Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

The more I think about it the more I think it would have made more sense if Nami were the one inventing these things. Especially since she gained all this weather knowledge from her 2 years. Instead, apparently she taught it to Ussop, who then actually implemented it. I know Ussop is kind of the Batman of the group, but Nami is the one that actually knows the weather stuff and seems to be the only one that can use the baton. Without Ussop, Nami would be nearly completely defenseless.

I got the impression that she made some upgrades on her own, or at least had the Weather Sages make upgrades, during the timeskip. She needed Usopp's help for another set of upgrades made on Zou, which involved Pop Greens (which aren't really within Nami's expertise).

Also, while Nami (with the Clima-Tact) and Usopp are about equal combat-wise, Nami is a lot more useful outside of combat. Usopp being the inventor of the Clima-Tact gives them relatively comparable levels of usefulness. (Notice that the two best fighters, Luffy and Zoro, have essentially no other skills.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I notice with the new climate baton twirling they turned Nami into even more of a cheerleader, especially with the new outfit.

I dunno about Nami being more useful outside of combat, I mean, Usopp has like 9000 followers to call on for anything!

The current arc does slightly annoy me with the whole 'oh hey the crew's finally back together, let's immediately split up again' but hopefully they'll be back together soon. Though quite why they're sending Franky away with the Kano kingdom team I don't know, he's hardly stealthy and is pretty much needed around for the Thousand Sunny's weirder functions.

I appreciate the reappearance of Vivi and Shirahoshi going to the kingdom summits, maybe they'll get the chance to braid each other's hair and talk about boys their adventures with the Straw Hats before something bad inevitably happens.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

I notice with the new climate baton twirling they turned Nami into even more of a cheerleader, especially with the new outfit.

I dunno about Nami being more useful outside of combat, I mean, Usopp has like 9000 followers to call on for anything!

The current arc does slightly annoy me with the whole 'oh hey the crew's finally back together, let's immediately split up again' but hopefully they'll be back together soon. Though quite why they're sending Franky away with the Kano kingdom team I don't know, he's hardly stealthy and is pretty much needed around for the Thousand Sunny's weirder functions.

I appreciate the reappearance of Vivi and Shirahoshi going to the kingdom summits, maybe they'll get the chance to braid each other's hair and talk about boys their adventures with the Straw Hats before something bad inevitably happens.

I guess Oda got bored of the same crew being together all the time and all of them needing something to do and someone to beat in every arc. This way he can do different stories without needing someone specifically for each Strawhat to fight, like a master swordsman for Zoro or a master female assassin for Nami or whatever. I think we'll probably see more of this from now on. It also gives him a chance to use a new character like Law or Pedro without requiring that many more baddies per island.

Ussop can also fish and scout and stuff. I think the only character without a use outside combat is Zoro, but he seems to serve the role of First Mate so I guess that's something.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The Funimation dub of Binks Sake is absolutely outstanding.. I was expecting it to be good, but it was gorgeous, the moment with Brook singing by himself was pitch perfect.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Funimation dub of Binks Sake is absolutely outstanding.. I was expecting it to be good, but it was gorgeous, the moment with Brook singing by himself was pitch perfect.

Brooks english VA is the only one thats definitely better than the japanese, imo.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

mabels big day posted:

Brooks english VA is the only one thats definitely better than the japanese, imo.

Hancock's VA is really great too actually, I think she might be in that club as well.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Zoro tho.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think they're even.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I like Sabat but Nakai is Zoro to me and the way he shouts is the best.

I agree that Sinclair is definitely the best of the bunch tho. I haven't seen much of the dub but the clip someone posted of his "Death is never an apology" speech blew me away.

I was also a big fan of Franky in Unlimited Adventure but I haven't seen him much in the show. I like what I've heard though, it's not as good as the original but it's distinct and better than trying to copy perfection.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Anime filler finally being put to good use by animating an old cover story, even if it took like 10 years.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Fawf posted:

Anime filler finally being put to good use by animating an old cover story, even if it took like 10 years.

Which one?

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Kild posted:

Which one?

Wapol from what I'm hearing.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Raposa posted:

Wapol from what I'm hearing.

Yeah Wapol. It was quick but appreciated and a more entertaining use of time than an episode about wrapping a bandage around an elephant's leg. And it shows they're willing to go back to animate that stuff which will be handy when Enel finally attacks with his robot army (this is an example and not manga spoilers)

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
why the gently caress haven't they been animating cover arcs and fights that only appear in flashbacks like sabo vs that general or ace and blackbeard since the start toei is super retarded

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I think the reason was the first couple they did weren't popular, or ratings were bad. Something like that.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

I think the reason was the first couple they did weren't popular, or ratings were bad. Something like that.

It's hard to imagine people are more willing to tune in to flashbacks or super padded out episodes that don't even advance the plot than actual interesting new material, though I guess it's possible. :sigh:

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So it looks like we are getting some filler next week!

Looks like the Sanji Rescue Team are going undercover at the Navy to steal food.

Hope it's as good as the last time they infiltrated the Navy after Skypedia.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was too lazy to post this back when I actually moved here, but I walk past this work of art every day now:

I also saw some pirate flags on a ship on the river nearby, but that's probably less specifically One Piece related.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shadow0 posted:

I was too lazy to post this back when I actually moved here, but I walk past this work of art every day now:

I also saw some pirate flags on a ship on the river nearby, but that's probably less specifically One Piece related.

That's real cool.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrew_1985 posted:

So it looks like we are getting some filler next week!

Looks like the Sanji Rescue Team are going undercover at the Navy to steal food.

Hope it's as good as the last time they infiltrated the Navy after Skypedia.

I was also excited for this and it turned out to be a pretty fun episode. Not sure why they brought Luffy along for a stealth mission instead of just super thief Nami, but I guess if your goal is to fight literally everyone on the island, then it's a sure-fire plan.
The new guy reminded me a ton of Luffy. Something about his face.
The island looks pretty small so I'm not sure how many episodes this arc will be, but probably not enough to fix any of the padding issues, sigh.

Edit: No new posts in like 3 weeks, huh? Guess I'll just edit my post.

They went full DBZ there in the last fight. I think they even used some of the same sound effects.

And these beam fights are pretty lame and nonsensical, especially since they aren't even beams, they are supposed to be punches. They seem to end every arc with one as well. Caesar, Do Flamingo, and now this nobody.

No explanation at all was given for Grount's weird arm, and I'm surprised the Navy took in a guy who apparently wipe out an entire town.

Also Luffy just has lightning powers now?

Also also, I noticed that Carrot puts on gloves or something when attacking; what's up with that? And they never explained why Minks can generate electricity. Is it because of the fur? (Though then I guess Chopper would be capable of this too)

They only did 3 episodes of filler though. I wonder if that's going to make any difference.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 2, 2017

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
So is the pacing any better yet and actually worth watching, or is it still 20 minutes of running in place + 6 minutes of recap every episode?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Pretty much not. They're still dragging things out and introducing tons of new characters, plus weird plot holes Luffy getting poisoned by eating a fish even though he's been shown to be immune to poison since the hormone treatment at Impel Down but then again it's early in the new arc.

Shadow0 posted:

Also also, I noticed that Carrot puts on gloves or something when attacking; what's up with that? And they never explained why Minks can generate electricity. Is it because of the fur? (Though then I guess Chopper would be capable of this too)

Carrot's gloves are her weapon, they have sharp claws in the fingertips. The electricity powers are part of the Mink's martial art kind of like the Navy has their specific powers (Tekkai, Shigan, etc.). Pekoms and Bepo likely left Zou before learning it which is why they don't lightning up in fights.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

Pretty much not. They're still dragging things out and introducing tons of new characters, plus weird plot holes Luffy getting poisoned by eating a fish even though he's been shown to be immune to poison since the hormone treatment at Impel Down but then again it's early in the new arc.

That happened in the manga too. I guess it's just a really powerful poison.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
im pretty sure they flat-out state that even a sliver of that fish's flesh is instadeath, so even someone with super antibodies like Luffy is gonna be adversely affected

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Luffy is more or less immune to poison due to developing antibodies for virtually all poisons after Impel Down. If he'd eaten the "normal" dose of a sliver of the fish he would have been ok, however he ate a Luffy portion, i.e. the whole drat thing.

Sort of like if your immune system was strong enough to never again catch the flu, and then you chugged a 50 gallon barrel of pure bird flu. You're going to get the flu.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They comment a lot on how Luffy should already be dead, so yeah, they did recognize and focus on Luffy's near-immunity (which surpasses even Cesar's gas, though not his superweapon) and I think the point was to highlight how insanely deadly it was so as to increase the impact when introducing Reiji's power, showing it being used on a poison which could kill even Luffy. I guess her and Cesar will have some interesting dynamic later.

Also, I really love the naming convention of all the siblings. The longer One Piece goes on the less it keeps with its time period though.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK the latest episode was alright. Not much recap and although there wasn't much action it helps set the scene and helps characterise Big Mom and Totto Land especially with the musical number at the end. Is this Jam or Blood? Who cares Imma eat it..

I like that it's a twisted parody of Disney Fairytale lands (everyone's welcome regardless of race etc., everything's made of chocolate so eat what you want) built on the back of horrible oppression (don't eat the wrong thing or you get jailed, countless other islands destroyed to get the produce to build the houses etc.).

I do worry that we're in for another wacky miniboss brigade with far too many characters. Hopefully we won't have a bunch of side stories explaining their backstory and why they're so hosed up (lookin at you Senor Pink).

Also given the number of animated objects we're seeing I suspect that's someone's devil power. Doubt it's Big Mom herself though. It is an interesting parallel with the toys of Dressrosa though, and given the above oppression etc. I wonder if they're really just animated objects or if they've had people's souls forced into them or something.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've just caught up on the anime and I've decided to become a manga boy from now on but here are my thoughts on what's happening in the anime.

I loved Mom's introduction and I think a musical like that works best in anime so I'm glad that was my first experience of it.

I just don't see how they can expect to slip in and out with Sanji, surely this will become a big mess. I dunno if it'll end with them taking on Mom though because we've had so much exposition about what a poo poo Kaido is and how he's their target.

I wondered if Pudding would be attractive or not. When they showed a bunch of individual features that looked normal I thought when they showed her whole face it'd be a really weird shape or something.

This latest episode with Jimbei makes me think that perhaps the main function of this arc is for him to fully join the Straw Hats and go to Wano with them and Sanji. I just can't imagine our first Emperor fight is going to take place with such little build up (even if this becomes a long arc) and more importantly without a full Straw Hat crew.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

And half of those were the Dressrosa Arc.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

:toot:

And here's to 1000 more!

(But only if they fix the pacing)

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Hello friends. I've never really watched much anime except for dragonball z and yu yu hakusho as a kid, but I saw some clips from this almost accidentally, and I like it a lot. I watched Films Gold and Z to get a taste, and now I'm on ep 23 of the show and it's good stuff. Kind of tough to go back to episodes without my dude Franky though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Hello friends. I've never really watched much anime except for dragonball z and yu yu hakusho as a kid, but I saw some clips from this almost accidentally, and I like it a lot. I watched Films Gold and Z to get a taste, and now I'm on ep 23 of the show and it's good stuff. Kind of tough to go back to episodes without my dude Franky though.

This is all you need to watch and then you're caught up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St7Bl5znqlg

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Just so you know, you should probably stop watching the anime and switch to the manga around the Impel Down arc if not sooner.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Or rock both, or whatever your heart tells you. Welcome aboard! The cruise is a good place to be on.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Unless the manga comes with an MP3 of luffy laughing it will be a tough transition

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Hooooly poo poo bigmama is a massive slut. I guess the good news is she doesn't discriminate against race when it comes to pumping babies out.

I can't wait for Luffy to interrupt the wedding, I was hoping with Puddy and Sanji as well. Good episodes.

I've always loved Jimbei's design, has always reminded me of Wind Waker Zelda. He would fit right in as a Zora! Him joining the crew is awesome.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

So I'm like 70ish eps deep and I've been sad more times than I was expecting to be.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

So I'm like 70ish eps deep and I've been sad more times than I was expecting to be.

Strong men also cry... (Big Lebowski quote)

One Piece is potent stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
One Piece is a real tear jerker at parts. I did not expect it going into it either.