up! Draft this Sunday works for me

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

This year it's 27 players to pick per team - 18 on the field, 4 emergencies, and 5 bench players - so if we have 10 teams that's 270 selections, I think 2 minutes per pick might make for a really long 540 minute draft. Anyone object to 1 minute per pick?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Just joined Supercoach. Hooray for my team of garbagemen and wastrels!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I don't want to be too harsh but uhhhh...plugger looks...thin

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I actually thought he must have been through chemo when I first saw him

Why did someone feel the need to very poorly photoshop a footy into this picture? :psyduck:

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 15, 2017

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

TG-Chrono posted:

I don't want to be too harsh but uhhhh...plugger looks...thin

he might have had some lifestyle changes leading up to his decision to be involved in footy again

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Why did someone feel the need to very poorly photoshop a footy into this picture? :psyduck:

For cover so that people don't think Plugger actually is a member of the ministry of silly walks

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
He looks like a fit old man

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Plugger is looking more match fit than he did for 90% of his career

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
He's done a reverse Jarman.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
I think Plugger got super into long motorbike rally events (think Dakkar).
It would probably cause a bit of weight loss.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hmm...

:confused:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

id be ok with freo being relegated and bringing in the sharks and tigers instead

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

gently caress yeah, I support all of the top 3!

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/gws...3e9c767b73a4877 posted:

THE GWS Giants have lost a portion of their contentious academy zone while all northern teams will be subject to a radical change to recruiting zoned players through the draft beginning this year.

Under a revamped system which will impact all northern clubs, the ability to take academy recruits in the national draft will be tied to ladder position. Teams that finish in the top four would only be able to take one academy product in the top 20 of the draft.

Team that finish from fifth to eighth will be able to take two academy players in the top 20 while there will be no limit for clubs that finish outside of the top eight.

While the details are still being clarified, Fox Sports understands the Giants will lose part of their southern NSW zone including Albury, which provided the club with three talented youngsters in 2016, as well as multiple Murray region towns.

That means GWS will lose access to potential first round selections Jarrod Brander, an athletic key tall from Wentworth, as well as Albury midfielder Charlie Spargo (the son of former Kangaroo and Brisbane Bear Paul).

Murray towns such as Wentworth, Moama, Albury, Deniliquin and possibly Finley are set to be lost.

The AFL decision culminates a successful lobbying campaign by rival clubs which have been alarmed by the Giants’ amassing of talent including four top 20 selections in last year’s draft — a year in which they narrowly missed the grand final.

The Sydney Swans were believed to be strongly opposed to the top four restriction, which would prevent them from taking more than one highly-rated academy player such as Isaac Heeney or Callum Mills in one draft.

The Giants picked up three players from Albury in the 2016 off-season — Will Setterfield (Pick 5) and Lachie Tiziani (Pick 54) in the national draft while academy product Zach Sproule was added to the club’s rookie list.

The Giants have said the zone and academy set-up has enabled the game to be developed far better in the relevant regions where hardly any players were being drafted from previously.

I guess GWS will have to be content with only winning the next 5 flags instead of 10.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Good, they never should have had the Albury region to begin with. O&M is a strong league and kids were drafted from the area all the time.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
When you get more kids drafted from the Giant's zone than the whole of South Australia, safe to say you hosed up.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Paul Groves was asked at a women’s football breakfast earlier this month what had made him go ‘Wow’ during the inaugural AFLW season.

He didn’t hesitate. “I’ve seen Erin Phillips,” Groves said.

The Adelaide co-captain has lit up AFL Women’s, with her midfield muscle and forward nous launching the Crows to the cusp of a Grand Final berth.

Her hanger over Melbourne’s Mel Hickey last week was just a sample of what the 31-year-old can do.

The Australian Opal and guard with WNBA club Dallas Wings had no expectations about this season and a simple philosophy is working well.

“My dad (Greg) always says if you love something, you have fun, you’ll do it well,” Phillips said.

“I’m just loving every second of it. You can see it on my face when I’m out there.”

Basketball is Phillips’ main game and since making her international debut in 2005 she has won Commonwealth Games Gold, an Olympic silver medal and a World Championship as well as two WNBA titles.

But the pull of AFL was so strong, largely thanks to dad Greg who is a legendary Port Adelaide figure and 84-gamer for Collingwood, the risk she could void her current WNBA contract with Dallas if she was injured was quickly brushed aside.

“I honestly thought if I didn’t play in this season the regret would have been bigger,” she said.

“For me, that was the deciding factor. If I didn’t give this a go I’m always going to regret it.

“My coach was great and my general manager was really good, obviously there were some concerns … basically they were like, ‘We know how much this game means to you’ they know my dad’s history with it, they were like, ‘Just stay healthy’.”

Groves witnessed first-hand the damaging Phillips effect. She had 16 touches as the Crows defeated the Bulldogs by 25 points.

“Just in the warm up, she’s not overly tall (173cm) ... the way she physically presented when I walked past her, I was like, ‘Oh, OK’, then the way she plays and that’s ultimately why Adelaide are going so well, on the back of her,” Groves said.

Phillips’ skill as a point guard on court has transferred to the oval ball with her sure hands and vision often putting her a class above her opposition.

“In basketball you’re playing in such a confined space with nine other people on the floor at the same time, you’ve got to make really quick decisions, you’ve got to read what other people are about to do before they actually do it, it’s really similar (to football) especially in stoppages,” she said.

But teammate, 19-year-old midfield gun Ebony Marinoff, reckons Phillips is just a natural footballer and her pedigree has had much to do with her performance this season.

“As soon as I saw her when she came out to training I knew she was going to be a deadset gun,” Marinoff said.

“Just the way she kicked her first drop punt, the way she moved … Just her skills, to pick that up after 20 years, you know she’s got it in the blood.”

It’s not just on field where she’s made a mark. Phillips has become a mentor to Marinoff off the field too.

“I’ve got two young children to look after and Ebony’s my third child,” Phillips said, laughing.

“She’s just a special person,” Marinoff responds.

“She’s played at the Olympics, everything over there doesn’t always go well, even their campaign in Rio wasn’t fantastic and that was pretty tough.

“She’s got a wealth of knowledge of how to deal with things, I think that’s probably the main impact she’s had on me, obviously me being 19. I don’t have much experience how to deal with things because I’ve had it pretty easy my whole life.”

Phillips’ wife Tracy Gahan, a former basketball teammate, gave birth to their twins, a boy and girl, Blake and Brooklyn, in November.

“They’re the best part of my life,” Phillips said.

“There’s nothing I have ever done that’s any better than have kids with my wife.

“It’s the best thing but the hardest thing … I’ve just got a really good balance. Staying with my parents (Greg and Julie), they have just been amazing. Without them we would have packed up and gone, this is too hard to come from America and try to do this alone.

“It’s been such a really good distraction as well. Win, lose or draw I get to come home and just hang out with them.”

Phillips and her family will head back to America at the end of April to begin her WNBA pre-season with Dallas.

She’ll be the fittest she’s ever been after the “massive shock to the system” of playing on AFL grounds.

“You really just get an appreciation of how hard this game is, it’s by far the hardest game to play in the world,” she said.

Her success has garnered plenty of interest from her WNBA teammates, opening up endless possibilities for future AFLW rookies.

The 196cm, 24-year-old centre Theresa Plaisance is especially keen.

“Looking at how successful the season’s been so far … and the fact that footy’s just bloody fun to play, we’ll find a lot more codehoppers or girls who were playing football before and just never had that pathway,” she said.

“A couple of my WNBA teammates are massive fans. One of them (Plaisance) reckons she’d be a great ruckman. She’s not a fantastic runner, but she’s like, ‘I can work on it’.

“The amount of girls that are following it overseas just on my social media (is huge). They’re massive fans of it and they’re loving it.”

Phillips is constantly asked, what’s next?

With the WNBA season to come followed by AFLW02, the 2018 Commonwealth Games and Tokyo Olympics in 2022, there’s a lot of options

“It’s kind of nice just to have such a short goal at the moment. When you look too far ahead you can miss what you’re doing now, and that’s something I didn’t want to do,” Phillips said.

“I just want to give footy my best shot and then go back to Dallas and that’s all I really want to know right now.”

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Hope she's not waiting for any Olympics happening in 2022.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

NTRabbit posted:

Her success has garnered plenty of interest from her WNBA teammates, opening up endless possibilities for future AFLW rookies.

Yessss, poach those Americans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
James Hird has a gig writing for the Hun now, sounds like he's doing a lot better.

Also apparently Lockett is right into his endurance motorbike racing which might be one reason he lost so much weight

• Locked thread